The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matt O'Connor new Leinster Coach

+18
GunsGerms
Gibson
nathan
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Golden
formerly known as Sam
profitius
Pm76
Feckless Rogue
LondonTiger
Sin é
MrsP
SecretFly
LeinsterFan4life
Portnoy's Complaint
mickyt
MDB
Artful_Dodger
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Matt O'Connor new Leinster Coach Empty Matt O'Connor new Leinster Coach

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 6 May - 21:57

What do Leinster fans think?

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/9784.php#.UYeMcrXT_To

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Matt O'Connor new Leinster Coach Empty Re: Matt O'Connor new Leinster Coach

Post by MDB Mon 6 May - 22:01

Know next to nothing about this guy, but Leicester arent exactly the type of club who hire chumps, so hopefully he will do a good job. Leinster have succeeded with relatively unknown coaches in Cheika and Joe previously and he is joining a strong squad (although losing Isa, Sexton and possibly Bod/Cullen will obviously make it a little tougher) with a great set up.

MDB

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Mon 6 May - 22:07

I would be of the same opinion as MDB. I don't know a terrible amount about the guy but if he has been playing a part in keeping Leicster in the higher end of the English game then I think we should be ok.

I think the fact that we are losing Sexton, Van De Merwe, Conway, Brown, Fionn Carr, Isa, Hagan does make it difficult if he is needs to rebuild a bit more next season that people might think he isn't up to scratch unless we are going for the HC final again.

Time will tell on this one but I have faith..
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 6 May - 22:08

Merge the threads https://www.606v2.com/t43609-matt-o-connor-to-leinster-job
I'm not bothered by losing O'Connor at all.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 6 May - 22:14

"Matt then spend a day with the players talking about how he structures the game offensively and defensively and how he see/wants Leinster to play. The players gave a full thumbs up to Matt and that was that..It was generally felt that Matt ideas are amazingly close to Joe.."

I'm pretty happy with him but a 3 year deal is risky.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 6 May - 22:16

My reservations would curl around the strange idea that Leinster are taking a coach who isn't exactly going to be missed at Leicester by all accounts, going on the number of comments I've read from Leicester supporters...to which you can add Grey! Wink Schmidt was headhunted, O'Connor seems to have been already waiting at the airport with his bags already packed by Leicester fans.

He must have made a very strong case for himself because Leicester mightn't hire clumps but neither do Leinster. But it seems there is a diversity of opinion on this guy.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 6 May - 22:19

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
"Matt then spend a day with the players talking about how he structures the game offensively and defensively and how he see/wants Leinster to play. The players gave a full thumbs up to Matt and that was that..It was generally felt that Matt ideas are amazingly close to Joe.."

Well Joe himself might have had an input in O'Connor being up for the job in the first place... But some Leicester fans were saying he didn't do the business for them at the higest level (in Europe)...fine for League but the extra percentage for Europe not there.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 6 May - 22:19

LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Quotes. I'm always interested in quotes.

source LF4l?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 6 May - 22:33

A couple of thoughts.

(1) Boy, that was quick!

(2) How do you decide which of your coaching team is ,

"...didn't do the business for them at the higest level (in Europe)...fine for League but the extra percentage for Europe not there.."

How do you know whether it's your head coach or your DofR who is holding you back?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 6 May - 22:35

Could there be the potential for O'Connor not being able to deliver his game plan to its true extent at Tigers because of the role of Richard Cockerill?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 6 May - 22:37

It was a quote from a guy on Leinsterfans grey by the name of ror, who always provides the inside information on Leinster. He is the most crediable source online.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 6 May - 22:37

MrsP wrote:A couple of thoughts.

(1) Boy, that was quick!

"...didn't do the business for them at the higest level (in Europe)...fine for League but the extra percentage for Europe not there.."

How do you know whether it's your head coach or your DofR who is holding you back?

My thoughts exactly, I don't rate Cockerill and I think some Tigers fans are a bit quick to say that O'Connor hasn't delivered in Europe when the main man on their coaching team is clearly Cockerill. He picks the team, does all the interviews and is constantly in the lime light whilst O'Connor is nowhere to be seen. To be honest I didn't know of O'Connor's role at Tigers until he was linked with Leinster.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 6 May - 22:38

I just assumed Cockerill was Head Coach.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 6 May - 22:42

He has an impressive CV. Coaching at Australia A, Brumbies and Leicester. So he has plenty if experience.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 6 May - 22:42

Artful_Dodger wrote:Could there be the potential for O'Connor not being able to deliver his game plan to its true extent at Tigers because of the role of Richard Cockerill?

It might easily be the case Dodger.

Fact is I don't know. I doubt that anyone does.

Cockers' tendency is to plough money into the pack. It would be interesting to see how MOC would have done if not constrained by a wage cap.

I guess perhaps we'll soon be able to form an opinion.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 6 May - 22:52

MrsP wrote:A couple of thoughts.

(1) Boy, that was quick!

I don't make those decisions at all Mrs P - certainly not for another group of fans in a League I don't watch too much of. But when fans speak that way, I listen. I listened...and related my listening to this thread.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 6 May - 22:57

Artful_Dodger wrote:I just assumed Cockerill was Head Coach.

There goes the curse of a.................. well let's just say an overly visible............ Director of Rugby. Most people begin to think he does everything, from talking, buying and promoting,to the actual tactics on the field itself.

I always like a clear distinction. The man you see at club headquarters in a suit - Director. The man you see with the team, in the stands with the computer screens, with the microphone headset etc, on the training ground - the Head Coach.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 6 May - 22:59

Secret,

I wasn't aiming my question at you at all or doubting what you said. Merely wondering how "one" separates the contributions of those 2 roles. I dare say the players and the rest of the coaching staff would have a good idea who or what may be holding any team back but I'm not sure how fans tease that out.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 6 May - 23:02

Oh, and, by your definition and having sat a few feat from him at Ravenhill, I would say that Cockerill definately falls into the "Head Coach" category.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 6 May - 23:09

MrsP wrote:Secret,

I wasn't aiming my question at you at all or doubting what you said. Merely wondering how "one" separates the contributions of those 2 roles. I dare say the players and the rest of the coaching staff would have a good idea who or what may be holding any team back but I'm not sure how fans tease that out.

I don't know how they tease it all out Mrs P...but it did scare the bejeepers out of me when I first heard them say it.

Leinster are in a fragile place at the moment with Nacewa going, with Sexton going, with O'Driscoll maybe going and maybe not going!!! ... with the Head Coach going and after falling off the pace so much at the beginning of this season and through to the knock out at the HC pool stage.
Nervous times, and in that mood you always want to hear favourable things about the incoming coach - especially from the outgoing fans! Wink When I didn't hear those words of endorsement I began to worry that this might be a little rushed.

Anyway, an interview by Ben Kay kinda put my mind at rest as he suggests O'Connor was actually a 'big part of Richard Cockerill's success' as Director of Rugby.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 6 May - 23:10

MrsP wrote:Oh, and, by your definition and having sat a few feat from him at Ravenhill, I would say that Cockerill definately falls into the "Head Coach" category.

That's a Director of Rugby Playing at being Head Coach,Mrs P Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 6 May - 23:17

Fans generally haven't a clue. A good example is Laurie Fisher (used be Munster's Forwards coach). He wasn't rated by the Munster fans, some even would claim that he had lost the dressing room and wasn't really coaching the side anymore and that Axel had taken over the forwards coaching.

The Munster players rave about him being a super coach. He is now the Forwards Coach with the Brumbies and contrary to what everyone thought, enjoyed his time so much with Munster he came on his holidays last year for his holidays and never stops tweeting about what a great club Munster and its supporters are. Stephen Moore said he would like to play for Munster because Laurie Fisher never stops talking about what a great club it is.

Now if you were to believe what was posted on forums about Laurie, you'd swear that the players & Munster didn't rate him at all and couldn't wait to see the back of him.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 6 May - 23:18

Indeed!

I'm not sure who else was there apart from a couple of lads with lap tops, one enormous Tuilagi and his rather amorous friend.

I suppose your man O'Connor must have been down pitch side.

Hopefully he will be able to show his worth once he gets out from under the control of Cockerill.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 6 May - 23:18

Like others here I really don't know much about O'Conner, but just from reading a few articles it appears he is a coach similar to Joe Schmidt.
Seems that the Tigers wanted to extend his contract with them, but negotiations broke down, and so freeing him for the Leinster job.
Have only read the one comment from a Tigers fan, outside of 606, on the 'Leicester Mercury', and that fan describes O'Conners departure as 'a sad day'.
I'm sure Leinster have done their homework on this, and fully expect O'Conner to be a very good signing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 6 May - 23:20

Didn't I read somewhere he was interviewed by Heaslip, BOD & Leo. Blame them if it all goes wrong.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 6 May - 23:29

Sin é wrote:Didn't I read somewhere he was interviewed by Heaslip, BOD & Leo. Blame them if it all goes wrong.

Yes, I read that as well. Think it was the Irish Times, although they go on to say that BOD, Leo and Heaslip didn't have the final say. Same protocol applied when selecting Schmidt.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 6 May - 23:44

Sin é wrote:Didn't I read somewhere he was interviewed by Heaslip, BOD & Leo. Blame them if it all goes wrong.

Sexton and Leo alone virtually got Schmidt's signature on the dotted line. Don't knock player power, Sin Wink...afterall wasn't it Keith Wood who got rid of Gatland?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 6 May - 23:59

PRL rules state that the head honcho is called DoR - what they actually do varies from club to club.

Matt O'Connor was technically Head Coach - but in reality was the backs/attack coach. For me he has done a decent job at Tigers (yet again we were leading try scorers in the AP this season) but I do feel that all coaches have a shelf life at a particular club. MoC may not have quite reached that point, but it was coming. The biggest complaint from Leicester fans is that we have not seen academy backs coming through. Whether that is O'Connors or cockers fault who knows.

The other quibble is that a lot of our rhearsed attacking ploys either involve an inside pass to the blindside winger coming on a diagonal - or using Manu as the decoy.

Leicester tend to attack well from turnovers but at times struggle to break down organised defences - O'Connor has some responsibility for both of these.

This is a period of change for Leinster - a new coach is not a bad idea, and I have a sneaky feeling he will do well for you - who is your forwards coach?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 7 May - 0:02

How much of Leinsters brilliance is down to Joe Scmidt? I'd say quite a bit. Look at the difference between Leinster in 2010 and 2011. Same players, but a massive improvement in the team.

I think Schmidt did a brilliant job and will be a hard act to follow.

But hopefully we'll still have Gibbes, who's been the constant forwards coach throughout all our success in Cheicka and Schmidts reigns.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pm76 Tue 7 May - 0:11

Tigers fan here, normally post on our offy but lurk here occasionally.
I’m quite pleased to see O’Connor go, our backs and attack have cost us in the past two years. I thought Cockerill’s downfall would be sticking by O’Connor but Cockers has been saved really. The backs are certainly less well coached than the forwards and if O’Connor coaches a back line without such a good pack of forwards he will struggle IMO. Against half-decent defences our attack is easily readable, collision centred and predictable. The quality of first phase moves is shocking, while the lack of academy/ young player progression in the backs has been poor.

Surprised Leinster want him as Head Coach to be honest but they must see something in him and I wish him all the best, surely it’s now guaranteed to be Leinster and Leicester in the same HC pool next year!!

Tigers do score a lot of tries, most in the prem this year, and have a good defence, which is second best in the prem this year. And while O’Connor has been with Cockers we’ve had:
2 Prem Titles
1 HC final
2 Prem Runner’s ups
1 LV cup
2 HC Qfs
in almost 5 seasons, with the possibility of another final/ title this year. So O’Connor has a pretty good record.

I think O’Connor going to Leinster will let Leicester fans see if he is just isn’t a top quality coach or if Cockers was holding him back a little. Personally I think it’s the former.

As for the Head Coach/ DOR thing, O’Connor is effectively backs/ attack coach and Cockers is a Head Coach who also deals with recruitment/ contracts etc. while also coaching the forwards. Hopefully Tigers can sign Mauger/ Gibson up sharpish.

Pm76

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 7 May - 0:17

Feckless Rogue wrote:How much of Leinsters brilliance is down to Joe Scmidt? I'd say quite a bit. Look at the difference between Leinster in 2010 and 2011. Same players, but a massive improvement in the team.

But hopefully we'll still have Gibbes, who's been the constant forwards coach throughout all our success in Cheicka and Schmidts reigns.

Thats true. Cheika was rated as a good coach but Schmidt took the team onto another level. O'Connor has a hard act to follow.

Is the new boss going to be around the Leinster squad for a few weeks before Schmidt leaves?
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 7 May - 0:28

profitius wrote:
Feckless Rogue wrote:How much of Leinsters brilliance is down to Joe Scmidt? I'd say quite a bit. Look at the difference between Leinster in 2010 and 2011. Same players, but a massive improvement in the team.

Thats true. Cheika was rated as a good coach but Schmidt took the team onto another level. O'Connor has a hard act to follow.

Is the new boss going to be around the Leinster squad for a few weeks before Schmidt leaves?
Jeff final is only a couple of weeks away profitus. There might be a week or so handover period I suppose.

But I'd suspect that Joe would want to be getting on with his IRFU challenge pretty sharpish.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 7 May - 0:47

Rumours I've heard are that Cockers and MOC are very good friends and Cockers was the main force behind his continued retention at Tigers. Certain members of the board and playing squad are not such fans. Dan Bowden's u-turn and decision to stay coming in the same week MOC was unofficially given the Leinster job.

He's a good coach and helped bring good attacking continuity structures to Tigers but at the same time we've seen limited development from the academy and an over reliance om individual ability from the largely international backline.

The top job may well suit him if there's specialist forwards and backs coaches that know the club on hand to implement his structures.

Mauger seems en route to Tigers and it was his combination with Geordan that ran the backline (both on and off the park) that led us to the 2009 HEC final. Interestingly MOC was rumoured to be unhappy with Geordie joining the coaching time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 7 May - 0:56

I don't think that its an attack coach's job to bring through academy players though..

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Pm76 Tue 7 May - 1:27

LeinsterFan4life wrote:I don't think that its an attack coach's job to bring through academy players though..

It's not but when Leicester fans have seen T.Youngs, Balmain, Mullipola, Cole, Slater, Kitchener, Parling, Salvi, Mafi etc. improve massively in the forwards and only really Morris, Thompstone and Manu come through in the backs over the same period there has to be some correlation between the lack of players coming through and the quality of the coaching in the different departments.

Pm76

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 7 May - 1:35

Cockers looks after the forwards and MOC the backs. We've seen decidedly less opportunities given to academy backs then academy forwards. Cockers controls the set pieces with Blaze taking on a lot of work on the lineout. MOC's ideas have helped plan the attacking tactics and is assisted by Burke who also is the kicking coach.

Murphy is supposed to be taking on a role as skills coach working with the first team and academy backs but whether that is part time or not depends on whether he signs on for one more year of playing.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 7 May - 1:35

Its hard to produce top backs and forwards at the same time though. Even at Leinster we are currently really struggling to produce backs but we have plenty of good young forwards coming through.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 7 May - 2:21

Is Morris rated highly at Leicester?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 7 May - 2:29

He's come on a lot since he pitched up at WR. I wouldn't be surprised if MOC wanted to tempt him back although his recently extended contract makes it unlikely in the near-term.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 7 May - 3:04

Morris turned down a contract with Leinster in order to sign an extension at Tigers. He's improved nicely, he was always solid under the high ball and a good tackler with some pace. His ability to come into the line, kick excellent touch finders and use some foot work to exploit a gap have come on nicely. The way Morris and Tait kick is extremely reminiscent of Murphy, I suspect he does a lot of individual skills work with the back three players.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 7 May - 7:11

Mick Dawson confirmed that O'Driscoll is seeking a one year extension to his national contract

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 7 May - 7:27

No more signings for Leinster if BOD stays... I'm really worried that we can't afford anyone even with some of the highest attendences in Europe and winning the last 2 HC's

If we can't afford players now, how will we ever afford them? And we could do with another back 3 player.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 7 May - 7:39

LeinsterFan4life wrote:No more signings for Leinster if BOD stays... I'm really worried that we can't afford anyone even with some of the highest attendences in Europe and winning the last 2 HC's

If we can't afford players now, how will we ever afford them? And we could do with another back 3 player.

How can you not afford more players when your wage bill next season will be significantly less than this season with Nacewa and Sexton leaving. As well as others like Conway....doesn't add up.

Last edited by Artful_Dodger on Tue 7 May - 7:40; edited 1 time in total

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 7 May - 7:39

All thats brought in so far is Kirchner and Gopperth, they won't be getting anything like what Sexton and Nacewa were on.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 7 May - 7:41

Huge RDS rent bills doesn't help.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 7 May - 7:45

I think we are going to need some back3 cover (even of low quality) as we are really running low.

Kearney, Kearney Jr, Fitz, McFadden, Kirshner.

That is nowhere near enough back 3 cover and then there is a long way down to get to guys like Boyle and Hudson

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 7 May - 7:46

Artful_Dodger wrote:All thats brought in so far is Kirchner and Gopperth, they won't be getting anything like what Sexton and Nacewa were on.

Also McCarthy. I'd say Kirshner and Nacewa are going to be on similar wages

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 7 May - 7:50

Will Fitz be back for the start of the season? We desperately need an injury free year from him

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 7 May - 7:54

Most people see saying no Golden. They are saying it could be Christmas.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 7 May - 8:04

Oh god. Poor fella. He's had an absolute torrid time with them.

So we'll be really short in the back 3 at the beginning of the season. Kearney will be rested from the lions as will O'Driscoll so McFadden will likely play more in the centre

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next