The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

September fights

+4
eddyfightfan
Imperial Ghosty
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Diamond in the rough
8 posters

Go down

September fights  Empty September fights

Post by Diamond in the rough Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:57 pm

September is looking set to be very competitive It appears we are going to have Bradley Marquez and pacquiao rios winners fighting each other!

Now as we know both alverez and mayweather are both fighting aswell and all are going for the same date

If the Bradley Marquez pacman rios is happening it would appear mayweather will have no choice but to fight alverez and also put on a strong undercard to compete for high ppv numbers

All very good for us the fans as both will have good undercards but one of the events is going to miss out massively who do you think will pull in the most numbers?

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

September fights  Empty Re: September fights

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Will be interesting, remember if one of those listed (Rios, Floyd and Canelo) than it'll look completely different

If everything goes to plan, you'd imagine that Canelo-Floyd would bring in the best numbers. There won't be Pac-JMM 4 in September, and I doubt Pac-Rios or JMM-Bradley would get close to the numbers Canelo-floyd will get

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:20 pm

You would imagine they would but with pacmans fans Marquez and rios all on one card it is a lot of loyal Fans, does alverez have more than Marquez? PAC and may are close to even aswell!

This whole hbo showtime split is going to get crazy will be A bigger version of what we have in darts!

I think with top rank there kind of screwed around LM WW LWW as they don't have a lot of fighters

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:27 pm

Alvarez and Floyd on one card would smash the numbers compared to a Marquez/Pacquiao fight.

Alvarez is the golden boy in the eyes of the mexicans where Marquez has never been overly popular while Mayweather has sealed supremacy over Pacquiao as far as american fanbase goes.

If either Pacquiao or Marquez loses then you can forget it because neither would settle for anything other than a headline slot.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:35 pm

i think it would be very very close to even if it were to be alvarez vs may and marquez vs pacman. probably come down to the undercard, but if the two losers were to fight on the undercard (ie bradley vs rios) then that would give the edge to hbo

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:46 pm

Floyd is the bigger draw than Pacquiao and Alvarez would probably be as popular as JMM come september. Add to the fact that Alvarez has a great chance of beating floyd (people will tune in just for that) then it'll do much bigger numbers

They may well have Rios-bradley on the undercard but likewise GB can put any of he lightwelterwight tourney (lucas, peterson, garcia and judah) on it or Broner-guerrero or trout or cotto so they will be able.to match the undercard

It will be interesting to see how many buys Floyd-Guerrero getd compared to his HBO buys. CBS promoting he fight should really get the ball rolling

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:29 pm

All that matters is that Mayweather beats Guerrero and whatever card he's on is going to do the bigger numbers it really is as simple as that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 pm

Floyds never fought at light middleweight proper (unless you class Cotto and ODH as LMW's?). There's no way he'll fight a young 22 year-old bull of a light-middleweight, is there?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 pm

If Alvarez beats Trout in good style then Id be skeptical of Mayweather risking him.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:37 pm

I would class De La Hoya as a very good 154lber, at his best better than Alvarez is but the version that Mayweather beat I would say was at a similar level to what Alvarez is right now.

De La Hoya holds wins over Campas, Mayorga, Vargas and Castillejo all big, strong, powerful guys at the weight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:37 pm

He's going to protect his zero at this stage. I don't blame him. He's deserves to bow out undefeated.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:43 pm

He was a poor 154lber when Foyd fought him. Floyds fought guys who grew into the weight.

Regardless of those wins, LMW is ODH's worst weight after middle. I'd consider him a big lightweight, but when assessing his career I'd rate him anywhere between lightweight and welter.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:46 pm

If not Canelo (or Trout if he wins as that makes sense although not quite the monry spinner) i think that Mayweather will struggle to find opponents to keep people interested

I personally dont think we'll see mayweather in with Canelo. He's just too dangerous for floyd and he'll go for softer opposition. Apart from Castillo, the hardest 2 fights he had where against DLH and Cotto which where both at 154. Neither of those are natural lightmiddles and while DLH is tall he isnt as strong as saul. If saul beats Trout he'd have the best win at 154 out of DLH, cotto and Alvarez imo and will be on the up whereas the other 2 where on the slide

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:05 am

I don't see any super-fight on the horizon for Floyd. One (maybe two) fights after this.

He'll always draw punters in America irrespective of who he fights (just like Wlad does with the Germans).

I'd be interested fights against either Trout or Canelo - simply because of the task at hand to beat them, but i can't see those happening.

One fight I'd be interested in seeing is a FMJ Vs JMM rematch at 145. The last time they fought JMM put on more than half a stone to secure the fight, and he was still out weight by 4lb or so.

JMM is more established at the higher weight now. He'll win the four way thing (with Pacman, Bradley and Rios) and add some credability to a FMJ rematch.

It would be more competitive than last time, and a good fight for both to end their careers on.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:35 am

Diamond in the rough wrote:September is looking set to be very competitive It appears we are going to have Bradley Marquez and pacquiao rios winners fighting each other!

Now as we know both alverez and mayweather are both fighting aswell and all are going for the same date

If the Bradley Marquez pacman rios is happening it would appear mayweather will have no choice but to fight alverez and also put on a strong undercard to compete for high ppv numbers

All very good for us the fans as both will have good undercards but one of the events is going to miss out massively who do you think will pull in the most numbers?

i very much doubt that showtime wont give sept 15 to mayweather if he doesnt want to fight canelo. mayweather gets what he wants. canelo wil end up on a later date.
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:21 pm

As some others above, I'm also a little doubtful about Floyd fighting the winner of Alvarez / Trout, particularly if it's Trout who, it seems, is set to become one of those fighters who is damn good but can't draw flies, similar to Winky. 'Money Mayweather', and all that jazz.

As great a fighter as Mayweather is, the past few years of his career have been so infuriating at times. The inactivity, the 'careful' selection of opponents through fear of losing that '0' (I'm really not sure his ego could take seeing that go out the window!) and so on.

It's why I just can't quite find a spot for him in my all-time top ten pound for pounders right now, despite his fantastic talent, great longevity and still very impressive list of victims. I just don't think he's tested and extended himself as fully as those other fighters in my top ten did.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:55 pm

88Chris05 wrote:As some others above, I'm also a little doubtful about Floyd fighting the winner of Alvarez / Trout, particularly if it's Trout who, it seems, is set to become one of those fighters who is damn good but can't draw flies, similar to Winky. 'Money Mayweather', and all that jazz.

As great a fighter as Mayweather is, the past few years of his career have been so infuriating at times. The inactivity, the 'careful' selection of opponents through fear of losing that '0' (I'm really not sure his ego could take seeing that go out the window!) and so on.

It's why I just can't quite find a spot for him in my all-time top ten pound for pounders right now, despite his fantastic talent, great longevity and still very impressive list of victims. I just don't think he's tested and extended himself as fully as those other fighters in my top ten did.

I think mayweather gets to much stick for his "cherry picking" except for pacman he has not really dodge anyone at WW mosley was p4p no. 3 Marquez although moving up had just had a split decision against pacman and was p4p all be it at a lower weight, he picked to fight baldimir over marg but at the time baldimor had 3 belts including the ring magazine belt he would've been stupid to pass up the opertunity! He should've fought cotto before he did but still fought Hatton p4p 7 at the time I think, he missed all top rank fighters but that's just the state boxing had become with greedy promoters

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:10 pm

he missed all top rank fighters but that's just the state boxing had become with greedy promoters
However, as Floyd is fond of saying, "all roads lead to Mayweather" and that he's the star of the show etc etc etc. Truth of the matter is that, Mayweather sells tickets irrespective of who he fights...same with Manny.

IF Floyd had wanted any of those fights, they could have been made and he'd still have made several million dollars without extending himself too much.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:34 pm

Ive got the impression Mayweather has been reasonably selective in recent years about his opponents. He fights sparingly and has a knack for picking guys at a sellable time. They are good fighters he faces but he doesn’t give off the impression of targeting the toughest challenges. By fighting once a year he has a lot of time to target an opponent and be selective.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:00 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
he missed all top rank fighters but that's just the state boxing had become with greedy promoters
However, as Floyd is fond of saying, "all roads lead to Mayweather" and that he's the star of the show etc etc etc. Truth of the matter is that, Mayweather sells tickets irrespective of who he fights...same with Manny.

IF Floyd had wanted any of those fights, they could have been made and he'd still have made several million dollars without extending himself too much.

True but as a promoter of the fights aswell he atumatically loses money! As he has to share the profits with arum! That's why arum always has in house fighters! Floyd pays golden boy a flat rate a bit like he offered manny in the 40million which I personally thought was a great deal for pacquiao 2-3 times what he's use to being paid!

But as you said if he wanted those fights he could've made them happen but would've been for less money

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:06 pm

"Cherry pick" is harsh but he has chosen slightly underwhelming opposition but at a moment I.e, after Mosley beat marg, Ortiz wo a FOTY etc so its harder to pick holes against

Apart from Baldomir (again, picked him at a good time after the Judah win) most of his fights have made sense

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down