The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gatland has picked Lions captain

+6
Notch
belovedfrosties
maestegmafia
mikey_philVIII
Ulster12
bsando
10 posters

Go down

Gatland has picked Lions captain Empty Gatland has picked Lions captain

Post by bsando Sat 30 Mar 2013, 4:36 pm

http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/rugby/story/179629.html

Apparently he has picked his captain and 60-65% of the players. Also, interestingly, he mentions that with tricky selections they're narrowing it down by looking at the players personalities and wether they are team players.

So does that potentially rule out players like Hartley, Ashton or Lawes who are renowned for being a bit.. how do i put this? 'naughty' at times? Will some Of the English antics of 2011 WC come back to haunt some players? And which players who are currently 'maybes' have excellent team spirit and could get the jump on their competitors? Sean Maitland and Jamie Heaslip spring to mind.

Who do you think will be his choice of captain?

Which players do you think might be deemed to fit Gatlands desired player qualities and potentially get the jump on their rivals?

Last edited by bsando on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Gatland has picked Lions captain Empty Re: Gatland has picked Lions captain

Post by Ulster12 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

Robshaw Warburton Tipuric Wood Faletau and SOB all seem like guys with strong mental attitude and are all team players, but will be interesting to see if all can travel in the same squad or whether Gatland will go for very specific roles in the back row.

Ulster12

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Sat 30 Mar 2013, 5:07 pm

"So does that potentially rule out players like Hartley, Ashton or Lawes who are renowned for being a bit.. how do i put this? 'naughty' at times?"

I think you mean rubbish, not naughty. Hartley edges Youngs for me. He does the basic hooker duties better than most of the other candidates.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 30 Mar 2013, 5:54 pm

mikey_philVIII wrote:"So does that potentially rule out players like Hartley, Ashton or Lawes who are renowned for being a bit.. how do i put this? 'naughty' at times?"

I think you mean rubbish, not naughty. Hartley edges Youngs for me. He does the basic hooker duties better than most of the other candidates.

Why does he get less gametime than Youngs then? Hartley is definitely number two in england in the coaches minds.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:17 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_philVIII wrote:"So does that potentially rule out players like Hartley, Ashton or Lawes who are renowned for being a bit.. how do i put this? 'naughty' at times?"

Why does he get less gametime than Youngs then? Hartley is definitely number two in england in the coaches minds.

It's probably to do with helping Youngs develop maes, if he gets his lineout and scrumming work sorted out he will be a great international. Right now i'd always start with Hartley, he gets the basics done very well, and gets through a lot of work as well, Youngs is a great impact option, and thats how i'd use him for the time being.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:21 pm

I think that puts the likes of Rory Best, Tommy Bowe and Paul O'Connell in the frame. All good team men!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:52 pm

Hooker just needs to throw in straight and push nowadays I reckon, most don't ever strike for the ball and anyway, most feeds are quite non netural contests anyway pretty much towards the 2nd row, so i think Hartley's bulk and throwing in should edge it for him

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:58 pm

Reading between the lines he is planning to select O'Driscoll as captain but covering himself by saying he is prepared to drop the captain if he isn't playing well enough for the test side thumbsup .

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Sun 31 Mar 2013, 12:42 am

belovedfrosties wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

It's probably to do with helping Youngs develop maes, if he gets his lineout and scrumming work sorted out he will be a great international. Right now i'd always start with Hartley, he gets the basics done very well, and gets through a lot of work as well, Youngs is a great impact option, and thats how i'd use him for the time being.

Probably. And my other two choices (Best and Hibbard) are not great at throwing. That's why I would choose Hartley as well. Ford didn't impress in the 6 Nations.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:40 am

Yahoo
mikey_philVIII wrote:
belovedfrosties wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Probably. And my other two choices (Best and Hibbard) are not great at throwing. That's why I would choose Hartley as well. Ford didn't impress in the 6 Nations.

I'd pick young's, he carries alot better than Hartley. In the game yesterday young's apparently played better than hartley.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Mar 2013, 10:00 am

nathan wrote: Yahoo
mikey_philVIII wrote:
belovedfrosties wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

I'd pick young's, he carries alot better than Hartley. In the game yesterday young's apparently played better than hartley.

I think Ken Owens has it all. Could well pip Hartley and Youngs for the tour. Good all rounder and great at turning over ball.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 31 Mar 2013, 10:55 am

So he has picked the Captain but as not said who it will be. Dam it why say this if he is not going to say who it is? why not say nothing instead of leaving every one in suspence.

I notice some people are saying Paul O'connel. Really? as he really played enough high tempo games too become viable for the Lions tour?

I guess we will have too wait and see wont we/

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Mar 2013, 1:24 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I notice some people are saying Paul O'connel. Really? as he really played enough high tempo games too become viable for the Lions tour?

Well you took the same stance on Sam Warburton and look at the form he is in right now, one of the two best Flankers in the NH.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 31 Mar 2013, 2:21 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:I notice some people are saying Paul O'connel. Really? as he really played enough high tempo games too become viable for the Lions tour?

Well you took the same stance on Sam Warburton and look at the form he is in right now, one of the two best Flankers in the NH.

maestagmafia

I was actualy expecing to read that Gatland as picked Sam Warburton as Captain. But seeing that he as not mentioned any one. Well i guess it is just a guessing game.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Mar 2013, 2:25 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

maestagmafia

I was actualy expecing to read that Gatland as picked Sam Warburton as Captain. But seeing that he as not mentioned any one. Well i guess it is just a guessing game.

But not a guessing game for Gatland anymore though.

I would have thought that Gatland would have sounded out his other coaches on five or six likely candidates for Captain. The AI's and 6Ns would have helped him firm his choice.

I would say that you are on the money with Warburton, though a great player and a very good captain my choice would be BOD if he is fit.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down