The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6 Nations Sevens?

+6
yappysnap
maestegmafia
SecretFly
RuggerRadge2611
The Great Aukster
wales606
10 posters

Go down

6 Nations Sevens? Empty 6 Nations Sevens?

Post by wales606 Sun 31 Mar 2013 - 20:42

The Six Nations are considering creating a sevens tournament to tap into the sport’s growing popularity, according to a report in the Guardian.

Officials reportedly want to establish a tournament in the lead up to the 2016 Games in Rio, when rugby union will return to the Olympics in Sevens format. It would need to be fitted into a calendar that already boasts the HSBC Sevens World Series from October to May.

England, Scotland and Wales will take part at Rio under the Great Britain banner while players from Northern Ireland will be given the option to play for Ireland if the country qualifies.

http://blogs.espnscrum.com/latest-news/#Six Nations consider sevens tournament

Interesting idea, could be a lot of fun and a good money spinner.

The Murrayfield and Twickernam 7s series have been popular over the last few years (im surprised that the WRU haven't tried to bring the event to the Millenium)

The only problem I can see is that Ireland and Italy don't have a 7s team at present - but I guess both will want one for Rio?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

6 Nations Sevens? Empty Re: 6 Nations Sevens?

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 2 Apr 2013 - 11:10

The IRFU are sensitive to the political ramifications of sending a sevens team to Rio, but there is no reason why they can't scratch a team together for one Saturday in say September.

Would it be a league format like the real thing?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 2 Apr 2013 - 11:57

It is a sensitive issue for Ireland & Ulster.

I must confess I am a bit ignorant of Northern Irish involvement in UK athletics so I'm not sure how Ulstermen would feel about represnting the UK in olympic rugby?

Can anyone care to enlighten me? I know this is a sensitive issue and I hope I don't cause offence by asking the question.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 2 Apr 2013 - 13:06

The Olympic team may be controvesial but i'm sure the IRFU would be able to put together a 7s side for a weekend 6Ns tourement.

If they can sell out twickernam/murrayfield/millenium/landsdown for a weekend it should provide a nice profit for the unions - enough to finance the 7s teams for Ireland and Italy?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 2 Apr 2013 - 14:33

I'd like the idea...love the idea.... of an Ireland Sevens team in a 6N event.

Of course we'd get slaughtered by everyone in it but we need to get serious about Sevens in Ireland. Serious in the sense that it might prove in time at least in some way beneficial to my 15 man game in the long run.

Might as well start at the bottom and take a bloody hiding Wink Wooden spoon we'll take even before the competition starts just to save time.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 2 Apr 2013 - 19:10

Would be great to have a sevens six nations in september... What a fantastic idea.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 2 Apr 2013 - 20:01

I assume it won't contain any recognised Internationals but instead the nations pro 7's players?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 2 Apr 2013 - 22:23

I think it would be much more worthwhile to have Team GB, Ireland, France, Italy then two/four more nations (Spain, Portugal, Germany?) in a 6/8 team tournament over a weekend. You could even have two Team GB teams. But I think it would be useful to have a look at a Team GB sevens team before the actual event. Then you also give a bit of exposure to minor European nations who are actually quite decent at Sevens.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 2 Apr 2013 - 22:27

robbo277 wrote:I think it would be much more worthwhile to have Team GB, Ireland, France, Italy then two/four more nations (Spain, Portugal, Germany?) in a 6/8 team tournament over a weekend. You could even have two Team GB teams. But I think it would be useful to have a look at a Team GB sevens team before the actual event. Then you also give a bit of exposure to minor European nations who are actually quite decent at Sevens.

As many are saying..team GB v Ireland would be a big complex hurdle to think about in Ireland - North and South, given that rugby is an all Ireland game here with one Union overseeing it. So easier mouthed than accomplished really.

Two team GBs would also be an issue methinks........... Wink Let's keep it as fair as possible.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 2 Apr 2013 - 23:44

The reason the irfu don't put any investment in sevens is political. They are not enamoured with the idea of it in the Olympics' as Ireland compete under the Irish republic flag and will clearly compromise their approach.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 3 Apr 2013 - 0:35

Irish olympic team competes under the tri colour but the team is supposed to represent all of Ireland.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed 3 Apr 2013 - 1:11

If it's a 6N 7s tournament then players represent who they do now.

For Ireland, the O'Lympics is a different matter.

Wink

Ireland last fielded a 7s team in George (SA) in the second leg of the IRB 7s in 2004. It's way too late for them to even think about competing in Rio.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down