The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Artificial pitches

+6
GoodinTightSpaces
SecretFly
gowershowerpower
LondonTiger
Solid8
InjuredYetAgain
10 posters

Go down

Artificial pitches Empty Artificial pitches

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:29 am

Given the wet weather, all the 6N pitches took a hammering at scrum time especially. Assuming that you don't get 2nd degree burns from them, would you support (possibly even encourage) the use of astro pitches like Sarries one? I know that one of the back pitches at Murrayfield is artificial and I haven't heard any horror stories about injuries from it.
It must improve the spectacle and allow for better running rugby

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Artificial pitches Empty Re: Artificial pitches

Post by Solid8 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 12:30 pm

My uni had artificial pitches that the Sarries boys used to train on. They were fantastic, I never had any problem with them and think that it would greatly improve the standard of rugby in the 6N. I would imagine that Wales will be the first to adopt it given how bad the pitch at the MS can be and how much it has cost them over the years. When one of the unions pulls the trigger the others will follow suit (except Italy as they do not own their ground).

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Mar 2013, 12:42 pm

Solid8 wrote:My uni had artificial pitches that the Sarries boys used to train on. They were fantastic, I never had any problem with them and think that it would greatly improve the standard of rugby in the 6N. I would imagine that Wales will be the first to adopt it given how bad the pitch at the MS can be and how much it has cost them over the years. When one of the unions pulls the trigger the others will follow suit (except Italy as they do not own their ground).

Neither do France, but I heard the FFR were talking about building their own ground.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by gowershowerpower Mon 18 Mar 2013, 1:06 pm

is that like a blow up doll?

gowershowerpower

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 18 Mar 2013, 1:16 pm

I just think more money and better scientific approach to caring for real pitches might be the better deal. In the 21st century there really is no excuse for sod coming off a Professional sporting ground in clumps of the same shape as those laid down. No excuses in my eyes.

If modern drainage systems and rooting methods don't work it's because they..............don't work. 'Not working' is what I'd call massive engineering mistakes - especially given our well documented history for rain in these parts.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:07 pm

Interestingly, there was an article in yesterday's Scotsman saying that the SRU are actively looking at installing an astro turf pitch. In the long run, the maintenance costs are a lot less than having a team of groundsmen and the pitch can be rented out to clubs or even various other sports to help cash flow etc.
It looks like it is the future .........

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:11 pm

i played on one for the first time this year and have to say i hated it. true it is far easy to play running rugby on it but the ball takes huge bounces on the surface and despite the pitch being one of the most modern available the majority of our team suffer skinned knees and elbows. takes ages for those bad boys to heal and the stig like mad.

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 2:14 pm

GoodinTightSpaces wrote:i played on one for the first time this year and have to say i hated it. true it is far easy to play running rugby on it but the ball takes huge bounces on the surface and despite the pitch being one of the most modern available the majority of our team suffer skinned knees and elbows. takes ages for those bad boys to heal and the stig like mad.

I quite enjoyed playing on an artificial surface and found that it was no worse than playing on a pitch with sandy soil.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 26 Mar 2013, 2:23 pm

A Bear pelt Pitch? Expensive - yes. Controversial for animal rights people - yes. But dreamy to fall on

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 26 Mar 2013, 4:27 pm

Twickers is a composite pitch, it didn't cut up at all during the 6ns. I think that's the way forward. I believe it's 1/3 artificial 2/3 real? It was by far the best pitch during the competition (shame about the team!).
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Tue 26 Mar 2013, 4:48 pm

Not sure what sort of a pitch Croke Park has but from memory it held up very well when rugby matches were held there when new Landsowne was being built - and certainly did not cut up anything like the pitch in Lansdowne has done during the 6N.

Put simply, the Lansdowne pitch during the 6N was a disgrace and they don';t even have the lack of natural light excuse that Millenium stadium has for its sh1te pitch.

Gaa and hurling probably don't have as much impact on pitches as rugby but most of the Gaa teams who play in Croke Park are very positive about the surface.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by dgttaylor Tue 26 Mar 2013, 5:08 pm

Playing at Allianz Park tomorrow night so will be able to offer an opinion on Thursday morning.

dgttaylor

Back to top Go down

Post by mpc28 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 5:30 pm

[quote="brennomac"]Not sure what sort of a pitch Croke Park has but from memory it held up very well when rugby matches were held there when new Landsowne was being built - and certainly did not cut up anything like the pitch in Lansdowne has done during the 6N.

I just googled to see what surface The Liberty Stadium has and its Desso Grassmaster which is the same as Croke Park and Wembley. Its a surface composed of natural grass and artificial fibres apparently.

I cant speak for Croke Park or Wembley but i know the Liberty is always in fantastic condition and it holds wendyball, rugby and the occasional concert.

mpc28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down