The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who has the best fans?

+9
BlueNote
disneychilly
Shifty
SecretFly
BristolDave
RuggerRadge2611
LordDowlais
InjuredYetAgain
R!skysports
13 posters

Go down

Who has the best fans? Empty Who has the best fans?

Post by R!skysports Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:20 am

Spinning off from another thread where I got all nostalgic for some of the fans enjoyment, thought I would put a place for us to discuss were and with whom you have had the best rugby watching experience

I will start

two come to mind

First lions test in NZ - 12 of us, 11 with tickets. My left alone in sports bar, all dressed up in lions top, kilt and Scottish flag -hogging the large table in front of the screen. After some quite approaches by some New Zealander types, had a blast (Especially after they realized trying to poke fun at how bad our team was would not work - as already knew they were terrible), ended up leading songs, testing the local talents lip gloss and sharing drinks with a fantastic bunch (On a side note, also had to laugh when said 11 mates could not get back into the bar as at capacity and were left outside in minus several degrees lol ) - (On a side side note, bumped into Gavin Hastings - thought he would be bigger!)

The second was in Paris - Scotland beat France for the first time in 26 year is France. Many drinks later, after singing on the shoulders of the French fans, ended up at the bar stopping traffic and kissing all the girls in the cars - not quite realising my Dad had arrived at the bar as well, and watched my with a mixture of pride and pity. Ended up with an Irish girl is a hotel that would not be out of place in Hill Street Blues - French fans were so fantastic and gracious in defeat - a truly superb night

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Who has the best fans? Empty Re: Who has the best fans?

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 pm

Risky, how many international caps do you have for tonsil hockey? You appear to be a Scottish Russell Brand

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:31 pm

So many for me, but one that stands out in recent memory was England in 2008, it was my mothers 50th birthday so my misses decided to do something nice for her, so she booked her and my Father into the Hilton in Bristol, oh how I laughed at my old man when I found out it was international day and that Wales were playing England and he had to endure a day of spa's and pamperings, then my wife thought it sounded so nice she booked us in as well, and my eldest daughter,then my sister in law and brother tagged along, so the day came and I was feeling very peed off, I made my way down to the hotel bar and started watching the Ireland V Italy game when out of the blue, my old man turned up looking all mischievous and the e few seconds later my brother turned up, we had all done a runner. With this we decided that the hotel bar was way to easy to get found in so we decided to go exploring around the area, we found a bar called the Bradley Stoke inn, it was rammed with English fans and only the three of us in our Welsh shirts, oh how the banter was flowing when England were ripping us a new one in the first half, then by the end of the game the three of us were jumping around in joy, never have I had so much fun watching rugby across the bridge, the English were excellent and less chopsy at the end but I really enjoyed myself and the Bristolians in that pub were superb, the only downer was the girls were all waiting to be taken out for a meal and we were all ratted, but they saw the funny side in the end. Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Travelling in a kilt does offer something of an advantage when pulling the ladies.

Before meeting Mrs Radge and wearing a kilt on match day in Cardiff and London did attract a lot of attention.

Esepcially when being asked by the ladies : "What do you wear under your kilt?" and following it up with the bullish one word answer : "Lipstick."

Of course it sounds good in the hardcore gruff Fifer accent. The Edinburgh accent probably wouldn't cut the mustard, unless it was Sean Connery.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:39 pm

InjuredYetAgain wrote:Risky, how many international caps do you have for tonsil hockey? You appear to be a Scottish Russell Brand

One of two

I quickly realised not talking was my best chance of pulling

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:10 pm

For me it was 1st Lions test in Durban. Was in the Lions supporters village and was then invited to a braai where all the SA fans were (equivalent of the west car park at Twickenham) Incredibly friendly and even when we walked passed anyone people were grabbing us and giving us drink and food. When we went to get some some beer so that we weren't empty handed the bar staff just gave us a load of cans free as long as we removed our Lions shirts in the bar. A short visit turned into something a bit longer and we left Kings Park about midnight (?? memory was a bit fuddled by then)

Another good one was Ireland v Japan in 1991 WC. The number of times a bottle of whiskey came past to take a drink out off.!! Some good friends made that day. Went back to Finglas with them to carry on drinking.

Lord - Bradley Stoke (or Sadley Broke) Inn as all non BS people call can be a good laugh on match day.

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Japan

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:53 pm

I reckon Wales, no stadium gets close to Cardiff when the Welsh are in an important game.

Japan could be a close second they still smile and wave their flags regardless of how much their losing by!
Still as Max Boyce said, in Japan they read up and down so they could just be reading the score board wrong. Whistle
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:04 pm

You Europeans can show us a thing or two. Not that we could encourage singing-compared to you lot we're useless-but wow I reckon we only figured out how to cheer in the 2011 semi. Best Kiwi crowd I've seen I reckon. Kiwis leave a lot to be desired really-we carry on like lunatics in other sports but in rugby we turn into quiet analytical w*nkers who aren't loud enough to outcheer the visiting fans. If not then it's WC time and we're deathly still in the middle of a breakdown. We won the thing and it stil happened-must have been the quietest WC final ever.

Love a lot of the SA guys. They're loud and boisterous but most of them appreciate good rugby regardless of it's done to or by their team. Excellent hosts too. Though I wish they had those hot tubs full of crumpet like at Kings Park in every Saffa's home...

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:42 pm

I have a soft spot for Toulouse fans, a great bunch, and was also impressed by Leicester fans when I went to Welford Road.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:20 pm

BristolDave wrote:For me it was 1st Lions test in Durban. Was in the Lions supporters village and was then invited to a braai where all the SA fans were (equivalent of the west car park at Twickenham) Incredibly friendly and even when we walked passed anyone people were grabbing us and giving us drink and food. When we went to get some some beer so that we weren't empty handed the bar staff just gave us a load of cans free as long as we removed our Lions shirts in the bar. A short visit turned into something a bit longer and we left Kings Park about midnight (?? memory was a bit fuddled by then)

Another good one was Ireland v Japan in 1991 WC. The number of times a bottle of whiskey came past to take a drink out off.!! Some good friends made that day. Went back to Finglas with them to carry on drinking.

Lord - Bradley Stoke (or Sadley Broke) Inn as all non BS people call can be a good laugh on match day.

Ah BristolDave, you know the place, do me a favour and thank the owner again for me for the bottle of champers he opened for me, my brother and my old man to celebrate, I have to be honest, you English guys get a bad rap at times but I always enjoy myself when I go to Richmond and your neck of the woods was not bad either.

Ps. what is a non BS person.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Rodney Parade is a great ground when the Dragons are playing well at the Hazel stand is in the mood for a song! Very Happy
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Wales has the best fans, obviously.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:55 pm

The Barmy army were fantastic at the cricket during the 3rd test match...by a mile the best supporters I've seen!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:58 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Ah BristolDave, you know the place, do me a favour and thank the owner again for me for the bottle of champers he opened for me, my brother and my old man to celebrate, I have to be honest, you English guys get a bad rap at times but I always enjoy myself when I go to Richmond and your neck of the woods was not bad either.

Non Bristol. The Cross Hands in Fishponds is a good rugby pub. Probably the only rugby pub around this part.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:25 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Non Bristol. The Cross Hands in Fishponds is a good rugby pub. Probably the only rugby pub around this part.

Non BS - non bradley stoke. other bristolians call it sadly broke. Have good friends who live there so they forgive me. Will thank owner next time I'm up there.

The cross hands is well known as well at only a couple of miles from my home .

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:26 am

Pontypool.....the real Ponty. Best fans in the world.

Pooler!!! Pooler!!! Pooler!!!
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:54 am

Risky and Gerry Butler.

Never seen in the same room...Headscratch
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down