The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An experiment in what people actually read

+4
majesticimperialman
t1000advancedprototype
mikey_philVIII
LondonTiger
8 posters

Go down

An experiment in what people actually read Empty An experiment in what people actually read

Post by LondonTiger Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:41 pm

This originally had the title "Adam Jones Accuses Scots of being Cheaters"

We have had a glut of articles with people deliberately putting antagonistic, headlines with only a passing relevance to the actual facts. I was interested to see if people actually read a post or react to the headline. I got my answer, sorry for anyone I upset.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/lions-tour-pack-mentality-shows-scrum-still-has-big-role-8547195.html

Ok, you have probably been grabbed by the headline, which is actually an inaccurate but not completely untrue description of what the hirsute prop said. This post is an attempt to show just how bad all of us are at reading what we want to in any article, report etc. It is this trait that allows the WUMs to create an atmosphere where instead of directing mild banter we have down-right antagonism. Where usually placid and lucid posters start lose their temper and in the end where we get the sort of flame-fest that causes near meltdown.

The above article has been used elsewhere and adopted by some to create further allegations and animosity. Parts of sentences have been taken out of context to to support deep held prejudices.

Jones actually says :

Jones was even more unimpressed with Johnson, the interim Scotland coach. "He said we were cheating in the scrum at Murrayfield. But there's three calls – crouch, touch, set – and if you go before 'set' you're cheating the engagement and it was blatantly obvious that's what Scotland were doing."

So as you see, while not calling Scotland cheaters - he does imply they were cheating - mainly in response to comments from Scot Johnson. We have seen endless times how these boards blow things like this out of all proportion. If these comments had come from an opposition player against your own team would you be one of those jumping on their high horse and denouncing Jones?

How about we set aside petty rivalries and infantile point scoring (yes I am guilty as charged) and concentrate on the important objective.

Stuffing those overblown, convicts in green and gold Very Happy

Last edited by LondonTiger on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Ending the experiment and amending the title)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

An experiment in what people actually read Empty Re: An experiment in what people actually read

Post by mikey_philVIII Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:56 pm

What Adam Jones says in that quote is exactly what happened. I don't understand the complaints from Johnson and some Scottish posters.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

An experiment in what people actually read Empty Re: An experiment in what people actually read

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:17 pm

LondonTiger wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/lions-tour-pack-mentality-shows-scrum-still-has-big-role-8547195.html

Ok, you have probably been grabbed by the headline, which is actually an inaccurate but not completely untrue description of what the hirsute prop said. This post is an attempt to show just how bad all of us are at reading what we want to in any article, report etc. It is this trait that allows the WUMs to create an atmosphere where instead of directing mild banter we have down-right antagonism. Where usually placid and lucid posters start lose their temper and in the end where we get the sort of flame-fest that causes near meltdown.

The above article has been used elsewhere and adopted by some to create further allegations and animosity. Parts of sentences have been taken out of context to to support deep held prejudices.

Jones actually says :

Jones was even more unimpressed with Johnson, the interim Scotland coach. "He said we were cheating in the scrum at Murrayfield. But there's three calls – crouch, touch, set – and if you go before 'set' you're cheating the engagement and it was blatantly obvious that's what Scotland were doing."

So as you see, while not calling Scotland cheaters - he does imply they were cheating - mainly in response to comments from Scot Johnson. We have seen endless times how these boards blow things like this out of all proportion. If these comments had come from an opposition player against your own team would you be one of those jumping on their high horse and denouncing Jones?

How about we set aside petty rivalries and infantile point scoring (yes I am guilty as charged) and concentrate on the important objective.

Stuffing those overblown, convicts in green and gold Very Happy

Let's talk about Wales battering their "big brother" 30-3 instead of headlines of articles that are completely fabricated.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:22 pm

With all this cheating that is being branded about...Why dont we cancel next years 6ns? And leave it untill 2015 6ns. give all the players a long rest.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:29 pm

What is the point of this thread?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:44 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:With all this cheating that is being branded about...Why dont we cancel next years 6ns? And leave it untill 2015 6ns. give all the players a long rest.

Wales are getting bored of winning tournaments. Agree a rest is needed.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:49 pm

I am probably getting grumpy in my old age but I am getting tired of threads with stupid/false/misleading titles.
Please can we just try and be sensible.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:49 pm

George Carlin wrote:What is the point of this thread?

To show up the media.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:59 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:I am probably getting grumpy in my old age but I am getting tired of threads with stupid/false/misleading titles.
Please can we just try and be sensible.

So am I, that was the whole point of the thread and anyone who reads the actual post will realise that. After all the very first line says the headline is untrue - but people only see what they want to and never read a post before they comment. This has been ably demonstrated by several already.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:28 pm

You are simply compounding the problem.Think about it.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:You are simply compounding the problem.Think about it.

Perhaps - but it demostrated that people who deliberately put a controversial headline should then not hide behind the excuse that the real article says something different.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:35 pm

mikey_philVIII wrote:What Adam Jones says in that quote is exactly what happened. I don't understand the complaints from Johnson and some Scottish posters.

Utter and total rubbish. if you were there in the crowd you would have noticed us querying the ref interpretation from the first scrum (which was the exact opposite he emphasised before in the Scottish dressing room) and stating that it was a delayed and passive it from Wales.

Adam Jones knows exactly what the Welsh front row did against us, but even more galling and inconsistent was the next match against England they reversed the strategy and went "early" which was exactly what Scotland got penalised for and Wales didnt

We just want a level playing field with the refs interpretation of the scrum rules

Unfortunately the only way to stop this is to have passive scrum, which will take a bit of excitement of the matches
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:47 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
mikey_philVIII wrote:What Adam Jones says in that quote is exactly what happened. I don't understand the complaints from Johnson and some Scottish posters.

Utter and total rubbish. if you were there in the crowd you would have noticed us querying the ref interpretation from the first scrum (which was the exact opposite he emphasised before in the Scottish dressing room) and stating that it was a delayed and passive it from Wales.

Adam Jones knows exactly what the Welsh front row did against us, but even more galling and inconsistent was the next match against England they reversed the strategy and went "early" which was exactly what Scotland got penalised for and Wales didnt

We just want a level playing field with the refs interpretation of the scrum rules

Unfortunately the only way to stop this is to have passive scrum, which will take a bit of excitement of the matches

I wish one of the assistants would have told Walsh that!

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down