The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ghost

+14
azania
MrD
Imperial Ghosty
eddyfightfan
Lance
Fists of Fury
bellchees
BoxingFan88
88Chris05
Boxtthis
hampo17
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
OasisBFC
mobilemaster8
18 posters

Go down

The Ghost Empty The Ghost

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 1:03 pm

Just reading a quick article on Guerrero.

Many of us are currently thinking (along with a lot of fans) that Guerrero isnt good enough to lace Mayweathers boots, let alone be in the same ring as him.

But Robert isnt just a bum.

He isnt Victor Ortiz or Carlos Baldomir.

The guy is a 4 weight World Champion (6 times over).

Is this not enought to state his worth in fighting Mega Star Mayweather?

Or are world championships overlooked by us fans due to there current state of affairs?

I understand that Robert isnt a Pacquiao/Bradley/Marquez, but surely having racked up a brilliant winning streak and looking good in doing so, not to mention his world titles along the way, goes to show he does deserve his shot.

Saying that, how does he fair against Mayweather? Should we expect a close fight? A Brawl AKA Berto?

Thoughts??

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

The Ghost Empty Re: The Ghost

Post by OasisBFC Fri 22 Mar 2013, 1:35 pm

4 weight world champ? in what weights?
hasn't he just won featherweight and super feather?

That said, I have no issues with him facing mayweather.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 22 Mar 2013, 1:47 pm

Don't have any issues with him fighting mayweather, there's hardly alot of viable options around atm, but it's a simple case of mayweather being a better fighter

I think he is a 4 weight champ, feather, Superfeather, lightweight and welter but he has never really had a big fight to prove he's not just he champion but the #1 man at the weight

Marquez was considered the top fighter at LW I'm sure and I'm not sure he was ever the top guy at FW or SFW. Looming at his recor should of t help but feel that it's pretty weak, especially when you campar wit to other 4 weight world champs, and his reigns at FW and SFW didn't do a hell of a lot for him. Casamayor was his first biggish fight and then you have Katsidis, Berto, Aydin and the your scraping the barrel

He is a good fighter, but at welterweight he has looked alot less sharp and is very easy to hit, so stylistically Mayweather should have a field day

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 1:53 pm

I haven't seen anyone say he doesn't deserve this fight. Strange that you say he isn't a Pacquiao, Bradley or Marquez. Bradley just turned in probably one of the worst performances of his career and was out on his feet a fair few times.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri 22 Mar 2013, 1:58 pm

He's a very good fighter. And very mentally strong. He deserves the fight no doubt. Much better opponent than Ortiz.

He's just not as good as Floyd though.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 1:58 pm

I like Guerrero and admire his chirpy, let's 'ave it attitude he has to the sport (probably a product of the things he and his family have been through in the past few years). He's a really good all-rounder and I've been surprised at how rough 'n' tumble he's managed to be at Welter.

Problem is, that's the only way he can really be competitive at the higher weights and he's not got the huge punch to make it work against the best guys.

But something tells me that, while Floyd will win, he'll look some way off his best in doing so and Guerrero will have his moments, particularly in getting to Mayweather's body, similar to how Cotto did. I don't think Floyd is ready to be toppled just yet, but I think Guerrero will take some rounds off him and keep himself in line for some other big pay days at 147.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 2:08 pm

No issues with him fighting Mayweather, he earned his shot and I am really looking forward to it.

I don't give anyone much of a chance of beating Mayweather.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 22 Mar 2013, 2:30 pm

The more I think about this one the more I think the timing is right for Guerrero, stylistically I just think he is all wrong for Mayweather at the moment and he will make a real fight of it.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 22 Mar 2013, 2:45 pm

I fancy Guerrero to spring an upset. UD after causing Mayweather all kinds of problems with his rangy style.

Or is that just more out of hope that Floyd loses?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 22 Mar 2013, 2:52 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:I fancy Guerrero to spring an upset. UD after causing Mayweather all kinds of problems with his rangy style.

I do think that Guerrero will need to win convincingly to get the decision with Mayweathers new TV deal which is a problem he faces.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 22 Mar 2013, 3:09 pm

im not sure hes big enough, and he seems to have become more reckless.

i have enjoyed every mayweather performance of the last few years except the cotto one. he didnt impress me that night, not sure if it was an off night, he was trying too hard to make the fight exciting or if maybe his inactivity is catching up with him.

i think mayweather guerrero will be interesting. their personalitites will clash in the ring, and mayweather will want to do a number on him, so we will see how much he has left.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 22 Mar 2013, 4:38 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:I fancy Guerrero to spring an upset. UD after causing Mayweather all kinds of problems with his rangy style.

i actually was going to say that as well, if floyd engages with gurrero like he did with cotto i think he will edge it. ive definetly not seen any stamina issues from gurrero, and the long lay off, been incarcerated inbetween, might count against an older mayweather.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 22 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:

I think he is a 4 weight champ, feather, Superfeather, lightweight and welter but he has never really had a big fight to prove he's not just he champion but the #1 man at the weight

No Floyd is the WBC champ, he is interim WBC champ at welter. other than feather and super feather he has only held interim belts.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 22 Mar 2013, 6:00 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:

i actually was going to say that as well, if floyd engages with gurrero like he did with cotto i think he will edge it. ive definetly not seen any stamina issues from gurrero, and the long lay off, been incarcerated inbetween, might count against an older mayweather.

i thought he tired quite badly against berto, but was lucky that berto fades also

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 22 Mar 2013, 6:09 pm

Yea he was flagging alot in the Aydin fight too around the 7th and 8th if I remember correctly but got a second wind just like he did against Berto

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 6:54 pm

Guererro is a lot smaller than Floyd as well.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:00 pm

Wouldn't necessarily say so, floyd has had time to grow into the division but he is still a pretty small welterweight and despite being at lower weights for most if his career Guerrero was always huge at every weight he campaigned at and looked big against both Aydin and Berto who are both career welters

When they were head to head guerrero was about 2 inches taller but was looking alot softer and skinnier than floyd so we should expect him to cut the weight and beef up a bit by fight time

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:03 pm

I can't imagine he's that much than Floyd, he may have recently been fighting at lightweight but he was very big at the weight while Mayweather is a very small welterweight, he may even possibly weigh more on fight night.

Floyd- 5"8, 72" reach
Guerrero- 5"8, 70" reach

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:03 pm

guerrero did look a bit flabby and slower against berto though

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:07 pm

I think those are the boxrec stats but I go by looking, Guerrero stood a good but taller than floyd and looked taller (not bigger) than both Aydin and Berto who probably stand at the 5"8 mark too

He does look alot slower, well at least sharper, and its probably because of the jump up in weight that he took, he didn't effectively gain muscle. He obviously has built some muscle up but in trying to add too much weight in a short space of time it has made him look softer around the middle

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:13 pm

Yeah his body isn't as big, height and reach aren't really anything to go by, Bradley Skeete is 6ft 1 but he isn't going to be giving Carl Froch any problems is he...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:15 pm

Lance wrote:guerrero did look a bit flabby and slower against berto though

Spot on its all about how you carry the weight as well, whether the way your body is can actually bulk up and be effective at the higher weight, I think the natural size at the weight is going to be a very big problem for Guerrero.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:35 pm

Aydin and Berto were both big Welterweights who like to use their size, so if he wasn't bothered by either of them I can't foresee the weight suddenly becoming a problem against Mayweather.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:38 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Aydin and Berto were both big Welterweights who like to use their size, so if he wasn't bothered by either of them I can't foresee the weight suddenly becoming a problem against Mayweather.

Agree, although the same goes for Floyd not having a problem against Guerrero's strength even if he does outweigh him as floyd can neutralise any weight advantage like he did Cotto, Ortiz, Mosley, Corrales, Gatti etc

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:44 pm

He was bothered by their size though, Guererro took a beating against Berto and he couldn't really move Aydin at all.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:49 pm

Flood isn't as big as them or doesn't possess as much power

Guerrero took a lot but was never really shaken up in either fight despite taking the best they had

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Mar 2013, 8:42 pm

I think Floyd's size and strength is deceiving, he was comfortable with Mosley and Cotto hardly bullied him around the ring.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrD Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:08 pm

Evening one and all. First post so be gentle.

FMJ weighing in at 150 at light middle tends to tell me his walk around weight isn't much above that and his ring weight not much above that either. Guerrero, albeit the same size, is going to be behind on skill, speed, ability and you know what? I fancy him to hussle FMJ to losing but by a SD sort of margin after he dominates the first few rounds.

MrD

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:38 pm

MrD wrote:Evening one and all. First post so be gentle.

FMJ weighing in at 150 at light middle tends to tell me his walk around weight isn't much above that and his ring weight not much above that either. Guerrero, albeit the same size, is going to be behind on skill, speed, ability and you know what? I fancy him to hussle FMJ to losing but by a SD sort of margin after he dominates the first few rounds.

Welcome aboard.

WUM

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:40 pm

Think people are perhaps underestimating floyd's inside skills

Cotto pushed him hard but even when toe to toe Floyd was landing the cleaner shots and matching Cotto's workrate. He has also worked well in the pocket against Ortiz and Mosley despite both being bigger

Berto's inside game is non existent as Ortiz and Zaveck have shown so if he does get floyd in a scrappy fight it will be so much harder to land the types f punches he landed on Berto

Back to top Go down

Post by MrD Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:49 pm

azania wrote:

Welcome aboard.

WUM

His work rate could cause Mayweather an issue and catch the judges eye possibly. If you gave me a free bet I, as would yourself, back Mayweather to win. Lets not forget he's 37 now, or something like that? When does someone catch up with him? Is The Ghost the right guy to do so? Probably not, a technician is all wrong for him and there's not many of those at 147.

MrD

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 10:44 pm

MrD wrote:
azania wrote:

Welcome aboard.

WUM

His work rate could cause Mayweather an issue and catch the judges eye possibly. If you gave me a free bet I, as would yourself, back Mayweather to win. Lets not forget he's 37 now, or something like that? When does someone catch up with him? Is The Ghost the right guy to do so? Probably not, a technician is all wrong for him and there's not many of those at 147.

Whilst he is throwing punches he is going to be open for counters, Mayweathers hand speed is unbelievably quick.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 23 Mar 2013, 9:39 am

Mayweather win. But I'm expecting him to show signs of aging. His feet feet are flat and no longer dependable for defense. His shoulder roll will as ever protect his head, I wouldn't be expecting anything clean to land there, but his body will get worked. He's still a sharpshooter though, so the ghosts head will get pinged.
Comfortable ud by normal standards, but because it's Floyd, cause for worry that the best performances are well and truely behind him.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 23 Mar 2013, 12:14 pm

Mayweather not in decline pitches a shut out. Mayweather in decline, who knows. This fight only tells us where floyd is, Guerrero has nothing to trouble a prime mayweather in my view. I have close to zero interest in this fight.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sat 23 Mar 2013, 2:36 pm

Mayweather fights so sparingly and selectively now that I get the feeling when he does select an opponent its because he thinks he matches up well with them or he has spotted weaknesses in them he thinks he can exploit.

I think a combination of age and inactivity has led to a natural decline in Mayweather. He doesnt seem to have the same kind of legs or movement now. So while for a few years it seemed that there was a massive gap between himself and Pacquaio and the rest of the pack I think its been clawed back somewhat.

I think Mayweather will be confident he can make Guerrero fight the fight he wants. Make Guerreo try to bully him and outmuscle him and then exploit the fact Guerrero is easy to hit on the way in, counter him and tie him up if neccessary. Id like to see Guerrero fight a bit tricker and measured and try to exploit Mayweathers legs a bit more but I think while Guerrero might have his moments, Mayweather will make him fight one dimensional and then beat him using superior accuracy and defence, countering off the ropes and being too competent on the inside. I would also agree with those who say Guerrero will have to win rounds very convincingly if hes to get a decision. Any close rounds will go to Mayweather.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 23 Mar 2013, 2:48 pm

Floyd's legs are going, that was evident in the cotto fight, but his hands are still very quick as are his reflexes and still uses the shoulder roll brilliantly, alot better than Berto who looked like a fool while trying it against Robert

If he gets into a Cotto-esque tear up where he wins well but takes more punches than usual for his efforts than I doubt that we will see him in with anyone decent come September if not we see him again all year and not carry out his six fight deal

Back to top Go down

Post by mark_england Sat 23 Mar 2013, 5:49 pm

He's saying what everyone does when they fight Mayweather.

The whole, 'I'm different from the others', 'he's never fought anyone like me', as I say, everyone says the same thing when they fight Mayweather, they get in the ring and they realise the guy is just unbelievable. Guerrero will test Floyd, but as with all the others, Floyd will still win the fight. UD for Floyd.

How good does May look for boxing though. Mayweather fighting, May 18th has Khan fighting, Brook's first big test in USA, and Peterson v Matthyse. Then Froch v Kessler II on May 25th. Looking forward to all these.

mark_england

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down