The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why can't anyone in America market boxing?

+8
seanmichaels
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
TopHat24/7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
eddyfightfan
sweet_pea
Seanusarrilius
12 posters

Go down

Why can't anyone in America market boxing? Empty Why can't anyone in America market boxing?

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:08 pm

UK
Froch v Kessler - 20,000 in a day
Haye sells big
Price sells
Brook
Germany make huge gates out of the K bros, AA, Huck and even Stieglitz is a star
Australia - whilst I consider them a joke boxing nation they can sell there
Even here in Canada, a country with 1/10th the population of America, sells 15000+ tickets for Bute and Pascal fights
Mexico go nuts for it.

The states though, with their rich boxing history and huge population, can't market anyone who isn't Floyd, Alvarez (which is due to fanatical Mexican support) or Pac.

Rios v Avarado was full, because half the tickets were given away. If you can't sell that rematch with HBO backing then who can you sell?
Broner is suppossed to be the next big thing and he sells next to nothing.

Why can't they market boxing? I wouldn't care except so much boxing is done in America.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Why can't anyone in America market boxing? Empty Re: Why can't anyone in America market boxing?

Post by Guest Sun 07 Apr 2013, 7:18 pm

I think they can but its a mixture of deciding not to to really hype up/market the biggest and a conflict of interests with regards to other big sports & sporting events and the broadcasting of said events. Probably boxing isn't as mainstream in America as it once was.

Back to top Go down

Why can't anyone in America market boxing? Empty Re: Why can't anyone in America market boxing?

Post by sweet_pea Sun 07 Apr 2013, 9:55 pm

im not too sure but basketball, american football and baseball are the biggest sports in the US, whereas over in Europe its mainly football/soccer, rugby and boxing.
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 07 Apr 2013, 11:35 pm

even well established promoters are having problems, don king's last world level fighter has just been beaten by hoppo.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:09 am

Because Americans are too busy living in la la land in their own heads, worrying about the Iranians with their big bad bombs going to blow them up or secret Arab Spies with poision dart pens.....or so Fox News would have them believe.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:21 am

sweet_pea wrote:im not too sure but basketball, american football and baseball are the biggest sports in the US, whereas over in Europe its mainly football/soccer, rugby and boxing.

I'd put boxing further down the list actually, though it's been picking up in the last 6-8 yrs with the likes of Hatton, Khan's Olympic and now pro exploits etc plus the 2008 and 2012 Olympic teams.

1. Football
2a. Rugby Union
2b. Rugby League
3. Cricket
4. Tennis
5. Golf
6. Boxing

Boxing is definitely closing the gap, but cycling has had a serious resurgence in the last few years also and is snapping at its heals.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:46 am

Boxing is a hard one to judge.............Depends on the size of the fight......

All those sports are weekly events..............Pretty much an average attendance.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 12:14 pm

Id say boxing is well ahead of Cricket and Tennis.

How many people tune in to watch the US Open or Masters?

How many people watch the local county games on Sky?

How many fans watch Khan/Brook/Fury/Price/Froch? I bet these said fighters sell more tickets in a year and get more buys/views then Cricket or Tennis over the year.

The UK only cover Tennis on a major scale in the summer with it being Wimbledon!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:22 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
sweet_pea wrote:im not too sure but basketball, american football and baseball are the biggest sports in the US, whereas over in Europe its mainly football/soccer, rugby and boxing.

I'd put boxing further down the list actually, though it's been picking up in the last 6-8 yrs with the likes of Hatton, Khan's Olympic and now pro exploits etc plus the 2008 and 2012 Olympic teams.

1. Football
2a. Rugby Union
2b. Rugby League
3. Cricket
4. Tennis
5. Golf
6. Boxing

Boxing is definitely closing the gap, but cycling has had a serious resurgence in the last few years also and is snapping at its heals.

I'd have darts and Motorsports above boxing as well.

Cricket probably on a par with Rugby Union above league.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:24 pm

MMA has overtaken boxing in America as the most popular contact sport.
I've got a few relatives who live in the States and when I visited them last year, none of them had any real interest in boxing but orgainzed a night in with a large group of friends to watch a UFC event.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by ChelskiFanski Mon 08 Apr 2013, 3:06 pm

Cycling is also much bigger in Europe, Wiggins and Cavendish are huge on the continent. I guess boxing suffers in the US as too many fights are on PPV?

ChelskiFanski

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Mon 08 Apr 2013, 3:14 pm

I think it is mainly to do with the rise of MMA, and the fact that in MMA the best all fight the best wether its UFC or the smaller orgnisations their owners insure the best fight the best, and im sure thats what people want to see really.

I dont want to be speculating but maybe the figures promoters give out in the UK about their fighters selling this many tickets in 1 day is made up aswel, to try and make their fighters seem alot bigger?

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 08 Apr 2013, 3:59 pm

J.Benson II wrote:MMA has overtaken boxing in America as the most popular contact sport.
I've got a few relatives who live in the States and when I visited them last year, none of them had any real interest in boxing but orgainzed a night in with a large group of friends to watch a UFC event.

The Royal Rumble or Wrestlemania?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 08 Apr 2013, 6:01 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Id say boxing is well ahead of Cricket and Tennis.

How many people tune in to watch the US Open or Masters?

How many people watch the local county games on Sky?

How many fans watch Khan/Brook/Fury/Price/Froch? I bet these said fighters sell more tickets in a year and get more buys/views then Cricket or Tennis over the year.

The UK only cover Tennis on a major scale in the summer with it being Wimbledon!

Wimbledon alone has a far higher viewing audience than boxing, Fury probably had the highest audience due to being on channel but the others are watched by a few hundred thousand, even less if it's PPV.

The masters is also watched by a few million people in this country alone, not taking into account America, for instance a Mayweather fight has 1.4mil viewers it would be wide of the mark to think tennis and golf are viewed by less.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down