The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Each Lions Nations results against the Aussies

+13
BigTrevsbigmac
Ledge the ledgebag
gleesonisgod
offload
GLove39
Bathman_in_London
TJ1
rodders
Taffineastbourne
maestegmafia
Notch
Hound_of_Harrow
BODisGOD
17 posters

Go down

Each Lions Nations results against the Aussies Empty Each Lions Nations results against the Aussies

Post by BODisGOD Wed 27 Mar 2013, 8:21 pm

In the last 7 years;
England
17 November 2012 14 – 20 Australia
13 November 2010 35 – 18 England
19 June 2010 20 – 21 England
12 June 2010 27 – 17 Australia
7 November 2009 9 – 18 Australia
15 November 2008 14 – 28 Australia
6 October 2007 10 – 12 England
17 June 2006 43 – 18 Australia
Won 3
Lost 5
38%-win rate
Scotland
5 June 2012 Hunter Stadium 6 – 9 Scotland
21 November 2009 Murrayfield 9 – 8 Scotland
25 November 2006 Murrayfield 15 – 44 Australia
Won 2
Lost 1
66%-win rate
Wales
1 December 2012 Millennium Stadium 12 – 14 Australia
23 June 2012 Sydney Football Stadium 20 – 19 Australia
16 June 2012 Etihad Stadium 25 – 23 Australia
9 June 2012 Suncorp Stadium 27 – 19 Australia
3 December 2011 Millennium Stadium 18 – 24 Australia
21 October 2011 Eden Park 21 – 18 Australia
6 November 2010 Millennium Stadium 16 – 25 Australia
28 November 2009 Millennium Stadium 12 – 33 Australia
29 November 2008 Millennium Stadium 21 – 18 Wales
15 September 2007 Millennium Stadium 20 – 32 Australia
2 June 2007 Suncorp Stadium 31 – 0 Australia
26 May 2007 Telstra Stadium 29 – 23 Australia
4 November 2006 Millennium Stadium 29 – 29 draw
Won-1
Lost-11
1 Draw
9%-win rate
Ireland
September 2011 Eden Park 15 – 6 Ireland
26 June 2010 Suncorp Stadium 22 – 15 Australia
15 November 2009 Croke Park 20 – 20 draw
14 June 2008 Colonial Stadium 18 – 12 Australia
19 November 2006 Lansdowne Road 21 – 6 Ireland
Won-2
Lost-2
1 Draw
40%-win rate

BODisGOD

Back to top Go down

Each Lions Nations results against the Aussies Empty Re: Each Lions Nations results against the Aussies

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Wed 27 Mar 2013, 8:44 pm

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. None of the teams will be taking on Aus on their own over the summer.

Headscratch

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Each Lions Nations results against the Aussies Empty Re: Each Lions Nations results against the Aussies

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Wed 27 Mar 2013, 8:53 pm

Also, there's no point dwelling on past results involving the four 'Lions' nations. It will all be about the 'here and now' during training and the games.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by BODisGOD Wed 27 Mar 2013, 9:08 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:Also, there's no point dwelling on past results involving the four 'Lions' nations. It will all be about the 'here and now' during training and the games.

OK just calm down, I'm going to guess your English(cheers Notch), and I know what your saying, but I'm just stating the facts(statistics), don't shoot the messenger!

Last edited by BODisGOD on Wed 27 Mar 2013, 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

BODisGOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 27 Mar 2013, 10:12 pm

He's English.

I agree- it doesn't matter that much. It's only relevant in that we have to move beyond playing like Gatlands Wales but even that is a bit tenuous. Going back to games in 2006 though, is really too tenuous. That is irrelevant now. Ireland team in 2006 was;

B Young, R. Best, J. Hayes, D. O'Callaghan, P. O'Connell, N. Best, D. Wallace, D. Leamy, I. Boss, R. O'Gara, D. Hickie, G. D'Arcy, B. O'Driscoll, S. Horgan and G. Murphy

There are only three players who are even in contention for the tour, half the team is retired. How those 3 did in a test match seven years ago means very little.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by BODisGOD Wed 27 Mar 2013, 11:01 pm

Notch wrote:He's English.

I agree- it doesn't matter that much. It's only relevant in that we have to move beyond playing like Gatlands Wales but even that is a bit tenuous. Going back to games in 2006 though, is really too tenuous. That is irrelevant now. Ireland team in 2006 was;

B Young, R. Best, J. Hayes, D. O'Callaghan, P. O'Connell, N. Best, D. Wallace, D. Leamy, I. Boss, R. O'Gara, D. Hickie, G. D'Arcy, B. O'Driscoll, S. Horgan and G. Murphy

There are only three players who are even in contention for the tour, half the team is retired. How those 3 did in a test match seven years ago means very little.

I'm not talking about the players, more the style of play that teams have used in the past, to be successful in victory! For instance, clearly bashing the ball up with big centres and wings isn't going to cut it, if history counts for anything!

BODisGOD

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 28 Mar 2013, 2:49 am

BODisGOD wrote:

I'm not talking about the players, more the style of play that teams have used in the past, to be successful in victory! For instance, clearly bashing the ball up with big centres and wings isn't going to cut it, if history counts for anything!

Thanks for collating the numbers, you are giving us "the facts" but not really sure they have any relevance to 2013 and the players in contention for the tour.

Most of those teams have different coaches too.

Regarding the Welsh results, Gatland wasn't coaching for a good number of those as well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 28 Mar 2013, 4:49 am

For the life of me I cannot see what relevance these results have.I am pretty sure that Gats and his team are more focused on the present.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 28 Mar 2013, 5:21 am

Out of interest why the 7 year cut off point?

I think 2 years would be more relevant...in which case Scotland have a 100% win rate and the other nations 0% ......... thumbsup
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Thu 28 Mar 2013, 5:31 am

BODisGOD wrote:

In which case the lions need to take the Scottish approach. Prey for rain, punt the ball down the other end constantly. Play Jacobsen and tell him the man with the ball has the pies and is going to eat them all. Tackle them to death and beyond

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 28 Mar 2013, 5:36 am

TJ wrote:
BODisGOD wrote:

In which case the lions need to take the Scottish approach. Prey for rain, punt the ball down the other end constantly. Play Jacobsen and tell him the man with the ball has the pies and is going to eat them all. Tackle them to death and beyond

I was going to say, what these stats tell us is that the games should be played in a storm, preferably in the depths of a scottish winter, or if not then at least played when a weather front has moved up from the south pole.

Presumably a re-call for Dan Parks too?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu 28 Mar 2013, 8:03 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:
TJ wrote:
BODisGOD wrote:

I was going to say, what these stats tell us is that the games should be played in a storm, preferably in the depths of a scottish winter, or if not then at least played when a weather front has moved up from the south pole.

Presumably a re-call for Dan Parks too?
amazingly Dan Parks played no part in either the 09 or 12 victories. But agree that a rain dance or two in the week leading up to the first test might be a plan!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 28 Mar 2013, 8:58 am

[/quote]

OK just calm down, I'm going to guess your English(cheers Notch), and I know what your saying, but I'm just stating the facts(statistics), don't shoot the messenger![/quote]

What exactly is the message?? None of the home nations are playing the aussies this summer.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Thu 28 Mar 2013, 9:19 am

[/quote]

OK just calm down, I'm going to guess your English(cheers Notch), and I know what your saying, but I'm just stating the facts(statistics), don't shoot the messenger![/quote]

If you're the messenger than who sent you?

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by BODisGOD Thu 28 Mar 2013, 9:52 am

Ahh brilliant , this guy Tj is clever

BODisGOD

Back to top Go down

Post by BODisGOD Thu 28 Mar 2013, 10:13 am

maestegmafia wrote:
BODisGOD wrote:

Thanks for collating the numbers, you are giving us "the facts" but not really sure they have any relevance to 2013 and the players in contention for the tour.

Most of those teams have different coaches too.

Regarding the Welsh results, Gatland wasn't coaching for a good number of those as well.

Fine,with Gatland at coach Wales have won 1, and lost 8

BODisGOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledge the ledgebag Thu 28 Mar 2013, 7:54 pm

You still can't trust the welsh against Australia, they just can't beat them. Even in the autumn they lost to an Australian side that had no interest in winning!

Ledge the ledgebag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Mar 2013, 1:14 am

Ledge the ledgebag wrote:You still can't trust the welsh against Australia, they just can't beat them. Even in the autumn they lost to an Australian side that had no interest in winning!

Yeah, it is a bit of a pain losing meaningless games, but then winning our bread and butter competition twice in a row. I'm getting really cheesed off with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 29 Mar 2013, 2:46 am

Risca Rev wrote:
Ledge the ledgebag wrote:You still can't trust the welsh against Australia, they just can't beat them. Even in the autumn they lost to an Australian side that had no interest in winning!

Yeah, it is a bit of a pain losing meaningless games, but then winning our bread and butter competition twice in a row. I'm getting really cheesed off with it.

Maybe - but surely Wales should be looking to beat the SH teams & for sometime now that has been beyond them. They have come close regularly & really should have done it last year against a weak Oz squad.

It will be interesting to look at Gatlands tactics for the Lions compared to how Wales played against Oz. Given that bigger better choice of player is available will we see more enterprise from the backs?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 29 Mar 2013, 4:13 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

Maybe - but surely Wales should be looking to beat the SH teams & for sometime now that has been beyond them. They have come close regularly & really should have done it last year against a weak Oz squad.

It will be interesting to look at Gatlands tactics for the Lions compared to how Wales played against Oz. Given that bigger better choice of player is available will we see more enterprise from the backs?

Having a bit of a dig there Trev...???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 29 Mar 2013, 4:22 am

Not sure that Trev is having a dig.

Galtland definitely has a bigger pool of players to choose from for the Lions, and unless you actually believe that there are 35 Welshmen who are better players than everyone else, he also has a choice of better players.

Wales, having won the 6 Nations 4 times since 2005 with 3 Grand Slams should absolutely be looking to beat the SH teams regularly. This has not happened, and Aus did have massive injury problems last year, that is a fact not an opinion.

Not sure how that can be seen as a dig.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Mar 2013, 4:31 am

It isn't a dig. In fact I see it as a massive compliment, that Australia always raise their game against the best the Northern Hemisphere has to offer laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 29 Mar 2013, 4:53 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Not sure that Trev is having a dig.

Galtland definitely has a bigger pool of players to choose from for the Lions, and unless you actually believe that there are 35 Welshmen who are better players than everyone else, he also has a choice of better players.

Wales, having won the 6 Nations 4 times since 2005 with 3 Grand Slams should absolutely be looking to beat the SH teams regularly. This has not happened, and Aus did have massive injury problems last year, that is a fact not an opinion.

Ozzy/Trev

Sorry if I interpreted this wrong but reading so much rubbish on these boards over the last week from the usual trolling morons it is tough to differentiate one from the other.

I read the first part as Trev intimating that outside of Wales there are better and more skilful players. Apologies if I am wrong.

Though the second part is ridiculous, do you actually think Wales are not trying to beat the SH nations? They are trying bloody hard to do so. They might not have won a game in five years but they are trying bloody hard. Regarding injury problems both sides had them to say one was worse than the other is far more debatable than factual.

It is become quite a petty stick to beat the Welsh Lions hopefuls with and it is rather a pathetic one.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Fri 29 Mar 2013, 5:21 am

Maest

I think you're being over sensitive. There are better players outside Wales in some positions - depending upon the gameplan you want to implement.

I think the problem Wales have against the SH teams - apart from confidence issues - is their gameplan. All the SH teams will happily defend all day against strong players running straight at them - and will then murder you on the break.

If the Lions play like Wales, I genuinely believe they'll lose to Aus. So just picking the Welsh team, however good they are at the moment would be a massive tactical error and I think Gatland's too smart for that.

The Lions need players who can offload, change the point of attack and mix up the plays - something Wales have shown no signs of doing in recent years.

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 29 Mar 2013, 5:29 am

wickedwasp wrote:Maest

I think you're being over sensitive. There are better players outside Wales in some positions - depending upon the gameplan you want to implement.

I think the problem Wales have against the SH teams - apart from confidence issues - is their gameplan. All the SH teams will happily defend all day against strong players running straight at them - and will then murder you on the break.

If the Lions play like Wales, I genuinely believe they'll lose to Aus. So just picking the Welsh team, however good they are at the moment would be a massive tactical error and I think Gatland's too smart for that.

The Lions need players who can offload, change the point of attack and mix up the plays - something Wales have shown no signs of doing in recent years.

I completely agree...! I think you are misunderstanding the above posts a touch.

But anyhow yes the a simple game plan doesn't work, hense I have posted numerous times that I would like to see the inclusion of players like Matt Scott or Marshall in the centre, good strike runners like Hogg, Maitland, Gilroy...! These lads score and create tries.

We could have a very fast, illusive and creative team for this tour. With Flankers like Warburton and Tipuric and athletes like Richie Gray in the forwards it could be a very exciting tour.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Mar 2013, 5:50 am

I do genuinely believe there will end up being a very good split between the nations on the Lions. I keep saying, but I do believe Gatland will be looking forward to working with new players and I do think he will want to really have a crack at them, if conditions dictate.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 29 Mar 2013, 5:54 am

wickedwasp wrote:Maest

Precisely Wicked! The challenge for Gatland is to utilise the players & gameplan beyond that which has been unsuccessful for Wales. Ie straight hard running, kicking long and pressing etc..
It needs a mix & I believe we need more creative players that aren't necessarily first choice for the national teams.
A massive challenge if taken up. But of course Gatland may play safe & go with a huge back line of straight running players like Wales have. A mistake in my opinion but one to ponder.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 29 Mar 2013, 6:31 am

Risca Rev wrote:I do genuinely believe there will end up being a very good split between the nations on the Lions. I keep saying, but I do believe Gatland will be looking forward to working with new players and I do think he will want to really have a crack at them, if conditions dictate.

I agree there is too much competition and too varied a player type for this to go one way or the other. This is the most interesting and unpredictable squad selection I have ever witnessed, and there has been a few now...!

In every position there are at least two guys in contention, in most positions there are three or four, some have five or six all vying a perfectly good case for inclusion.

We need to look at the positive aspects of each home nations team to find the elements that will come together and give us a strong squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 29 Mar 2013, 8:30 am

Is this another GG account?

as others have mentioned, the stats mean nothing.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Fri 29 Mar 2013, 4:45 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:Not sure that Trev is having a dig.

Ozzy/Trev

Sorry if I interpreted this wrong but reading so much rubbish on these boards over the last week from the usual trolling morons it is tough to differentiate one from the other.

I read the first part as Trev intimating that outside of Wales there are better and more skilful players. Apologies if I am wrong.

Though the second part is ridiculous, do you actually think Wales are not trying to beat the SH nations? They are trying bloody hard to do so. They might not have won a game in five years but they are trying bloody hard. Regarding injury problems both sides had them to say one was worse than the other is far more debatable than factual.

It is become quite a petty stick to beat the Welsh Lions hopefuls with and it is rather a pathetic one.

Well said there Maesteg... Wales winning championships seems to get to some people. Take Bodisgod, who I'm pretty sure was posting as Hugo123 last week, having to create another account (Ledge) and agree with himself because nobody else will.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down