The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey V Leicestershire

+3
Tibor
Corporalhumblebucket
Carrotdude
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Surrey V Leicestershire  Empty Surrey V Leicestershire

Post by Carrotdude Tue 03 May 2011, 4:49 pm

Surrey have named a very interesting 13 man squad for the CC game against Leicestershire starting on Wednesday. Ramps and Tremlett are both available with Wilson and Brown both left out. This means that we will have a brand new opening pair of, I assume, Ramps and Davies. That would leave de Bruyn, RHB, Maynard and Roy as the rest of the batting and then 7 bowlers fighting for 5 places. Probably Linley and Schofiled to miss out do we think? Tremlett, Meaker and Dernbach as a front 3 bowling attack looks pretty good but out batting looks a bit weak.

Rory Hamilton-Brown (Captain)
Jason Roy
Mark Ramprakash
Zander de Bruyn
Steven Davies (Wicket Keeper)
Tom Maynard
Gareth Batty
Chris Schofield
Stuart Meaker
Chris Tremlett
Yasir Arafat
Tim Linley
Jade Dernbach

Edit: after reading the article it appears that Hyphen and Roy will be opening together which I really don't agree with tbh. Can't see either of them lasting too well against the new ball Sad

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Surrey V Leicestershire  Empty Re: Surrey V Leicestershire

Post by Guest Tue 03 May 2011, 6:54 pm

im an essex fan but i would fully expect surrey to beat lecistershire convincgly

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 03 May 2011, 8:29 pm

Pleased to see Adams has followed my advice from the Surrey v Scot/Hants thread yesterday evening:

"Maybe we could drop both openers (Wilson and Brown) and pick both Roy and Ramps!"

The exclamation mark was because I had no idea what would be done about the openers.... Carrot - I agree it's quite a gamble. Roy seems to have grit as well as flair.

Providing they are fit we have to play Tremlett, Dernbach and Meaker. It's difficult to see Batty or Arafat missing out, so I would agree with Carrot's suggestion that the Viscount and Schofield will probably be bringing out the helmet for short leg. Essential that we bowl a side out twice while we have Tremlett....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Tue 03 May 2011, 10:35 pm

I have been following most of Leicestershires matches this year in all competitions, as part of my previously mentioned monitoring of James Taylor, and an observation that was very clear is that their batting is extremely brittle (little Jimmy Taylor excluded).

With Tremlett back, as the Coporal points out, and this weakeness in the Leics batting, this should be a obvious oppurtunity to take 20 wickets.

p.s. good luck to RHB and Roy as openers, get the feeling they are going to need it. RHB in particular has not done well opening this season, allbeit in limited overs. Who knows, maybe these positions will tap into RHBs and Roys full potential!

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 03 May 2011, 10:51 pm

The only positive to take is that Wilson and Brown haven't been doing brilliantly so they don't have a lot to lose.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 04 May 2011, 12:03 am

Agree with Carrot and others that Viscount and Schofield will be the ones to miss out assuming the rest are all fit. I trust Meaker is okay to start.

I think leaving out Brown and Wilson is the right decision but still feel a bit sorry for both. Brown - probably brought back before he was properly ready with the unrealistic expectation that he could immediately carry on where he left off in 2009. Wilson - batted out of position for the good of the team and then jettisoned as soon as things go pear shaped.

Delighted that Roy is back but very much doubt that he and Hyphen are the long (or, in fact, even medium) term solution to our opening problem. If we bat first tomorrow, will we be 150 - 0 at lunch or 10 - 2 at 11:15? As well as Brown and Wilson, Harinath and Lancefield should keep plugging away in the seconds as I suspect their time might still come again this season ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 04 May 2011, 11:07 am

Working at home today - editing 'The Surrey Salt 2010 Yearbook' which fortunately allows me the opportunity to tune into Churchy from time to time.

Surrey team as predicted with Viscount and Schofield sitting this one out. Following on from Tibor's comments last night, player for player we should win comfortably. However, I thought that last year when Leics won by an innings at the Oval!

Anyway, Leics have won the toss and put us in. Fireworks or tears to follow from Hyphen and Roy?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Wed 04 May 2011, 11:10 am

tears.

6/1, Roy gone LBW to Hoggard.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 04 May 2011, 11:48 am

Morning all!

Ship is currently being steadied by Hyphen and the mighty Ramps. Hope Roy isn't judged by this innings, he's no more an opener than Wilson was/is

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 04 May 2011, 1:25 pm

Goochie - delighted to have you here, welcome aboard. I'm sure the Corporal will invite you along for a few snifters in the officers' mess tonight!

Lunchtime - 123 for 3. Hyphen and the mighty Ramps have now joined Roy back in the hutch.

Between them, Roy and Hyphen amassed 46 runs and used up 61 deliveries. Not an abject failure but not really a significant improvement on the Brown & Wilson pairing. Probably harsh to judge this early on but I don't think many of us see Hyphen and Roy being natural opening partners.

Whilst I'm very pleased to see Roy back in the CC side and acknowledge that Maynard has done well, I don't believe they complement each other ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 04 May 2011, 2:31 pm

Cheers Guildford, that sounds very civilised!

The ship is in danger of sinking! 155-5, They're into the tail now (if a ship had a tail!) I can't see us getting much more than 200 now.........that's becoming our par score these days!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 04 May 2011, 2:47 pm

Goochie - agree not good. Clearly a lot depends on Maynard and Batty. At least they're both in good form with the bat.

Rather concerned to hear Churchy say a few minutes ago that he didn't think Leics had bowled all that well ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 04 May 2011, 3:19 pm

200 up and Henderson gets his first bowl of the day! I suppose no matter how poorly you bowl it only takes one good 'un to get a wicket - let's hope the 'lower order' can hang around with Maynard to see us past 300+, then see what our strong looking 4 pronged seam attack can do!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 04 May 2011, 3:49 pm

Big Claude gets Tommy Boy! Important wicket.

239 - 7 ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 04 May 2011, 4:04 pm

He's been our most consistent bat by far and certainly justifying his position. Need our overseas signing to contribute now!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Wed 04 May 2011, 5:05 pm

all out for 294, annoyingly short of 300.

Still, should be a useful total on what has been widely described as a very green pitch. Tremlett - fill your boots please!

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 04 May 2011, 5:07 pm

294 all out. Doubt that will be enough. Too many got a start but didn't go on. Time for the bowlers to live up to their pre match billing ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 04 May 2011, 6:45 pm

Leics 56 - 2 at the close, making our final score look healthier. Intriguingly poised.

If we can get Little Jimmy early in the morning, we'll be on top for the fourth time in as many games and must ensure that this time we go on to make it count ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 04 May 2011, 9:45 pm

Gooch et al - all welcome to the officers' mess with added bonus of inspecting the newly painted window (as per Surrey vs Scotland and Hampshire thread)

All to play for. Will be very disappointed if our attack, for once available in force, fails to fire on all cylinders tomorrow.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 05 May 2011, 9:32 am

Morning all

That window looks pristine now Corporal and I noticed a spick and span lawn as I passed Guildford Towers!

Still trying to work out the pitch from yesterday - a green top yet the spinner took 3 wickets!? 294 on the 1st day at the Oval would seem below par, but as we were inserted it may be a false assumption!

I'll be disappointed now if we don't get a handy first innings lead

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 05 May 2011, 12:59 pm

Well done Norah!! 72-3

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 05 May 2011, 2:10 pm

85-6!! Do we prepare this type of pitch from now on??

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Thu 05 May 2011, 2:25 pm

Firstly pls pls pls lets finish off the tail for once we need a win as I don't want a name change to SuicidalSurreyFan.

Secondly on 606 we have been crying out for seasons for us to prepare bowler friendly pitches. Over the last 4-5 years our batting has been ok but our bowlers have needed the help lets keep this type pitch all season

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 05 May 2011, 2:39 pm

Notts won a championship by preparing green tops for Hadlee and Rice (and a double headed coin!)

This stand is now annoying me - one more wicket and we should be able to wrap this up............surely??!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 May 2011, 2:54 pm

im a bit suprised that batty has only bowled one over and also that schofield isnt playing

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 05 May 2011, 3:58 pm

With the state of the wicket we're obviously only playing one spinner (that's Batty for anyone who doesn't know!!)
To be fair that was an important wicket he got just before lunch and he has bowled well this season
113 lead...........only Surrey could lose this from here!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Thu 05 May 2011, 4:23 pm

just got back and saw the score, not a bad effort (although as always it could have been better).

Like I said last evening, 294 was a good score and i was extremely confident we would have a 1st innnings lead (not!).

Time for some fast runs!

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 05 May 2011, 4:36 pm

We're zipping along at 6 an over here!
2 one day wins and we're well on top in this game.........Surrey's season has started! Smile

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Thu 05 May 2011, 4:56 pm

RHB gone, caught Hoggard, bowled Henderson.

Something tells me it wasn't an edge to slip...

Last edited by Tibor on Thu 05 May 2011, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 May 2011, 5:08 pm

thegooch7 wrote:With the state of the wicket we're obviously only playing one spinner (that's Batty for anyone who doesn't know!!)
To be fair that was an important wicket he got just before lunch and he has bowled well this season
113 lead...........only Surrey could lose this from here!

alright i was only wondering why, theres no need to say obviously playing one spinner i havent seen the pitch so i dont no

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Thu 05 May 2011, 5:49 pm

Roy seems to have trouble on 76, thats his highest List A and first class score (got there twice!) too...

Nonetheless, things going well thus far.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 05 May 2011, 8:34 pm

Evening all! Pleased the paintwork impressed - just don't look too closely!

Excellent day for Surrey. Tremlett - looks like he had an iron grip on the batsmen Very Happy Meaker - fast becoming one of the first names on the teamsheet; Roy - fully justifying Guildford's confidence. Ramps - incredible!

I was on patrol in Central London and I'd say we did really well with the conditions today; there was a weird, glowering sort of atmosphere late morning and it brightened up quite nicely during the late afternoon Very Happy

We'll need to set a big target in case conditions ease and Taylor gets stuck in. But for once I really do have confidence in the Surrey bowling attack.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 05 May 2011, 9:14 pm

Greetings all,

I've been at work and participating in social events (crazy I know) so I haven't had a chance to comment.

After yesterday my thoughts were that we should have got more runs, expecially with 3 people getting 40's and out, however if we could get them out for a similar score we'd still be OK.

After today I am absolutely delighted that we managed to bowl a team out, even with a 75 run partnership in the middle we still had a big lead. Then it was brilliant for Roy to do what he does best, shame he has a mental block at 76 though! While I might not agree with them opening, if Hyphen and Roy both got going we could get a very large total very quickly which is exciting. 2 innings in and Ramps is already averaging 90 - standard really for him. All looks very promising for a positive result but I'm counting any poultry just yet.

How brilliant is it to have a surface a the Oval where it is possible to get wickets?

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 05 May 2011, 9:29 pm

Just been watching the highlights on YouTube and it occurred to me how great it is to have Ramps batting with RHB and Roy when either one is out. His vast experience will be great in helping them to mature and be more selective with their attacking natures. I think it can only be a good thing for our young batsmen to have him back in the side.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 05 May 2011, 9:53 pm

Managed to get along to the Oval today. I fully endorse Corporal's report and agree with all those honourably mentioned in his despatches.

We certainly played well and look set for a deserved victory. All the bowlers got amongst the wickets with, echoing Corporal, the stand out performers being Meaker and Tremlett. A pulsating innings from Roy, think I may have mentioned him before.

Just to throw in a bit of caution before we get too carried away by this performance. As Tibor has already suggested, Leics are unlikely to be promotion contenders. Little Jimmy and Big Claude are class acts but the supporting cast seem to be a bit lacking.

Almost forgot - glad you liked the lawn, Goochie. Wish Mrs Bat was as generous in her feedback!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 05 May 2011, 10:04 pm

Carrot - two fine posts from you about Ramps. Just realised I didn't mention him. He is so brilliant I wrongly took his tremendous match contribution for granted.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 05 May 2011, 10:16 pm

Just watched the highlights on Surrey TV. If you haven't seen already make sure you look out for: Batty's mystery ball that beat Taylor all ends up; Dernbach's excellent slower ball to Henderson; and Meaker demolishing Hoggart's wicket with a pretty rapid delivery.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 05 May 2011, 10:23 pm

Corporal - if you're still there, what about Roy's dismissal? He seemed very aggrieved ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 05 May 2011, 10:33 pm

Yes - "reluctant departure" would be a bit of an understatement. But I would have no idea from the coverage whether or not there was a nick - did you have a view? ... Some of Roy's stroke play was superb.

The Woking salt mines management seem very accommodating when there is a Surrey match on! Or perhaps you are the mine owner....? Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 05 May 2011, 11:02 pm

Roy's stroke play at times was certainly superb. Couldn't tell about his dismissal. Certainly didn't hear a nick but wouldn't really expect to from a bowler of Big Claude's pace.

Definitely not a mine owner but have moved into a consultancy role for Woking salt mines and one or two others. More involved with the grading of salt rather than digging for it. This now allows me to pick and choose my hours a bit more - Woking salt mines have been surprisingly altruistic about this, Mrs Bat less so .... Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 06 May 2011, 10:01 am

Morning all

Missed the final hour yesterday and was hoping to come back in to a J-Roy century, but if he averages 76 in the CC then I won't complain! This has been a good come back after the Middlesex game, and it doesn't matter that Leicester aren't one of the stronger sides in this Division, it can only give everyone's confidence a boost.................assuming the weather doesn't scupper what looks like a victory.
Good to read the chaps first hand experience of the game as it can be a bit misleading watching the Cricinfo updates!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 06 May 2011, 12:18 pm

Ramps gone for 91! Think we'll bat on to a 500 lead and declare before tea..........I hope that rain keeps away!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 06 May 2011, 12:32 pm

Hi Goochie and anyone else out there - just taking a quick break from salt tasting to check the score. Shame the mighty Ramps didn't get a comeback ton but yet again he's done more than enough.

We seem well on the way to making an afternoon declaration. Goochie - I know it's Surrey but I don't believe we'll need anywhere near as much as a 500 lead. The green top wicket was very noticeable yesterday and that should be just what our seam attack need again. Neither side reached 300 in their first innings.

I keep hearing about the possibility of rain but find that surprising as the sun shines down on Gulag Woking ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 06 May 2011, 12:44 pm

Hi Guildford

Well, we're 5 down so we may not get that big a lead anyway now. We've just been so poor bowling in the last inns of our first two matches that the bigger the lead the better!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 06 May 2011, 12:58 pm

311-6 declared, 422 to win. That gives us plenty of time to get the 10 wickets then!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Fri 06 May 2011, 12:58 pm

Good Day Guildford, Gooch

Looks like a few showers tomorrow would be great to get a few wickets today so I don't spend tomorrow doing a sun dance in the garden, what would the neighbours think.

My old cricket clubs motto used to be the latin for "Pray for Rain" lol

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 06 May 2011, 1:09 pm

Hi Depressed and Goochie,

Didn't expect the declaration quites so soon. Perhaps Adams has a feed in to the Met Office!

Think Leics' hopes will largely rest on Taylor and Jefferson. They look like an old fashioned Little & Large circus act but they can both bat a bit, certainly Little Jimmy.

I'm off now to the deepest part of the mine for a few hours. Should resurface late afternoon. In the meantime, remember Meaker is on a hat trick ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 06 May 2011, 2:06 pm

Hi chaps

Well no early breakthrough, 31-0. I'm hoping for a victory today with that early dec! Get Norah on and crowd the bat!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 06 May 2011, 4:58 pm

Well there have certainly been a few breakthroughs whilst I've been underground!

100 - 5 now, Dernbach with a fourfer. Little Jimmy seems their biggest man. Can we get him and win in three days?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Fri 06 May 2011, 5:19 pm

Wish I had counted how many times outside edge has been beaten, a ridiculous amount.

Tremlett and Meaker stretching, I like this bowling line up, can even live with Batty in there as the spinner. Shame we won't see Tremlett much.

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next