The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch is on Sky! (Signs with Matchroom)

+9
AdZacO
manos de piedra
JJJohnson
Union Cane
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
88Chris05
The Galveston Giant
azania
Scottrf
13 posters

Go down

Froch is on Sky! (Signs with Matchroom) Empty Froch is on Sky! (Signs with Matchroom)

Post by Scottrf Wed 04 May 2011, 1:39 pm

Joins Darren Barker, Paul McCloskey and Kell Brook amongst others.

Should see him on Sky.

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2011/another-big-coup-matchroom-carl-froch-joins-their-team

And does see him on Sky:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12184_6915007,00.html?

Last edited by Scottrf on Thu 05 May 2011, 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Froch is on Sky! (Signs with Matchroom) Empty Re: Froch is on Sky! (Signs with Matchroom)

Post by azania Wed 04 May 2011, 1:41 pm

Good move by Froch. Matchroom seem to be very aggressive in getting decent fights for their guys and hyping them up.

azania

Back to top Go down

Froch is on Sky! (Signs with Matchroom) Empty Re: Froch is on Sky! (Signs with Matchroom)

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 04 May 2011, 1:46 pm

Definitely a step in the right direction.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 04 May 2011, 1:51 pm

Great news for Froch, have always been a big fan of Barry Hearn (really pleased with what he's done in snooker over the last twelve months) and Froch, coming towards the last three or four fights of his career, will want the extra exposure, and money which will result from it.

Just a shame that he won't be on Sky (so it seems, at least) until after the Super Six series has finished, by which time he'll be thirty-four. Who's to say what he'll have left in the tank a year down the line? Had those scraps with Taylor and Kessler got the exposure they deserved Britain's number one fighter would have been getting the props he deserves a while ago.

Still, a slice of good news and a step in the right direction for Froch. Just hope it hasn't come too late in his career.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 04 May 2011, 1:54 pm

I think Froch can go on fighting for another 4 years. He hasn't shipped too much punishment (until recently) and he seems to be very dedicated. Plus I'd like to see more of his missus (and hear her).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 04 May 2011, 1:55 pm

Barry Hearn isn't involved in the boxing any more, Eddie Hearn has taken over completely. They also don't seem to be wanting to make profit through it and are running it as a bit of a plaything apparently. I reckon he will be on Sky for his next fight Chris.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2011, 1:57 pm

Is Barry still pulling the strings at Matchroom as his lad Eddie seems to be getting his face on the box more and more? I thinks it's obvious Eddie will be stepping into his father's shoes at some point although I hope he doesn't spread himself too thinly like Barry did with his fingers in various sporting pies

Who can forget the infamous PPV darts match when "Fat B*****d of the Year", Andy Fordham passed out on the way to the oche.

Let's hope Eddie keeps it nice and simple....AND NEVER EVEN CONSIDERS GIVING AUDLEY HARRISON ANOTHER CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

******BALLS!! Scott beat me too it**************

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 04 May 2011, 2:03 pm

Scottrf wrote:Barry Hearn isn't involved in the boxing any more, Eddie Hearn has taken over completely. They also don't seem to be wanting to make profit through it and are running it as a bit of a plaything apparently. I reckon he will be on Sky for his next fight Chris.

Is that right? Didn't know that Barry had completely knocked his boxing interest on the head and passed them off to Eddie. Still, Matchroom is where Froch needs to be if he doesn't fancy taking the Warren route. As for Sky? I hope you're right. Not sure of the workings around the Super Six series though, heard so many contrasting stories.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 04 May 2011, 2:11 pm

Great decision by Carl.

I like Eddie Hearn, he seems to compose himself well when speaking.

Hopefully they can get Froch some well needed exposure, he surely deserves it.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 04 May 2011, 2:27 pm

Scottrf wrote:Barry Hearn isn't involved in the boxing any more, Eddie Hearn has taken over completely. They also don't seem to be wanting to make profit through it and are running it as a bit of a plaything apparently. I reckon he will be on Sky for his next fight Chris.

Barry seemed pretty involved at the Khan McCloskey fight?!!?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 04 May 2011, 2:31 pm

Union Cane wrote:Barry seemed pretty involved at the Khan McCloskey fight?!!?
It's what Eddie said on Ringside anyway.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJohnson Wed 04 May 2011, 3:08 pm

Froch's fight with Johnson will be on Sky,as well as his next four fights,Froch apparently even tried to tempt Calzaghe out of retirement(but that wont happen).

Thats what it says on the website:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6912926,00.html

Dont like Froch but I like how exciting his fights are so its a great deal that has been struck.

JJJohnson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 04 May 2011, 3:14 pm

Doesn't say he will be on Sky, says he will be with Matchroom.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJohnson Wed 04 May 2011, 3:16 pm

My bad,you are indeed right.

I hope that I found some mystical hindsight that shows that his fights will be on Sky haha.

Its a real shame that it has taken so long for Froch to get some exposure though.

JJJohnson
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 04 May 2011, 3:30 pm

Hope its not a case of too little too late Froch. Although there are still plenty of big fights left - who wouldnt want to see matches with Kesler, Ward or Bute?? - but the clock is ticking for him.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Wed 04 May 2011, 9:37 pm

Have you read the depressing quotes from bbc. He was pretty much crying saying why am i not reconised in britain.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 04 May 2011, 9:42 pm

Thought he was pretty much bang on. He deserves the acclaim in this country that Khan and Haye get.http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/13282887.stm
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Shears Wed 04 May 2011, 9:56 pm

Hopefully it'll restore faith in British boxing for the casual oberver, who was done up the bum in November, that there is still world class fighters, worth watching.

Billy Shears

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Wed 04 May 2011, 10:01 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Thought he was pretty much bang on. He deserves the acclaim in this country that Khan and Haye get.http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/13282887.stm

After reading back my comment it seemed too mocking. I do agree with him. He deserves the Inches and minutes, as i think he put it. He is a warrior who has put it all on the line versus the very best in his division.

I just thought it was a shame, and first time i have seem him seem like this, that he wanted, o felt like he deserved accolation, which he does.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 04 May 2011, 10:12 pm

If you were Froch and seen the TV time given to Kahn, Cleverly, DeGale and Groves in recent months you would be a bit pi55ed off.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Wed 04 May 2011, 10:19 pm

Just proves the lack of british promoters.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 04 May 2011, 10:25 pm

He's done alright in America the super six has earned him good cash which is well deserved. Think he would have done better under Warren for example rather than fat Mick.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 04 May 2011, 11:34 pm

prettyboykev wrote:He's done alright in America the super six has earned him good cash which is well deserved. Think he would have done better under Warren for example rather than fat Mick.

If he were under Warren, he wouldn't be in the S6.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 04 May 2011, 11:39 pm

He would be more established in Britain and this seems to annoy him. That's why I said he would be better with Warren. Fat Mick did well for Froch stateside but over here the lack of a decent TV deal is scandalous.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 04 May 2011, 11:45 pm

prettyboykev wrote:He would be more established in Britain and this seems to annoy him. That's why I said he would be better with Warren. Fat Mick did well for Froch stateside but over here the lack of a decent TV deal is scandalous.

Tru. Better for Froch financially. But worse for the fans. If I were a pro boxer, I know what I would choose.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 04 May 2011, 11:51 pm

I thought he might have went with an American promoter. He's talked about moving up to LHW after the S6. IMO an American promoter like GBP would've been better if he won the S6.

If he moves up to LHW next year Pascal, Bhop, Cloud and Dawson would be easier fights to make with a propmoter over their.

He seems desperate for the recognition over here he deserves.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 04 May 2011, 11:53 pm

prettyboykev wrote:I thought he might have went with an American promoter. He's talked about moving up to LHW after the S6. IMO an American promoter like GBP would've been better if he won the S6.

If he moves up to LHW next year Pascal, Bhop, Cloud and Dawson would be easier fights to make with a propmoter over their.

He seems desperate for the recognition over here he deserves.

I cant see Hop fighting him. Not known enough and therefore not worth the risk. Also Hop will lose to Pascal and probably retire 8)

Dawson is all wrong for Carl. He would beat Pascal again though. I cant see him beating ward also. Ward is a better version of Dirrell.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 04 May 2011, 11:57 pm

I think the Bhop fight would be a possibility but only if he won S6. I think Ward beats Froch which is a shame because he is an awful fighter to watch. Doesn't have the flashy skills or the explosive power that could excite. Just does very little wrong.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 04 May 2011, 11:59 pm

prettyboykev wrote:I think the Bhop fight would be a possibility but only if he won S6. I think Ward beats Froch which is a shame because he is an awful fighter to watch. Doesn't have the flashy skills or the explosive power that could excite. Just does very little wrong.

The problem I have with Hop is that he bloody well has to age one day. The man is older than G-d. Winning the S6 and beating Ward will elevate him as for some reason Ward is ranked in the top 10 p4p.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 05 May 2011, 12:33 am

Ward top 10 P4P is a joke Froch has done more at SMW than Ward. As for Bhop would love to see him clean up at the weight. Think he will beat Pascal, I would also back him against Cloud or Dawson he is a master tactician.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 05 May 2011, 6:34 pm

Froch v Johnson will be on Sky. Just announced on Ringside.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Thu 05 May 2011, 6:45 pm

brillant news.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 05 May 2011, 6:52 pm

Hopefully he will get the recognition he deserves now.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 May 2011, 7:31 pm

Knowing Carls' luck, Eddie Hearn will get him a lucrative match against Taylor...Phil Taylor!

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 05 May 2011, 7:54 pm

Matchroom are pretty good Barry knows sport he's doing an excellent job with snooker and has worked wonders for darts.

Hopefully they can get a big name over hear to fight Carl at the Nottingham Forrests City ground.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Thu 05 May 2011, 8:49 pm

As long as it's not PPV.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 05 May 2011, 8:54 pm

i'd pay PPV for Froch, its his first fight on sky, hopefully it will be free otherwise i will pay it, always fights a world level fighter never a bum ie, Khan, Haye and always exciting to watch, wins over Pascal, Taylor, Dirrell, Abraham are better than what any brit's done that i can remember!

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 05 May 2011, 9:00 pm

5 straight world class fights not many fighters around can claim to have done that. I would pay to watch Froch on PPV. He's good value fo money. Sky didn't say if it would be PPV or not. I would be suprised if it was given they have DeGale v Groves and Haye v Wlad coming up on PPV.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 May 2011, 9:05 pm

Lets hope we (only) see more of his wife. randy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 05 May 2011, 9:17 pm

Az you not a fan of her voice?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 May 2011, 9:19 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Az you not a fan of her voice?

How did you work that out? Shocked

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 05 May 2011, 9:21 pm

Steven_89 wrote:i'd pay PPV for Froch, its his first fight on sky, hopefully it will be free otherwise i will pay it, always fights a world level fighter never a bum ie, Khan, Haye and always exciting to watch, wins over Pascal, Taylor, Dirrell, Abraham are better than what any brit's done that i can remember!

His next fight is against a 42 year old Glenn Johnson. Its not exactly A list material.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Thu 05 May 2011, 10:28 pm

All of his recent fights have been on PPV. If he wants recognition he needs to fight Johnson on regular SKY then push for Ward on PPV.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 05 May 2011, 10:30 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:All of his recent fights have been on PPV. If he wants recognition he needs to fight Johnson on regular SKY then push for Ward on PPV.

I dont think he's a big enough name for ppv even against Ward who himself is hardly a name here.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 06 May 2011, 12:15 am

Hopefully Sky take the view that he needs a little more exposure before going PPV. It's not been easy to follow his career recently since it took off. I wouldn't be suprised though to see them go PPV straight away with the Johnson fight.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 06 May 2011, 12:48 am

I don't think they will part of the problem Sky had before with Froch was that they didn't want to many PPV fighters because people would pick and choose so fat Mick went with Primetime. Think they might gofor Sky Sports first because they have DeGale and the Haye on PPV.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 06 May 2011, 12:54 am

Hope so, makes sense. Being so close to other PPV's should make it a no go.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 06 May 2011, 8:39 am

I can't see the likes of Bute, Dawson, Cloud or Hopkins coming over here to fight Froch. I left out Pascal because Bhop should beat him. He wants a big fight in Britain but I think he might move up to LHW and take on Cleverly. He mentioned Cleverly on Ringside last night.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down