The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George North - front page of Rugby Paper

+20
LordDowlais
Knackeredknees
Cari
red_stag
Looseheaded
GunsGerms
yappysnap
Sgt_Pooly
Scarpia
thebluesmancometh
ScarletSpiderman
mikey_philVIII
Cyril
Knowsit17
Taffineastbourne
RubyGuby
nathan
majesticimperialman
t1000advancedprototype
Ospreydragon
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

George North - front page of Rugby Paper Empty George North - front page of Rugby Paper

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:49 pm

I didn't buy it today, but glanced at the front page. Anyone see it? I may have misread but only glanced, but the reporter -- I think it was Peter Jackson -- was suggesting that the deal could be completed within 7 days. 250 K transfer fee, even though 300 K was apparently being asked for. This would be a big blow not just for the Scarlets but for Welsh rugby, if this turns out to be the case.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

George North - front page of Rugby Paper Empty Re: George North - front page of Rugby Paper

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:02 pm

He's worth every penny plus more.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

George North - front page of Rugby Paper Empty Re: George North - front page of Rugby Paper

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:11 pm

How can the Scarlets let him go if he's said he doesn't want to leave? If it's true that George eants to stay and he ends up leaving, that's doubly awful.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:20 pm

I guess if the Scarlets cannot afford to pay him the money he is asking for.
Then i guess he will go to the team that can afford to pay him.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:25 pm

I'm looking at the paper now, we must get a different version here as he's not on the front page.

Which club is he off too?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:35 pm

His agent is involved which always creates problems purely from a vested interest point of view - thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:07 pm

nathan wrote:I'm looking at the paper now, we must get a different version here as he's not on the front page.

They make regional versions (as in UK regions, not Welsh rugby regions. A Gwent version would be rubbish!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:47 pm

Griff wrote:
nathan wrote:I'm looking at the paper now, we must get a different version here as he's not on the front page.

They make regional versions (as in UK regions, not Welsh rugby regions. A Gwent version would be rubbish!).
Dunno.Eveyone likes the cartoons! Smile

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:48 pm

"I'm looking at the paper now" -- Nathan, there is a Welsh edition of The Rugby Paper. The story was on the front page:

http://www.magazine.co.uk/magazines/the-rugby-paper-the-welsh-regional-edition

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:13 pm

I'm hoping with increasing desperation that this is all speculation. If it does happen I'll be considering boycotting all Scarlets games until they actually bring in a management who aren't as quick to throwing in the towel when it comes to their own players.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:15 pm

North on the wing for Northampton Sad

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:35 pm

Good luck to him. Top level sport is a short enough career and he seems an ambitious lad.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:39 pm

I just can't see the other players living with him Cyril Yahoo thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:43 pm

I assume he'll have his own place and won't have to share, Ruby. This is a professional era now.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:44 pm

Fotuali'i and North. Freakish additions!

Would love to be a saints fan right now.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:47 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:I assume he'll have his own place and won't have to share, Ruby. This is a professional era now.

Yeah you're probably right there Cyril, maybe share a flat with Foden or something thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:49 pm

Was Ashton forced out of Northampton 'cos he was no Saint Run

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:52 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Was Ashton forced out of Northampton 'cos he was no Saint Run

Or maybe because he's rubbish?

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:57 pm

Dylan Hartley's no saint either, yet he's their skipper isn't he? Erm

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Sun 24 Mar 2013, 11:27 pm

t1000advancedprototype wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Was Ashton forced out of Northampton 'cos he was no Saint Run

Or maybe because he's rubbish?

Saint Rubbish they called him.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:04 am

majesticimperialman wrote:I guess if the Scarlets cannot afford to pay him the money he is asking for.

I don't think it is we can't afford to pay what he wants, I believe it is more that the board do not see it as value for money. I think the whole George is up for sale, was a failed gambit to force the WRUs hand to help fund the international players better. The regions need to be able to get value for money out of their players and having a player who is 60% as good as North, earning 60% of what North would, but being available for an extra 35% of the season is seen as a better option.

If something doesn't happen soon the regions may well be filled with welsh qualified filler, a few decent NWQs, and kids coming through, but no real stars, and all because the stars are too expensive for the amount of game time they give.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 25 Mar 2013, 12:54 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:I guess if the Scarlets cannot afford to pay him the money he is asking for.

I don't think it is we can't afford to pay what he wants, I believe it is more that the board do not see it as value for money. I think the whole George is up for sale, was a failed gambit to force the WRUs hand to help fund the international players better. The regions need to be able to get value for money out of their players and having a player who is 60% as good as North, earning 60% of what North would, but being available for an extra 35% of the season is seen as a better option.

If something doesn't happen soon the regions may well be filled with welsh qualified filler, a few decent NWQs, and kids coming through, but no real stars, and all because the stars are too expensive for the amount of game time they give.

That is almost exactly what it is, the Dragons are fully fillers and kids right now!!! And thats exactly what the WRU want, the prem as a warming station for the kids, the regions as the tester places for pro rugby then the cream shipped off to bigger and better to play competitive euro rugby, then being primed for team Wales!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Mon 25 Mar 2013, 1:09 pm

It's another step in the masterplan. Develop players. Ship them off to English and French clubs to stop player development there. Win 6 Nations regularly.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 25 Mar 2013, 1:17 pm

He'd be an amazing signing for the Saints and the AP.

The money being pumped in to the AP will allow for some big name players, it's an exciting time.

Tough on the Scarlets but the transfer fee and getting North off their books will allow them to get a couple of quality players in that may be available a hell of lot more than what North is currently.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 25 Mar 2013, 1:31 pm

Sgt Pooly - Easterby has said "We will be looking to recruit in certain areas and it makes life easier if you can recruit Welsh-qualified players. But we've still got a bit to go in understanding who we can and can't go after." So reading between the lines there, it looks like they are not too sure if they want to risk signing a player, like Delve, if there is a chance they may end up in the Team Wales line up.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Mar 2013, 1:45 pm

Rugby is bigger then one player. Losing North could mean you can afford a few quality players who can help across the squad. It's not like Scarlets will suddenly lack for back three options after this.

If Saints want to blow all their money on a winger while they're desperate for a new 10, props x2, no8 and midfield (12 AND 13) then I say let them!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 25 Mar 2013, 2:11 pm

yappysnap wrote:Rugby is bigger then one player. Losing North could mean you can afford a few quality players who can help across the squad. It's not like Scarlets will suddenly lack for back three options after this.
If Saints want to blow all their money on a winger while they're desperate for a new 10, props x2, no8 and midfield (12 AND 13) then I say let them!

Not far off it really. Going into the season our first choice backline would have been Stoddart, Fenby (or Liam Williams) and North. Stoddart has retired, Fenby has left to London Irish, and George is being pimped out by our board of directors. Unless we can find some cheap talent somewhere our first choice back three next season will be Gareth Owen (injury prone), Kris Phillips (injury prone, lacking physical atributes), Liam Williams.

Maybe Saints are considering using North in the midfeild? I believe he was playing at inside centre as a kid (well a younger kid), and Gats has meantioned the possibility of using him there when Wales have looked short on centre options. It could be a good decision if they do use him there, as it may impact his chances of getting into the welsh squad, which should increase his availability to them.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:53 pm

RubyGuby wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:I assume he'll have his own place and won't have to share, Ruby. This is a professional era now.

Yeah you're probably right there Cyril, maybe share a flat with Foden or something thumbsup

Eh Foden is married with a kid.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:08 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:

Eh Foden is married with a kid.

Brand new sitcom.

SATURDAY SCRUMMAGE

What happens when you mix two professional rugby players, a successful pop group member, and a baby?

Hilarity of course.

(brb pitching to BBC3)

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:15 pm

I see that Leinster are rumoured to bejoining the fray.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:18 pm

red_stag wrote:I see that Leinster are rumoured to bejoining the fray.

Eh that would be a nice signing though not sure it would be in the best interests of Irish rugby.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:25 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
red_stag wrote:I see that Leinster are rumoured to bejoining the fray.

Eh that would be a nice signing though not sure it would be in the best interests of Irish rugby.

Zebo, Earls, Bowe, Trimble, Gilroy

We don't need Leinster wingers thank you very much! Very Happy
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:35 pm

"set to sign"?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2298127/Waless-George-North-sign-Northampton.html

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:49 pm

They were on about this on Scrum V last night. Apparently George desperately wants to stay at the Scarlets. They also said the Saints operate under a salary cap too, but I'm not sure how much it is or if it's higher than that of the Scarlets. Anyway, up to last night there wasn't a done deal yet, it was still under negotiation.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:05 pm

I still don't understand why Saints want him, as mentioned they desperately need other positions reinforced.

Just seems like gluttony to me to go for North.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:09 pm

What strikes me as funny is that less that 4 weeks ago, the saints were complaining that their small squad is all they can afford as they were paying up to the cap. Now they have cash to throw around after 1 player?

Either they were talking Poopie about not affording any new players because of the cap?
Or was it just to divert attention from poor on field troubles at the time?

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:18 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Sgt Pooly - Easterby has said "We will be looking to recruit in certain areas and it makes life easier if you can recruit Welsh-qualified players. But we've still got a bit to go in understanding who we can and can't go after." So reading between the lines there, it looks like they are not too sure if they want to risk signing a player, like Delve, if there is a chance they may end up in the Team Wales line up.

Not only does this upset me utmostly, and I really mean that, it infuriates me, Welsh rugby should be for the Welsh people and Welsh players, no wonder the regions are struggling to pull in the crowds, all us Welsh public want to rock up to the stadiums and see our national heroes week in week out, I do not want to go down to the Arms park and watch somebody from a million miles away doing the same job a local lad can do, welsh rugby as a whole, the regions, the WRU should all be working together and fighting tooth and nail to keep our players here, this is starting to remind me of the dark days when league were sniffing around and taking all our good players, I bet if our players were changing codes everybody would be doing all they can to keep our best within the confines of the principality, this is not about taking sides, the WRU and the Regions seriously need to work together and sort this issue out, why should the regions feel obliged to not go for Welsh talent just in case they get into the Welsh squad steam This is backwards thinking, it's time to sort this mess out, the regions should be proud to have one of their own representing their country, and the WRU should acknowledge the fact that the regions are working hard to produce the players of the calibre to represent their country, spiting each other is only going to hold us back, FFS sort it out. furious

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:24 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Sgt Pooly - Easterby has said "We will be looking to recruit in certain areas and it makes life easier if you can recruit Welsh-qualified players. But we've still got a bit to go in understanding who we can and can't go after." So reading between the lines there, it looks like they are not too sure if they want to risk signing a player, like Delve, if there is a chance they may end up in the Team Wales line up.

Not only does this upset me utmostly, and I really mean that, it infuriates me, Welsh rugby should be for the Welsh people and Welsh players, no wonder the regions are struggling to pull in the crowds, all us Welsh public want to rock up to the stadiums and see our national heroes week in week out, I do not want to go down to the Arms park and watch somebody from a million miles away doing the same job a local lad can do, welsh rugby as a whole, the regions, the WRU should all be working together and fighting tooth and nail to keep our players here, this is starting to remind me of the dark days when league were sniffing around and taking all our good players, I bet if our players were changing codes everybody would be doing all they can to keep our best within the confines of the principality, this is not about taking sides, the WRU and the Regions seriously need to work together and sort this issue out, why should the regions feel obliged to not go for Welsh talent just in case they get into the Welsh squad steam This is backwards thinking, it's time to sort this mess out, the regions should be proud to have one of their own representing their country, and the WRU should acknowledge the fact that the regions are working hard to produce the players of the calibre to represent their country, spiting each other is only going to hold us back, FFS sort it out. furious

The WRU couldn't give a shoite about where the players go, as long as the academies produce potential, the prem keeps acting as a warming station, the regions introduce them into pro rugby and nurture them, they are free to go play as far from wales the better, as long as they are available for team wales for the big cash events!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:32 pm

Lord - the real sickener is that fans with a slant towards the regions and fans with a slant towards the union both agree that the WRU and RRW should be using the PRG to sort it out, so why can the bigwigs not see it themselves. Too many businessmen trying to play politics and make themselves names, and not enough who seem to genuinely care (at both the wru and regions)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:33 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

The WRU couldn't give a shoite about where the players go, as long as the academies produce potential, the prem keeps acting as a warming station, the regions introduce them into pro rugby and nurture them, they are free to go play as far from wales the better, as long as they are available for team wales for the big cash events!!!

Welsh rugby will implode with this attitude, both the regions and the WRU need to sort this out, I notice that we do not see as much Irish, Scottish or English star players leaving, o.k Scotland have lost a few, but why is it only the Welsh players are being targeted ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:34 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Lord - the real sickener is that fans with a slant towards the regions and fans with a slant towards the union both agree that the WRU and RRW should be using the PRG to sort it out, so why can the bigwigs not see it themselves. Too many businessmen trying to play politics and make themselves names, and not enough who seem to genuinely care (at both the wru and regions)

I have always said this, there are too many ego's in Welsh rugby, and that is within the regions and the WRU.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:35 pm

P.S congratulations on your "promotion". OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:37 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Welsh rugby will implode with this attitude, both the regions and the WRU need to sort this out, I notice that we do not see as much Irish, Scottish or English star players leaving, o.k Scotland have lost a few, but why is it only the Welsh players are being targeted ?

Because theyre easy tartgets, everyone knows that all you have to do is offer an average salary with the promise of decent euro rugby and an int clause and youve picked yourself up a good quality player

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:38 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Lord - the real sickener is that fans with a slant towards the regions and fans with a slant towards the union both agree that the WRU and RRW should be using the PRG to sort it out, so why can the bigwigs not see it themselves. Too many businessmen trying to play politics and make themselves names, and not enough who seem to genuinely care (at both the wru and regions)

I have always said this, there are too many ego's in Welsh rugby, and that is within the regions and the WRU.

Ah you mean the Holley effect?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:45 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

It was always the fashion in Wales though Bluesman, make a few quid, prance around your local village like a peacock, then when you have made it buy a rugby club, next thing you know they think they own the town, have you seen the film Twin Town ?, well Bill Cartright in that film is not make believe, there was one in every town in Wales at one point and they all owned the rugby clubs and drove around in top of the range cars and they all had their hangers on as well.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:46 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

It was always the fashion in Wales though Bluesman, make a few quid, prance around your local village like a peacock, then when you have made it buy a rugby club, next thing you know they think they own the town, have you seen the film Twin Town ?, well Bill Cartright in that film is not make believe, there was one in every town in Wales at one point and they all owned the rugby clubs and drove around in top of the range cars and they all had their hangers on as well.

What do you mean had?? Now it's just infiltrated the governing body too, have you ever met Lewis???

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:48 pm

You know what I am talking about then Bluesman ? Whistle

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:52 pm

So if Roger Lewis is Bryn Cartwright can I be one of the Lewis 'twins' please.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 7:03 pm

yappysnap wrote:If Saints want to blow all their money on a winger while they're desperate for a new 10, props x2, no8 and midfield (12 AND 13) then I say let them!
Bit harsh there yappy, desperate for a 10 & 12 agreed but think we have good enough strength in the other positions.

Being a Saints fan I would of course be happy to sign a superstar like North, although a top draw 10 would have been my first choice but there doesn't seem many around and even less of them available. In response to some people asking how they can afford both him and Fotuali'i then I guess it is because one of the signings can be classed as a marquee signature and so is exempt from the cap.

ps being a Saints fan I refuse to get my hopes up. This happened once before with a certain JD2 and he ended up staying with the Scarlets. I wonder if JD2's contract is a reason why they feel they won't be able to afford to keep North when his contract expires and why they are supposedly open to cashing in on him now (understandable in my opinion).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:01 pm

Sorry B, not trying to be harsh but just genuinely bemused as to why the management would want to spend 250k on a winger when you really do need some other positions sorted out first. Although I had forgotten about Fotu and he'll def help, can he play 10...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next