The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alec Stewart's Test XI

5 posters

Go down

Alec Stewart's Test XI Empty Alec Stewart's Test XI

Post by Stella Wed 08 May 2013, 8:13 am

Following on from his current world XI, Stewart has picked the best team, that he came up against during his 14 year career.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/22434892

He mentions Viv missing out as he was past his best when he started his test career but from memory, so were Greenidge and Marshall.

Anyway, a great XI.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Alec Stewart's Test XI Empty Re: Alec Stewart's Test XI

Post by KP_fan Wed 08 May 2013, 12:25 pm

Indeed a fearsome-XI...the only debatable position is Greenidge...given that Stewart is talking about those who were in his era.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 08 May 2013, 12:32 pm

KP_fan wrote:Indeed a fearsome-XI...the only debatable position is Greenidge...given that Stewart is talking about those who were in his era.

Well he was but like Marshall, past their best.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by wadey101 Wed 08 May 2013, 1:42 pm

I'd have thought he'd have had McGrath in there over Marshall.

wadey101

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 08 May 2013, 2:02 pm

There are a few debatable selections - as already stated, if Viv is excluded because he was past it by the time AS played him, then including Marshall and Greenidge is a little hypocritical.

Steve Waugh at #6? Great captain and very good batsman, but I'm not convinced he merits the place just as a player.

Otherwise, you have the eternal Warne v Murali question and arguments to be made for McGrath, Donald etc.

One scary thought - there is not a single England player from that era who would even come up for discussion against that lot.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 08 May 2013, 2:08 pm

I don't believe any of these XI can be disputed. Sir Alec Stewart (to give him his usual title at Surrey) has selected those who made the greatest impression upon him whilst he was playing. It is entirely a personal choice. You might feel others should have made more of an impression but they obviously didn't!

I campaigned strongly in support of Greenidge on the Hall of Fame thread and am pleased that Stewart clearly also holds him in such high regard.

Although he didn't make the final cut, I was also pleased to see several honorable mentions to Greenidge's opening partner Desmond Haynes. Whilst Haynes was a rung below Greenidge in the ladder of brilliance, he was still an exceptionally fine cricketer who deserves greater credit than he often now seems to be afforded.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 08 May 2013, 2:17 pm

wadey101 wrote:I'd have thought he'd have had McGrath in there over Marshall.

Me to, considering the timespan. Not overall of course. Marshall was the best.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 09 May 2013, 10:26 am

One scary thought - there is not a single England player from that era who would even come up for discussion against that lot.

That was my observation also on not a single guy fom England even in consideration.

which puts a question mark over what is the denition of the era that Stewart is considering....

He would have certrainly seen Botham.....and he was a compatriot of Flintoff...and there is no way he could not have seen and known the potential of KP.

to me those 3 are the all time-XI potential material emerging from Englnad in the last 3 decades
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 09 May 2013, 12:29 pm

KP_fan wrote:

That was my observation also on not a single guy fom England even in consideration.

which puts a question mark over what is the denition of the era that Stewart is considering....

He would have certrainly seen Botham.....and he was a compatriot of Flintoff...and there is no way he could not have seen and known the potential of KP.

to me those 3 are the all time-XI potential material emerging from Englnad in the last 3 decades

It was based on his toughest opponents in test cricket, to be fair. BUT lets be honest, none of them would have got a look in. Botham was past his best when Stewart started, as was Gower, although he wouldn't be close to that team. Flintoff was starting to do well but again, he wouldn't get in this side.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down