The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Valero Texas Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

+21
ralphjohn69
EmmDee57
John Cregan
NedB-H
McLaren
boyhyde
beninho
Skydriver
mystiroakey
puligny
GPB
Sheldo25
robopz
Shotrock
princedracula
incontinentia
sirbenson
twoeightnine
Roller_Coaster
pedro
kwinigolfer
25 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Valero Texas Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: Valero Texas Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 02 Apr 2013, 9:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Next year's "Shell Houston Open" will revert to its traditional date the week before The Masters, but it won't be much more exciting than the tournament we enjoyed last weekend. Lots of appetising ingredients with Phil, Rory, Louis and Lee but in the end we could only admire an out-of-the-blue return to Victory Lane by Darren Andrew Points who scored his first Top 60 result of the season, his first Top 15 result since losing, along with Rory McIlroy, in the Quail Hollow play-off last May to Rickie Fowler.

2).Joint runner up was Billy Horschel, extending his string of consecutive cuts made to a Tour-leading 20, one ahead of Poulter.
Horschel's a cocky sod and temperamental as well, when things start going haywire, they don't stop. But this result wraps up his card for the year and I'd expect him to free-wheel to some more good results. In fact, I'd have him in any short-list of non-winners most likely to break through, along with 7th place Kevin Chappell and Cameron Tringale, who slipped away to 16th. There are plenty of hot-shots coming through but these three will win.

3).Also joint runner-up was the always enigmatic Henrik Stenson who booked his ticket to Augusta with four birdies in his final five holes. And: Catch a load of his seasonal stat's:
Driving Accuracy: 1st
Total Driving: 1st
Greens in Regulation: 1st
Ball Striking: 1st
Scrambling: 1st.
And we know he can hit it as far as he wants to, so his 57th place in Driving Distance (290.5 yds) presumably hides a few 3-woods or less off the tee.
An in-form Stenson can beat anyone, yes, anyone, and he's surely earned a spot on short-lists for The Masters.

4).Highest finisher from Team GB&I? Brian Davis of course! He'd disappeared since a T4 in Hartford last year, so that adds up to 20 tournaments played with one Top 25 (15th in Canada) and 14 missed cuts. But Davis is a creature of habit and here are two ways of showing it:
Seasonal:
Money winnings Jan/Feb: 9%
March - June: 62%
July - December: 29%

And geographically:
There are only four events in Texas every year, yet 27% of his career earnings have been split between Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth and San Antonio. 14% in Florida is his next best haul by State. 'Course, he also likes Pete Dye courses but that's for another Note.

5).The golf world was following princedracula this weekend, anxious for him to reveal all the permutations involved in determining owgr Top 50 positions and a ticket to Augusta. In the event Freddie Jacobson, Richard Sterne and Henrik Stenson secured their invitations via the Top 50 while Points joins them as a Tour winner. Lots of disappointment for near misses especially Marcel Siem who was bumped out by Henley, already in the field. All European Golf fans would be thrilled to see Marcel win in San Antonio this week to take his place after all.
Europeans playing The Masters for the first time are:
Alan Dunbar (Amateur Champion)
Colsaerts, Donaldson, Lynn and Olesen.

6).Is the criteria for Masters qualification fair? And, is it worthy of being a Major??
One thing you can say for certain is that all the golfers in the world knew the various qualifying routes from the word go and that Billy Payne would devalue all those criteria by inviting Ryo Ishikawa even after he has relentlessly manifested the fact he is unworthy of a free pass.
Personally, I'd say that inviting back most Past Champions and last year's Top 16, and offering entry to certain Amateur Champions is just fine.

7).For those who suggest the PGA Tour is unfairly favouritised I'd counter by saying that many golfers from other nations compiled owgr points in "subsidised" events.
But one criteria is just bloody daft: Leaders in all the Majors:
Masters: Top 16 (I think Kevin Na is the only one to qualify solely under this rule, and he might not be fit to play).
US Open: Top 8
Open Championship: Top 4
PGA Championship: Top 4
What makes The Open Championship (or the PGA Championship for that matter) inferior to the US Open which, by comparison, has such a weak field?

8).So: If we agree the Top 8 exemption should be applied at least as much to The Open and PGA we can offer commiserations to:
The Open: Thomas Aiken (T7)
PGA Championship: Blake Adams (who is injured, out at least until the autumn).

See, Billy, that wouldn't have hurt, would it now? Couldn't you bring yourself to be seen to be a bit more fair?

9).The American media is having great fun at the American winning streak on Tour, as if it's somehow symptomatic of US dominance. Probably more symptomatic of the decline of just a few International Golfers who have not yet been replaced and the fact that, typically, the Europeans seldom win on the "West Coast" or "Florida" swings.
In approx 185 such tournaments since Jan 2000, the breakdown has been:
USA winners: 127: (Incl 11 WGC's, 5 won by Woods).
International: 43 (4 WGC's): 7 for Els, 6 for Ogilvy, 5 for Singh, 3 each for Appleby and Weir.
Europe: 15 (5 WGC's): 3 for Donald, 2 for Parnevik, no-one else more than 1 each.
Just saying.

10)."The Valero Texas Open" has one of the most generous sponsors and generates among the largest charitable donations of the PGA Tour. But it's been on Finchem's back burner especially after leaving Tillinghast's revered Oak Hills Country Club (home of the fore-runner to the Tour Championship which was won by T.Watson).
Since leaving Oak Hills (now a Champions Tour stop), the quality of the fields has gone down with the quality of the Golf Courses, the last stop before TPC San Antonio being a dump that was overlooked by a roller-coaster.
Apparently Greg Norman's lay-out has had some rough edges smoothed out, some greens made less severe, and some chipping areas moderated so there's some hope that this represents window-shopping for Tour pros who wouldn't otherwise bother to play here.
Whatever happens it will have a later date next year, probably the last week in April.
Who will win? No idea, but the aforesaid trio of Chappell, Horschel and Tringale must have a shout. Freddie Jac has played well here, it's a home date for Jimmy Walker and Brendan Steele followed up his 2011 win with a T4 last year.
And fingers crossed for Marcel Siem.

Last edited by Nay Bother on Tue 09 Apr 2013, 7:33 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Edit: Got my "Open" comparisons the wrong way round . . . .)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Valero Texas Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Valero Texas Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:24 pm

Swedish readers may be pleased to know that Richard S.Johnson (he of the always amusing Twitter account) has taken an early one-shot lead in the Brazil web.commer . . . . .

Perhaps Messrs Lingmerth (77) and Groanberg (82) in San Antonio might have been better off joining Richard . . . . ? Mean? Just a little bit.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Valero Texas Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Valero Texas Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by beninho Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:45 pm

a green should not have a big chuff off bunker in the middle. it's a gimmick and I am not keen.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:38 pm

Nice round Padraig "Slow as Hair Grow"-ington.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:08 pm

Aah, the mail's arrived.
Sports Illustrated and SI GOLF+
Pleased to see them and Nike must be thrilled. Guess who's on the cover of each . . . . . . ?

SI GOLF+ is great, says he, cover story included - in the spirit of super_realist's recent epiphany.

Surprise at the top of the leaderboard seeing Matt Bettencourt sitting at the head of affairs. A very streaky player but possibly the fastest golfer on Tour and his wife is a leading force in "Tour Wives" and their charitable initiatives, so Bettencourt gets lots of slack here!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:01 am

The Pros and Cons of . . . . . . Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you remember Dick Tracy
Do you remember Shane?

Lowry of course, and a 6 ft putt eagle on San Antonio's 2nd brings him up to 5th place, seven holes to play.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:55 am

Poults and davies doing ok.. Very Happy

Rors seems to have had an up and down day. he just seems so inconsistant at the mo

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:22 pm

It's going to be a bit parky for the early starters this morning in San Antonio - David Lynn, Poults etc.. Sure there'll be obligatory moaning if it's 40F when the first drives are launched.

Temps warming later in the day to the mid-70's for Rory and St.Padraig.

Might be a bit of a breeze but nothing too inconvenient.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 05 Apr 2013, 2:11 pm

The non-American interest for me in this tournament is all about Ireland. Can Rory get some momentum going into Augusta? Will Paddy stay at or near the top heading into Saturday? Looking at the scores, this is was no easy track yesterday.

Spring finally sprung here in Philadelphia ... opening event this weekend.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 05 Apr 2013, 2:37 pm

"Live scoring is currently unavailable at this time." says the pgatour.com website. Hopefully will be "currently available later"...

40F is no problem for Shane, plenty of layers at his disposal, hope he has another good round today...
Bettencourt up to -6 already...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Apr 2013, 2:46 pm

pd,
I noticed that - don't think pgatour.com would pass the "Just A Minute" test. (Not the only ones mind.)

Reckon the cut will be at least up to +2 , possibly even higher as one senses this is the sort of course where course management goes haywire in a hurry.

Hadn't previously noticed that Goosen had a decent round yesterday and he's off to a promising start this a.m. also.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Apr 2013, 4:22 pm

David Lynn up to 6th place, doing much better on the PGA Tour than I expected he would.
Lots about Harris English shooting a course record (30) on the back nine yesterday - what a difference a day makes as he took a NINE on the 12th hole today.
Five hour rounds in prospect again today - now we know why this course is such good practice for The Masters. Absolutely pathetic from the PGA Tour, no will to deal with slow play whatsoever.
The geniuses at the USGA have announced a project to review pace of play - the fact that it's going to take them a year to address the (to quote gaelgowler) bleedin' obvious tells you all you need to know about the anchors at the USGA.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 05 Apr 2013, 4:25 pm

Argg i have been following harris for a bit. I think he will be a top yank soon enough!!

He looks to have it all! Just maybe stuck in a Rose rut. Needs to get more used to the tour!

good to see lynn doing well. Good european tour player, got to see him move up

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by boyhyde Fri 05 Apr 2013, 4:57 pm

Kwini - my take on David Lynn is that he will probably do well on courses where lots of birdies isn't the required currency - clearly played well at Kiawah and think I heard last night that this course was the toughest (or close to) outside of the majors last year.

Might be off beam but wouldn't think he would contend in events where 20ish under par might be needed to win.

Not sure what other courses might fit my theory for him to do well but hoping you might be able to help there...

boyhyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:23 pm

Hi misterhyde,

That's pretty much what Sheldo said yesterday and sympathetic to how some of us were critiqueing schedules, especially for Lynn and Fisher, earlier in the year.

There are some courses coming up that might suit the Europeans, Hilton Head (so long as guys can resist temptation to use driver on every hole), Quail Hollow, Memphis, and I'd say that Muirfield Village is a very fair course which will suit all types of golfer. Perhaps Congressional will suit also.

I see Donaldson came a mega-cropper on #8 after getting off to a three under start.

Overall, scores look better today, so perhaps conditions are better or pin-placements easier. As for pace of play, the Bettencourt, Lynn, Wi threesome appears to be two holes ahead of anyone else on course - I said yesterday that Bettencourt is a racehorse out there . . . . . makes perfect sense for him to open the batting.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:49 pm

Talking of horses for tough courses (or USOpen 'types'), you can add the Goose to the list. It's been a while since I've seen him at the top of the leaderboard...

Go Shane!!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:52 pm

Looks like Ian will see the weekend, but not the winner's circle.

Ireland carrying Europe's load thus far. Just wait until Rory starts his assault.

And does Charlie Hoffman own a mirror? If so, wonder if he uses it?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:04 pm

I sense you're giving up on Brian Davis then . . . . .

Fortunately England has a two-shot lead at the Nabisco.

Sr,
My lad was at the Stadium last night for the MLB record 69th Pettitte/Mariano win - Enter Sandman (and don't go away!)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:09 pm

Absolutely NO BETTER music intro than that. I envy your son.

When you see SO many pitchers lose it (Lidge for Philly, Lincicum, Zito,) you can't help but be continually marveled at his output.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:34 pm

Padraig rockin a pair of glasses now i see.

How about Luke List's shot from the woods?? Stiff, to set up a birdie to make the cut. Incredible!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:17 pm

A pair of glasses and a trio of bogeys.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:52 pm

But a closing birdie for Padraig covers a multitude of bogeysins. Not bad in the end, but nowhere near as good as Rory whose three closing birdies see him sleep (let's hope) in fifth place. Martin Laird still on the fringe of contention and Russell Knox will hopefully make the cut.
Brian Davis would be right there but - oh, those double bogeys.

Looks like some "MDF''s tomorrow as scores kept improving.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Sat 06 Apr 2013, 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:59 pm

As I said ... Europe's hope rest with Ireland.

Rory!!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 06 Apr 2013, 1:29 am

The headlines may be all about Rory, but some good (and disappointing) stories on the undercard:
Marcel Siem rebounds from his Round 1 76 to a Round 2 67 (tied for round of the day) and his last gasp bid for a Masters invite has oxygen.
And Russell Knox rebounds from a 15th hole double to birdie the 17th and make the cut on the number, along with Norlander.
No Fish for the weekend and one hopes he'll take a few weeks off, perhaps just with his putter for company.
And disappointment for Robbie Karlsson who narrowly missed joining countryman Norlander as his birdie attempt on 18 slid by.

More than 80 golfers for Round 3 so there'll be another cut Saturday evening with the top 70 and ties playing Sunday, the rest going home with a five-figure cheque and a fraction of a FedEx point.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 06 Apr 2013, 9:05 am

I know kwini and super have major issues with Tiger because of his interaction with the golfing types. But watching this you wonder if he his given up hope, having realised nothing will change, and decided to give two fingers to the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Pw9iaKKrem0
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 06 Apr 2013, 9:10 am

Super has changed mate.. Not one bad word said about him. And he is allowed !!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldo25 Sat 06 Apr 2013, 9:26 am

All my talk about this being a good track for Europeans because it doesn't require a birdie blitz and which one is highest on the leaderboard? The one who is capable of a full on birdie fest!

Sheldo25

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 06 Apr 2013, 10:10 am

This Billy fella is doing a bit well atm!

Rors is just class though Sheld... he can do it all(when in form)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 06 Apr 2013, 12:17 pm

mysti, Sheldo,
I really think that's true . . . . . but as mysti says, "when in form".

No action until 3.00 p.m.-ish BST today, and then they'll be off in threesomes, off both nines. Hanson, Harrington and Laird playing together, guaranteed logjam behind them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldo25 Sat 06 Apr 2013, 1:41 pm

McIlroy, unlike almost any other top player, seems to suddenly come into form from nowhere. Can't rule him out next week, however he plays the weekend here.

Sheldo25

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 06 Apr 2013, 2:08 pm

Best thing about McIlroy (and Mickelson and Woods) is that he's not afraid to win.
Think they're the only three I'd place in that category right now . . . . most of the rest get vertigo, especially if competing against one of those three.

A fine day weather-wise in prospect, warm but a touch breezy, warmer still (mid 80"s) Sunday. Could be tricky conditions if the greens really dry out.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 06 Apr 2013, 4:16 pm

Remember, too, Rory's got unfinished business at Augusta. He and Woods favorites (IMO) heading into next week. I still put his performance at Congressional as one of the most impressive feats I've ever witnessed in the professional game.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 06 Apr 2013, 5:02 pm

More double bogeys and worse than birdies in the early going in San Antonio but most of the Europeans seem to have escaped the big numbers so far.
Oops, Shane Lowry just got an ugly Six.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 06 Apr 2013, 5:09 pm

Oscar time!!

get in. Got him each way!- nice payout

True kwini - those are the only real winners currently.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheldo25 Sat 06 Apr 2013, 5:55 pm

My dream final two pairings for Masters Sunday would be Westwood and Donald last, with Rose and Poulter just before them.......

If I can't have that, then I think very exciting viewing would involve any two of Rory, Woods or Phil.

Sheldo25

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 06 Apr 2013, 6:09 pm

Unfortunately we haven't seen an English win over here for thirteen months, Ryder Cup success apart.

Meanwhile, Marcel has struck a rich Siem of form, and Shane has bounced back nicely, bouncing being an operative word in that case of course.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 06 Apr 2013, 6:24 pm

Playing five hour rounds again today, Thanks Timmy.
Team GB&I have 6 in the Top 30, Poults and Russell Knox on the (secondary) cut line, and three (Donaldson, Fish and Christian) outathere.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 06 Apr 2013, 6:27 pm

Very impressed with Siem's performance yesterday and today... Anyone knows if he had any experience as an amateur playing in US?

C'mon Rors!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 06 Apr 2013, 6:46 pm

Sheldo25 wrote:My dream final two pairings for Masters Sunday would be Westwood and Donald last, with Rose and Poulter just before them.......

If I can't have that, then I think very exciting viewing would involve any two of Rory, Woods or Phil.

i like this poster Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 06 Apr 2013, 7:14 pm

Beware the Yank "no names" for this tournament. Amazing if the American streak goes all the way to Augusta.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 06 Apr 2013, 7:34 pm

Poulter looks like he will be headed to Augusta tonight.

His cut streak still intact though!

Play is really slow. Rory's group is taking 2 hrs 50 min to play first nine holes.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 06 Apr 2013, 7:47 pm

GPB,
Just the way the Tour and USGA likes it - they could do something about it if they wanted to . . . . .

One person who's not hanging about is Marcel Siem . . . . How ironic it would be if #51 was this week's winner!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 06 Apr 2013, 7:52 pm

robo will be pleased to see West Texas (sort of) boys Estes and Palmer invading the top ten - just Estes' pace I should think.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:03 pm

Timely ace for Johnson in Brazil...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:39 pm

Ned,
When Richard S won for the only time on the PGA Tour he had a hole-in-one during his final round.

Happy omen?

Meanwhile, Horschel will win going away if he keeps making twenty-footers, just like another of Sr's "American no-names".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:41 pm

Good finish for Shane and a Par-4 eagle for Poults might wake him up.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:43 pm

Indeed, but he's going to have to keep that intensity in check, Kwin.

Euro charge (as predicted) led by the the lads from Ireland.

Even par won't get it done for Rory.

Go Orange.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:47 pm

Ireland followed by Northern Ireland and Scotland, England struggling and Wales gone home.

Go Orange is right, would be a wonderful thing if they can win it all and then Jimmy B can ride off into the sunset - or the first tee at The Cavalry Club . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 06 Apr 2013, 9:10 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Ned,
When Richard S won for the only time on the PGA Tour he had a hole-in-one during his final round.

Happy omen?

Meanwhile, Horschel will win going away if he keeps making twenty-footers, just like another of Sr's "American no-names".
Strange sort of round for Johnson, four par 3s played so far and he's recorded a 1, a 2, a 3 and a 4 on them. One more still to come, hopefully he won't keep the run going with a double...

Good bit of damage limitation from Davis after he imploded mid-round, but Poulter still dropping like a stone, and Hanson too. Thoughts already turned to next week, maybe.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 06 Apr 2013, 9:48 pm

Wow, Over-a-tonne surely lost a load of pounds lately... wind almost blowing him away on the greens.

Billy the kid almost running (and jumping) away with this at the moment...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 06 Apr 2013, 11:35 pm

Off in threesomes for Round 4, and off 1st and 10th tees, kicking off at 9.35 local.

Not sure why that is, but Rory with Texans Palmer and RoboPro (hope that robopz is not a pseudonym for Bob Estes - or maybe I do, I've been to Graham, TX, and not people can say that), and Harrington and Laird play together for the second time, this time with the slimline Boom Baby.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next