The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best in the Business

+10
manos de piedra
Diamond in the rough
JabMachineMK2
TopHat24/7
Imperial Ghosty
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
TRUSSMAN66
azania
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
mobilemaster8
14 posters

Go down

Best in the Business

Best in the Business Vote_lcap8%Best in the Business Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 2 ]
Best in the Business Vote_lcap4%Best in the Business Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Best in the Business Vote_lcap4%Best in the Business Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Best in the Business Vote_lcap32%Best in the Business Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 8 ]
Best in the Business Vote_lcap0%Best in the Business Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Best in the Business Vote_lcap52%Best in the Business Vote_rcap 52% 
[ 13 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 25

Best in the Business Empty Best in the Business

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 10:52 am

Which one of these guys is the best fighter all round in the LWW division and why?

There seems to be a lot of mixed opinions so thought id start a separate thread where we can talk about all involved.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Best in the Business Empty Re: Best in the Business

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 10 Apr 2013, 11:18 am

Alexander won't be at LWW again imo so I think you can remove his name

You should also remove JMM, because he's ony going to fight one of Bradley, Pacquiao or Rios at 147

Out of the mentioned fighters I'd pick JMM but as I mentioned I do t think you can vote for him anymore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 10 Apr 2013, 11:33 am

Garcia.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 11:41 am

Ko-King isn't on here so Khan is still on zero.........

Has to be JMM..........Still cunning and savvy enough to do what's necessary.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 10 Apr 2013, 11:42 am

JMM is the best boxer there but Garcia is the better LWW.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 10 Apr 2013, 11:44 am

Lamont Peterson.

Now that the "juice" is flowing, ain't nobody gonna spill his cup
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 11:52 am

Garcia vs JMM - JMM all day long.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 10 Apr 2013, 11:55 am

I reckon the size difference will be a factor in favour of Garcia.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 12:03 pm

Cant see it myself AZ. I think Garcia is there to be hit and just simply isnt as good as people think.

JMM power has increase massively in the past 2 years and has filled into LWW nicely.

I think the power shots and ring smarts of JMM would out do anything Garcia can do.

JMM by late stoppage or UD

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 10 Apr 2013, 12:08 pm

Garcia throws wide looping hooks, JMM will counter him harder than anyone previously

A shot morales had the technique and ring smarts to give Garcia fits in their first fight and at one point even mocked Garcia for throwing such wide hooks but didn't have the tools anymore to make Garica pay whereas Marquez can

Garcia is heavy handed but doesn't hit as hard as pacquiao and Marquez stood up to his best shots

The only way Garcia wins is that JMM gets very old very quickly

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 10 Apr 2013, 12:11 pm

Im not so sure it would be so clear cut.

Garcia is pretty quick at unleashing that counter left hook which is now almost decapitating people.

Marquez fights best against volume fighters as they tend to make more mistakes and he capitalises on that, but Garcia isnt an ambush fighter or one that would try to overwhelm JMM.

I actually think it would be very close and could go either way.

Marquez has had a field day with his opponents over the past few years, Manny(4), Diaz (2), Katsidas and looked amazing.

I think it would be a very dull affair if im being honest with a SD to Garcia if I was forced to make a choice. I think Garcia gets a rough ride, he is very good at what he does. Ok he does take shots, but apart from Mayweather, who doesnt!?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 12:46 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Im not so sure it would be so clear cut.

Garcia is pretty quick at unleashing that counter left hook which is now almost decapitating people.

Marquez fights best against volume fighters as they tend to make more mistakes and he capitalises on that, but Garcia isnt an ambush fighter or one that would try to overwhelm JMM.

I actually think it would be very close and could go either way.

Marquez has had a field day with his opponents over the past few years, Manny(4), Diaz (2), Katsidas and looked amazing.

I think it would be a very dull affair if im being honest with a SD to Garcia if I was forced to make a choice. I think Garcia gets a rough ride, he is very good at what he does. Ok he does take shots, but apart from Mayweather, who doesnt!?

Wladamir? Never the less, i think your right in some aspects. Marquez does indeed like a come froward style fighter like Katsidis and PAcquiao, however, after his confidence boosting win against the Pac Man, i feel he may mix it up a little if not pressed early on. H He quote clearly has some huge power in his shots now which i think most LWW would struggle with, especially with how clean he hits.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 10 Apr 2013, 12:46 pm

The counter left hook isn't a weapon that's going to trouble a world class counter puncher, against an aggressive boxer like Khan it comes into play.

Marquez beats them all for me.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 10 Apr 2013, 12:52 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:The counter left hook isn't a weapon that's going to trouble a world class counter puncher, against an aggressive boxer like Khan it comes into play.

Marquez beats them all for me.

Exactly, too smart and too good just to rush in and get caught silly

Morales evaded his left hook easily enough in there first fight and Morales was never as good defensively as Marquez even in his prime which was a long time ago

Marquez will be on the backfoot looking to counter which will negate Garcia's left hook

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 10 Apr 2013, 12:58 pm

He comes up short against the finest counter puncher of all (mayweather was also on fire that night) and he suddenly can't handle any counter punchers. Garcia will be the one who has to engage not Marquez.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 1:03 pm

Garcia is a pretty limited one-punch wonder. Yes that counter left hook is very nice, but a wiley old dog like JMM will make Garcia come forward and will absolutely school him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 10 Apr 2013, 2:01 pm

If Katsidas can catch Marquez with a blastbomb of a hook to send him to the floor, Garcia will too. But Garcia will be smarter than to try and rush him for a finish.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 2:46 pm

Has anyone actually ever "finished" Marquez?

Having been knocked down on numerous occasions against bigger punchers (Pacquiao), he recovers better than anyone ive ever seen!

Even if the guy is battered to a pulp, he will still find a way to soak it up and dish it right back.

The question is whether Garcia can actually take such a fight.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 2:49 pm

Can we not pretend that JMM is an all conquering powerful counter puncher?

He's a great boxer, #4 P4P for me, but lets remember he is a distance fighter and he counters with boxing skills, knocking Pacquiao out was not a trend he's all of a sudden picked up, that punch would have knocked anyone around the weight down sure - but it is not his style to do so.

JMM is the best around the weight anyway. But not for some of the reasons stated

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 2:54 pm

Completely agree Jab.

I think he would simply counter punch Garcia's face off his shoulders.

Im also saying that he has the power and style to trouble him.

Garcia has not been in a tough one, and it does not come as touch as Marquez with his style.

Hard to beat, great ring smarts, beautiful counter puncher, experience, etc etc.

I think Garcia gets stopped late (aka Kats) or is eaten by a UD (Marquez being put down early on as well)

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Wed 10 Apr 2013, 3:35 pm

Garcia gets koed by Marquez late in the fight with both eyes closing due to sustained beating!

And I actually quite rate Garcia at LMM but Marquez is a level above the only one to beat Marquez out of them is maybe khan if he learns some defence, although that's a huge IF

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 10 Apr 2013, 3:52 pm

No way Khan beats Marquez.

Khan may be quick but as the fight goes on, the power, speed and sense goes out the window.....these are things that Marquez grows in as the fight goes on.

Khan makes too many mistakes and gets easily stopped in the mid rounds.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 10 Apr 2013, 6:19 pm

I wouldn't say Marquez is a distance fighter particularly, he certainly has the power to trouble anyone he lands on at 140lbs, anyone who can take the iron chinned Pacquiao out with one punch has some serious power. He's been down a fair few times but i've never seen him close to being stopped, even when Pacquiao had him down three times in a round his head was as clear as could be.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 10 Apr 2013, 6:41 pm

Based on what I have seen so far I think JMM would give Garcia a real lesson. Different level altogether.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 10 Apr 2013, 6:57 pm

Since Marquez started on the Scooby Snacks he looks pretty formidable.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 7:00 pm

Garcia wouldn't have a prayer against Marquez for me - unless Marquez turns fifty overnight which, in fairness, can happen pretty suddenly when a boxer is as long in the tooth as Marquez is. But if they meet and Marquez still has 70% of the form he's shown in the past two or three years, then he runs away with a decision against Garcia, I think.

Anyway, if Marquez does come back down to 140, which he easily could, then he could still teach all of these fellas a lesson or two and he'd be my pick as the 'best' Light-Welterweight going. If he stays up at Welter for whatever reason, then I still think that title passes on to Matthysse, with Khan a whisker behind (this is going on what I think would happen if you pitted the lot of them together in a league format to see who'd get the results to come out on top, mind you). I don't think anyone goes undefeated but Matthysse has that little bit more, for me. He's obviously a serious puncher, but he's also yet to be outboxed the way some of the others have.

I have serious misgivings about Rios and Alvarado, personally. Alvarado was outboxed for virtually a whole fight by Prescott (the same Prescott who was kept in check by the much-maligned Kevin Mitchell) and, while he was too clever for Rios the other week, Brandon is about as limited as world champions come, for me.

Of the guys currently at 140 (so Marquez excluded, for now), Matthysse, Khan and then Garcia in third spot have that little bit more than the rest in general, for me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Fri 12 Apr 2013, 9:01 am

88Chris05 completely agree about Rios and Alvarado..while they gave great displays against eachother I consider them a league below the rest of the fighters in the poll with all due respect.

At the moment Marquez is still no.1 IMO until one of these guys beats him

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 12 Apr 2013, 9:57 am

I think you can remove Alexander and Marquez from the list as said above probably won't be fighting at the weight again.

So for me the best two light welterweights in the world are Matthysse and Rios, the latter hasn't gone down in my estimation in any way at all after the other Saturday. Very close fight and he was pressing the action. The more I look at that fight, the less clear cut it is. I'd back him for the rematch, and I'd be extremely confident he'd destroy Garcia. As would Matthysse. Khan can't live with Matthysse and Rios for obvious reasons, and Lamont would be a notch behind the top two or three for me.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 12 Apr 2013, 11:39 am

The blueprint is there for Rios and people of every style are catching on

As Chris alluded to, Alvarado is no boxer. Prescott was beating him easy and Herrera's inside game was giving him fits before mike's power came through I the end. In the rematch he looked so awkward on the backfoot, switching southpaw for no reason and was still getting caught by Rios. That said Rios' inability to cut off the ring effectively or move his head was apparent and Alvarado found that Rios was defenceless against his right hand

His inside game and toughness will make him a trouble for anyone when they stand still, but you'd imagine that any of the top fighters will try to box him. He has been in a lot of tough fights and cutting so much weight has affected him as his work rate is dropping and is no longer finishing the stronger as he did down at lightweight. Garcia, Matthysse as Marquez can all bang, moreso than Mike imo and should they catch him cleanly enough they may even stop him as he was hurt a lot in the Alvarado rematch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down