The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia

+13
rodders
Looseheaded
yappysnap
TJ1
RuggerRadge2611
B91212
Bigman666
Knowsit17
RubyGuby
flyhalffactory
majesticimperialman
Standulstermen
maestegmafia
17 posters

Go down

Left Wing for the Lions

Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap1%Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap0%Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap19%Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 14 ]
Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap0%Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap12%Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 9 ]
Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap36%Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 26 ]
Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap32%Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 23 ]

Total Votes : 73

Poll closed

Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 5:53 pm

Six nations is done. We are a year on since I last held one of these polls and the long term aim was to compare what we selected a year out, a month out and the final squad.

You can pick one player only as your first choice.

I think I have grabbed most of the names in the hat, though my apologies if anyone you consider worthy has been forgotten, if you ask nicely then I am sure one of our excellent moderators might take the time to be kind enough to offer their much valued assistance.

The players included either showed in the Six Nations squads or have been regularly talked of as prospects on the various threads on here.

THERE ARE TWO THREADS ON WINGERS ONE IS FOR LEFT WINGER AND THE OTHER IS FOR THE RIGHT WINGER.

Looseheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42452-loosehead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Hookers - https://www.606v2.com/t42471-hooker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Tightheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42486-tighthead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Lock No. 4 - https://www.606v2.com/t42501-number-4-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956467

Lock no. 5 - https://www.606v2.com/t42502-number-5-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Blindside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42514-blindside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Openside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42515-ospenside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956975

Number 8 - https://www.606v2.com/t42518-number-eight-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1958144

Scrumhalf - https://www.606v2.com/t42531-scrumhalf-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Flyhalf - https://www.606v2.com/t42539-flyhalf-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1958609

Inside Centre - https://www.606v2.com/t42557-inside-centre-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1959728

Outside Centre - https://www.606v2.com/t42556-outside-centre-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Re: Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by Standulstermen Mon 01 Apr 2013, 6:09 pm

I would say the best two Irish wingers this season have been Trimble and Zebo

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Re: Right Winger choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:19 pm

Christian Wade could be a bolter for the Lions and could well get the left wing spot...However i do think it will go to Alex Cuthbert

Mike Brown all though filled in ok for England is not a winger by any stretch of the imagination... I dont think David Strettle will go on the Lions tour.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:31 pm

Can we add Neil Halfpenny and Hogg please as they have been wacked there by a lot of pundits
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:32 pm

Standulstermen wrote:I would say the best two Irish wingers this season have been Trimble and Zebo

Trimble has looked good, though Gilroy is special, I really like him.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:33 pm

Sean Matland showing his pace in the Poll there....! Exciting stuff, could make a great Lion.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:33 pm

Who the feck is Neil Halfpenny? - you back on the whisky FHF thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:43 pm

Didn't you hear Ruby? The reason 1/2p became capable of taking all kicks and not just the long, straight ones like he used to was because Neil Jenkins, in coaching him, has also been discretely injecting him with samples of his own DNA over the last couple of years. Hence the prototype name: Neil Halfpenny Wink

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:57 pm

Oh No!! A ginger Halfpenny - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:04 pm

A ginger, balding Halfpenny! Just imagine... though why you'd want to I don't know Shocked

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:11 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:A ginger, balding Halfpenny! Just imagine... though why you'd want to I don't know Shocked

If anything happened to that boy Halfpenny's looks you would be able to hear the welsh girls hearts break in Japan so loudly they would be running for their tsunami shelters...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigman666 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:08 pm

North plays left wing?

Bigman666

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:09 pm

And North plays right wing.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigman666 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:14 pm

I'd like North on both wings please Smile

Bigman666

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:37 pm

Wouldn't we all

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigman666 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:39 pm

Make it so Maestegmafia!

Bigman666

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:46 pm

I don't think even with the miracles of modern science that cloning is actually possible.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigman666 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:49 pm

They've done it with sheep, surely the Welsh have something up their sleeve?

Bigman666

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:57 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Who the feck is Neil Halfpenny? - you back on the whisky FHF thumbsup

Neil!!! Shocked ........... what I meant was Dave Halfpenny Yahoo

By the way I still think that Halfpenny should be a shoe-in for the Lions but not at FB as I believe after Hoggs sublime performance against Munster he should have nailed the Lions 15 shirt, with 1/2p on the wing with North

Wack Dave and Hogg is the wingers option please Maes
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:18 pm

Halfpenny on the right wing for me (with Hogg at FB and North on the left)

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 02 Apr 2013, 10:16 am

Cuthbert on one wing, Halfpenny on the other. Hogg at full back.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 02 Apr 2013, 10:33 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Cuthbert on one wing, Halfpenny on the other. Hogg at full back.

I think thats my choice - with North as sub to come on on the wing and if Hogg goes off 1/2p to FB

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 02 Apr 2013, 10:46 am

Has Halfpenny ever played 10?

He just looks like he should be a natural in that position and if he could cover there for Sexton then we'd A. Not have to play Farrel and B. have more back three space.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Tue 02 Apr 2013, 12:25 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Knowsit17 wrote:A ginger, balding Halfpenny! Just imagine... though why you'd want to I don't know Shocked

If anything happened to that boy Halfpenny's looks you would be able to hear the welsh girls hearts break in Japan so loudly they would be running for their tsunami shelters...

Not just the Welsh girls Maes, even I'd shed a slight tear over it...

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 02 Apr 2013, 2:56 pm

Andrew Trimble thumbsup
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Apr 2013, 6:08 pm

The poll is open until a week before the squad is announced, there is still a decent amount of rugby to be played and peoples thoughts and views may change. As it stands currently these are the Squad choices by the mob that contributes to 606V2.

I dont know the make up or how many he really will pick so i am just running with top three options...

Loosehead Prop 89 votes so far

Cian Healy 39
Ryan Grant 20
Gethin Jenkins 15

Hooker 92 votes so far

Rory Best 45
Richard Hibbard 21
Tom Youngs 11

Tighthead 74 votes so far

Adam Jones 47
Dan Cole 19
Euan Murray 4

Locks 144 votes so far over the two polls so averaging 72 Votes

Geoff Parling 29
Richie Gray 29
AWJ 21
Ian Evans 20

Blindeside Flankers 78 votes so far

Chris Robshaw 19
Kelly Brown 18
Sean O'Brien 17

Openside Flankers 74 votes so far

Justin Tipuric 33
Sam Warburton 14
Chris Robshaw 13 (leading the Blindside option)
Ross Rennie 8 (Next best after Robshaw)

Number Eight 73 votes so far

Toby Faletau 28
John Beattie 26
Ben Morgan 10

Scrumhalf 73 votes so far

Ben Youngs 38
Mike Phillips 20
Greig Laidlaw 10

Flyhalf 59 votes so far

Jonny Sexton 30
Owen Farrell 13
Dan Biggar 6

Inside Centre 53 votes so far

Billy Twelvetrees 11
Jonathan Davies 13 (Also 3rd in the outside centre Poll)
Matt Scott 11
Jamie Roberts & Luke Marshall 7 (If we were to consider JD2 at outside)

Outside Centre

Brian O'Driscoll 22
Manu Tuilagi 22
Jonathan Davies 9

Right Winger 44 Votes so far

Sean Maitland 22
Alex Cuthbert 11
Christian Wade 7

Left Winger 45 votes so far

George North 21
Tim Visser 8
Simon Zebo 5

Fullback 59 votes so far

Stuart Hogg 25
Leigh Halfpenny 22
Rob Keaney 7

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 02 Apr 2013, 6:34 pm

yappysnap wrote:Has Halfpenny ever played 10?

He just looks like he should be a natural in that position and if he could cover there for Sexton then we'd A. Not have to play Farrel and B. have more back three space.

Often thought this. He'd definitely need to play there for the Blues first though, at least half a season of games
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 02 Apr 2013, 7:00 pm

I've often thought of 1/2P at 10 as well.

Anyways, the best right winger in the UK at the moment has to be a toss up between, Iain Duncan-Smith, Boris Johnson and Paulo Di Canio who's qualified on residency thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Apr 2013, 7:07 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Has Halfpenny ever played 10?

Often thought this. He'd definitely need to play there for the Blues first though, at least half a season of games

Halfpenny is not a flyhalf, doesnt have the right game to be a flyhalf. Halfpenny is a great player at what he does well but he has never displayed the vision and game reading skills you need to be a flyhalf. He is far more of a tackle it, run at it, run round it score it kind of player.

A finisher, not a creator.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 02 Apr 2013, 7:09 pm

1/2P is an intelligent player Maesteg and your appraisal does him a disservice thumbsup

As a first class full back myself the key to your role is game awareness and positioning and 1/2p more than excels in these areas as well as having an intelligent boot - these skills are transferable to 10 IMO thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 02 Apr 2013, 7:32 pm

No, no, no. Leave halfpenny at Fullback or wing. Hook should have been left to blossom at 10. I remember when the 2008 grand slammers turned around that match at Twickers, Hook looked like a Welsh Dan Carter, he was sublime. Incisive, powerful and read the game very well.

Paterson for Scotland was also a victim of his versatility. He had the brains, guts and skill to play 10 but for shifted all around the backline. Had he been left at 10 we wouldn't have had to put up with Parks.

A Patterson/Blair or Cusiter combination would have made Scotland a much tougher prospect to play in the 2000s.

leave halfpenny in the back 3. He can maximize his skill set there.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Apr 2013, 7:45 pm

RubyGuby wrote:1/2P is an intelligent player Maesteg and your appraisal does him a disservice thumbsup

As a first class full back myself the key to your role is game awareness and positioning and 1/2p more than excels in these areas as well as having an intelligent boot - these skills are transferable to 10 IMO thumbsup

Having played 10 and been forced a few times to play fullback they are completely different positions. I agree that you need to read a game well at fullback, but what you are looking for are different things to what you are at Ten.

At ten you have to boss the game, from Fullback you are adding and assisting to that bossing not organising it.

Halfpenny is a back three player, a very good winger and an excellent Fullback. I really do not think he has what it takes to play ten whatsoever.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:33 am

Yet Neil Jenkins moved from 10 to 15 quite easily for the Lions - Probably esier to go form 10 to 15 than 15 to 10 but I wouldn't rule it out completely - Probably a moot point anyway with Biggar and Priestleand fully fit and Patchell showing some decent development - 1/2p's distribution isn't all that great anyways thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:12 am

RubyGuby wrote:Yet Neil Jenkins moved from 10 to 15 quite easily for the Lions - Probably esier to go form 10 to 15 than 15 to 10 but I wouldn't rule it out completely - Probably a moot point anyway with Biggar and Priestleand fully fit and Patchell showing some decent development - 1/2p's distribution isn't all that great anyways thumbsup

Distribution is quite a fundemental part of playing in the halfbacks.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:40 am

Yes Maest, that's why I mentioned it thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:28 am

maestegmafia wrote:

Nobody told Phillips that Whistle
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:29 am

Radge Laugh

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 06 Apr 2013, 1:22 am

Anyone Irish want to switch their vote to Wade Whistle

Also, Madigan surging in the rankings too. Other (kind of) non-Ints with a lot to show this weekend -

Hines, Byrne, Wilko, les Armitages, Easter, Brown in his actual position, the return of the Zebo, POC, Henry, Bowe, Fraser, Hodgson on the bench, a fit Croft, so much to see!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 06 Apr 2013, 9:50 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Nobody told Phillips that Whistle

Radge mate,

I don't think he has a problem with distribution at all, just plays a different type of game. The lad has done really well, considering that we can't all have the natural skills of Greig Laidlaw, or any of the Laidlaws, they have been quite a dynasty.

I see Cuthbert is resurgent in the poll.

Sean Maitland might have surprised a few people. He is a very popular selection.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sat 06 Apr 2013, 10:02 am

Cuthbert and Wade with North at 13.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 06 Apr 2013, 7:18 pm

who is Wade? English winger?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sat 06 Apr 2013, 7:44 pm

bsando wrote:who is Wade? English winger?

yes real and electric pace but quite small...i think there are some questions over him but right now i can't see why on earth Ashton is in the side and he is not

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:25 pm

100%beefy wrote:

yes real and electric pace but quite small...i think there are some questions over him but right now i can't see why on earth Ashton is in the side and he is not

To Answer your question why is Ashton in the England side and Wade is not. Is because Ashton was all ready in the team. And Wade was still in the learning process.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:28 pm

100%beefy wrote:

Don't mind small wingers if they're fast and nimble, I'll check him out. Ashton played well today vs Ulster, good defence and lovely try.

Bowe looked good too but its still early days. He came on when everyone looked a bit knackerd so will be interesting to see his form in the Rabbo because he ran some nice lines and some clever passes.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:28 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
100%beefy wrote:

To Answer your question why is Ashton in the England side and Wade is not. Is because Ashton was all ready in the team. And Wade was still in the learning process.

That's not really justifying it though, is it Madge

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:42 pm

bsando wrote:
100%beefy wrote:

Don't mind small wingers if they're fast and nimble, I'll check him out. Ashton played well today vs Ulster, good defence and lovely try.

Bowe looked good too but its still early days. He came on when everyone looked a bit knackerd so will be interesting to see his form in the Rabbo because he ran some nice lines and some clever passes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL8JQTtNmjM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7TY3E1OD4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAnq1K3qkDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ynjaUQIa4
http://balls.ie/rugby/video-highlights-of-leinsters-ridiculously-entertaining-win-over-wasps-last-night/

10 tries in the Premiership, plus muchos assists, for Wasps who hardly dominate possession, 20 tries in 34 starts overall for Wasps
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:42 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
100%beefy wrote:

That's not really justifying it though, is it Madge

I do understand what you are saying, But Wade all though a try scoring machine is still learning at Wasp.

I would like too see Wade and Vandell start at the same time, For England.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sat 06 Apr 2013, 9:48 pm

100%beefy wrote:

can you elaborate on learning process, surely he would have learned more comin goff the bench for England when Ashton was having a mare in the 6 Nations than not even being considered

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 21 Apr 2013, 4:13 pm

Another weekend done and dusted. The squad to be announced after the next...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down