The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watson burn out? Is this a joke? She's back!

+14
The Special Juan
Josiah Maiestas
JuliusHMarx
djlovesyou
Danny_1982
Cogen
lydian
super_realist
Henman Bill
Calder106
sirfredperry
YvonneT
HM Murdock
bogbrush
18 posters

Go down

Watson burn out? Is this a joke? She's back! Empty Watson burn out? Is this a joke? She's back!

Post by bogbrush Wed 20 Mar 2013, 5:36 am

Well I know that me talking about the WTA is a bit unusual (understatement) but I couldn't overlook this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21851851

Is burnt out quite the right expression? I mean, she's hardly ending a marathon stint is she?

Doesn't really sound like a future star of the game, I mean, if she was a top tenner she'd be playing a lot more than now wouldn't she? Sounds a bit wimpy.

Last edited by bogbrush on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Watson burn out? Is this a joke? She's back! Empty Re: Watson burn out? Is this a joke? She's back!

Post by HM Murdock Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:56 am

I just heard her interview on the radio and I share your surprise.

This was her 5th tournament of the year but her last tournament in 2012 was at the start of October, so it's not been a huge stint.

Incidentally, I looked at the WTA site to look that up. The site is emblazoned with Sharapova et al in posh dresses and wearing make make up. Is this how the WTA sees itself?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Watson burn out? Is this a joke? She's back! Empty Re: Watson burn out? Is this a joke? She's back!

Post by YvonneT Wed 20 Mar 2013, 8:52 am

Agreed burned out doesn't sound like the right expression given the number of matches she's played, but it sounds like she feels under a bit of pressure as number 1 Brit player (which is flip side to all the benefits hawkeye thinks Murray enjoys by being the object of the attention of Neil Harman et al).

The obvious omission in the article is what is her intention for the Fed Cup tie in Argentina - her talk of a break implies she won't play, which could be pretty crucial for GB's chances of making the World Group II. More poor journalism from the BBC not to even mention that.

I also agree with HM Murdoch that the way the WTA present their "product" is not a good representation of female athletes.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 20 Mar 2013, 8:56 am

HM Murdoch wrote:I just heard her interview on the radio and I share your surprise.

This was her 5th tournament of the year but her last tournament in 2012 was at the start of October, so it's not been a huge stint.

Incidentally, I looked at the WTA site to look that up. The site is emblazoned with Sharapova et al in posh dresses and wearing make make up. Is this how the WTA sees itself?
Er... well..... yes.

Very Happy
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 8:57 am

I am hoping it is a misconstrued jokes, though I doubt it. Clearly mentally she is not in the right place and her form is suffering. I think practice on the clay court for the upcoming clay swing might help her regain her form. I think her game is more suite toclay than HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:19 am

I would love to see Watson doing well but in my view she is just not a top 50 player and having effectively got "above herself" in the rankings she seems not to be able to hack it.
Robson, to me, is a much better bet for long-term success, with her big serve and big ground strokes. Alas, I think we'll see Heather fade away and stick around the lower reaches of the top 100 for most of her career. Hope I'm wrong.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:42 am

YvonneT wrote:Agreed burned out doesn't sound like the right expression given the number of matches she's played, but it sounds like she feels under a bit of pressure as number 1 Brit player (which is flip side to all the benefits hawkeye thinks Murray enjoys by being the object of the attention of Neil Harman et al).

The obvious omission in the article is what is her intention for the Fed Cup tie in Argentina - her talk of a break implies she won't play, which could be pretty crucial for GB's chances of making the World Group II. More poor journalism from the BBC not to even mention that.

I also agree with HM Murdoch that the way the WTA present their "product" is not a good representation of female athletes.

The Fed Cup tie with Argentina is scheduled for April 20/21. So hopefully a couple of weeks off now will give her time to clear her mind and get back in training before then.

Like others though I'm surprised that having made the breakthrough into the top 50 she seems to have lost the appetite to push on.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:36 am

I suppose you have to factor in she is very young, lots of travelling and missing her friends. Could be more emotional than physical.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:19 am

The tone of the interview I heard was totally pathetic.

She can't consider herself a winner with an attitude like that, perhaps not cut out to be a pro, far less a top one.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:10 pm

You know, its hard to be a pro and its easy to judge all these guys.

When you're not quite a top 10-20 player you've got to scrape the wins all the time - she doesn't have big weapons so has to grind it out. I also suspect she's been interviewed not long after losing and is reflecting negativity and mental strain without media training on the spur of the moment.

The pressure these guys put on themselves is huge, and she'll feel the full weight of LTA expectation on her back as well. So I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt this time...she's only 20 too and not used to media interviews as much as other leading players. There's a long road ahead of her yet. She just needs 2-3 weeks off - which she'll get anyway as clay starts in April.

However, what she needs to learn is to keep her mouth closed sometimes...I'm sure nearly every pro has felt like she does now...the difference they don't admit it because it makes you sound weak to your opponents - so this is her biggest mistake. Future opponents will remember these utterings and it gives them an unnecessary boost before they even step onto court against her.

Fear is the mindkiller (my favourite "Dune" book expression) - if your opponents have nothing to fear then you're making it easy for them. Next time, keep "schtumm" Heather, take the time out but just don't tell everyone. She needs media training for next time - feel it, just don't say it.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:43 pm

sirfredperry wrote:I would love to see Watson doing well but in my view she is just not a top 50 player and having effectively got "above herself" in the rankings she seems not to be able to hack it.

Although she doesn't have the all-out aggression many players have, Watson still has plenty of natural talent, and her place in the top 50 is entirely to be expected and deserved.

She was a junior slam winner and junior world #3, so to suggest she is not a top 50 player is a little silly in my opinion. I don't think Heather will ever become a top 10 player, which Robson has the potential to do if she tidies up her game, but she is still a solid player.

I haven't heard the interview, so I don't know what tone she was using. But right now I'd say what she needs more than anything is to see a sports psychologist.

(Edited for spelling)

Last edited by Cogen on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:07 pm

Cogen - agree with all of that.

Does Heather have the tools to be a top 10 potential slam winner? Not in my opinion. But she is still a talented player with lots going for her and deserves her place in the top 50. Rankings don't lie.

I've always thought Laura the more likely to be a slam contender purely as she has the weapons that Heather lacks. I think it will all come together for her at some point over the next year or two and we'll see a very quick ascent to the top of the game.

But when did we last have 2 players in the top 50 women in the world? In terms of how good they are we should be savouring this. It's disappointing hear such comments from Heather but I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt as she's still a relatively young and young people make mistakes.

Maybe after a couple of weeks off she'll feel refreshed and realise her comments were a little OTT.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:18 pm

It's just a turn of phrase. She means it in the sense that she's been playing a lot since the end of last season and she's feeling a bit jaded and in need of a rest.

Perfectly understandable in my opinion.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:27 pm

Depends on what she means by a break, 2 weeks fine, 1 month maybe anymore and she's just admitting to her opponents she's not got the minerals.

THere are hundreds of "young" sports people enduring the same sort of pressures and expectations, but I don't see them admitting defeat and the extent of their shortcomings and lack of fight quite so limply. It may well have been an immediate post patch frustration (she sounded suicidal almost) but it's not a very clever thing to say to the press. McIlroyesque in foot in mouth levels.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:30 pm

You're right dj. Sometimes we read too much meaning into off the cuff remarks of players. If I booked a few days holiday and told my boss I was feeling a bit burnt out, I doubt he or my colleagues would think of me as a loser. (No more than they already do, anyway Smile )

But, yes, to say it publicly was a bit naive. Ah the joys of youth!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:32 pm

I can't imagine she'll spend more than a month out. If she does, then maybe it is time to start worrying about her doing an "Annabel Croft", but until then I'm just expecting a short break.

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:46 pm

Might be good for her to come back for the Fed Cup match. As part of a team she would have lots of support on court and the camaraderie of the team atmosphere off court. I can imagine that it can get pretty lonely on the tour especially when things are not going well.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:06 pm

bogbrush wrote:Well I know that me talking about the WTA is a bit unusual (understatement) but I couldn't overlook this.

Is burnt out quite the right expression? I mean, she's hardly ending a marathon stint is she?

Doesn't really sound like a future star of the game, I mean, if she was a top tenner she'd be playing a lot more than now wouldn't she? Sounds a bit wimpy.
Either she trains much harder than she plays, or she's looking for an excuse as to why she's had a few heavy defeats.

Thirdly it might be what dj wrote, he is nearly always right cause he is a jedi wizzard
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:09 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Well I know that me talking about the WTA is a bit unusual (understatement) but I couldn't overlook this.

Either she trains much harder than she plays, or she's looking for an excuse as to why she's had a few heavy defeats.

Thirdly it might be what dj wrote, he is nearly always right cause he is a jedi wizzard

Jedi knight, surely? Wizzard was Roy Wood's band Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:18 pm

I have a hunch that she might be carrying a few knocks or something. Regardless of whether Hev is a potential top 20-30 player in the future or not, she's been losing to players she is much better than. Ok, the ladies game is much more unpredictable than the men's but she has been beaten by some players much lower in the rankings than her.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm

I hope it is a smokescreen. As I was a bit disappointed with her comments

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 20 Mar 2013, 7:57 pm

Just heard Watson on Radio5 Live saying that she was upset yesterday and is now back on track and playing her normal schedule, no breaks. She'll be playing Charleston next week. I suspect she's had a good talking to reading between the lines of what she was saying and how she came across.

So, much ado about nothing.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 20 Mar 2013, 8:08 pm

Good to hear that she has changed her tune. Young people are emotive and straight after a disappointing defeat she was probably not engaging her brain too much.

She's currently ranked higher than any British woman has been for a billion years so hopefully she got a good talking to but also had someone excentuating the positives. I'm sure she'll toughen up.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 20 Mar 2013, 8:12 pm

Yeah she said she was emotional after the close loss so it wasn't the best time to speak to the media. Clearly she's had a lot of discussion with her team and they've seen rational sense to press on. Like I said earlier she needs media training because it won't be the last time she loses a close match but can't react like this every time or else she'll be seen as weak by players and public...harming her reputation and maybe even sponsorships.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 20 Mar 2013, 8:38 pm

puts a bit of pressure on her next couple of matches but no big deal this

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:25 pm

606v2 has spoken and Heather has listened.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21871621
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 20 Mar 2013, 10:45 pm

lydian wrote:Yeah she said she was emotional after the close loss so it wasn't the best time to speak to the media. Clearly she's had a lot of discussion with her team and they've seen rational sense to press on. Like I said earlier she needs media training because it won't be the last time she loses a close match but can't react like this every time or else she'll be seen as weak by players and public...harming her reputation and maybe even sponsorships.

Probably it was more that she lost from 6/1 4/1 up because her level dropped dramatically. That's going to hurt. Hopefully she can regain her confidence as she's definitely a nice player to watch.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 8:23 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22020092

This helps to explain everything a bit. Here's hoping she is back to her best soon thumbsup

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:03 pm

I guess the mono explains a few things.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 04 Apr 2013, 3:45 am

Completely, that changes everything.

It's certainly a lot better than how it looked before, nothing she can do about that except get over it.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:42 am

Very bad luck on Heather, but at least she seems to be at the tail end of it and clearly did not have it as bad as Ancic (retired) and Soderling (still absent).
Glandular fever seems to be a bit of a problem on the professional tours. It's known as the kissing disease and can leave you under the weather for as much as two years.
At its worst - and Soderling has had it bad - it can be completely debilitating. In Heather's case, and as with Federer, she should be OK again soon.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:44 pm

Sad to hear about Heather. I had Mono three years ago. I cant remember how it felt though, as it wasnt really a physical pain, rather just a curious flat feeling.

I see that the doctor said one can recover from mono in two weeks. I remember being called a liar by the esteemed doctors of the old 606 because I claimed I had gotten over my dose in a matter weeks.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 04 Apr 2013, 3:10 pm

kingraf wrote:Sad to hear about Heather. I had Mono three years ago. I cant remember how it felt though, as it wasnt really a physical pain, rather just a curious flat feeling.

I see that the doctor said one can recover from mono in two weeks. I remember being called a liar by the esteemed doctors of the old 606 because I claimed I had gotten over my dose in a matter weeks.
I think she'll have to be more careful than that. No disrespect to you, but what these professional athletes put themselves through isn't exactly supportive of a fortnights recovery.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 04 Apr 2013, 3:17 pm

BB- I resent that, as I was comment as I was a semi-pro cricketer until an ACL tear slowed my progress. Nah I am kidding, of course you are right, it is a little different. My point was really directed at Heather, though more the ****** who called me a liar on the old 666
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down