The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer to return to Rotterdam in 2012

3 posters

Go down

Federer to return to Rotterdam in 2012 Empty Federer to return to Rotterdam in 2012

Post by Wooffie Tue 03 May 2011, 1:21 pm

Tournament director - Richard Krajicek - has announced that the Rotterdam ATP tournament in 2012 will see Roger Federer back in the draw for the first time since 2005.

Federer usually spends his time training in Dubai after the Australian Open, and the Rotterdam tournament usually suffers from its bigger names withdrawing or not participating as it comes so soon after the AO exertions. Personally, I fail to see its worth for the big guns as an indoor tournament prepares them for nothing in the Spring season and it doesn't give the players the necessary rest after the first Major is played in January and on the other side of the World.

So what could be Federer's motivator for participating in this 500 series tournament? Points? Krajicek's powers of persuasion? I just feel it an odd decision after a 7 year hiatus ... what are your thoughts??
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Federer to return to Rotterdam in 2012 Empty Re: Federer to return to Rotterdam in 2012

Post by denzilsmom Tue 03 May 2011, 7:31 pm

Desperation Erm

Seriously.....I suppose it's possible that as he feels he isn't the player he once was, and the fact that most of the top players seem to withdraw after the AO, he feels it's a chance to notch up another tourny win. I really cannot see why he's bothering otherwise.

denzilsmom

Back to top Go down

Federer to return to Rotterdam in 2012 Empty Re: Federer to return to Rotterdam in 2012

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Tue 03 May 2011, 8:41 pm

It's a week later next year, so he's filling what would otherwise be a 7 week gap with Rotterdam. Seems sensible to me.

He plays Rotterdam, moves on in a fortnight to Dubai, providing decent preparation for Miami and Indian Wells, earns a shedload of cash and potentially 1000 points, gets two ATP500's out of the way during a quiet period and therefore can just take it easy over the troublesome, tiresome Asian swing.

He's a clever sausage, that Roger. Very Happy

Stealth Maestro Agro Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Wed 04 May 2011, 12:20 pm

Well ... I'm still not convinced, Stealth. So Rotterdam is one week later than usual? OK. But Dubai is a half-way spot when travelling to Europe from Australia, and when you live there, you think you'd stay there ... instead of making that 7 hour + (or whatever) flight to Europe, then have to travel back to Dubai cos he always plays it. And as for Asia, he only seems to ever play 2 tournies there anyway. I still find it an odd choice.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 04 May 2011, 7:10 pm

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:It's a week later next year, so he's filling what would otherwise be a 7 week gap with Rotterdam. Seems sensible to me.

He plays Rotterdam, moves on in a fortnight to Dubai, providing decent preparation for Miami and Indian Wells, earns a shedload of cash and potentially 1000 points, gets two ATP500's out of the way during a quiet period and therefore can just take it easy over the troublesome, tiresome Asian swing.

He's a clever sausage, that Roger. Very Happy
Erm, wait. 7 weeks?! Not quite. 4 weeks is more precise. Very Happy

Just to clarify, he's basically playing:

Aussie Open
2 week gap
Rotterdam
2 week gap
Dubai

As opposed to this years 3 week gap untill Dubai. With Rotterdam and Dubai no longer a week apart, and each tournament being a week later (another oversight from me!), it's now made Rotterdam much more accessible.

With regards to flights, it's no biggie, is it? If Roger Federer, athlete supreme, can't recover from a 7 hour or so flight within a fortnight we're all doomed.

Stealth Maestro Agro Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down