The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sugar Ray Robinson

+17
superflyweight
Strongback
ShahenshahG
bellchees
Mark II
owen10ozzy
JabMachineMK2
horizontalhero
Rodney
hazharrison
88Chris05
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
huw
kingraf
ONETWOFOREVER
azania
21 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Sugar Ray Robinson - Page 4 Empty Sugar Ray Robinson

Post by azania Tue 30 Apr 2013, 11:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

A concensus number 1 P4P (not mine though). My questions are simple. Will he ever be surpassed? What does a boxer either active, not born yet have to do to be able to claim that fabled mantle? Obviously no semi decent boxer is going to have over 100 fights let alone 200 fights.

What if a boxer has 50 fights and in that time wins titles and dominates his division from lightweight to middleweight and has 2 losses on his record (and avenged). Also have in mind that he beat some very good boxers who themselves can be classed as ATGs along the way. Would that do it?

azania

Back to top Go down

Sugar Ray Robinson - Page 4 Empty Re: Sugar Ray Robinson

Post by azania Wed 01 May 2013, 11:41 pm

Of course. All must accept excuses for SRR otherwise it's a mental health issue. Had a modern day boxer lost as often as he did and to average fighters he would have been laughed b if considered an ATG.

We have an undefeated fighter still winning and he can't break the top 30 in many so called experts opinion. Maybe he should have padded his record out with bums called :"battling", 'fighting", or some other nickname.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 02 May 2013, 12:55 am

Without SRR there would be no Mayweather.

Watch a couple of SRR fights you might surprise yourself.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 02 May 2013, 2:14 am

azania wrote:Of course. All must accept excuses for SRR otherwise it's a mental health issue. Had a modern day boxer lost as often as he did and to average fighters he would have been laughed b if considered an ATG.

We have an undefeated fighter still winning and he can't break the top 30 in many so called experts opinion. Maybe he should have padded his record out with bums called :"battling", 'fighting", or some other nickname.

I don't think anyone here has Floyd that low, go take your Floyd issues up with the "experts" who do have him outside the top 30.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 May 2013, 7:17 am

I said experts.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 May 2013, 8:13 am

p4p and ATG is a touchy subject, after all PacMan has beaten, Marquez (x2), Barera, Morales, Mosley, Cotto, Hatton, de la Hoya, and a few decent fighters like Margarito, and Clottey. He got an endorsement from Leonard, and RJJ, and he still wont smell the top fifty
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 02 May 2013, 9:21 am

Pacquiao should waltz in to any decent top fifty at the very least, for me. It's become a bit fashonable over the past eighteen months (so basically, since Pacquiao's aura has started to dim) to downplay Manny and his career accomplishments - a lot of people have piped up in that time basically saying "Yeah, I knew he was overrated and not much cop from the start" and the like.

If Floyd's on the edge of most people's top ten or in their top fifteen, then I really don't see how Pacquiao can be any lower than about 30 or so at the very, very least. Like Floyd, Manny has been winning world title fights since 1998. Pacquiao's elite level wins, all things considered, read just as well as Floyd's, maybe even better. He doesn't quite have Mayweather's depth of 'good' wins underneath that and hasn't quite had that same level of dominance and virtuosity against his opponents, granted, but while Mayweather deserves to be ahead I certainly don't think he's in a completely different stratosphere to Pacquiao.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 02 May 2013, 10:42 am

If B-Hop avenges Dawson and JC comes back and he whoops him, he goes up that list. Also, if he beats Taylor. Lol.

SRR the greatest yo, fact.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 02 May 2013, 11:41 am

88Chris05 wrote:Pacquiao should waltz in to any decent top fifty at the very least, for me. It's become a bit fashonable over the past eighteen months (so basically, since Pacquiao's aura has started to dim) to downplay Manny and his career accomplishments - a lot of people have piped up in that time basically saying "Yeah, I knew he was overrated and not much cop from the start" and the like.

If Floyd's on the edge of most people's top ten or in their top fifteen, then I really don't see how Pacquiao can be any lower than about 30 or so at the very, very least. Like Floyd, Manny has been winning world title fights since 1998. Pacquiao's elite level wins, all things considered, read just as well as Floyd's, maybe even better. He doesn't quite have Mayweather's depth of 'good' wins underneath that and hasn't quite had that same level of dominance and virtuosity against his opponents, granted, but while Mayweather deserves to be ahead I certainly don't think he's in a completely different stratosphere to Pacquiao.

How do you split Pacquiao and Mayweather?

Neither make the top 20.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 02 May 2013, 11:48 am

Pacquiao not quite top twenty for me (though he doesn't miss out by much), but Floyd definitely is. Mayweather's just demonstrably a better boxer than Pacquiao, has had a greater level of dominance against his peers and his overall opposition is of a pretty similar level - as I said before, Pacquiao's highest level wins such as Barrera I, Marquez II and Cotto read better than Floyd's three best victories in my eyes when context, timing, form of the opponent etc is taken in to consideration, but Floyd's been around the block so many times he has a plethora of very solid wins underneath that which Manny can't match.

Regardless of where you rank them, my point is that, based on records, achievements and impact on the sport, you can't really have them worlds apart. Roughly speaking, if Mayweather's top five then Pacquiao is top fifteen, for instance. If Mayweather's top fifteen then Pacquiao must be around 25 or so, etc.

Just how I see it, anyway.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 May 2013, 12:02 pm

Pacquiao is the three time boxer of the year. Cant be that far out to have him top 20?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 02 May 2013, 12:26 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Pacquiao not quite top twenty for me (though he doesn't miss out by much), but Floyd definitely is. Mayweather's just demonstrably a better boxer than Pacquiao, has had a greater level of dominance against his peers and his overall opposition is of a pretty similar level - as I said before, Pacquiao's highest level wins such as Barrera I, Marquez II and Cotto read better than Floyd's three best victories in my eyes when context, timing, form of the opponent etc is taken in to consideration, but Floyd's been around the block so many times he has a plethora of very solid wins underneath that which Manny can't match.

Regardless of where you rank them, my point is that, based on records, achievements and impact on the sport, you can't really have them worlds apart. Roughly speaking, if Mayweather's top five then Pacquiao is top fifteen, for instance. If Mayweather's top fifteen then Pacquiao must be around 25 or so, etc.

Has Mayweather ever dominated, though? I don't see Floyd having more solid wins than Pacquiao. There's nothing between them.

They both beat: Cotto, Hatton, Oscar, Mosley, Marquez (Pacquiao twice).

Floyd has: Gatti, Ortiz, Corrales, Castillo (twice), Hernandez and Judah.
Pacquiao has: Margarito, Clottey, Morales (twice), Barrera (twice)

The rest is much of a muchness. I don't see a lot in the rest of their work.

I side more with the list published earlier in the thread. Both don't belong that high as they didn't face one another.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 02 May 2013, 12:32 pm

I mean, how could you have either over a fighter like Thomas Hearns?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 02 May 2013, 12:43 pm

Or Roy Jones?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 May 2013, 12:46 pm

Strictly speaking, I dont rate either over Hearns, but I dont think a case cant be made. Hearns did lose to both Leonard and Hagler and a decent Barkley (twice)
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 02 May 2013, 1:01 pm

azania wrote:Of course. All must accept excuses for SRR otherwise it's a mental health issue. Had a modern day boxer lost as often as he did and to average fighters he would have been laughed b if considered an ATG.

Which is something you've lifted off Truss' silly fizzy-knickers thread the other day with no actual backing.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 02 May 2013, 1:19 pm

Mayweather wont be properly rated until after he retires, and even then will probably change over time so I dont think saying he is/isnt top 30 as of yet has too much bearing.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 02 May 2013, 1:38 pm

If anyone puts Floyd outside of a top 20 then I'd say they're being unnecessarily harsh. This would re-iterate Az's point that becoming #1 is impossible.

All Floyd needs to do is for his next 6 fights, follow this pattern to achieve #1 in my eyes;

1) Deal with Guerrero comfortably.
2) Step up and face Canelo at 154 beforehe gets too big to make the weight.
3) Defend at 154 against Trout or another champion like Ishe Smith
4) Step up to MW and fight the winner of a UK Middleweight tourney between Macklin/Barker and Murray, showing he can fight outside of America.
5) Fight the current MW champion, unlikely to be Martinez due to age, but Geale/Golovkin etc
6) Defend against someone highly rated, maybe a rematch with the MW champion.

If he follows this path and wins them all, he'll be an undefeated champion in 6 weight divisions, undefeated in title fights with a 15+ year reign - he'll have fought the best in each weight category while moving up (lets look at Marquez now and NOT Pacquiao as the best at Welterweight)

The only name missing is Bradley really as a fight he should have taken at some point, but nobody can be perfect.

So, 50 - 0 would make him the greatest of all time, and the PPV numbers for Mayweather vs Alvarez would make every other sporting event look shizenhausen.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 02 May 2013, 1:51 pm

hazharrison wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:Pacquiao not quite top twenty for me (though he doesn't miss out by much), but Floyd definitely is. Mayweather's just demonstrably a better boxer than Pacquiao, has had a greater level of dominance against his peers and his overall opposition is of a pretty similar level - as I said before, Pacquiao's highest level wins such as Barrera I, Marquez II and Cotto read better than Floyd's three best victories in my eyes when context, timing, form of the opponent etc is taken in to consideration, but Floyd's been around the block so many times he has a plethora of very solid wins underneath that which Manny can't match.

Has Mayweather ever dominated, though? I don't see Floyd having more solid wins than Pacquiao. There's nothing between them.

They both beat: Cotto, Hatton, Oscar, Mosley, Marquez (Pacquiao twice).

Floyd has: Gatti, Ortiz, Corrales, Castillo (twice), Hernandez and Judah.
Pacquiao has: Margarito, Clottey, Morales (twice), Barrera (twice)

The rest is much of a muchness. I don't see a lot in the rest of their work.

I side more with the list published earlier in the thread. Both don't belong that high as they didn't face one another.

SRR dominated one division. At MW he was very average.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 02 May 2013, 3:09 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote: So, 50 - 0 would make him the greatest of all time.

This is incorrect.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 02 May 2013, 3:14 pm

hazharrison wrote:

This is incorrect.

he has fought approx about 5 times in 5 years and missed his greatest challenge.

I find it difficult to rank him in the top 20

cheers rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 02 May 2013, 3:22 pm

hazharrison wrote:

This is incorrect.

*in my opinion

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 02 May 2013, 3:34 pm

Rodney wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

This is incorrect.

he has fought approx about 5 times in 5 years and missed his greatest challenge.

I find it difficult to rank him in the top 20

cheers rodders

Even with the CV Jab mapped out?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 02 May 2013, 3:36 pm

Not the greatest ever but top 10 material if thats the case mate. Still doesnt the excuse of the inactivity and the comeback without fighting the P4P king at the time in his own weight class.

I'm like a broken record I know

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 May 2013, 3:52 pm

Dempsey missd his greatest challenge...He's top 10 and his record is pap in comparison.

More double standards.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 May 2013, 3:54 pm

Can we not forget Manny.............After all he's been schooled in 3/4 of his fights with Marquez...the last one canvas licking!!

Beaten by Morales etc.................

So doesn't take much in the brains department to figure out he'd have got a slap...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 02 May 2013, 3:57 pm

So Floyd doesn't have brains then?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 02 May 2013, 4:00 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Can we not forget Manny.............After all he's been schooled in 3/4 of his fights with Marquez...the last one canvas licking!!

Beaten by Morales etc.................

So doesn't take much in the brains department to figure out he'd have got a slap...

We'll never know, though, because they didn't fight.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:02 pm

To be honest Floyd is lucky...........

I mean when the only thing people can think off to slap you down is not fighting a guy who's been repeatedly outboxed by a guy..............you pitched a shutout against...........

Then you know you've got all bases covered..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:09 pm

Dear oh dear...We were just having a little throw about on Owen's thread and it's been locked.....

Fiery debate is becoming a thing of the past.....People should be less sensitive....

Wally is a term of endearment...In the US handbook.

1. Mayweather
2. Whittaker..............For posterity!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 May 2013, 4:17 pm

I thought boxing was the one sport whereby you cant assume someone (Floyd) can beat someone (Manny) just cause They faced the same person and had different results.
See: Norton-Ali-Foreman
Or Barrera-Pac-Morales
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:18 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:To be honest Floyd is lucky...........

I mean when the only thing people can think off to slap you down is not fighting a guy who's been repeatedly outboxed by a guy..............you pitched a shutout against...........

And yet, despite being so clearly inferior, Floyd found a way to never fight him but instead go on holiday for a year or so then come back to fight a fat blown up LW at a catchweight he didn't even bother adhering too......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:21 pm

He found 50/50 hard to stomach you're right...

After all he's American......The bigger, better fighter , the fight is in America.....

Never sell yourself short..........................

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 May 2013, 4:23 pm

Cant be serious mate...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:24 pm

That it...your rebuttal...Don't bother Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:25 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Dear oh dear...We were just having a little throw about on Owen's thread and it's been locked.....

Fiery debate is becoming a thing of the past.....People should be less sensitive....

Wally is a term of endearment...In the US handbook.

Is 'idiot' a term of endearment as well?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:29 pm

Sports illustrated did an article.............it's on the net

Manny 15 fights on PPv..............9.9 million buys $525 million
Mayweather 9 fights on ppv.......9.6 million buys $540 million

Mayweather - Cotto ws the second highest grossing non heavyweight ppv boxing event in history,,

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 May 2013, 4:30 pm

Okay let me give you a serious argument. It takes two to tango, and even though Floyd may be the Yank, he was never gonna make AS much money as he would vs Pacquiao, isnt this why he got the 50/50 split with ODLH? Or would you believe Floyd sold that on his own?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 02 May 2013, 4:30 pm

Thread was locked because Ozzy asked for it to be locked. I am a man of the people.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:31 pm

You're a proud yorkshireman...........

I knew there would be one...somewhere!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:34 pm

kingraf wrote:Okay let me give you a serious argument. It takes two to tango, and even though Floyd may be the Yank, he was never gonna make AS much money as he would vs Pacquiao, isnt this why he got the 50/50 split with ODLH? Or would you believe Floyd sold that on his own?

You are so wrong...You get what you deserve in this life.................The buys show Mayweather was the bigger name......and generally regarded as the better fighter anyway..........Only when Floyd took time out did Manny assume top spot!!

If a business is worth 10 million...Do I accept 6 because I don't want to be greedy.....

Nope..I'll take what it's worth..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:36 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He found 50/50 hard to stomach you're right...

After all he's American......The bigger, better fighter , the fight is in America.....

Never sell yourself short..........................

All perfectly convenient excuses not to make the fight. If it were that important he'd have made the fight. He didn't. Because he considered his '0' would count for more for his legacy.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:37 pm

I refer you to the above answer...

He should have fought manny for free............... Rolling Eyes ...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 May 2013, 4:39 pm

"Generally regarded as the better fighter" because in boxing talent= Numbers, right? See Fury, Tyson.

Pacquiao 2006, 2008, 2009 fighter of the year.
Mayweather 1998, 2007 fighter of the year.

Hardly a chasm in accolades, no?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I refer you to the above answer...

He should have fought manny for free............... Rolling Eyes ...

Who said free?

Did I miss something?

Can you quote where anyone suggested anything even close?

Looking at the PPV numbers for various fights they look about level, apart from Floyd-Oscar which blew everything else out the water, but it's not like that was all Floyd - that marked the handing over of the mantel of the world's most marketable fighter.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:45 pm

kingraf wrote:"Generally regarded as the better fighter" because in boxing talent= Numbers, right? See Fury, Tyson.

Pacquiao 2006, 2008, 2009 fighter of the year.
Mayweather 1998, 2007 fighter of the year.

Hardly a chasm in accolades, no?

P**s poor argument..................Now go on youtube and you'll find that only Bonecrusher Smith out of.........Camacho, Spinks, Leonard, Haugen, Pazienza, Marquez, Holmes...............

Picked Manny to win...............Marquez being the real obvious one..

With the numbers thing...don't take me out of context..

I don't like it.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:46 pm

Well taking 50:50 against Manny would still have made him more green than his 75:25 split against Ortiz and his 65:35 against Cotto. If you're so determined that Floyd should get every single penny out of boxing that he can, then he's done himself out of some serious cash by not taking the 50:50 against Manny, surely? That must upset you, as I know you don't want Floyd to be living hand to mouth.

Take the test, Poochuiao. And give me a bigger share of the pot. And get rid of your promoter or else we can't even talk (for some reason)....
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:47 pm

Mayweather doesn't need Paccy and here is why....

1. Boxers are rated on their records......always have been and always will be.
2. Americans will decide Floyd's fate anyway.....As all the respected lists are American...

So a few jealous Brits are irrelevant..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:49 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Well taking 50:50 against Manny would still have made him more green than his 75:25 split against Ortiz and his 65:35 against Cotto. If you're so determined that Floyd should get every single penny out of boxing that he can, then he's done himself out of some serious cash by not taking the 50:50 against Manny, surely? That must upset you, as I know you don't want Floyd to be living hand to mouth.

Take the test, Poochuiao. And give me a bigger share of the pot. And get rid of your promoter or else we can't even talk (for some reason)....

Manny didn't deserve 50/50.................FFS.............If I'm worth more...I want more...........

Why knock Floyd...why not knock Manny for not accepting 40/60..............pathetic.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:50 pm

Since Floyd-Oscar, Floyd has done 6.17m buys (5 fights) whereas Manny has done 9.84m buys in 9 fights. Average buy per fight 1.234 v 1.093 which, if applied to a revenue split would be 53:47 in Floyd's favour. As said above, hardly a chasm of popularity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay-per-view

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:51 pm

If you add Floyd-Oscar back (which I think is generous as it over-emphasis Floyd as a draw) the split becomes 57:43 in Floyd's favour.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next