The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British & Irish Lions - the Positive Re-balancing Thread

+6
glamorganalun
Geordie
Biltong
thebluesmancometh
wanderingdragon
George Carlin
10 posters

Go down

British & Irish Lions - the Positive Re-balancing Thread Empty British & Irish Lions - the Positive Re-balancing Thread

Post by George Carlin Thu 02 May 2013, 7:08 am

Now that I've had some more time to think about this and get a general sense of the reporting from our hyperbolic national sports press, I suspect with a few of us familiarity is breeding contempt with our own players.

Australia are good, there's no question and this will support a humdinger of a series. We will need to be at our best. But honestly and truly, look at this team at its best - it's been selected at random but it's essentially what I'd choose:

1. Healy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOPBwC0ZITs
2. Hibbard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLVVx_qprUA
3. Jones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLVVx_qprUA
4. O'Connell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp5W_cwNnPo
5. Gray https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0v4DjViyoE
6. Warbuton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X0eGPWJ-x0
7. Tipuric https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_pIwF4qk6c
8. O'Brien https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDTmdDhGO50

9. Youngs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7TWCyFGKpo
10. Sexton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IU2tpBfM9c

11. North https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhc8YIjIi48
12. Tualagi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1KAdBUJX64
13. O'Driscoll https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZtR8V7sCDU
14. Maitland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTaSPeRLdiY
15. Hogg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z91l6pyMcyY / Halfpenny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTSiN9oYqmc

Let's not forget what a team with individuals capable of things like that could do. We've been running other nations' players down so much, I suspect we're forgetting the massive collective firepower available.

The game is now on and for all of their posturing, the Aussie press know this.

Looking forward to it all now.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

British & Irish Lions - the Positive Re-balancing Thread Empty Re: British & Irish Lions - the Positive Re-balancing Thread

Post by wanderingdragon Thu 02 May 2013, 8:17 am

I would go for

1 Healy
2 Youngs
3 Jones
4 O'Connell
5 Jones
6 Lydiate
7 Warburton
8 Heaslip
9 Phillips
10 Sexton
11 North
12 Roberts
13 O'Driscoll
14 Bowe
15 Halfpenny

Bench: Cole, Hibbard, Vunipola, Croft, O'Brien, Youngs, Farrell, Hogg

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

British & Irish Lions - the Positive Re-balancing Thread Empty Re: British & Irish Lions - the Positive Re-balancing Thread

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 02 May 2013, 8:32 am

Ye after rethink, and some intense contemplation I think the selection of Vunipola might be very good indeed!!

Stevens will do a very good job midweek, not that I'd want him near a test team but a very solid option, and less risk than the likes of Murray or Grant.

I still think a trick was missed with Ken Owens, who I wouldve selected over Hartley or Youngs, but I could also say the same about Best, maybe even Ford!

Robshaws absence is a loss, but Croft and Lydiate are far more dynamic than him, and both offer differing options.

The big key issue is that Sexton has to be wrapped up in cotton wool, but is also desperate for gametime, if he gets nobbled it's big trouble for the lions, I think we'll definately see Laidlaw or Biggar fly out though if Wilkinson isn't an option, probably even before the HK game!

All in all though it is a very talented squad with plenty, and I mean plenty of pace and power!! I would go as far to say that although not a naturally talented squad it might be the most destructive on the planet, if Grey and Evans/AWJ/Parling get the lineout going well, the scrumm should be dominant and the back row battle will be so key, without Pocock Aus are a different team there too!!

I know ive said this before but I cannot wait to see a backline of...

Phillips
Sexton
North
Roberts
Tuilagi
Cuthbert
Kearney

notworthy

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 02 May 2013, 9:35 am

I recall a comment that the standard Welsh backline weighs almost the same if not more than their forwards. Bluesman - you have certainly picked the sledgehammer option in each case there.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 02 May 2013, 9:41 am

George Carlin wrote:I recall a comment that the standard Welsh backline weighs almost the same if not more than their forwards. Bluesman - you have certainly picked the sledgehammer option in each case there.

Tell me theres not a small part of you that is curious to see how that backline worked out???

Also the welsh backline would weigh nowhere near the pack, for a start theres only 7 of them, and guys like Jones, Evans, Charteris, all weigh a ton!! The backline is taller rather than heavy, heavy for a backline mind!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 02 May 2013, 9:42 am

Is Bowe back to form?

Was he not injured?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 02 May 2013, 9:44 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I recall a comment that the standard Welsh backline weighs almost the same if not more than their forwards. Bluesman - you have certainly picked the sledgehammer option in each case there.

Tell me theres not a small part of you that is curious to see how that backline worked out???

Also the welsh backline would weigh nowhere near the pack, for a start theres only 7 of them, and guys like Jones, Evans, Charteris, all weigh a ton!! The backline is taller rather than heavy, heavy for a backline mind!!!

I think that they aggregated on a man for man basis when comparing weights.

There's a very, very large part of me that is curious to see how that backline would work out.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 02 May 2013, 9:50 am

George Carlin wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

I think that they aggregated on a man for man basis when comparing weights.

There's a very, very large part of me that is curious to see how that backline would work out.

Then maybe it would be pretty close, Warbs, Lydiate and Jenkins are pretty light for their positions.

I say give the Baa Baa's a taste of true brutality...

Cole
Hibbard
Healy
Evans
Parling
SOB
Warbs
Heaslip
Phillips
Sexton
North
Roberts
Tuilagi
Cuthbert
Hogg

OUCH!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 02 May 2013, 9:59 am

the scrumm should be dominant and the back row battle will be so key, without Pocock Aus are a different team there too!!

Dont worry Michael Hooper etc will make sure he isnt missed much at all...that boy can play! How do they keep producing these conveyor belts of world class 7's....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 02 May 2013, 10:02 am

The aussies have plenty of talent in the backrow, Deans' biggest challenge will be to figure out who will be the best combinations.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 02 May 2013, 10:07 am

And they will be new combinations!!!

Pocock open and Higginbottom blind is tried and tested, a solid 8 fits into that unit, however Hiiginbottam moved to 8 and a new open and blind will be hard to gel!!!

Hooper and Gill are good players, but both inexperienced at test level, and have they played together?

The Aus back row are a bit of a shambles when compared to their front row, 9, 10 axis etc...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 02 May 2013, 10:10 am

They are not THAT inexperienced. Hooper has 13 caps and Gill 8
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 02 May 2013, 10:13 am

Thats still relatively inexperienced, especially as those caps would be bench appearances?

Have either completed a tourny as first choice? Ive only seen bit parts of them on the test circuit.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 02 May 2013, 10:17 am

Hooper started in 9 of his 13 tests last year, and completed the rugby championship as a starter.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 02 May 2013, 11:02 am

I wouldn't profess to know whom Dingo will have at loose forward. Far more options than last year, even without Guns:

6 - Dennis, Quirk, Cottrell, Mowen

7 - Smith, Gill, Hooper

8 - Higgs, Auelua, Schatz, Brown

Not the most rubbish collection of players in the world, to say the least. Shocked
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 02 May 2013, 10:46 pm

In the Wales on Line site reported Dai Young is planning to get J Hook in the BaaBaas side to play against England and the Lions, should be interesting, even more if he picks other Lions and Wales rejects R Jones. M Rees, L Bryne.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 04 May 2013, 6:53 pm

Just off the top of my head, we should pick the Babas side on 606v2.

Let's' go for a backline of:

9 Nikola Matawalu
10 Luke MacAllister
11 Andrew Trimble
12 Wesley Fofana
13 Aurelien Rougerie
14 Sitiveni Sivivatu
15 Lee Byrne

That would give the Lions backline something to think about.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 04 May 2013, 7:55 pm

After Treviso's hammering of the Scarlets last night I think we should be calling up a few Italians to the Baa Baas
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 May 2013, 8:22 pm

George Carlin wrote:Just off the top of my head, we should pick the Babas side on 606v2.

Let's' go for a backline of:

9 Nikola Matawalu
10 Luke MacAllister
11 Andrew Trimble
12 Wesley Fofana
13 Aurelien Rougerie
14 Sitiveni Sivivatu
15 Lee Byrne

That would give the Lions backline something to think about.

Isn't the Baa Baas game in Hong Kong? If so, I expect them to pick more players from the SH rather than Europe. If not, then yes Europe all the way!

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 04 May 2013, 8:58 pm

Lions Tour Fixture Summary

Date... Kick off (local time) Kick off (UK and Ireland)
Sat June 1 19.30 Barbarians, Hong Kong Stadium, Hong Kong 12.30
Wed June 5 18.00 Western Force, nib Stadium, Perth 11.00
Sat June 8 19.30 Queensland Reds, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane 10.30
Tue June 11 19.30 NSW-QLD Country XV, Hunter Stadium, Newcastle 10.30
Sat June 15 19.30 NSW Waratahs, Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney 10.30
Tue June 18 19.30 ACT Brumbies, Canberra Stadium, Canberra 10.30
Sat June 22 20.00 1st TEST AUSTRALIA, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane 11.00
Tue June 25 19.30 Melbourne Rebels, AAMI Park, Melbourne 10.30
Sat June 29 20.00 2nd TEST AUSTRALIA, Etihad Stadium, Melbourne 11.00
Sat July 6 20.00 3rd TEST AUSTRALIA, ANZ Stadium, Sydney 11.00

UK and Ireland:
All matches will be shown live on Sky Sports and Sky Sports HD as well as Sky Go, their online media player. Talksport will be providing live UK radio commentary of all matches including the test matches.

Australia:
All matches will be shown on Foxtel

South Africa:
All matches will be shown on Supersport

New Zealand:
All matches will be shown on Sky Sports NZ

Asia:
Setanta Sports will be the exclusive broadcaster for the tour in Asia. All matches will be shown live on Setanta Sports. Check here for details

Excellent times for us 10.30am to 11.00am on a Saturday that's gotta be good
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 04 May 2013, 10:46 pm

I'm fairly sure Nick Evans has been handed the 10 shirt for the BaaBaas.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sat 04 May 2013, 11:44 pm

Will most likely see a team of

Jenkins
Hibbard
Jones
Evans
Jones
Lydiate
Warburton
Faletau

Phillips
North
Sexton
Roberts
Davies
Cuthbert
Halfpenny

Auzzie will never have faced or beaten such a team especially in recent years Whistle

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 05 May 2013, 2:09 am

sirtidychris wrote:Will most likely see a team of

Jenkins Doh
Hibbard Doh
Jones
Evans Doh
Jones Doh
Lydiate
Warburton
Faletau Doh
Phillips
Sexton
North
Roberts Doh
Davies
Cuthbert Doh
Halfpenny Doh

Auzzie will never have faced or beaten such a team especially in recent years Whistle

Groundhog Day!!!

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 05 May 2013, 2:09 am

Smile Oh dear, way too many Welsh in that side. kiss

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 05 May 2013, 2:10 am

That's much better, Fly. guinness thumbsup

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down