The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Valero Texas Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

+21
ralphjohn69
EmmDee57
John Cregan
NedB-H
McLaren
boyhyde
beninho
Skydriver
mystiroakey
puligny
GPB
Sheldo25
robopz
Shotrock
princedracula
incontinentia
sirbenson
twoeightnine
Roller_Coaster
pedro
kwinigolfer
25 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

PGA Tour: Valero Texas Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty PGA Tour: Valero Texas Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 02 Apr 2013, 9:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Next year's "Shell Houston Open" will revert to its traditional date the week before The Masters, but it won't be much more exciting than the tournament we enjoyed last weekend. Lots of appetising ingredients with Phil, Rory, Louis and Lee but in the end we could only admire an out-of-the-blue return to Victory Lane by Darren Andrew Points who scored his first Top 60 result of the season, his first Top 15 result since losing, along with Rory McIlroy, in the Quail Hollow play-off last May to Rickie Fowler.

2).Joint runner up was Billy Horschel, extending his string of consecutive cuts made to a Tour-leading 20, one ahead of Poulter.
Horschel's a cocky sod and temperamental as well, when things start going haywire, they don't stop. But this result wraps up his card for the year and I'd expect him to free-wheel to some more good results. In fact, I'd have him in any short-list of non-winners most likely to break through, along with 7th place Kevin Chappell and Cameron Tringale, who slipped away to 16th. There are plenty of hot-shots coming through but these three will win.

3).Also joint runner-up was the always enigmatic Henrik Stenson who booked his ticket to Augusta with four birdies in his final five holes. And: Catch a load of his seasonal stat's:
Driving Accuracy: 1st
Total Driving: 1st
Greens in Regulation: 1st
Ball Striking: 1st
Scrambling: 1st.
And we know he can hit it as far as he wants to, so his 57th place in Driving Distance (290.5 yds) presumably hides a few 3-woods or less off the tee.
An in-form Stenson can beat anyone, yes, anyone, and he's surely earned a spot on short-lists for The Masters.

4).Highest finisher from Team GB&I? Brian Davis of course! He'd disappeared since a T4 in Hartford last year, so that adds up to 20 tournaments played with one Top 25 (15th in Canada) and 14 missed cuts. But Davis is a creature of habit and here are two ways of showing it:
Seasonal:
Money winnings Jan/Feb: 9%
March - June: 62%
July - December: 29%

And geographically:
There are only four events in Texas every year, yet 27% of his career earnings have been split between Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth and San Antonio. 14% in Florida is his next best haul by State. 'Course, he also likes Pete Dye courses but that's for another Note.

5).The golf world was following princedracula this weekend, anxious for him to reveal all the permutations involved in determining owgr Top 50 positions and a ticket to Augusta. In the event Freddie Jacobson, Richard Sterne and Henrik Stenson secured their invitations via the Top 50 while Points joins them as a Tour winner. Lots of disappointment for near misses especially Marcel Siem who was bumped out by Henley, already in the field. All European Golf fans would be thrilled to see Marcel win in San Antonio this week to take his place after all.
Europeans playing The Masters for the first time are:
Alan Dunbar (Amateur Champion)
Colsaerts, Donaldson, Lynn and Olesen.

6).Is the criteria for Masters qualification fair? And, is it worthy of being a Major??
One thing you can say for certain is that all the golfers in the world knew the various qualifying routes from the word go and that Billy Payne would devalue all those criteria by inviting Ryo Ishikawa even after he has relentlessly manifested the fact he is unworthy of a free pass.
Personally, I'd say that inviting back most Past Champions and last year's Top 16, and offering entry to certain Amateur Champions is just fine.

7).For those who suggest the PGA Tour is unfairly favouritised I'd counter by saying that many golfers from other nations compiled owgr points in "subsidised" events.
But one criteria is just bloody daft: Leaders in all the Majors:
Masters: Top 16 (I think Kevin Na is the only one to qualify solely under this rule, and he might not be fit to play).
US Open: Top 8
Open Championship: Top 4
PGA Championship: Top 4
What makes The Open Championship (or the PGA Championship for that matter) inferior to the US Open which, by comparison, has such a weak field?

8).So: If we agree the Top 8 exemption should be applied at least as much to The Open and PGA we can offer commiserations to:
The Open: Thomas Aiken (T7)
PGA Championship: Blake Adams (who is injured, out at least until the autumn).

See, Billy, that wouldn't have hurt, would it now? Couldn't you bring yourself to be seen to be a bit more fair?

9).The American media is having great fun at the American winning streak on Tour, as if it's somehow symptomatic of US dominance. Probably more symptomatic of the decline of just a few International Golfers who have not yet been replaced and the fact that, typically, the Europeans seldom win on the "West Coast" or "Florida" swings.
In approx 185 such tournaments since Jan 2000, the breakdown has been:
USA winners: 127: (Incl 11 WGC's, 5 won by Woods).
International: 43 (4 WGC's): 7 for Els, 6 for Ogilvy, 5 for Singh, 3 each for Appleby and Weir.
Europe: 15 (5 WGC's): 3 for Donald, 2 for Parnevik, no-one else more than 1 each.
Just saying.

10)."The Valero Texas Open" has one of the most generous sponsors and generates among the largest charitable donations of the PGA Tour. But it's been on Finchem's back burner especially after leaving Tillinghast's revered Oak Hills Country Club (home of the fore-runner to the Tour Championship which was won by T.Watson).
Since leaving Oak Hills (now a Champions Tour stop), the quality of the fields has gone down with the quality of the Golf Courses, the last stop before TPC San Antonio being a dump that was overlooked by a roller-coaster.
Apparently Greg Norman's lay-out has had some rough edges smoothed out, some greens made less severe, and some chipping areas moderated so there's some hope that this represents window-shopping for Tour pros who wouldn't otherwise bother to play here.
Whatever happens it will have a later date next year, probably the last week in April.
Who will win? No idea, but the aforesaid trio of Chappell, Horschel and Tringale must have a shout. Freddie Jac has played well here, it's a home date for Jimmy Walker and Brendan Steele followed up his 2011 win with a T4 last year.
And fingers crossed for Marcel Siem.

Last edited by Nay Bother on Tue 09 Apr 2013, 7:33 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Edit: Got my "Open" comparisons the wrong way round . . . .)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Valero Texas Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Valero Texas Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Skydriver Mon 08 Apr 2013, 12:41 pm

It's an interesting trajectory for Martin over the last few years - struggle to retain card for a couple of years, win / gain exemption, win again (with a couple of close calls thrown in too)... and then struggle once exemption runs out. Followed by another win from nowhere. Don't know if this has been on his mind at all, but it must be a great feeling for someone of his non-A list standing to not have to worry too much about playing privileges for a while, especially given recent results.

Regarding the other main "Brit" story, I can't say I'm surprised that Rory is showing signs of form. Had to happen some time! I remain perplexed at the Nike Covert driver though - just looks weird to me, although I haven't actually tried it.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Valero Texas Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Valero Texas Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by SmithersJones Mon 08 Apr 2013, 1:13 pm

I've tried the Covert, and it's only noticeably different when you are looking at the bottom. At address and through the swing you'd never know the cavity was there.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 08 Apr 2013, 1:35 pm

And how are the Augusta prospects for Rory then? He did what he had to do in Texas, couldn't do much about Laidys 63 though.

Let me ask the same question we've asked for Tiger numerous times: "Is Rory back?" Headscratch

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 08 Apr 2013, 1:39 pm

well it was a weakish field. so this doesnt tel us that much.. I said the week befores event was weak. But looking at the amount of players up there playing well if they had all been there this week i would have also assumed many more would have been in contention.

Rors was clearly only average overall and allthough had a great last 18 was beating quite well by(no disrespect) a class 3 golf pro in laird.

He will have got confidence but can anyone see 4 good rounds on the spin from him to beat the masters field and 9 chins!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 08 Apr 2013, 1:39 pm

Rory, like Tiger, held to a different standard. Needs a "W" or two, that's for sure. Love his chances (and TW's) at Augusta. But, if someone offered me the field v those two straight up I would take the bet -- golf at that level just too hard to predict.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 08 Apr 2013, 1:44 pm

I can certainly see TW win a major this year. But i think the masters is going to go elsewhere tbh. I think the english have had a plan(get out of the limelight- and win when no media or hope is on them!!)

I say this when my tougne half in my cheek of course Wink

but the lack of form or wins could be a good omen all the same

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 08 Apr 2013, 1:47 pm

mysti,
You talk a great deal of sense on here, but that comment about Martin Laird is a load of cobblers.

As Mac has said, his record on the PGA Tour is superior to a bunch of more highly exalted players.

Time to recognize the achievements: 3 wins (incl Bay Hill), 5 runners up (incl Barclays and Players). And not the media hype - or lack of it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon 08 Apr 2013, 1:50 pm

Kwini,

I saw most of his back 9. Very rare to support a golfer and see a finish like that to win! Kept an eye on his stats when he appeared on day 1. Everything looked good apart from strokes gained putting. Horschel miles ahead of him, plus everyone else, in strokes gained putting 'til final round. 22 putts in the final round so something clicked! and would think his shut to open swing would be good for bunker play.

Didnt realise he'd moved to Randy Smith for coaching. Seems very well respected.

I thought a high finish at Bayhill HAD to be the kick start for retaining his card. However, will happily take this instead!

PS He still needs to shave what hair he has. Or leave the hat on.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 08 Apr 2013, 1:54 pm

I thought I would get a comeback on laird.. Very Happy

he is a good player i admit,(calling him a class 3 golfer isnt fair- but my thinking was woods and rors are class 1 and rose, scott, westy, luke plus the recent major winners class 2.

I suppose he is one of them players to easily forget in a way, because his before wins havent followed up with form. And if i was going to be really nice to him. i have to admit that i doubt even a mark 1 tiger could have shot 9 under final round to win that event!!

It was a bit unprecedented!! lets see if this can actually kick on to seeing him competing in majors and getting some consitancy going

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 08 Apr 2013, 1:55 pm

Laird is an under-the-radar-guy (except by some people in here of course). Don't know how Augusta will suit him, but I'm sure nobody will expect much from him.
I like Rose's chances though, but even more the possible headlines playing with his name and the magnolias... picard

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 08 Apr 2013, 1:58 pm

laird maybe has a bit of poddy about him..

Winning in that way when it matterd and winning at bay hill certainly shows he can 'win' even if he cant consitantly hit top 20's week in week out!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:13 pm

Laird hits the ball high enough for Augusta but I'm not sure about his general play around the greens. On the greens he was obviously on fire and bunker play was also hot but I'm not convinced about his general 'touch' around the greens. He also hits a fade but according to Mickelson straight is fine for Augusta. I've no real high hopes for him winning but a good enough finish to take him well inside the top 50 would be nice.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:31 pm

Very articulate and respectful post-victory interview - extraordinary that he took EIGHT 3-putts each week at Bay Hill and Tampa:

http://www.pgatour.com/what-they-said/2013/04/07/interview-rd4-laird.html

Also hadn't caught on that he'd gone to Randy Smith. pgatour.com seems to indicate also that he's moved from Scottsdale to Charlotte - wonder what brought that about? Big change anyhow.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:31 pm

mysti,
Class 3 or lower golfers have won frequently at Augusta:
Immelmann (decent class 3 at the time), Weir (OK, maybe class 2 at the time), Schwartzel (although several ET wins still class 3 at the time), Cabrera (although already a Major winner, was defacto semi-retired), Zacher (only 1 PGA win at the time).
All won in the Tiger-Phil era.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:57 pm

Early forecast for The Masters includes fine weather through Wednesday and, probably, Thursday morning.
But then things get iffy:
Thursday: 40% chance of scattered storms, with potential for severe weather. Breezy.

Friday: Cooler (mid 70's) and windy with 70% chance of thunderstorms.

Saturday and Sunday: Lovely, 70's and relatively calm, a mere zephyr according to Ben Wright.

Looks like the early spring has been kind to Augusta, plenty of rain but not too much and normal temps. Should be perfect for the azaleas and even better for the Rose.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 08 Apr 2013, 3:20 pm

thanks kwini,
what are the odds of a weather delay? Whistle

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 08 Apr 2013, 3:49 pm

Wouldn't rule it out pedro!

Worst thing would be the muddy fairways and Augusta's propensity for producing the infernal "mudballs", much reviled by the pros.

Next excitement will be the tee-times and groupings. Unlike its US counterparts, The Masters seems to attempt to downplay "rivalry"-type early round groupings. Which would mean Woods, McIlroy and Mickelson will all likely in separate threesomes.
(Wouldn't rule out Snedeker and T.Watson playing together though.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 08 Apr 2013, 3:52 pm

I wonder if they can refrain from grouping Ishikawa with Fowler.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 08 Apr 2013, 4:19 pm

Reports surfacing that DC has withdrawn due to injury.

There's a player who's had some fine rounds in The Masters but been caught out by lack of fitness when required to play in heavy conditions or more than 18 holes a day.

There might still be injury doubts about Mike Weir and Kevin Na also - expect them to play, but not play well!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 08 Apr 2013, 7:38 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
There might still be injury doubts about Mike Weir and Kevin Na also - expect them to play, but not play well!
beware the injured golfer?? Hopefully that wont apply to the loathsome Na
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:03 pm

Dead excited for the Masters....Are tee times out late tonight or tomorrow? It always says Tuesday on the site but I remember them being released beforehand?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:05 pm

Yeah me to sirbenson- My fav sporting event of the calender year!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:13 pm

One of the best of the calendar year, for sure, that is true!!! Always for me signals the summer is on its way too!!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:27 pm

Theres a kind of magic around the masters alrite, Harrington playing well too benson, nice tune up in Texas for him.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:35 pm

Yes, he did, I am quite optimistic for him this week, if he can just putt decently and play the PAR5'S well he should have a chance Sunday. Not many players have as much belief as Harrington does on the final nine of a major!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:50 pm

benson,
Tee-Times usually published round about the time of Billy Pain's payneful press conference - State of The Masters or whatever he calls it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:08 pm

I wonder what frame of mind Mickelson will be in for the masters as he realises he wont ever be able to tee it up with thatcher?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:19 pm

Yeah mac, he probably would have liked to check out whether her nickname name "Iron Lady" had something to do with golf..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:26 pm

I hope Phil's chances aren't sunk like the Belgrano, still fancy him to overcome is far right tendancies and win so that he and Condi have matching jackets.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:32 pm

Kwini, if Lefty is far righty he wouldn't fancy Condi.
PS. The Belgrano incident was god's (iron) hand.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4