The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mick Foley in Derby, my perspective

4 posters

Go down

Mick Foley in Derby, my perspective Empty Mick Foley in Derby, my perspective

Post by Uryu Ishida Mon 06 May 2013, 1:19 pm

Hi all, I went to go see the Mick Foley show in Derby last night ( may 5th) and I thought I would I would share my experiences.

I arrived at the Assembly Rooms just under 2 hours before showtime and thought I would be the first one there since I was travelling from Nottingham by bus. Turns out I wasn't and an ameteur wrestler called Russ had been there since 10am and he was wearing a Cactus Jack T-shirt. We ended up talking about our best Foley moments and he got his ticket upgraded so he sat 1 row behind me and 1 seat to the right. We were suprised about how many were left available and how empty the place seemed as I thought it was a sell out. The main doors opened at 6:30 and we chatted about the possibility of memrobelia at the show until around 7:15 when the doors to the stage opened and we all entered and sat down and I was an aisle seat. The 2 next to me were empty as I saw nearly 100 seats in the place unfilled. I was row 7 and 8-13 had about 40 people at most on the floor and there were 15 people on the balconies. We also saw a child in a wheelchair with tubes on his face and his mum was with him and it was so sweet seeing Foley chat with him at the meet and greet. At 7:30 the lights went down....

Craig Cambell

He introduced himself and had a lot of fun with where we lived, people coming from Liverpool and Dudley before he starte with the difference in police forces between the UK and Canada, involving guns, a boat thief, magic mushrooms and drinking Baileys as well as Gin in front of airport security. His set seemed pretty short but it got us in the mood to laugh and boy we were gonna be tested.

Brendon Burns

Fandangoing out to the stage Smile These were the first few lines he said ( to the best of my memory).

"If you are straight and a Randy Orton fan then you are gay, and not the right kind of gay. Not the marrige allowed, adopting children kind, the prison kind"

Howling laughter ensued as he went on about Orton, being a big wrestling fan, going to wrestlemanias and making The Great Khali break character in a posh accent at the o2 arena. He then went on about Khalis mum and it sent us into a riot of laughter again. It was pushing the boundries but you could tell that he enjoyed wrestling. He did drag the Khali thing a little long but it needed to be long, it was better than watching a Khali match :P He is at Edinburgh Fringe with Colt Cabana this year and I would reccommend going if you can as that will be a unique experience. Craig came back and told us intermission was coming up so I chatted with Russ about the show so far.

Intermisson

Brendon was signing his book / dvd / album ( your choice) for £10 in the lobby. I got his book signed as well as a photo with a yugioh card I asked him to sign. He was happy to sign it as I apologised to the 20 people behind me for holding them up. Russ waited for me and he was excited, I thought he was going to faint. We went back to our seats for the main event.

Mick Foley

Cambell introduced Foley...but he didn't come out so he went and introduced a local wrestling announcer but still he didn't come out so Cambell announced his 'personal ring announcer' and we all thought it was The Fink and a chant broke out. It was Jeremy Borash and I haven't seen the crowd switch to instant boo's this quick EVER. JB was sad and the crowd did not care. Foley talked about a rare experience in Germany involving The Rock, Al Snow, Steve Austin in a city's red light district and a sexual act involving a guy in a knee brace. He made a Wayne Rooney reference as well with a story. He got asked 2 questions by the crowd as well the first one was about his 19 year old daughter and boys coming around to his house and he answered involving her Fashion College having 99% gay men and then a story involving a date when she was 16 with a boy who was a Nazi on Facebook.
The second question was about Undertakers reaction when Foley proposed being thrown off the cell. Queue Kurt Angles "You Suck" chant before the guy finished his question. He answered indirectly and went on about Undertaker asking if Foley is dead after the chokeslam, and then chokeslamming Funk as well as his endurance after the bump and something mystical driving him on.
His final segment was a story about him, Austin and DDP involving cookies, DDP naked except for knee wraps and trying to kick DDP out of their hotel room. Brendon came out in just shorts and socks to play DDP as Foley refused to swear more than once. Brendan was spitting on him whilst he talked and Foley was backing away and covering up. Brendan went crazy as DDP and it felt like it abruptly ended at 9:35 as me and Russ waited for the meet and greet.

Meet and Greet

Whilst waiting for my row to be called a few of us were playing "Guess the Intro song" and talking about what we hated in wrestling. I waited 90 minutes to get my picture with Mick and get him to sign a 2nd yugioh card and it was late n he was tired but so was I as I tried to steal the next guys picture accidentally and I apologised to him afterwards before heading to the bus back to Nottingham and crashing on my bed at 1am. I was a tiny bit sad at no cheap pop but I enjoyed the show and had fun Smile Yeah I was nervous at first but when I got home and my hands were sore and I could barely talk due to laughing so hard all I could think about was "Foley is still God" .

Uryu Ishida

Back to top Go down

Mick Foley in Derby, my perspective Empty Re: Mick Foley in Derby, my perspective

Post by Mat Mon 06 May 2013, 7:42 pm

Sounds good mate.

How long was Foley's set though? Doesn't seem like it was that long from your review.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Mick Foley in Derby, my perspective Empty Re: Mick Foley in Derby, my perspective

Post by JamesLincs Mon 06 May 2013, 8:11 pm

ive heard about the cookie story. wasnt there a bet between him and stone cold on how long it would take ddp to crack? and the last straw was ddp unknowingly crushing cookies into his bed, whilst he was trying to get some sleep, because foley had put them there

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Uryu Ishida Mon 06 May 2013, 9:40 pm

JamesLincs wrote:ive heard about the cookie story. wasnt there a bet between him and stone cold on how long it would take ddp to crack? and the last straw was ddp unknowingly crushing cookies into his bed, whilst he was trying to get some sleep, because foley had put them there

It wasn't a bet from what he said, it was just that all 3 were cheapskates n disliked ddp walking around nude in kneewraps

Mat: was about an hour long but I did leave out a 1 particular story :P

Uryu Ishida

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Tue 07 May 2013, 10:13 am

yeah its part of a bet they had https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6UN1nKuXnw

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Uryu Ishida Tue 07 May 2013, 10:20 am

JamesLincs wrote:yeah its part of a bet they had https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6UN1nKuXnw

Didn't mention the towels but thats pretty much it.

Uryu Ishida

Back to top Go down

Post by rustynail Tue 07 May 2013, 3:12 pm

Hi there awesome write-up and an amazing night, was good to meet you there too.

I will add that i live about 20mins away from the theater and as i was almost home i head someone from a car yell "Bang bang" and wearing a cactus jack tshirt i thought is was just a random person and as the car pulled up alongside me i realised it was Mick Foley himself!!!

he leant out of the window and asked if i had enjoyed the show and said he appreciated the amount of people that was there.... surely this shows just how committed and passionate he is towards his fans, truely made my night and more than anything meeting him has made my life.

have a nice day,
peace and love
RUSS

rustynail

Back to top Go down

Post by Uryu Ishida Tue 07 May 2013, 5:30 pm

rustynail wrote:Hi there awesome write-up and an amazing night, was good to meet you there too.

I will add that i live about 20mins away from the theater and as i was almost home i head someone from a car yell "Bang bang" and wearing a cactus jack tshirt i thought is was just a random person and as the car pulled up alongside me i realised it was Mick Foley himself!!!

he leant out of the window and asked if i had enjoyed the show and said he appreciated the amount of people that was there.... surely this shows just how committed and passionate he is towards his fans, truely made my night and more than anything meeting him has made my life.

have a nice day,
peace and love
RUSS

God damn you are lucky!!

No quintuple santa....Sad

Uryu Ishida

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down