The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst weekend of the season for Welsh rugby?

+14
Allty
BuzzScarlet
Taffineastbourne
The Saint
international197
ScarletSpiderman
LeinsterFan4life
BigTrevsbigmac
maestegmafia
GLove39
Cardiff Dave
Breadvan
Notch
wales606
18 posters

Go down

Worst weekend of the season for Welsh rugby? Empty Worst weekend of the season for Welsh rugby?

Post by wales606 Fri 03 May 2013, 9:37 pm

Scarlets 17 - 41 Treviso - -24
Ulster 37 - 13 Blues - -24
Leinster 37 - 19 Ospreys - -18
Edinburgh 31 - 24 Dragons - -7

A total points difference of 73 points against the Welsh regions!

Treviso, Leinster and Ulster all getting TBP against the Welsh

Conceding 15 tries in the 4 games and scoring 8
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Worst weekend of the season for Welsh rugby? Empty Re: Worst weekend of the season for Welsh rugby?

Post by Notch Fri 03 May 2013, 9:41 pm

Flip- Scarlets playing for a semi-final and they get beaten by 40 points? Certainly the preferable choice to play them not Glasgow.

Ulster were far from perfect, we were ring rusty and turned around behind at half-time so two sides with a lot of room for improvement. Certainly I'll be hoping Ulster lift it up a gear or two in terms of performance.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Worst weekend of the season for Welsh rugby? Empty Re: Worst weekend of the season for Welsh rugby?

Post by Breadvan Fri 03 May 2013, 9:44 pm

Bit of a tall order for the O's tho, at Leinster. We've paid for it with our poor start to the season. Scarlets scraping into the Play offs and seasons to forget for the Blues and Dragons. Roll on Sep 1st!
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 03 May 2013, 10:58 pm

Meaning Cardiff finish below Connacht AND Treviso in the league. How far we have fallen.
Never mind 606, the rumour is we'll be playing in a hooped shirt next season. Could be blue and black too, or quarters even.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 03 May 2013, 11:55 pm

SrumV should be a barrel of laughs this weekend...

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 04 May 2013, 1:05 am

I guess they ill be focussing on the Lions Squad and not the regions...!

Good luck scarlets for the Semis

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 04 May 2013, 6:56 am

Sextons form looks good but not so sure about the other Lions on show?

At least no injuries so far.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 04 May 2013, 12:22 pm

Cannot believe the Scarlets result. Treviso are improving at such a quick rate its scary.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 04 May 2013, 1:36 pm

Scarlets were woeful. We failed to catch, pass or tackle with anywhere near the skill of a semi pro side. That said Treviso pounced on every slip up we made, and rightly recieved all the clapping off the Scarlets fans after their lap of honour. Also that was the worst I have see George North has ever played. If he doesn't sort himself out the Saints will be giving the Scarlets another wad of cash to take him back.

The Ospreys were on an impossible mission and still seem to be missing a full backline.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 04 May 2013, 1:59 pm

The Ospreys were good considering all their injuries. Aly Wyn Jones had a stormer.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Sat 04 May 2013, 2:52 pm

I believe the Scarlets will pick themselves up on Monday, I think they will work hard, I think there will be lots of competition for places and I feel they will go to Ulster. I want them to enjoy themselves and play a simple, steady game next Friday. I thought Treviso were good last night and I think they're capable of finishing in the top six next season.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 04 May 2013, 4:02 pm

It was most certanily the worst weekend for the Welsh in the domestic league for as long as I can remember. The body language between the players of the Scarlets and the players from Treviso was total opposite, no urgency at all from the men wearing scarlet. That was a great result for Treviso, they aren't far off challenging for a play-off spot in my opinion.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 May 2013, 5:39 pm

The only result that surprises me is the Scarlets one. Ospreys were always up against it at Leinster. Ulster have been tearing it up this season and the Blues have been mainly gash so no surprise there. The Dragons were within a score of Edinburgh and we're always poor away from home, so no surprise there. Scarlets got humped at home by Treviso - bit of a surprise.

A bad weekend certainly, but only one shock for me, and only because of the size of the score at Parc y Scarlets. I can always see Treviso sneaking an away win these days, but a massive score is progress...

Not that we should brush it aside, of course. Something drastic needs to be done. Even the usually very passionate Scarlets fans seemed to be booing their own team last night. More weekends like that and even the diehards may turn their backs.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 04 May 2013, 5:47 pm

Griff I didn't notice any booing as such. General concensus was we were too nervous. But as you said that was the only shock result.

On the plus side after the game our announcer pointed out we are the top region this season, our under 18 & 16 teams won their championships, and our under 18s ladies did too. But even that doesn't stop the prison shaming by Treviso from ruining the wekend
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 May 2013, 6:49 pm

It was when a try was scored. Only noticed it once. Maybe they were booing the try being scored? As in, maybe some fans thought it shouldn't have been a try? Not sure. It was on on TV, but I could be mistaken. Just jumped out at me and I thought, crikey as they booing their own team???!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 May 2013, 7:06 pm

Rugby dreamer said there was noticeable booing. These things happen. Whilst the Scarlets fans undoubtedly respected Treviso, they wouldn't have expected that. I don't see the harm in reminding your players that they've let paying supporters down.

Personally, I don't boo at games, because if the Dragons play poorly like that I am just too gutted to do anything. I can understand why some would do it though.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 04 May 2013, 8:08 pm

Oh yeah actually remember that now might have been the bp try when about 50% of the stadium upped and left.

Rev, I am stuck in the south stand which is pretty quiet and timid, but I believe Dreamer is, or definately used to be, in the North where the beer flows more and the voices are louder.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat 04 May 2013, 8:33 pm

I thought that I picked up some booing but as the commentators made no reference I assumed that I had misheard.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzScarlet Sat 04 May 2013, 8:47 pm

I was at sat in the north stand for last nights game and there were several occasions when I heard booing, one of which was when the stadium announcer said that George North had left the field, by the crowds reaction not many we're disappointed in him going off!

BuzzScarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 04 May 2013, 9:10 pm

I stand corrected, yes George was booed off the feild, he was god awful. That said he had a huge cheer when he collected his leaving gift afterwards.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by BuzzScarlet Sat 04 May 2013, 9:22 pm

To be honest I thought George being booed off was harsh but as u say, he was awfull but so were the rest of the team last night, a massive improvement is needed on Friday night!!!

BuzzScarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Sat 04 May 2013, 10:08 pm

Reading this thread are the regional rugby supporters getting more like the footy fans of old.

I hope not

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 04 May 2013, 10:15 pm

Allty wrote:Reading this thread are the regional rugby supporters getting more like the footy fans of old.

I hope not

Too right were oranising riots and being banned from eurooean competitions because we are violent thugs.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 04 May 2013, 10:17 pm

BuzzScarlet wrote:To be honest I thought George being booed off was harsh but as u say, he was awfull but so were the rest of the team last night, a massive improvement is needed on Friday night!!!

Things can not really get worse, maybe it will be the kick in the jacksee the boys need to ensure the focus properly on friday and keep their emotions in check.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Sun 05 May 2013, 2:52 am

Really surprised by the scarlet result. Scarlet a team at home needing a win to be sure of a playoff V treviso away and nothing to play for (a win or a loss wouldn't have changed there league position) checked betfair before the game about £9000 bet but only about £20 was onteviso take speaks volumes about how much of a surprise result it was. Not only did they beat scarlets they well beat them, on BBC is says scarlet were booed of and from my point of view that's disappointing. Ok they lost a game that everyone expected them to win, but they still made the play offs surley we should be looking at the positives. Scarlet are now one of only 4 teams that can win the PRO 12.

I like the scarlets and as an Ulster fan find the rivalry outside the provinces the one with scarlets the best, so looking forward to the playoff. Disappointed the scarlet fans booed their team but in a must win game getting beat so comprensivaly by a team with nothing to play for esp when building up for the biggest game left in the season must be hard to take but doesn't justify booing.

Anyway really looking forward to play off. And even more really looking forward to seeing treviso next season.
They lose maybe the most players during integration windows, even more than leinster. They are looking Burton and a few other players, so looking how they result in the summer. If cardiff blues think they will be challenging for a play off place or top 6 next season treviso are even better placed to do so.

Scarlets are losing a number of players next year, do scarlets fans hope for playoffs again next year given that munster, treviso, Connacht, Edinburgh and Cardiff are all improving or hoping to make the playoffs. And I can't see Ulster, Leinster or Glasgow getting any weaker.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 05 May 2013, 6:36 pm

Any truth in the rumour going around that the Scarlets have problems paying squad wages? That may explain Friday's performance!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 05 May 2013, 7:37 pm

Seagultaf wrote:Any truth in the rumour going around that the Scarlets have problems paying squad wages? That may explain Friday's performance!

Can't see how that could be true with the Northampton money!!

Just saw the highlights on Scrum V, what a load of amateur mistakes made by Welsh regions this weekend, balls bouncing through legs, 10 points conceded with 2 extra players, tries scored from simple pick and goes, a fullback and wing clattering each other to gift a try...

It is so difficult being a Welsh rugby supporter except for the odd weekend every few years!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 05 May 2013, 9:29 pm

Allty wrote:Reading this thread are the regional rugby supporters getting more like the footy fans of old.

I hope not

Fighting, bad language etc at the MS yesterday apparently, according to some Ponty fans;

http://www.ponty.net/terracetalk

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 05 May 2013, 9:52 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Meaning Cardiff finish below Connacht AND Treviso in the league. How far we have fallen.
and we scored less tries than any other team.
http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/table.php

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 05 May 2013, 10:24 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

I hope not

Fighting, bad language etc at the MS yesterday apparently, according to some Ponty fans;

What do you expect, it's Ponty and Neath fans.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 05 May 2013, 10:27 pm

The Saint wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

I hope not

What do you expect, it's Ponty and Neath fans.

It might have on the pitch though. I'll have to check.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon 06 May 2013, 10:24 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:Any truth in the rumour going around that the Scarlets have problems paying squad wages? That may explain Friday's performance!

Can't see how that could be true with the Northampton money!!

Just saw the highlights on Scrum V, what a load of amateur mistakes made by Welsh regions this weekend, balls bouncing through legs, 10 points conceded with 2 extra players, tries scored from simple pick and goes, a fullback and wing clattering each other to gift a try...

It is so difficult being a Welsh rugby supporter except for the odd weekend every few years!!!

The Northampton money is £250k at most, and I an unsure whether it has been paid yet. I suspect the rumour is based on the fact that the Scarlets lost £1.3M in their last year of trading and now have to renegotiate their credit terms for next season.

I agree that the Scarlets made lost of silly mistakes, but there was also a lack of appetite and enthusiasm which certainly contributed to their woes. They have well beaten the Blues and Glasgow in their last 2 games, there must be a reason behind this sudden and extreme drop in form.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 07 May 2013, 4:35 pm

The Valleys is back on Tv....
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 07 May 2013, 4:50 pm

munkian wrote:The Valleys is back on Tv....

Those twins are like a pair of Chris Ashton's. It is all fictional though, and not believable in the slightest. Dear god MTV what the feic have you done.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down