The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indian Wells Match Thread (Nadal wins!)

+29
Jeremy_Kyle
invisiblecoolers
Henman Bill
Josiah Maiestas
ALPanorak
lags72
socal1976
Chydremion
JuliusHMarx
kingraf
HM Murdock
lydian
Haddie-nuff
carrieg4
summerblues
laverfan
CAS
banbrotam
User 774433
Cogen
Mad for Chelsea
Born Slippy
LuvSports!
ryan86
Jahu
Danny_1982
CaledonianCraig
The Special Juan
Silver
33 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Indian Wells Match Thread (Nadal wins!) - Page 3 Empty Indian Wells Match Thread (Nadal wins!)

Post by Silver Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rafael Nadal defeats Juan Martin Del Potro to win Indian Wells 2013! 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Nadal's route to the title:

R1: Bye
R2: Ryan Harrison (7-6, 6-2)
R3: Leonardo Mayer (Walkover)
R4: Ernests Gulbis (4-6, 6-4, 7-5)
QF: Roger Federer (6-4, 6-2)
SF: Tomas Berdych (6-4, 7-5)
F: Juan Martin Del Potro (4-6, 6-3, 6-4)

Updated draw on the ATP site.

Last edited by Silver on Tue 19 Mar 2013, 4:22 am; edited 12 times in total

Silver

Back to top Go down

Indian Wells Match Thread (Nadal wins!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Indian Wells Match Thread (Nadal wins!)

Post by The Special Juan Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:04 am

I'm going to bed.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Indian Wells Match Thread (Nadal wins!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Indian Wells Match Thread (Nadal wins!)

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:05 am

Del Potro double-break up and leads 4-1. I see that as the final nail in Andy's coffin. Well played Del Potro but physically draining as this match has been I see only one winner V Djokovic.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:06 am

Good night Vienna. If Delpo sees this out which he surely will, thoroughly deserved. Best I've seen him play in a long long time.

Murray simply too aggressive... Which I never thought I'd say!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:07 am

So disappointing. He's not coming back from a double break down.

Annoying because he's so close to Federer's #2 spot! Not going to take it for a while now unless he wins the title in Miami... which is a reach right now.

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:09 am

The No.2 slot would be nice but that can wait. I'd sooner see him have a strong clay court season and win another slam this year and the No.2 slot would take care of itself.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:11 am

So so poor from Murray here.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:12 am

Red wrote:So so poor from Murray here.

Not poor. Just not the normal high standards he sets plus give credit for how well Del Potro has played.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:14 am

Hmm, Murray's definitely feeling the heat. His technique on the serve is flagging a bit. Match almost done and dusted, good save on first MP there though.

Ouch, never nice to see a double on match point...second this tournament, after Raonic.

Last edited by Silver on Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:15 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:The No.2 slot would be nice but that can wait. I'd sooner see him have a strong clay court season and win another slam this year and the No.2 slot would take care of itself.

Yeah hopefully he'll pick up some points on the clay and #2 will happen soon enough. The sooner the better so that he can guarantee avoiding Djokovic's half. Nadal's comeback has been impressive but Djokovic is still inarguably the major force in the game right now.

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:15 am

No complaints from me as Del Potro has beaten Murray deservedly so. That is the best I have seen Juan play against Andy whilst Murray was not consistently excellent enough. Sums his night up that he lost the match on a double fault. Del Potro wins 6-7 6-3 6-1.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:16 am

I wonder if Juan can now mount a consistent challenge to break into the top four?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:17 am

Red wrote:So so poor from Murray here.

It is... But lets not take anything away from Delpo.

He has been consistent and mentally rock solid. This is Delpo of old and I've been thoroughly impressed with him.

From Murray's perspective he'll be disappointed with his performance, and I'm gutted we don't get a Murray Djokovic match... But Delpo has long been touted as the man to bridge the gap between the top 4 and the rest and on that form he could.

He could turn a top 4 into a top 5. Well played Delpo.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:22 am

Wouldn't call it poor - more inconsistent than poor. Poor detracts a lot from Del Potro's performance. Anyway night all.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:23 am

I stated in the 'Wells' thread that DP would win - simply because Andy is woefully undercooked

You don't make 49 unforced errors in a 3 set match without something being wrong with your radar

However, it's been a good few days - no major players beaten, but no disasters (like previous years)

For me DP should nothing we don't know, a devastating player when he can keep fully fit for all the match. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen in Slams

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:27 am

Unlucky Murray, and commiserations to his fans. He'll be back at Miami and will challenge again, no doubt.

Only saw a limited amount of the match but JMDP looked good and mentally tough, I'm pleased he's through. Onward to the impenetrable wall that is Novak...

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:28 am

Cogen wrote:Not going to take it for a while now unless he wins the title in Miami... which is a reach right now.

I don't think it's impossible for him to win at Miami. He reached the final last year and won it in 2009 and it's his second home. He took a risk in not playing after the Aus and it caught up with him - but he'll probably feel the benefit when we get to Wimbledon

Whilst it was a good DP performance and well done to him, Andy made so many unforced errors it wasn't true. That can be rectified, by simply being mentally sharper because he's playing competitive matches

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:31 am

Bizarre performance by Andy. Never thought I would say this but he was far too aggressive. Should've wound it in a bit before going all out guns blazing. That said I liked the fact he took his FH on and used it as the main focus of his attack. Thought his kicker serve was well executed. Naturally not being an aggressive player will bite you in the backside and it did tonight.

Credit to Delpo. That was a gutsy display. clap

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Sat 16 Mar 2013, 2:35 am

Tsonga and Berdych are fabulous players, but Del Potro is the special one. He is a sleeping giant, if his game clicks he will be unstoppable. Had he not got injuired I reckon he'd have snuck in a stint at Number 1, even Roger said it himself

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 16 Mar 2013, 4:00 am

@iC... your boy Del Potro has done well today. rose The commentators made a reference to USO 2009 today. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 16 Mar 2013, 5:07 am

ryan86 wrote:I hate the player-level camera angle.
Drives me crazy.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 6:27 am

Well played Del Potro clap

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 16 Mar 2013, 7:09 am

Shame I never saw the match but my money was on Delpo.. he has a new found confidence and I think he will do well this season.. clap well done Juan Martin

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:03 am

Yep, my money was on Delpo too. I was obviously hoping for another result but Murray just has not played well enough this tournament. Delpo played very well.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:34 am

Great match, well played JM although Andy worryingly got an attack of serving yips at the end. JM should use the slice more often, adds variety.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 16 Mar 2013, 8:52 am

Losing to DelPo is nothing to be ashamed of. I think only Novak has no trouble with him out of the top 4. It was a decent enough week for Sir Andrew; he's bridged the gap to The Fed and was probably only let down by a lack of matches in the end. He'll win Miami (maybe!!).

As for DelPo, I'd love to see him go on and win but as I've mentioned, Novak maybe steamroll this tournament now. None of the other 3 left now have much of a chance, but if DelPo plays like that then he has a shout.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 16 Mar 2013, 9:01 am

Delpo will be fatigued tomorrow...the match lasted much longer, was much more intensive and started an hour after Djokovic finished at peak daytime temperature. Novak has a huge advantage (although not his fault) when the next match is probably less than 24 hours later.

I read this about Novak..."Djokovic earlier looked in prime form, utterly dominating Jo Wilfried Tsonga for a runaway 6-3 6-1 victory. The world No 1 has improved this season, with his serve especially more potent. He was taxed so little by the Frenchman that, despite the temperatures, he headed straight to the players’ warm up lawn for a game of football immediately afterwards." !!!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 16 Mar 2013, 9:23 am

The Special Juan wrote:As for DelPo, I'd love to see him go on and win but as I've mentioned, Novak maybe steamroll this tournament now. None of the other 3 left now have much of a chance, but if DelPo plays like that then he has a shout.
I think you are over-estimating Novak a little!

He's definitely the favourite but his form has been a little patchy this tournament - periods of excellence followed by periods of mediocrity.

I think a consistently good performance from any of the remaining 3 would give Novak trouble.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 10:54 am

Murdoch - it was a pretty gruelling match between Murray and Delpo and Delpo is a big unit. Novak had a really comfortable quarter final and will be much better physically.

Plus Novak is very unlikely to have the kind of day Murray had with so many errors. I see Novak winning relatively comfortably. Maybe a tight first set and then an easy second set as Delpo tires.

The other semi is a bit tougher to call and I'm gonna go for Berdych in three sets.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:32 am

It really depends which Novak turns up. If he plays well, he wins comfortably.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:46 am

My money is on Rafa in the final.. I think JM might just upset Novak..but I wont put money on that one Very Happy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:49 am

Berdych vs Djokovic

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 16 Mar 2013, 12:10 pm

djokovic vs nadal

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 16 Mar 2013, 12:41 pm

Djoko and Rafa have to be the favorites, but I would prefer Delpo and Berdych. Crying or Very sad

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 16 Mar 2013, 12:54 pm

My preference is Nadal v Djokovic on a slow-high bouncing Blue Clay (IW - not Madrid). It will be like watching Boxing.

The slowest sand-pit west of Mississipi is IW, while the Miami is the eastern sand-pit.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:06 pm

I think the blue clay of Madrid plays faster than IW, LF.

Nadal is all wrong for Berdych in terms of styles. Unless Berdych has a serving day, Nadal should be out of there in two sets.

JMDP vs Djoko is an interesting match as I feel from a purely technical perspective, Del Potro should always have a chance, but I feel Djoko will squeeze through, and if he has a good day, march through.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:08 pm

laverfan wrote:My preference is Nadal v Djokovic on a slow-high bouncing Blue Clay (IW - not Madrid). It will be like watching Boxing.
When you put it like this, I agree. For the final, I would probably like to see Rafa vs Nole even though I had rather see them both lose in the SF. I know I am hard to please here Smile

Nole vs Rafa would be interesting. After 2011, Rafa succeeded in turning the losing streak around but 2012 Nole was not the same as 2011 Nole. Nole is now playing better again, so will be interesting to see if Rafa can still take him out.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:11 pm

Even if Nadal does sneak past Berdych, he has no chance against Djokovic, his form is nowhere near previous levels.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:16 pm

Even as a Nadal fan, I cant see him beating Djokovic at this stage of the come back.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:21 pm

Red wrote:Even if Nadal does sneak past Berdych, he has no chance against Djokovic, his form is nowhere near previous levels.

This is your way of making nadal seem even better than he is right? As nadal is off form, according to you, a win over a peak djoko would enhance him further still right?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:24 pm

Tbh LS, I think that does probably play a role. A Nadal-Djokovic match is a no-lose match for Rafa. But the fact remains that Djokovic should put Rafa away should they meet
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:28 pm

Nadal is not yet at his best, I don't think anyone is really claiming this is the case.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:28 pm

kingraf wrote:Even as a Nadal fan, I cant see him beating Djokovic at this stage of the come back.
Glad to see someone talking sense.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:32 pm

Red wrote:Even if Nadal does sneak past Berdych, he has no chance against Djokovic, his form is nowhere near previous levels.

Yet he's still winning tournies, and will probably get to the IW final. Is this because we are in a new weak era?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:45 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Yet he's still winning tournies, and will probably get to the IW final. Is this because we are in a new weak era?
I'm trying to say he's playing good tennis, but not really at his best level. I think he faces a tough task against Berdych, and Djokovic is a very tough ask as we can all agree.

Don't know what exactly you are trying to say, although it's probably another immature jibe.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:48 pm

SR5 Red, SR5! Laugh

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:52 pm

By that argument Julian, the 90s must have been awful. As Agassi went from world nr. 141 meth head to GS winner in 8-9 months in 1999.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:54 pm

kingraf wrote:Even as a Nadal fan, I cant see him beating Djokovic at this stage of the come back.

Hehe, no need for "even" there. Either of these statements would have been better:

1. "Even as a Nadal fan, I cant see him beating Djokovic."

2. "As a Nadal fan, I cant see him beating Djokovic at this stage of the come back."

Wink

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 16 Mar 2013, 1:59 pm

but the 'even' adds emphasis to how 'desperate I should be to see Nadal victory, wouldnt you say?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 16 Mar 2013, 2:19 pm

Call it blind faith if you will .. but I believe Rafa can win this tournament.
He has improved with every match he has played and with a new found determination to prove to himself, if not everybody else, that he is back knee or no knee and with my neck stuck out I say Vamos Rafa king

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 16 Mar 2013, 2:23 pm

kingraf wrote:By that argument Julian, the 90s must have been awful. As Agassi went from world nr. 141 meth head to GS winner in 8-9 months in 1999.

If, by 8 - 9 months, you mean 22 months, then yes, you're right.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next