The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

grading Nadal's comeback

+15
bogbrush
summerblues
Henman Bill
laverfan
lydian
Jeremy_Kyle
Danny_1982
Silver
hawkeye
invisiblecoolers
Josiah Maiestas
socal1976
HM Murdock
lags72
kingraf
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

grading Nadal's comeback  - Page 3 Empty grading Nadal's comeback

Post by kingraf Wed 24 Apr 2013, 6:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

so far so good in my opinion. 21-2 is the best he has ever started a season. He possesses a 5-1 record vs top ten opposition. And he has won three titles and made finals in every tournament he has entered.

He did concede a stronghold In Monte Carlo, but I'm not sure much can be taken from that in terms of where he is. Firstly the conditions were suitable for Novak to beat Nadal. Secondly, he took a month long break after Indian Wells, while this normally shouldn't mean to much, when you factor in that he had only played for a month, after a seven month layoff, then obviously some rust was to be expected.

I would rate his comeback as an A-minus so far. Thoughts?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

grading Nadal's comeback  - Page 3 Empty Re: grading Nadal's comeback

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:26 pm

lags72 wrote:
lydian wrote:McEnroe himself says he didn't practice hard enough, mainly using doubles as practice, nor was he amongst the fittest either - had he been fitter he would have probably won that 84 RG final. He then went AWOL in 1985 at 26 years old - right at his prime to never come back the same - he would never win another slam or Masters level event again. He also didn't bother with Australia Open much and his clay preparation wasn't exactly deep either. I would say he didn't make as much as he could have done if he'd fully committed to the tour.

Interesting point there lydian wrt the trajectory of Mac's career - or at least the latter stages of it.

In his autobiog, Mac emphasises just how much the shock early retirement of Borg had impacted on his own psyche, saying that it took him a good while to regain his hunger/motivation.

I think a lot of folk were never aware - and if they were, have perhaps forgotten over time - that Mac's prime, Slam-winning years ended at pretty much the equivalent age that Borg chose to withdraw from the sport ; and 26 y.o. is undoubtedly premature (especially so by today's standards when we saw Fed winning Wimbledon last year aged a few weeks short of 31 ........ )

Some other are, on the contrary, aware of the fact you mentioned, and are also aware that at least 90% of slams are won in the prime age of a tennis player (e.g. 21 - 27) , thus Mcenroe isn't such an isolated case, if it is considered that many other big name (Wilander, Courier, Bruguera, Kuerten, Edberg etc) won all their slams in their prime.. OK
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:31 pm

Oh look, we have someone in the house who likes making lists.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:32 pm

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:
Jeremy_Kyle wrote:
Jeremy_Kyle wrote:
Jeremy_Kyle wrote:I don't want to get into the same old argument against rafa fans.....Nontheless, it is fair to say that they are more picturesque than average. Their ability to analyse Rafa defeats in the smallest details and to find reasons behind each defeat, is where they really stand apart.

For example here I am listing some of the adverse circumstances Rafa had to battle against, that the rafa fans promptly identified:

- The rustiness: Rafa was deemed to be rusty during the final

- The wet clay: even though it wasn't raining, the clay did look very wet

- Lack of important matches against top players

- Rafa had niggles and pain (infomation was taken from a dedicated and well informed blog)

- The enforcement of 25 sec rule played against him.

- Rafa forgot all the technical variation he successfully put in place to counter Djokovic in 2012.

- Rafa didn't move as well as usual

- Play got delayed by rain

- I mean a guy takes seven months off plays for a month, then takes another month off, so eight months off out of nine, but of course thats a mere footnote, on the binliography

- Uncle Tony coaching lacks tactical awareness

- Rafa didn't practice hard enough before MC, preferring instead to have a jolly time with his friends

- Rafa wasn't motivated enough

- Please feel free to add...... Crying or Very sad
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:34 pm

lydian wrote:Oh look, we have someone in the house who likes making lists.

My favourite movie is Shindler's list thumbsup
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:59 am

So... A- sounds about right so far, given the Wimbledon misstep, no?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 10 Sep 2013, 2:27 am

Nah it's an A. One of the best comeback seasons of any sport
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 5:30 am

A plus at this rate, best player in the world and probably the best player ever.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3