The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales v England prediction

+22
robbo277
t1000advancedprototype
yappysnap
majesticimperialman
TJ1
Heaf
stub
lauriehow
dragonbreath
tomhughesnice
rainbow-warrior
Cyril
nathan
Barney McGrew did it
nobbled
doctornickolas
maestegmafia
RubyGuby
Jimpy
AlastairW
Duty281
sirBiggles
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wales v England prediction - Page 2 Empty Wales v England prediction

Post by sirBiggles Fri 15 Mar 2013, 4:03 am

First topic message reminder :

My prediction is that you will see England play this game in a highly professional manner, which will translate to the most boring, forward driven, defensive, stick it up your jumper game of rugby ever witnessed.

I say this not as a wind up, but just think the pscychie between the two teams are different.

I believe that if Wales where in England's position, the romance of a Grand Slam out weighs everything else. However, I believe the English professional mindset will say the 6 Nations Title is the goal and its the same title and trophy, Grand Slam or not.

I therefore predict a tight but defensive game plan by England where their objective will be to protect their 7 lead.

If they had done a job last weekend against Italy, things would likely be different, as they'd have a bigger safety net on the title, and hence likely to risk a bit for the Grand Slam. Or personally I would have preferred a smaller points difference, which would have got closer to a winner takes all. But as it stands I can see England playing a game just to protect its position, which is likely to be a massive anticlimax.

I hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be a cracker.....

Any thoughts ?

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Wales v England prediction - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales v England prediction

Post by stub Fri 15 Mar 2013, 6:56 pm

Think you're right Robbo - England need to stay disciplined and not get too drawn into the passion of the occasion. Play their own game and hopefully, just hopefully, get back to playing with some flow and verve.

Then panic in the last 20 if required!!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:10 pm

TJ wrote:I hope they remember its an entertainment business

I've said all along that I believe the onus is on the home side to do the entertaining and it's true in this case, more so because Wales have to win by a certain margin and England only really have to win.

I expect it to be nip and tuck for the majority of the game and then Wales will probably have to go for it towards the end if they are bothered about the championship.

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:23 pm

I think the dream situation for the neutral is to have Wales 3 points up going into the last few minutes - Wales need a try to win the Championship, England need a try for the Grand Slam. Game on!

I don't think my heart could take that though!

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:44 pm

That would certainly be entertaining...

An easily possible scenario too.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:45 pm

"Entertaining" quite possibly incorrect word choice on reflection!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:10 pm

Probably the most stressfull way for the game to go, won by a dg after 20+ phases in extra time, ala a Quins game I watched a few seasons back.

Saying that, I honestly don't think i've ever seen Flood or Farrel kick a succesful drop goal!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:14 pm

I think Wales, based on their greater experience. Many of this squad have won 3 grand slams and got to a world cup semi final.

Home advantage, more streetwise, I think Wales will see the game out, we've dogged out 3 hard results, as well as the extra rest day we have enjoyed after an easy ish game against Scotland, compared to the blood and guts approach England had to fight off against Italy.

Hand on heart I just think the New Zealand game was a fluke result, while England really haven't done too much this 6 nations.

Wales 23-18 England
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:18 pm

I think England will go out to kick to victory and defend like demons, they have selected Croft which tells me they will attack the Welsh lineout and then look for pens/dgs.

Wales on the other hand will have to go for broke.

If they score a try early then i think they will go on to break England down, if they fail to score a try first half and are more than a score off England then I predict an England win

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 15 Mar 2013, 9:00 pm

Probably Wales by 10-15 if Eng play like last week. If they play as they can.. 3 points either way.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 15 Mar 2013, 9:22 pm

Shifty wrote:I think Wales, based on their greater experience. Many of this squad have won 3 grand slams and got to a world cup semi final.

Home advantage, more streetwise, I think Wales will see the game out, we've dogged out 3 hard results, as well as the extra rest day we have enjoyed after an easy ish game against Scotland, compared to the blood and guts approach England had to fight off against Italy.

Hand on heart I just think the New Zealand game was a fluke result, while England really haven't done too much this 6 nations.

Wales 23-18 England

I worry that you may be right there.

I don't think the 6N's will be the place for us to show it too much pressure, history and baggage around it to allow for fun rugby. Every game is make or break for someones career so the coaches and players seem to spend most of the time papping themselves.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 15 Mar 2013, 9:35 pm

It'll be tight Yappy but I reckon it will be OK.

Tight win for England I think. Games like the NZ one don't happen that often and I'm sure it won't be like that tomorrow BUT we can get a result I reckon.

23-18 would be a nightmare result wouldn't it? Much rather 26-18 if it has to go that way..

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:26 pm

I have an uneasy feeling Farrell won't be confident kicking wise which may be the decider. He may well not feel comfortable with the follow through as that will stretch the damaged muscles. Anyway, it's going to be tight either way. Hope it's a good game.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:30 pm

aitchw wrote:I have an uneasy feeling Farrell won't be confident kicking wise which may be the decider. He may well not feel comfortable with the follow through as that will stretch the damaged muscles. Anyway, it's going to be tight either way. Hope it's a good game.

There are a number of key England players recently recovered from injury in the starting line up. Launch bury, Parling, Croft and Farrell.

Any reoccurrence would weaken the team a great deal. It might be quite a risk.

Trust me we know all too well in Wales how injury can ruin your chances.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:34 pm

Indeed you do, Maes, a lot of squad building needed all round I think.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lauriehow Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:36 pm

I have had a run through the stats and can see that England concede very few pens, while discounting the Scottish aberration, Wales go about 8 or 9.

I feel it will come down to that factor, along with tackling, where Wales got up to around 98% last time and have been improving, and the vital breakdown and scavenging, where I hope Tips and Warbs can do well, one mowing them down around the ankles, the other being the jackler. Walsh seems to let the game flow there so that could prove a potent source of possession if not pens. It's all so tight! Wales by 7 for me. But that is just hope.

lauriehow

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:37 pm

aitchw wrote:Indeed you do, Maes, a lot of squad building needed all round I think.

All those injuries to key players have bolstered our squad massively, a weakness is exposed one minute and diminished the next.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2