The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does it make sense to have a Lions team full of welsh players?

+30
Notch
winchester
dragonbreath
kingjohn7
Ozzy3213
welshboii15
t1000advancedprototype
Taffineastbourne
Hound_of_Harrow
alive555
mikey_philVIII
R!skysports
majesticimperialman
100%beefy
Glas a du
gregortree
red_stag
irfon17
gowershowerpower
SecretFly
nathan
Biltong
offload
Geordie
screamingaddabs
LondonTiger
fa0019
maestegmafia
lostinwales
bsando
34 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Does it make sense to have a Lions team full of welsh players? - Page 3 Empty Does it make sense to have a Lions team full of welsh players?

Post by bsando Tue 19 Mar 2013, 2:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

Wales have played the wallabies 8 times since there last win against them in 2008. Of the 16 games played between these two teams since the new millennium, Wales have won only 2 and one draw.

England have beaten Australia 9 times out of 17 games played between the two nations since the new millennium. Win percentage of 52.9%

Ireland have won 3 out of 10 games played since new millennium and one draw. Win percentage of 35%

Scotland have won 2 out of 9 since the new millennium. Win percentage of 22.2%

Meanwhile, the team who will most likely be representing the majority of Lions XV positions, have a win percentage of only 15.625%

It's fair to say that Wales have had a very bad run of luck vs Australia. I could now go on to dis Wales as a team and conjure some excuses as to why there should be less Welsh players in the Lions, but I don't see the point. Plus, it ain't gonna happen anyway as Wales are the in form NH team at the moment and deserve to have the most players representing the Lions.

What I want to know is, which other players from England, Scotland and Ireland are going to give these Welsh players that little extra to secure a 3-0 white wash over Australia? Where have Wales gone wrong in the past? What does Gatland need to do to ensure the Lions don't play like the Welsh team that got white washed last summer?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Does it make sense to have a Lions team full of welsh players? - Page 3 Empty Re: Does it make sense to have a Lions team full of welsh players?

Post by 100%beefy Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:18 pm

Notch wrote:Basically there will be a lot of Welsh players in the squad, but the test side will be drawn from whoever performs well in the warm-up games as ever.

just like in 05 only the 'warm up' was RWC 03

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Does it make sense to have a Lions team full of welsh players? - Page 3 Empty Re: Does it make sense to have a Lions team full of welsh players?

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:29 pm

The bulk of the squad probably will be made up of Welsh and English( understandably, they have performed best recently) but Scotland and Ireland are the ones to have actually beaten them recently. Scotland did it away and Ireland in a massive game WC. Also the coaches that are going dont exactly have a good record against the Aussies(thinking it might only be Rowntree thats beaten them?). So perhaps we actually need some of that knowhow in the party. I didnt see the Scot game but heard that they bossed at the breakdown. Ireland played brilliantly against them( seem to remember the 'Choke tackle' being v effective.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:35 pm

I think a heavily Welsh and English test side is inneviteable. How many Scots and Irish will even make the trip? The only 3 Irish I would even consider starting would be Healy, Sexton or Best and I dont think I would start any of those.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:37 pm

kingjohn7 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:So we're agreed? We're on the one road all the way to Australia???? Laugh

Oh I can feel the brotherly love of it all....... God Bless the unifying power of The Lions

Im thinking(hoping) this is all just some lively fun before it starts and once it does we will all be behind whoever gets picked. I know we have all the other times. Truth is, depending on your shirt, you could make a decent case for your player over others. Risky says it well, it depends on the type of game and style we want to play and which players can deliver that. Problem I think we have is, that most of our(eng, wal, scot, ire) top players are fairly similar. For example, the centres that are 'on form' are IMO not going to that effective against the Aussies. Like Fa says, they are used to that direct approach and usually deal with it well. I think that whatever tight 5 we pick, it will be strong, and back row the same(but balance against theirs will be tough to decide). Scrum half, for me would be Youngs if we are on the front foot through the forwards, Phillips if we are getting bashed up. Fly half and centres, IMO, we are fooked. Wings???We got lots of talent but most are inexperinced/out of form. Lucky we still got some time left.

clap clap clap This is what i have been trying too say. When the tour kicks off it will be full support all the way. No matter what country he is from.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:42 pm

You have a very very strange way of saying it then Madge Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:05 pm

Risca Rev wrote:You have a very very strange way of saying it then Madge Headscratch

Maybe it is the way i tell um thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:07 pm

picard

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:24 pm

Well do you pick a team that has players that can win a 6Ns championship or select players that have and are capable of beating SH teams in their own back yard?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Tue 19 Mar 2013, 11:07 pm

winchester wrote:I think the final game of the 6 Nations has given Gatland the excuse, if he needed one, to pick a heavily Welsh Lions team. I think the core of the side should be Welsh and English. Wales have retained the 6 Nations but have a very poor record against the SH recently. England didnt turn up against Wlaes but have shown they have the mental strength to dismantly the All Blacks. It makes sense to balance out the two.

Ireland have both played and injured themselves out of real contention barring a few positions. Sexton and Healy looked nailed on but I would keep the Welsh tight 5 as a unit and start Farrell with Sexton a bench option if fit.

Scotland are a bit nfortunate insofar as their stand out performers are simply up against better Welsh or English players.

Exactly in what alternate Universe is Farrell a better player than Sexton

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 19 Mar 2013, 11:14 pm

No, as no Wales XV have registered a win over one of the 3 major SH nations in a international match since 2008.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:23 am

Whoever Gatland picks by, whatever method, if they win he's the greatest coach in the NH and if they lose then he's just another blxxdy useless Kiwi coach who shouldn't have been picked anyway.

Personally I see it being a squad with almost 1/2 the players being Welsh and about 1/2 the run on team being Welsh.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:40 am

Forget about these wins v Oz. A lot has changed in nearly a year and to be honest it's a bit like two balding men arguing over who has more hair. I am a firm believer in the old adage, you're only as good as your last game. How did they go for everyone? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Jello Biafra Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:33 am

If the Lions are Welsh dominated and using Gatlands Welsh tactics I will be feeling far more confident of victory, esp if he goes with a Welsh dominated back line - crash and bash won't work and from what i have seen the big Welsh backs are not particularly creative. There are bigger, faster, stronger and more skillful players in the NZ and SA SXV sides whom the Wallabies play regularly so fronting up against big centres and wingers won't pose too many problems. IMO the only nailed-on Welsh Lions starter is Halfpenny and perhaps the props. Wales had many chances against a depleted/weakened Wallaby outfit last year and failed. They certainly talk the talk well enough but a 0-5 record doesn't cut it. If Warren Gatland hasn't learned from the mistakes made last year, he will repeat them.

Jello Biafra

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:12 am

This Lions tour is really a travelling College Course.

Two or three Irish players, four or five Scots and six or seven English players are going to take about 25 Welsh players by the hands all the way down the yellow brick road to Oz and teach them (using colouring pencils, different shaped and coloured blocks, blackboards and by example on the field) how to beat the Aussies Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by gowershowerpower Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:26 am

removed - biltong

gowershowerpower

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:29 am

Jello Biafra wrote:If the Lions are Welsh dominated and using Gatlands Welsh tactics I will be feeling far more confident of victory, esp if he goes with a Welsh dominated back line - crash and bash won't work and from what i have seen the big Welsh backs are not particularly creative. There are bigger, faster, stronger and more skillful players in the NZ and SA SXV sides whom the Wallabies play regularly so fronting up against big centres and wingers won't pose too many problems. IMO the only nailed-on Welsh Lions starter is Halfpenny and perhaps the props. Wales had many chances against a depleted/weakened Wallaby outfit last year and failed. They certainly talk the talk well enough but a 0-5 record doesn't cut it. If Warren Gatland hasn't learned from the mistakes made last year, he will repeat them.

I thought Gatland was in NZ at the time nursing his ankles so they are not his mistakes to repeat. But what if he learnt from Howley's mistakes then maybe he won't repeat what he didn't do anyway. Just a thought.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by gowershowerpower Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:34 am

about as funny as my wife's piles?

that okay biltong?

gowershowerpower

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:35 am

gowershowerpower wrote:about as funny as my wife's piles?

that okay biltong?

Well there is a health issue and sanitary issue, but OK, if you want to share that type of info, why not?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gowershowerpower Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:37 am

well seeing as i have a real wife, and SF probably doesn't, how come this is alright but not that alright?

pppffftfttttt....mods. power trip.

gowershowerpower

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:38 am

I closed that window for you, gowers. I'm shouting down the chimney now.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by gowershowerpower Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:39 am

chimney?

it's an adit entry mate.

gowershowerpower

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:40 am

gowershowerpower wrote:well seeing as i have a real wife, and SF probably doesn't, how come this is alright but not that alright?

pppffftfttttt....mods. power trip.
Yes, Gowershowerpower, my ego trip only allows me to have you insult/offend yourself and not others. Rolling Eyes
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gowershowerpower Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:42 am

or my wife.

gowershowerpower

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:43 am

In this case yes.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:44 am

gowershowerpower wrote:chimney?

it's an adit entry mate.

Oh....? Well that explains the echo. Tell Gollum I want my ring back if you see him.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:46 am

More tea Vicar?

Does it make sense to have a Lions team full of welsh players? - Page 3 1347041234
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by gowershowerpower Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:46 am

Has your ring been stolen?

maybe biltong took it....I hear he is partial to a ring.

gowershowerpower

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:47 am

gowershowerpower wrote:Has your ring been stolen?

That one went over my head, but if it strokes my ego, then yes, I took it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:49 am

Thought you were married to a wife?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:49 am

Biltong wrote:

Em.... it's not about ego...it's about things a married man shouldn't be interested in....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:51 am

What's this thread title again?

POC for captain, BOD not to tour. You heard it here first...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:52 am

SecretFly wrote:
Biltong wrote:

Em.... it's not about ego...it's about things a married man shouldn't be interested in....
Enlighten me?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gowershowerpower Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:53 am

Quality SF....

gowershowerpower

Back to top Go down

Post by gowershowerpower Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:57 am

there's no light there bilt.

gowershowerpower

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:58 am

Biltong wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Biltong wrote:

Enlighten me?

It's before the watershed...... Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:58 am

gowershowerpower wrote:there's no light there bilt.
vomit
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:58 am

Biltong wrote:

Definitely not stroking your ego.

Look up the first definition of ring on the urban dictionary : Definition Here

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by gowershowerpower Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:00 pm

....I went to a curry house in Darwin once called 'Ring of Fire'...

Classic. Wouldn't get much punters down Gower though.

gowershowerpower

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:00 pm

it has an adit for an entrance..if that helps? Anyway..back to rugby boys!!!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3