The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is McGuigan a credible pundit? (did Steve Bunce burn ants as a child)

+13
BoxingFan88
Lumbering_Jack
Rowley
Seanusarrilius
azania
88Chris05
Mind the windows Tino.
captain carrantuohil
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
trottb
two_tone
TRUSSMAN66
seanmichaels
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is McGuigan a credible pundit? (did Steve Bunce burn ants as a child) Empty Is McGuigan a credible pundit? (did Steve Bunce burn ants as a child)

Post by seanmichaels Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:32 am

Just read the BBC article about McGuigan's views on the return of Hatton. It seems very contradictory given his previous statements regarding the Hitman's return. Given McGuigan's links to Sky, and that he is now in Frampton's corner, do we now need to take everything he says with a pinch of salt? I think in the last few years he has made some strange predictions and other contradictory statements regarding British boxers and just wonder whether he is now a corporate man rather than a boxing fan?

I actually agree with his comments but it seems 90% of people think Hatton's return is doomed.

Last edited by seanmichaels on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Is McGuigan a credible pundit? (did Steve Bunce burn ants as a child) Empty Re: Is McGuigan a credible pundit? (did Steve Bunce burn ants as a child)

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:36 am

I cannot stand the guy and neither can the other members of the SKy panel..If mccrory's face is anything to go by!!

He's sanctimonious.......knows better than anyone else and constantly interrupts anybody trying to get a point in!!

No offence Barry but you weren't Sugar ray leonard Mate!!

Maybe a complete shellacking off Nelson and not the cab driver might have helped his ego problems!!

Might have helped Nelson's bank account also...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is McGuigan a credible pundit? (did Steve Bunce burn ants as a child) Empty Re: Is McGuigan a credible pundit? (did Steve Bunce burn ants as a child)

Post by two_tone Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:39 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I cannot stand the guy and neither can the other members of the SKy panel..If mccrory's face is anything to go by!!

He's sanctimonious.......knows better than anyone else and constantly interrupts anybody trying to get a point in!!
No offence Barry but you weren't Sugar ray leonard Mate!!

Maybe a complete shellacking off Nelson and not the cab driver might have helped his ego problems!!

Might have helped Nelson's bank account also...

Can you imagine him and Buncey in the same room...carnage

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:39 am

Was wondering the same, sean. It looks like he's turning into another company man who is simply towing the line. A la Bunce.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:50 am

The only thing hatton has going for him...Is that he wasn't a fighter who relied on his speed or reflexes.....

However he lacks a dig at 147.....and will be even slower and easier to hit no doubt...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:54 am

I don't mind hearing his point of view buth e annoys me the way he interupts people to constantly go on about his view and not let others speak.

I don't know if I am alone here, but I am finding myself having more time for Johnny Nelson. I think hes probably the best they have on there.

My "Sky Like List" is as follows in favourite order, top to bottom:

Johnny Nelson
Jamie Moore
Spencer Oliver
Carl Froch (when hes in the studio)
Matt Macklin
McGuigan
Everybody else...........

then......

Glen McC
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:56 am

Maybe he's a snob when Nelson and mccrory are in there...

After all he's the only real bonafide decent champion when they are on..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:59 am

Very few of the current bunch of ex-pro pundits are up to much. Either they are over-excitable logorrhea sufferers (McKenzie), or they're immovable fence-sitters (McCrory), or they're completely unable to summarise a fight without some shade of patriotism colouring their arguments (above all, Woodhall).

McGuigan is no better or worse than any of these, although his constant exposure in print and on TV means that he is often guilty of all the above offences. The fact that he is an ex-pro does not, per se, make him a credible commentator, least of all when he is wearing a promoter/adviser's hat as well. That's a conflict of interest that really needs addressing.

The only ex-fighter who seems prepared to speak some sort of truth from time to time is Johnny Nelson. He also has an engaging turn of phrase and is generally quite watchable, something that in his case, will come as a tremendous surprise to anyone who saw him box.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:30 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:completely unable to summarise a fight without some shade of patriotism colouring their arguments (above all, Woodhall).

Never a truer word spoken. I don't think I have ever been as disgusted with a boxing pundit as I was after his witless, charmless and borderline racist summation of the Macklin v Sturm fight.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:34 am

It's the same everywhere and in every sport...they feel the need to be patriotic and I don't begrudge that!!

Same when I was growing up especially on ABC with Alex Wallau and co.....

However what I don't like is...when someone bashes a foreigner up it's easy...but when a Brit get bashed up he's always brave......

Although biased we tended to call fights as we saw them more...

Whilst patriotic we were less forgiving to defeated fighters..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:38 am

Possibly true, Truss, but damn all use to the viewer who actually wants to learn something from the supposed expert. Ask Woodhall who will win a fight and he will, absolutely invariably, pick the Brit. No sort of explanation or analysis needed, the Brit. Waste of time, in my book, and a pity, because when he has two neutrals to commentate on, he's one of the more articulate and informative summarisers in any sport.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:41 am

I have no problem with someone being a patriot, Truss. I couldn't give a monkeys about the lump of rock someone was born personally, but I don't have an issue with it if someone is passionate about their heritage, that is up to them. What I object to is people in his position, who are being paid handsomely to offer their professional opinion, and being so blinded by their patriotism that they fail to call the fight accurately. He couldn't separate himself from his loyalty to a UK fighter and subsequently made a complete arse of himself.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:43 am

You're right Mate..It's almost as If he is thinking about his career and picking someone else from an other Country is unpatriotic and a bad career move!!!!!

Bit like Bunce picking a nineteen stone Williams against Vitali!!

Flying in the face of conventional wisdom!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:45 am

Athletics is the worst......How many times does a Brit win and she's battered everybody....humiliated her rivals...

Then one comes 6th and is 100 metres behind... The same commentators...."what a great, brave run....." or "Her granny diied 6 years ago"

F**k off!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:46 am

Don't get me started on Bunce, who is a Grade A buffoon. Anyone who writes that Harrison-Haye would not only be competitive, but essentially a pick'em fight, immediately identifies himself as a wittering imbecile and permanently disqualifies himself from being taken seriously.

Go and become a promoter, Steve, there's a good chap.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:48 am

Haye-Chisora ...the fight of the century!! Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:54 am

Bunce is the most cringe-worthy boxing pundit I've ever seen. Awful voice, horrible accent, an insufferable brown nose, not far off being downright jingoistic, forever butting in, and on and on we go.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:56 am

Guess we are all agreed on him then... Hug

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:04 pm

Aye, Truss - until Azania tells us all that Bunce is, in fact, brilliant of course!

By the by, does anyone else remember that perma-tanned, bubble-permed clown that Primetime rolled out on the undercard for Bradley-Pacquiao? He looked like an extra out of a Wham! video or something. Come to think of it, Andrew Ridgeley may well have made a better boxing commentator.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:11 pm

Ha. Suffice to say that I indeed like Buncey for many reasons. One, he doesn't take himself too seriously and is open to being ribbed. He is amusing and enjoys a good banter.

But my main reason is that he ghost wrote Mike Watson's book and didn't take a penny from it.

Classy move. OK

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:17 pm

azania wrote:Ha. Suffice to say that I indeed like Buncey for many reasons. One, he doesn't take himself too seriously and is open to being ribbed. He is amusing and enjoys a good banter.

Classy move. OK

You've clearly never seen him embarrass himself on Twitter. Not having a dig, but you are not fully informed. Bunce takes himself very very seriously. The squeaky cockney who reminisce's with old Lillis about nights at the Troxy is just a front. He is an aggressive, and quite frankly, failry unkind man, at times

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:21 pm

I'm not a twit and have never used twitter. Don't see the point of finding what Lindsey Lohan had for breakfast etc.

Really couldn't care less. He helped out Watson in a big way and for me that is all that matters. Oh and Buncey didn't publicise that he didn't take a penny for ghost writing it either.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:23 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Aye, Truss - until Azania tells us all that Bunce is, in fact, brilliant of course!

By the by, does anyone else remember that perma-tanned, bubble-permed clown that Primetime rolled out on the undercard for Bradley-Pacquiao? He looked like an extra out of a Wham! video or something. Come to think of it, Andrew Ridgeley may well have made a better boxing commentator.

Colonel Bob Sheridan!!!! The most vile voice ever to commentate. I feel like stabbing myself in the ears when I hear him
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:24 pm

azania wrote:I'm not a twit and have never used twitter. Don't see the point of finding what Lindsey Lohan had for breakfast etc.

Really couldn't care less. He helped out Watson in a big way and for me that is all that matters. Oh and Buncey didn't publicise that he didn't take a penny for ghost writing it either.

That makes him a saint then. He helped out Watson. Nothing else matters. The Krays helped out a few kids in their day, charities and what not, they also banged a few. Guess they're ok tho, by your litmus test.

And I tweet for the forum in an effort ot get more followers. Not to find out about Lindsey Lohans breakfast.

What is it like, speaking from a place of complete ignorance? Is it as blissful as people say? boxing

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:27 pm

Well it certainly wasn't Sheridan who I was referring to there, Reborn! But you're right, all the same - Sheridan's pretty hopeless at times. That said, I have to admit that his commentary for the Douglas-Tyson knockout was far more fitting, given the magnitude of the event, than Lampley's dour droning. Bit of a guilty pleasure from Colonel Bob for me, that one.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:27 pm

Bunce is a first class clown, is a genuine pity because I have a couple of books he has ghosted and he is not without talent as a writer but he has clearly decided his self proclaimed status as “voice of boxing” and his perpetual and undying desire to find himself in front of the camera will always supersede any pretence at journalistic integrity, as others have alluded to anyone who can bill Chisora Haye as fight of the century or can bill Haye Harrison as a pick em is either sucking up to his paymasters or trying to generate cheap headlines for himself.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:29 pm

Lot's of people give to charity..lot's of people help old ladies across the road.....Murdoch, Maxwell even archer and Asil Nadir!!

Sure he felt honored to do the Watson foreword and he deserves a pat on the back for it...

but it doesn't forgive being crap at your job...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:31 pm

Bunce has BECOME a moron Az is what I think Sean is getting at.

He may have done some admirable things back in the day, but its what he has become now with his ego, arrogance ("Chio"), his bias to box nation is cringingly embarrasing.

But just because he did a favor for Watson doesn't make him a good guy.

Hell, even Hitler before he became leader of Germany used to go to children's hospitals to care and entertain sick children. Laugh does he get a pass too Az??
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:37 pm

Interestingly, I've just seen Bunce's latest offering on ESPN, and here is how it ends:

"Let's get one thing straight: a peak Calzaghe - the one that walked through Jeff Lacy and did jobs on Mikkel Kessler, Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr - would beat any version of Ward. It is not even up for dispute."

Well that's that sorted, then; can't imagine anyone wishing to argue after such a compelling ex cathedra pronouncement.....Ex catheter, more like. As I said, the man's a fool and he's becoming an arrogant one.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:38 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Bunce has BECOME a moron Az is what I think Sean is getting at.

He may have done some admirable things back in the day, but its what he has become now with his ego, arrogance ("Chio"), his bias to box nation is cringingly embarrasing.

Hell, even Hitler before he became leader of Germany used to go to children's hospitals to care and entertain sick children. Laugh does he get a pass too Az??

guinness clap

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:39 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Interestingly, I've just seen Bunce's latest offering on ESPN, and here is how it ends:

"Let's get one thing straight: a peak Calzaghe - the one that walked through Jeff Lacy and did jobs on Mikkel Kessler, Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr - would beat any version of Ward. It is not even up for dispute."

Well that's that sorted, then; can't imagine anyone wishing to argue after such a compelling ex cathedra pronouncement.....Ex catheter, more like. As I said, the man's a fool and he's becoming an arrogant one.

Since when was the Calzaghe that fought Jones Jr and Hopkins PEAK!!!! God he is an idiot sometimes

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:41 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
azania wrote:I'm not a twit and have never used twitter. Don't see the point of finding what Lindsey Lohan had for breakfast etc.

That makes him a saint then. He helped out Watson. Nothing else matters. The Krays helped out a few kids in their day, charities and what not, they also banged a few. Guess they're ok tho, by your litmus test.

And I tweet for the forum in an effort ot get more followers. Not to find out about Lindsey Lohans breakfast.

What is it like, speaking from a place of complete ignorance? Is it as blissful as people say? boxing

Incredible. Plain stupid comparison. I recall when I compared K2 to King. I was jumped on by the usual dead sheep on here with many saying King is a murderer. Those dead sheep are strangely silent on this comparison and they are posting on this thread.

I don't follow twitter, I don't know what he said there or says there. On TV he is very affable with an easy demeanour. Almost laddish like. He is very enthusiastic about the sport and on TV doesn't appear to take himself seriously. In fact he takes the mickey out of himself all the time.

And when he ghost wrote the book he promoted it and increased sales making more money for Watson.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:42 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Well it certainly wasn't Sheridan who I was referring to there, Reborn! But you're right, all the same - Sheridan's pretty hopeless at times. That said, I have to admit that his commentary for the Douglas-Tyson knockout was far more fitting, given the magnitude of the event, than Lampley's dour droning. Bit of a guilty pleasure from Colonel Bob for me, that one.

Sheridan has a blind spot for house fighters.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Lot's of people give to charity..lot's of people help old ladies across the road.....Murdoch, Maxwell even archer and Asil Nadir!!

Sure he felt honored to do the Watson foreword and he deserves a pat on the back for it...

but it doesn't forgive being crap at your job...

Its all a matter of opinion if he is crap at his job. He puts himself out there to get shot at. M16s are loaded and aimed at him.

He is like marmite. Some like him, many dont. I find him hilarious. He doesn't take himself or his views too seriously unlike many.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:46 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Bunce has BECOME a moron Az is what I think Sean is getting at.

I hardly ever use this but it is warranted.

picard

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm

azania wrote:

I hardly ever use this but it is warranted.

picard

Hug

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm

I don't much care if Bunce is a good or bad guy, like most people he will do some decent things in his life, most of us do, personally do not see it as particularly central to the debate. Whether he spends every waking hour feeding the homless or drowning puppies it is not going to change the fact he is a god awful pundit and presenter.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:54 pm

I have to say the double standards displayed by some is amusing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 13 Sep 2012, 12:55 pm

rowley wrote:I don't much care if Bunce is a good or bad guy, like most people he will do some decent things in his life, most of us do, personally do not see it as particularly central to the debate. Whether he spends every waking hour feeding the homless or drowning puppies it is not going to change the fact he is a god awful pundit and presenter.

Matter of opinion.

Yes he makes some wild calls. So what? Dont we all?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 13 Sep 2012, 1:00 pm

Of course, it's a matter of opinion. You're entitled to yours, which is shared by few others on this thread at the moment. Not that that should deter you. Personally, I don't make wild calls, only wrong ones. Bunce, on the other hand, displays an ingratiating manner to those whom he perceives to have a high status within the game, while being utterly dismissive of those whose status is not so exalted or useful to him.

Again, my opinion. But that should go without saying on a medium such as this. All too often, Bunce's opinions appear to be dictated by whoever his employer is at the time.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 13 Sep 2012, 1:00 pm

azania wrote:I have to say the double standards displayed by some is amusing.

Says the guy who went from sayin Khan would beat Garcia, to saying Khan should retire and is a b-level fighter to sayin he is going to RULE the light welter and welter divisions hahaha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 1:00 pm

He's a populist rather than an analyst though Az..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 13 Sep 2012, 1:01 pm

Az going against the grain... must say I am shocked.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 1:02 pm

Still must applaud the way he interviews himself everytime he has a big name in the studio!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 13 Sep 2012, 1:02 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He's a populist rather than an analyst though Az..

Probably the most accurate description about him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 13 Sep 2012, 1:03 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Az going against the grain... must say I am shocked.

If you have nothing interesting to say which contributes to the thread as opposed to a personal attack, I suggest you shut up. thumbsup

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 13 Sep 2012, 1:04 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
azania wrote:I have to say the double standards displayed by some is amusing.

Says the guy who went from sayin Khan would beat Garcia, to saying Khan should retire and is a b-level fighter to sayin he is going to RULE the light welter and welter divisions hahaha

Says the guy comparing a boxing pundit to one of the 20th century's biggest mass murderers.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 1:05 pm

Maybe we should look at Bunce's family tree..

Bet he doesn't have an Uncle Tom!! Is McGuigan a credible pundit? (did Steve Bunce burn ants as a child) 3845856932

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 13 Sep 2012, 1:05 pm

I actually find Bunce offensive, at times. He bigs up mismatches and mediocre bouts so much that it actually implies that we are not intelligent enough to see that he is talking tripe (Az excluded, we are). He treats us like armchair fans, when he should be treating those who subscribe to a BOXING channel as people who know better. it's insulting, except for Az, his Excecutive Producer

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 13 Sep 2012, 1:09 pm

But az, do you not think he would look like hitler if he lost 9 stone and grew a little moustache.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next