The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Season is here!!!

+3
guildfordbat
Fists of Fury
MuchHappierSurreyFan
7 posters

Go down

The New Season is here!!! Empty The New Season is here!!!

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:22 am

As fate would have it I have finally got my internet up and running even though my house move was two months ago, on the plus side fate has played its hand and made sure I have got it just in time for the new season. Now I dont know about everyone else but one week from the start of the cricket season and yesterday evening there ws still a bit of snow in the air down here on the South Downs.
WHats everybodys predictions for the fothrcoming season? How is your team going to do? who do you fancy to do well?
Like every year I havent a clue with Surrey they are just as likely to get relegated as they are to challange for the title, personally I would like a solid County Championship season and a good go at one of the one day tournaments. It would be nice to get out of the T20 group stage for a change.
Going to keep my eye of young Rory Burns this season have high hopes for him.
Hope you are all well and cant wait to get started???

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

The New Season is here!!! Empty Re: The New Season is here!!!

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:34 am

Snowing again at the moment as I look out of the window what are the chances of the opening weekend of the cricket season being snowed off??

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:07 am

It'll be fine, have faith!

C'mon you Bears!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 04 Apr 2013, 2:35 pm

Welcome back (again!), MuchHappier.

Snow has stopped play in Surrey's friendly against Hants at the [insert name of latest sponsor] Bowl. Surrey going well on 99-0. Roy on 58 and your boy Burns on 39.

As for this season, I think Warks look very strong. As usual, Surrey's batting could go either way!
PS MuchHappier - believe I sent you a PM yonks back.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 04 Apr 2013, 2:55 pm

This is the part of the season I dread for Glamorgan. Last year for many batsmen scoring was incredibly hard but Glammy boys seem to make it harder for themselves haha.

We've lost Harris which is a big blow no doubt but he was always going to move on. We do have Simon Jones available for the county season although just how many 4 day games he'll play remains to be seen.Be interesting to see how new signing Hogan get's on. Looks a good signing with an avg of 27.66.

Keep on eye on Glover also. Was impressed with him last season and will be a real handful in seaming conditions. Very much a wicket to wicket bowler.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:55 pm

Warwickshire look very strong once again, hard to look past them for the Championship. I would expect Yorkshire and Notts to give them a good run for their money though and Somerset will likely challenge on all fronts again. As for Surrey, I'd settle for mid table but we really should be aiming to be nearer the top than the bottom.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:31 pm

Guildford Your quite right you did send it Yonks ago though I only read it today, I will do a quick check on the old work roster when back in next week and reply promply lol

How has the pre season games been going havent had much time to follow them???

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 8:33 pm

Carrot if you expect Warwickshire, Notts, Yorks and Somerset to finish above we could well be in a relegation scrap!!!

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:17 pm

haha yes I realise this, I think we should be challenging those teams but I predict we'll finish 5th

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:48 pm

Good to see "Much happier" has not yet downgraded his name!

Just to mention that Shelsey was also running a predictions thread for the coming season. I'm not greedy. If Surrey finish mid table that will be something. That's what comes of also supporting West Ham - anything better than relegation seems like a bonus.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:25 am

Corporal, Hope the troops are up to spped and ready for a long hard summer slog!!
In term of predictions I find it hard in the cricket, with only nine teams in the division you dont really get a mid table finish your either involved in battle at the top or a battle at the bottom.

What are your thoughts on Surrey this season?? I havent watched any pre season so dont even have a clue who will start, Im guessing only one of Keedy and Batty will play?? Is young Burns going to get a go or any other youngster, maybe your young charge in Dunn?? Tremlett called up by England I was hoping we might see alot of him??? far to many questions which will all be answered soon.

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:15 pm

Hi Much Happier....the barracks are in good order, thanks.

Just to mention that there's some good and current discussion of likely Surrey line ups with Guildford and Carrot on the Surrey thread. I would assume that early season it's unlikely that both Keedy and Batty would play. It seems a safe bet that Burns will start off with an opening slot, given his welcome success there last year, as well as in pre season. Likewise I think we will looking to play Harinath fairly high up the order. Roy/Wilson may be alternates. Question marks as to how much fuel the Brain and Solanki have left in the tank.

I can't see Tremlett actually making a test team unless and until his fitness is proven and he's taken a hatful of wickets - both seem a way off at the moment. Dunn I suspect is a fair way down the pecking order, but it would be good to see him get a game or two (eg at the expense of Lewis). Seems a general view that Dernbach really needs to the bowling equivalent of getting his head down and try and achieve more accuracy and consistency and less histrionics....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 06 Apr 2013, 11:50 am

University matches in progress, pretty much a procession everywhere for the counties although Sussex are 27/3 against Loughborough on day 2 after day 1 was abandoned. Hyphen batting at number 5 I notice.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 06 Apr 2013, 12:18 pm

Hyphen has just hit 16 off four balls, so clearly he's looking to make an impression.

But then out for a brisk 34....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 07 Apr 2013, 10:28 pm

I'm devastated.

Got a job down the chippy, working Wednesday-Friday nights, and my cricket coach emails to say that training, which has been on a Monday for the past 4 years, is moved to a Thursday.

Sad
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 07 Apr 2013, 11:39 pm

Olly - when you're as old as me, you'll realise you can use most situations to your advantage.

Free fish and chips for the skipper every Friday night and you'll be opening the batting and bowling! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 07 Apr 2013, 11:43 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Olly - when you're as old as me, you'll realise you can use most situations to your advantage.

Free fish and chips for the skipper every Friday night and you'll be opening the batting and bowling! Very Happy

Our skipper don't need anymore fatty foods, he won't make it out the changing room door if he does Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:56 pm

Olly wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Olly - when you're as old as me, you'll realise you can use most situations to your advantage.

Our skipper don't need anymore fatty foods, he won't make it out the changing room door if he does Laugh

Olly - don't let that put you off. As us Surrey supporters on the cricketing board know there's a vital role for senior players that can't or don't actually perform on the pitch. The manager refers deferentially to them as "immense in the dressing room". We've signed a few of them over the years, at considerable expense I fear. Of course, in your case if you ply the captain with fish and chips the description would be literally true! Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 08 Apr 2013, 9:43 pm

I somehow missed an email sent 2 weeks ago to say that pre season nets started last Tuesday. I shall now be going along tomorrow but am completely unprepared Whistle

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down