The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer's new racquet experiment!

+24
Chazfazzer
mthierry
Jahu
ryan86
JubbaIsle
Born Slippy
CaledonianCraig
spdocoffee
JuliusHMarx
lags72
_homogenised_
invisiblecoolers
kingraf
The Special Juan
dummy_half
time please
summerblues
Silver
banbrotam
lydian
TRuffin
bogbrush
HM Murdock
laverfan
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is Federer's new racquet the right direction for him?

Federer's new racquet experiment! Vote_lcap86%Federer's new racquet experiment! Vote_rcap 86% 
[ 12 ]
Federer's new racquet experiment! Vote_lcap14%Federer's new racquet experiment! Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 14

Poll closed

Federer's new racquet experiment! Empty Federer's new racquet experiment!

Post by laverfan Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:58 pm

Rumours, just a new paint job, of fan talk? You decide.

http://www.rogerfedererfans.com/forum/topic/1511-pics-from-roger-federers-practise-sessions-and-press-conference-at-hamburg/

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Federer's new racquet experiment! Empty Re: Federer's new racquet experiment!

Post by HM Murdock Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:02 pm

Unless my eyes deceive me, I think they may be new socks too!

The hitting partner is an older model though.Wink

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:08 pm

Stand by for a gigantic "told him this3 years ago" from Lydian, if this is true,

I'd be delighted if so. He's been playing with a handicap for too long now,just stubborn.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:10 pm

It looks like the blade 93 to me... some one his website are saying blade 98- but that would be a drastic change with such a short turnaround time.

No way it's a paintjob-- Wilson pays him a ton of money to play with the PRoStaff in the same colors they sell to the public, so why paint that to look like a Blade....    and if it's a blade, then Wilson will keep that looking the same so they can then promote the Blade. The frame on the Blade is slightly different than the ProStaff and you can see it in the picture as well.

He's going to get a bit more pop with the 93, and a bit more forgiveness if he misses the sweetspot..   I just wonder how it holds up under extreme pressure though--  Like a Golfer, these guys at the top can play with any equipment but are also creatures of habit--  it shows up under pressure.. any little "wonder" in their head can cause a mishit...  IF Fed is serving in a crunch moment or facing a break point- will his mind wander to the different in racquet feel? IF so, that's a problem.

We've seen guys like Djokovic struggle for months when truly changing racquets...  so there has to be  a transition.. I just hope Federer isn't damaging his US Open campaign by trying to cram a change in a relatively short time period.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:18 pm

He may have requested Gstaad and Hamburg so he can get some match time with the new toy.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:42 pm

About time! The loss to Stakhovsky told him to change...he also said "within 48 hrs of losing I had a clear plan of what to do...to go to Hamburg and Gstaad". This is because he knew he simply had to change racquets to compete with the other top 4-5 guys who all use 98-100inch racquets.

This is the REAL reason he entered 2 CLAY events post-Wimb...to groove a new larger head racquet through extended rallying.

Doubt it's the actual Blade family, much too stiff and lacking feel for Fed. Suspect it's a custom racquet by Wilson for Federer personally and they'll have been working on it for a few months too. Looks like a relatively dense string pattern (19x16) so onus on control than spin...that will come more from the reduced weight anyway. It may be somewhere between a PS and Blade, but nearer the Blade, and between 95-98 inches and 20-30 grams lighter. The much bigger sweetspot should reduce the shanks and give his shots more margin. It will ease the strain on his back on serve too. String choice will be key too...he may go looser for added power and spin than his current spec.

Once he likes the racquet Wilson will spray it up and a new model will be born for the masses. Smart move for Federer and Wilson. It'll take Fed a long time to adjust though after all these years on a 90PS...maybe 2 tournaments Wink
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:49 pm

What, just in time for a glorious comeback at the US Open? Wink 

Incidentally, I'm not ruling it out

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Indeed...The Inglorious Bastad, er, Gstaad!

BTW, he looks leaner/fitter to me too...this guy still means business folks, he's not planning on retirement any time soon from these changes!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Good. I've no issue with Roger winning a Slam - now Andy's got a couple!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:15 pm

lydian wrote:Indeed...The Inglorious Bastad, er, Gstaad!

BTW, he looks leaner/fitter to me too...this guy still means business folks, he's not planning on retirement any time soon from these changes!

Have you been keeping an eye on him recently, lydian? Credit to you - as BB says, you've been mentioning this necessity for many years, and a few of us (LK, BB, us and others) have discussed it on the forum before. Will be very very interesting to see what happens from here. I'm pretty excited if what you're saying about his fitness is true.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:29 pm

I can't help but get excited at the thought of another Indian Summer. I guess we've just got to be patient and accept there might be a few nasty results early on though.

It's a great thought if he really could come back. The brilliant thing about the ranking system is that you're only 12 months from any ranking your next 12 months earns. What's gone before today will truly be gone by then.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:29 pm

Cheers silver. It's hard to be categorical but these 2 pics for me show him leaner and somehow fitter looking...what do you think? PS, the 2nd pic gives better look at new racquet...

Federer's new racquet experiment! 972043_569449479768067_421656957_n

Federer's new racquet experiment! 1010828_10201773539085733_1282927464_n
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:31 pm

I think you might right. Can't quite see how you get into such shape in just a few weeks, but there's no denying he looks very lean in both.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:47 pm

He might have got Paganini on track again for those gruelling workouts...it's nearly 3 weeks since he was knocked out of Wimb, you can lose a few lbs in that time if you really put your mind to it...and the racquet change definitely tells us his mind has been put to task!

I can see why people say Blade 98, the racquet pic above shows no PWS system (bulge) on the inside of the frame at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. Milos Raonic and Laura Robson use the Blade 98 but the 18x20 version, the above looks like 16x19 so more spin/control. He'll have probably added lead too for more power. Interesting times ahead but it's clear Fed means business and is now prepared to change a few things...wonder if he'll even change coach down the line!! Probably not.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:49 pm

Agreed, tough to say for sure but he's looking good there. Thanks lydian. I'm going to take a look at the specs and see if I can't find something similar locally, have a few swings to see how it compares. Might have to get lucky though!

Very interesting, and as BB says, it's hard not to get excited if this is what's occurring.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:24 am

I hope this is true.  It would be good in so many respects.  Perhaps most importantly in terms of what it would be saying about his mindset.

The choice to play two tournaments on clay looked a bit odd - perhaps even a pre-retirement good-bye tour, or a bit of panic in his scheduling.  However, if it is indeed coupled with a new racquet, then it all looks dramatically different.

Mostly, it shows he is not planning to go anywhere anytime soon.  Also, the fact that tournaments are on clay is irrelevant - if this is mostly about getting used to a new racquet, it matters not if he plays HC or clay.  It also makes sense to pick lower profile tournaments.

He may well have been planning on the switch later in the year - perhaps in the off-season, and may have just decided to use his early W loss as an opportunity to switch sooner.

Anyway, quite excited about this (hopefully it is indeed true) and, quite frankly, almost irrespective of whether or not it helps his game.  I mostly want him to stick around as long as possible and the racquet change would suggest he would be around for a bit.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:46 am

Lydian - Fed could have saved a lot of time, and possibly matches, had he hired you a year or so ago Wink 

Agree with all that it is exciting news because it shows that he still has all the desire - whether that will translate into one more big win for him remains to be seen, but it should keep him very competitive.

I would think he is quite pragmatic about maybe not having everything perfectly fine tuned for the USO; as ever, he seems to be looking at the next couple of years in his career.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:49 am

If this really does represent another big push from Federer, then that's great news. I'm genuinely excited about it.

Even if it doesn't work out, there won't be the lingering "what if"s remaining about his training regime and focus etc.

If he give it everything but still comes up short, nobody will have any regrets.

But when somebody of his ability gives it everything, it's tough to imagine that there won't be any significant titles along the way.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:42 am

I heard McEnroe suggest Roger should change raquets after the French Open, as he simply wasn't able to generate the easy power that his biggest opponents were getting. Looks like (for once?) Roger actually was paying attention, as this must have been in development for a little while.

The timing is obviously a little odd, as you would have expected the change to occur out of season, but with Roger's early loss at Wimbledon giving him an extra week and the relatively long gap the the next big tournament (Rogers Cup still 3 weeks away), this is probably the best point within the season to try something like this. Some practice time then a couple of minor tournaments to get into the groove before there are any big points and big opponents.

Add to that of course that Federer is so naturally talented that he should be able to adjust to a change of equipment quickly and perhaps this is his best hope of challenging for the USO and late season tournaments. It does, as others have pointed out, suggest that Roger is looking at ways of staying near the top of the game for a substantial period, not just fading away over the remainder of this year.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:35 am

Lydian wrote:Interesting times ahead but it's clear Fed means business and is now prepared to change a few things...wonder if he'll even change coach down the line!! Probably not.

Annacone would have been instrumental in convincing Federer (along with Luthi) on such a change, so highly unlikely that he will change coaches.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:23 pm

This is good to see from the viewers point of view but I'm not sure Murray, Djokovic and Nadal are too delighted Wink He might be going for the swansong, perhaps 1 more major title and he'd dearly love it to be Wimbledon I imagine. I believe he's already had his swansong but if he believed that then there's no point in carrying on playing. At least he's putting everything he's got, or so we hope, into getting to as good as he can possibly be.

"Federer confirms: He'll play with a 98 inch racquet head. An increase of 8 square inches!"
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:23 pm

Is this guy lydian?

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/roger-federer-shows-his-age-stubbornness-to-use-modern-racket-in-stunning-loss-at-wimbledon-sergiy-stakhovsky-062613

Especially interested in this

When Pete Sampras left, he said he wished he would have switched to a bigger, more modern racket. He had stubbornly held on to his past. Here’s something else that’s true: Federer is using almost the exact same racket Sampras thought was outdated in 2002. Jim Courier used the same racket, too.

It’s all touch, no power. When Bjorn Borg came back years after retiring, he tried to trot out his old wood racket to get the same old feel, too. It became a joke.
I didn't realise Federer was playing with such outdated equipment!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:07 pm

laverfan wrote:
Lydian wrote:Interesting times ahead but it's clear Fed means business and is now prepared to change a few things...wonder if he'll even change coach down the line!! Probably not.

Annacone would have been instrumental in convincing Federer (along with Luthi) on such a change, so highly unlikely that he will change coaches.

Actually- there was an interview earlier in the year (sorry don't have it now but remember it well) where Annacone said Federer didn't need to change racquets because he had immense head speed and generated more than enough power... and the little gain in power wouldn't outweigh what he would lose in touch,feel,control if he changed...........

Now surely Annacone could have changed his mind after the results just like Fed... but it didn't seem like Annacone thought it was needed.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:29 pm

Roger does have some racket head speed though... Im in the "wait and see" Camp on this one.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:36 pm

banbrotam wrote:What, just in time for a glorious comeback at the US Open? Wink 

Incidentally, I'm not ruling it out

You are seeing too much ahead Very Happy 

Like Lyd pointed out the change is well needed one and a well thought one, its gonna take some time to adapt to the new racquet so may be 2014 could be one last hurray for the TMF.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:23 pm

It'll be very interesting to see in a while whether Federer appears to have more easy power. If he does it might add 4% to his game; enough to keep him winning things or a while yet.

The fact he's a bit slower is being amplified by the vulnerability to power. The more he's making others move more, the less the impact on him.

Bottom line, if it works he could be back to the 2016 plan. Or maybe he never went off it.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by _homogenised_ Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:32 pm

bogbrush wrote:Is this guy lydian?

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/roger-federer-shows-his-age-stubbornness-to-use-modern-racket-in-stunning-loss-at-wimbledon-sergiy-stakhovsky-062613

When Pete Sampras left, he said he wished he would have switched to a bigger, more modern racket. He had stubbornly held on to his past. Here’s something else that’s true: Federer is using almost the exact same racket Sampras thought was outdated in 2002. Jim Courier used the same racket, too.

It’s all touch, no power. When Bjorn Borg came back years after retiring, he tried to trot out his old wood racket to get the same old feel, too. It became a joke.

I think it's sad that the sport has been reduced to this. The equipment needs standardising. Why should it be so important? The modern day racquets have dumbed this sport down.

_homogenised_

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:59 am

I hope Federer moves over to Yonnex and use their 98in racquet. You need to look at the pop Wawrinka has been getting off it. It would be dynamite!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:40 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:I hope Federer moves over to Yonnex and use their 98in racquet. You need to look at the pop Wawrinka has been getting off it. It would be dynamite!

Look at what Hewitt just did at Newport.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:44 pm

_homogenised_ wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Is this guy lydian?

I think it's sad that the sport has been reduced to this.  The equipment needs standardising.  Why should it be so important?  The modern day racquets have dumbed this sport down.

It is difficult to standardize an individual sport like Tennis. The choice of a racquet is part of individuality. Imagine Borg without a Donnay or McEnroe without his Dunlop or Sampras without his St. Vincent Wilson.

If you ask for standardization, what do you think of standardizing the surface, to perhaps, say, Clay? Wink chin

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:30 pm

BTW, Fed vs Brands about to start in Hamburg...I don't have TV pics but it will be good to see the new flashing blade in action.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:32 pm

lydian wrote:BTW, Fed vs Brands about to start in Hamburg...I don't have TV pics but it will be good to see the new flashing blade in action.

Brands playing well, and Federer looked uncomfortable from backhand side in 1st set... still some shanks... though there were def a couple of shots that Fed hit in that would have been shanks with the smaller racquet... Power looked good, serve looked good but low 1st serve %

2nd set- Federer played beautiful... in all areas....

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:58 pm

Fantastic last two sets by Fed.... he was all over the place and playing his full variety.. Hard to give full credit to the racquet though as he's had plenty of great tennis with the old one :-), but once he got comfortable- he was lights out.

Everyone is saying he's much thinner now and it's hard to tell from a livestream video- but he looked very muscular in the shoulders and thick up top... he's def been working hard.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:02 pm

The BH needs some work from a timing perspective. The FH looks good, and the timing was all right without being outstanding. Footwork was OK on clay. Hajek beat Gulbis, so Federer v Hajek. Let us see if he improves. The missed BPs in the first set were meh.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:55 pm

TRuffin's glowing assessment of the Federer 2nd set performance is certainly borne out by match stats :100% of points won when the 1st serve hit the spot and just two points dropped on second serve (ie in 2nd set)

As has so often been said, when the first serve is firing the rest of his game usually falls into place .....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Ok, I'm upgrading to level 4. Win the event and we might see a 5.

This is on the bogbrush grade of interest & belief. It's a scale from 0 - 10;

0 - give up, absolutely no motivation to pay attention (never reached for TMF).
1 - not much better
2 - despair, why do this? (The lowest point yet reached)
3 - loyalty to a hope, but no confidence
4 - reasons to be cheerful, keep watching
5 - it could happen, it's just unlikely
6 - guarded optimism
7 - playing it down, but hopeful
8 - quite confident, TMF has been repeatedly sighted doing his thing
9 - this is like the old days, he's strutting
10 - this is 2005/6/7.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 pm

11 - This is 2004/5 Wink 

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:18 pm

2005 would be awesome, BanBro.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Nice assessment TRuffin, yep he looks more chunky up top from my perspective also, he's definitely got the bit between hs teeth. BB...reasons to be cheerful!

When you say "5- it could happen"...what could? A slam win?
Ok, 2005-7 is never going to happen again...but surely a slam win is still a hopeful possibility with his renewed vigour and racquet. If he wins Hamburg I'd say 5 is a tad pessimistic! I'd move him to a 7 given where he's come from in 2013!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:13 pm

5 "it" might happen, which is he might play at the top level again, give these top boys a real fight. A Slam has to then be in play.

But a 5 still says that it's unlikely "it" will happen.

I need a mark which says "trying hard not to be optimistic, I can handle the despair, it's the hope that I can't take".
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:28 pm

bogbrush wrote:5 "it" might happen, which is he might play at the top level again, give these top boys a real fight. A Slam has to then be in play.

But a 5 still says that it's unlikely "it" will happen.

I need a mark which says "trying hard not to be optimistic, I can handle the despair, it's the hope that I can't take".

That lies in between 5 and 6 -- it's called The Henman Mark.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 pm

As long as he plays sublimely at times then I'm going to try very hard just to enjoy the privilege of seeing him play......and not to hope for too much - I'm absolutely with you there BB!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:04 am

I wonder if Federer will get a chance to play his next match at all?

Federer's new racquet experiment! YfUA7gP

From the Bet-At-Home site.

The ATP site is behind by a day. Sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:13 am

laverfan wrote:The ATP site is behind by a day. Sad
Cool, thanks, I was wondering where the schedule for tomorrow was.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:19 am

summerblues wrote:
laverfan wrote:The ATP site is behind by a day. Sad
Cool, thanks, I was wondering where the schedule for tomorrow was.

I have already complained, but most of the time it falls on deaf ears.

PS: The printed version on ATP is correct. http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/414/op.pdf

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:44 am

As an aside, can I ask how often a top player would actually take the opportunity to test out a raquet other than their normal one?

Clearly guys like Federer will have been getting offers from potential raquet sponsors on a pretty much weakly basis for the last decade, but how frequently would he have tried anything different from the Wilson ProStaff that has brought him so much success?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:28 am

dummy_half wrote:As an aside, can I ask how often a top player would actually take the opportunity to test out a raquet other than their normal one?

Clearly guys like Federer will have been getting offers from potential raquet sponsors on a pretty much weakly basis for the last decade, but how frequently would he have tried anything different from the Wilson ProStaff that has brought him so much success?

Rory McIlroy changed his clubs at the start of the year when he had a superb season the year before in winning a major and becoming world number 1. Now, he's playing woeful golf on an almost weekly basis. I'm not sure the physical difference in the clubs has caused his poor form but he might not be able to adjust mentally to the change. I imagine it's the same with any sport where the players use their own equipment - tennis or any racquet sport, golf, crcket bats etc. Sometimes the change can be good though but, in Federer's case, why fix what wasn't broken until the change was need?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:54 am

I think the difference will be in the respective players motives & experience.

Federer did this or clear professional reasons, is hugely experienced and the change happened no doubt after lengthy development.

McIlroy did it for money and is 24.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:02 am

TSJ / BB

Thanks, although neither quite answer the question I was asking. I'm somewhat aware of the issues that surround McIlroy's change of clubs (and ball) thanks to an enormous sponsorship deal from Nike, and the problems that Djokovic had adjusting to his change of racquet in 2010 (noting the assumption that this was a customised racquet very close to the specification of his previous one).

My question was more aimed at the point that Federer (for example) has used the same Wilson ProStaff racquet in competition for a decade or more, and presumably for 95% + of the time in pactice (Rafa and Andy being similarly loyal to their racquet sponsor and racquet model). How often during this decade will he have picked up a racquet other than his weapon of choice to evaluate whether there was any advantage in using something else?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:11 am

Who knows? I guess he may have given other things a swing now and then but there's always a big risk of pursuing such a route and when he was winning everything that wouldn't have been smart.

I doubt they routinely try new stuff, more likely a coach ay watch these things and suggest if they like something. In this case I think the racquet has followed Federer's conclusion that he's handicapped against the field by obsolete equipment.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next