The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Macklin v Golovkin

+13
AlexHuckerby
88Chris05
Seanusarrilius
KingMonkey
eddyfightfan
sweet_pea
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Imperial Ghosty
TRUSSMAN66
davidemore
milkyboy
azania
RanjitPatel
17 posters

Go down

Macklin v Golovkin Empty Macklin v Golovkin

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 04 Apr 2013, 5:34 pm

Sky are reporting that the fight is due to take place June 29th, subject to contracts being sorted.

How does everyone see this going?
Huge fight for Macklin and I think he'll give Golovkin his toughest test for as long as it lasts but see GGG stopping him at some point.
Good fight though. Shame in a way that Macklin didn't go after Chavez as I feel he's have more chance than Barker.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Macklin v Golovkin Empty Re: Macklin v Golovkin

Post by azania Thu 04 Apr 2013, 5:36 pm

A one sided battering.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 04 Apr 2013, 5:45 pm

Oh I don't know az, nothing to suggest that golovkin will fold that easily

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Apr 2013, 5:50 pm

Ha.

Maklin will march forward as he always does. GGG will stop him in his tracks in the first 3 rounds. Probably a 1 round KO seeing as Maklin only fights coming forward and is not that easy to find.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 04 Apr 2013, 5:57 pm

Mack the knife slits his own wrists if he takes this one.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:01 pm

Has a high opinion of himself Macklin doesn't he..Thinks he's a cut above Barker and the other guy who's fighting Martinez............

Macklin got a bit of a hiding against Martinez..Think his best days will be behind him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:06 pm

Thinking about it I'd probably give Barker a better chance against Golovkin and Macklin against Chavez. Style wise I think they've both gone for the wrong match ups.
Not saying either would win either way just that it may be closer.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:11 pm

Macklin has gone for a world title while Barker has gone for getting a shot at a world title, I know which option I would take.

Not sold on Golovkin at all so expect Macklin to push him all the way.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:19 pm

Macklin showed he can brawl agaisnt Sturm and box against Sergio

You'd imagine that he'd try to box GGG as Golovkin has the power advantage and is less shop worn.

Can't see how people think it's going to end quick, Martinez took 11 rounds to break him and Martinez hits very hard. If Macklin engages him recklessly he may be stopped but won't be too early

I think he's the best of the British lot and "beat" Sturm as comfortably as Geale and the version he fought was slightly better than the one who Geale beat and I know that some people believe that Geale can beat Golovkin

There was a recent interview from Martinez manager and they said that if GGG continues getting this exposure than they may fight him (or Geale) in the future which would be a great fight for everyone

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:24 pm

I think that Chavez without a title is a bigger fight than Geale with one. The logic may not be quite there but hopefully you know what I mean.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:25 pm

Imperial, what you not sold on? His brilliant amateur pedigree or the fact he's can KO almost anyone? He KO'd Bute in the amateurs. I'm sold. Ishida probably is too.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:35 pm

I think Macklin is at the stage of his career where he's desperate to win a world title so anyone who holds a title is the bigger fight for him.

The moment he beats somebody half decent i'll start to believe the hype, Macklin is a huge step up for him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:37 pm

Whether or not GGG is the real deal is irrelevant to me in this fight. Maklin is made for him with his come forward hit me style.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Thu 04 Apr 2013, 6:54 pm

dont blink cos when GGG lands a big one, it'l be over.
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 04 Apr 2013, 7:00 pm

Macklin took solid shots from Martinez early though and didn't fold, it took constant shots for him to finally fall. Macklin is good enough to make it tactical and has speed advantages over Golovkin

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 7:07 pm

its a shame we have a very good crop of middleweights, who unfortunately will be lucky to win a world title between them (although sturms title should definitely have come to the uk one way or another). the competition is tough at MW and with chavez/martinez/geale/golovkin/qullin in the mix it would take a career best performance.

i am glad that they have tried, as we had a generation of eubank/benn etc who largely avoided the best out there. but i do hope that we get the big british fights between them as well.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 04 Apr 2013, 7:15 pm

Yeah it's commendable that Barker,Murray and Macklin are going for the toughest fights out there.
If they can even make it to a decision then they'll have done well though .

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 7:23 pm

they all exceeded my expectation against martinez, hopefully murray can go one better. in argentina though i sincerly doubt it.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 7:23 pm

Anybody give Murray a sniff??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 04 Apr 2013, 7:41 pm

I do, think he's the weakest of the English trio but with the success the 2 Brits had and the damage/injuries he took in the 12th against Chavez at his age I think the timing may be right

Murray isn't anything special but is big at the weight, physically tough, great stamina, high workrate, solid chin and hasn't tken any punishment throughout his career so is fresh

The Martinez who beat Chavez beats him but he wanted the Chavez fight more than anything so was in great shape which will be hard to do agaisnt someone who isn't a big name

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 04 Apr 2013, 7:44 pm

this is a homecoming for sergio however and i expect him to be ready, the draw against sturm will be enough for martinez to see he is against a decent fighter, and he knows the brits turn up to fight. if murray wins it will be a bigger upset than barker or other murray would have been

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:09 pm

Macklin surprised me with his style vs Martinez, he was nowhere near the come forward fighter of the past. He had better skills than I thought.

That said, he's up against it here for sure.

Maybe, once he loses this, Barker loses against Chavez Jnr and Murray loses against Martinez they can all finally get it on in some domestic fights.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Macklin v Golovkin Empty Macklin v Golovkin

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 05 Apr 2013, 2:32 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/8617234/Matthew-Macklin-is-set-to-challenge-WBA-middleweight-champion-Gennady-Golovkin

Seems this is going to happen. I imagine Macklin will be getting a nice payday for this and so he should.

I really like Macklin as a man and a fighter. He takes this business very seriously and maximises his talent.

That said, I have felt for a long time that GGG is a beast to be reckoned with at Middle and can only see a KO in this one.

How do you guys see it going?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 2:34 pm

Sean there is a thread on this already however........

Macklin for me took a bashing off Martinez and for me it was the sort to take it's toll.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 05 Apr 2013, 2:38 pm

oops - I will merge. Cheers

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Apr 2013, 2:49 pm

Macklin's tank started to run low against Sturm and when he didn't have the energy to stick his head on Sturm's chest and crowd him out of the fight, Sturm was able to step back and tag him heavily. Strum doesn't strike me as the biggest hitter in the division yet Macklin was out on his feet at the end of the fight.

Macklin will strat brightly but I have a feeling he'll start to lose his way in the middle rounds and then try to force the pace in the last third which will be his undoing.

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 05 Apr 2013, 2:56 pm

See this fight going similar to Chavez Jr-Barker should it happen, the Brits trying to box the stronger punchers like they both do to Martinez but they will get drawn into a tear up and eventually get worn down and stopped

They're both good enough to cause GGG and Jr problems but power and durability will he the deciding factor in the end

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 2:58 pm

I'm pretty much in line with Dave here. I like Macklin a lot, he usually gives good value for money and is a clued up fella, but I suspect he might just be a bit too brave for his own good here. Everything Macklin can do, Golovkin can do better, for me.

I think Macklin will actually look to box at first, because Golovkin's such a concussive hitter at mid-range, but I can see the Kazakh being a bit too relentless and cute when it comes to cornering him. Macklin can brawl as well, for sure, but that's still Golovkin's kind of fight.

I think it'll be pretty even early on, Golovkin maybe just edging it, but as the fight wears on I think he'll take over and stop Macklin after putting him over once before.

I'd love to see Macklin get his hands on a world title, but I think Geale or Quillin would have been better for him in that respect!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 05 Apr 2013, 4:00 pm

Think this is the first time Golovkins gone up against a real contender, however I just think Macklin will end up gassing late as he usually does.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:46 pm

Dear god no, Macklin will get pasted if this goes ahead. I like him but come on let's be realistic he lets his heart rule his head way too much (he should have been mentioned on the recent emotional fighters thread actually)

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:57 pm

So far all Golovkin has done is beat up no hopers at 160lbs or brought up 154lbers who aren't that good and looked very strong in doing so, but has already shown massive flaws defensively that top quality opposition will begin to show up more and more.

No doubt he looks very strong and hits very hard and will be a tough night for anyone, but until he fights a genuine 160lber who is a contender say, top 10 in the division and is able to come through him well then I will start to believe that he may just be the next big thing.

Personally I'm just skeptical about any boxer that literally only ever moves his head when he is punched in it. Think he will get through Macklin due to Macklins style being rather well suited to Golovkin. Comes forward, though he does so with educated pressure, usually gasses during the middle rounds, has been stopped by lesser punchers and is not particularly great defensively.

Though if Macklin finds his chin as easily as Rosado did at times I think we could have a few answers as to how well he takes a whack due to Macklin having a decent enough punch, though not quite that great.

I think this is a good match and Macklin has proven to be a tough task for everyone, but will still not be quite the true believer in Golovkin after.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:32 pm

Alex, at least acknowledge the reason he hasn't fought a champion is because he's been sidestepped numerous times. This subject has been gone through several times. Also, I believe Proksa was a top ten middleweight and Euro champ. Gabriel Rosado is a very good and well rounded boxer who Golovkin was willing to fight at 157, but Rosado didn't like it being a catchweight and had it at 160 instead. Although I haven't seen Ishida v Pirog, I know Ishida went the full 12 and Pirog's a puncher. Golovkin iced him in 2 and a half rounds.

Having said all that, I hope Macklin can take him late at least, as I want to see if he still carries his power late having averaged 3.8 rounds per fight since from Simon onwards if my maths is correct.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:17 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:So far all Golovkin has done is beat up no hopers at 160lbs or brought up 154lbers who aren't that good and looked very strong in doing so, but has already shown massive flaws defensively that top quality opposition will begin to show up more and more.

No doubt he looks very strong and hits very hard and will be a tough night for anyone, but until he fights a genuine 160lber who is a contender say, top 10 in the division and is able to come through him well then I will start to believe that he may just be the next big thing.

Personally I'm just skeptical about any boxer that literally only ever moves his head when he is punched in it. Think he will get through Macklin due to Macklins style being rather well suited to Golovkin. Comes forward, though he does so with educated pressure, usually gasses during the middle rounds, has been stopped by lesser punchers and is not particularly great defensively.

Though if Macklin finds his chin as easily as Rosado did at times I think we could have a few answers as to how well he takes a whack due to Macklin having a decent enough punch, though not quite that great.

I think this is a good match and Macklin has proven to be a tough task for everyone, but will still not be quite the true believer in Golovkin after.

Very true. But let's be honest here. Macklin isn't very good at being evasive. He is easy to hit and against a power puncher his style is suicidal. Add to it that MM is not a big hitter it spells big trouble. GGG will level him in double quick time. MM will attack and fall.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sat 06 Apr 2013, 11:06 am

I'd be on the page that Macklin asks him a lot of questions but ultimately gets stopped in rounds 7 or 8. Still another good fight though.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 06 Apr 2013, 3:57 pm

GGG to win by massive KO inside 6 rounds.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down