The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions injury watch

+14
Cyril
munkian
Golden
Seagultaf
The Saint
LondonTiger
sirtidychris
bedfordwelsh
thomh
SecretFly
maestegmafia
majesticimperialman
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
100%beefy
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lions injury watch Empty Lions injury watch

Post by 100%beefy Sun 12 May 2013, 2:41 am

BOD off after only 13 minutes with a back spasm and SOB also injured, BOD's bod is creaking so loud I hope he makes it through but i just can't see him doing so. I can't see how Gats can build a 3/4 line aorund him for that reason. Meanwhile JOC is a doubt for the Wallabies having popped his sternum (bloody ouch)

If BOD doesn't make it who would you bring in ....36 maybe? As for SOB i guess the conveniently rested Robshaw.... or Brown but i would be inclined to go with the versatility of Jones which would go with the nice Welsh themed tour

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Lions injury watch Empty Re: Lions injury watch

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 12 May 2013, 7:29 am

100%beefy wrote:BOD off after only 13 minutes with a back spasm and SOB also injured, BOD's bod is creaking so loud I hope he makes it through but i just can't see him doing so. I can't see how Gats can build a 3/4 line aorund him for that reason. Meanwhile JOC is a doubt for the Wallabies having popped his sternum (bloody ouch)

If BOD doesn't make it who would you bring in ....36 maybe? As for SOB i guess the conveniently rested Robshaw.... or Brown but i would be inclined to go with the versatility of Jones which would go with the nice Welsh themed tour

Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 12 May 2013, 7:49 am

BOD, should never had picked for the Lions in the first place my opinion. He is not the BOD off years ago, yes he as been a Legend in the game but every Legend dies away eventualy.

Regards Robshaw coming in for SOB, Robshaw is injured, ankle i think. So should not be considered. Maybe Kelly Brown might get a chance.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 12 May 2013, 7:55 am

Madge with regards to O'Driscoll, not selecting a player because you think they might get injured is ridiculous. Playing wise BOD is still the best outside centre available and constantly displays that.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun 12 May 2013, 8:10 am

maestegmafia wrote:Madge with regards to O'Driscoll, not selecting a player because you think they might get injured is ridiculous. Playing wise BOD is still the best outside centre available and constantly displays that.

If that is true we are screwed

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 12 May 2013, 8:29 am

100%beefy wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Madge with regards to O'Driscoll, not selecting a player because you think they might get injured is ridiculous. Playing wise BOD is still the best outside centre available and constantly displays that.

If that is true we are screwed

It is true...which says more about the contenders than it does about him. None of them have O'Driscoll's get-out-of-jail brain to create something when things are going badly...and that's when the real deal players prove themselves, not when things are in glorious full swing.

But maesteg is right.... not choosing someone because they are predicted to not last the pace is as baseless as picking someone because you 'know' he's going to start every test.

Nobody knows nothing as yesterday only proved. One minute you're a nailed on Lion, the next you mightn't get on the plane at all...or you might be getting a quick plane home even after a training ground injury before any test is played.

Yesterday's game was a brutal physical encounter and whatever happened early in the game in a crunch, O'Driscoll twisted or pulled something in his back. We'll see how serious it is along the way but he has been playing well enough in recent weeks to be certainly on a plane going to OZ.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 12 May 2013, 8:33 am

masetegmaifa.

I was not implying that BOD should not of been selected (because he might get injured) no i was saying that BOD has not been playing any where near his best this year. He had a good opening game during the 6ns, but has done nothing since then.

Just because BOD and Jamie Roberts formed a good partnaship the last time out. does not mean it will be the same this time out.

This could well be BOD'S last year at international rugby, but Gatland ( could not should not) have selected BOD just too give him one last send off.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sun 12 May 2013, 8:35 am

maestegmafia

I agree that not picking O'Driscoll because he might get injured would have been wrong, but I think that they've left themselves exposed here by picking him as the only "creative" centre option, when there was always a good chance that he wouldn't last the tour. The other three centres are all big physical guys, but there isn't another natural distributor or pacy centre in the squad.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 12 May 2013, 8:44 am

Jones or Robshaw for SOB 36 for BOD, that would be my choices if need be
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 12 May 2013, 8:58 am

majesticimperialman wrote:

masetegmaifa.

I was not implying that BOD should not of been selected (because he might get injured) no i was saying that BOD has not been playing any where near his best this year. He had a good opening game during the 6ns, but has done nothing since then.

He's done enough to be one of the active and real reasons for Leinster being in two finals this year - Pro12 and Amlin. He hasn't been a passenger in Leinster's games...he's been a central figure. If you're going to judge on 6N alone.................!!!!! Whistle well, that was an up and down effort from most players now - wasn't it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sun 12 May 2013, 9:12 am

I thought it was bods knee not back, meaning unlikley he will make the tour. Age doesn't matter if your good enough you should go...and he undoubtly is. If he can't make it then someone like Ian Madigan would be good.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 12 May 2013, 12:12 pm

SecretFly wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:

masetegmaifa.

He's done enough to be one of the active and real reasons for Leinster being in two finals this year - Pro12 and Amlin. He hasn't been a passenger in Leinster's games...he's been a central figure. If you're going to judge on 6N alone.................!!!!! Whistle well, that was an up and down effort from most players now - wasn't it.

I agree that BOD has been in superb form for Leinster, He was one of the few shining lights in Irelands poor six nations, but his greatest asset that no one else in the Home Nations has is his inspirational impact on raising those around him, not just through skill but through dogged determination.

That is the reason he is in the squad more than any other.

Regards a pacey centre options other than BOD, Jonathan Davies is a superb player who had a great six nations.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 12 May 2013, 12:22 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Regards a pacey centre options other than BOD, Jonathan Davies is a superb player who had a great six nations.

I would argue he had one decent game - in the title decider. After all, halfway through the competition him, his skills coiach at Scarlets and his temporary head coach for Wales were talking about him needing to learn how to pass the ball.

Roberts, Davies and Tuilagi are all very good at some things and weak at others. BOD has a better rugby brain than all 3, but a frail body. Time will tell as to who plays in the tests.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 May 2013, 12:27 pm

Hook should come in or twelve trees

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 12 May 2013, 1:44 pm

If BOD the god stays injured I would call up Twelvetrees. Hook isn't good enough and Gats might not want to disrupt the Wales squad further by taking Biggar when Priestland is injured. If Ryan Jones wasn't injured he'd be called up in heartbeat I reckon, otherwise it's probably Robshaw next in line especially as he will not be with England.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 12 May 2013, 1:48 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Hook should come in or twelve trees

Twelvetrees, Madigan, Lawson, Scott, Flood, My nan.....but please not Hook! He has been woeful for Wales for the last 2 seasons, give him a summer off to hopefully recover some degree of form.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sun 12 May 2013, 1:51 pm

SOB was touch and go if he would start the game last night so i would expect him to feature in Leinster's final couple of games and providing he doesn't pick up another knock hell be on the plane.

If BOD does bow out (I highly doubt it will be over the knock from last night) I would imagine a centre who could cover out half will get a call. Hook most likely or hopefully young Madigan Very Happy

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 12 May 2013, 1:54 pm

When is Leinster's game against Stade? I'm looking forward to that, and expect a convincing win from Leinster.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 12 May 2013, 1:55 pm

Next week

...no rest for the wicked..................

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 12 May 2013, 2:18 pm

SecretFly wrote:Next week

...no rest for the wicked..................

Then a pretty impressive looking Pro 12 finale the week after...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 12 May 2013, 2:18 pm

In my opinion BOD would of been better off doing a Johny Wilkinson rather than except the phone call for the Lions.

He ( BOD) Should of said to Gatland...Look gats thanks for the call and that, but i dont think my body could take it any more. I think it is time too give the young guns a chance too shine.

Just my opinion....do any of you agree or not?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 12 May 2013, 2:24 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:In my opinion BOD would of been better off doing a Johny Wilkinson rather than except the phone call for the Lions.

He ( BOD) Should of said to Gatland...Look gats thanks for the call and that, but i dont think my body could take it any more. I think it is time too give the young guns a chance too shine.

Disagree when he has been showing such good form since he recovered from injury. He certainly has enough in the tank to play in the tour. Unfortunately your opinion is confounded by the obvious fact you don't watch any HEC or Pro 12 rugby that involves Leinster.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 12 May 2013, 2:27 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
viewtothegym wrote:Hook should come in or twelve trees

Twelvetrees, Madigan, Lawson, Scott, Flood, My nan.....but please not Hook! He has been woeful for Wales for the last 2 seasons, give him a summer off to hopefully recover some degree of form.

clap clap clap
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 12 May 2013, 2:28 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:In my opinion BOD would of been better off doing a Johny Wilkinson rather than except the phone call for the Lions.

You forgot to add though.... "but look, I don't want to be so blunt, given that you asked me - so, if you run into troubles during the actual tests (injury wise etc) we could have a chat again"

I'd agree with that, majestic. Wilkinson said he certainly wasn't up to the extra non-test games after his season at his age, with his issues about trying to stay in one piece. I said it a few weeks ago that O'Driscoll should maybe have said the same thing. Not now, maybe later if you really need me.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 12 May 2013, 2:32 pm

SecretFly wrote:

You forgot to add though.... "but look, I don't want to be so blunt, given that you asked me - so, if you run into troubles during the actual tests (injury wise etc) we could have a chat again"

I'd agree with that, majestic. Wilkinson said he certainly wasn't up to the extra non-test games after his season at his age, with his issues about trying to stay in one piece. I said it a few weeks ago that O'Driscoll should maybe have said the same thing. Not now, maybe later if you really need me.

RC Toulon dont like their overseas internationals continuing availability for top class rugby outside the club. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilkinson, when recently re-signing for Toulon, had something in the contract negotiations that negated his availability for any rugby outside Toulon. Should he have been considered.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 12 May 2013, 2:45 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

RC Toulon dont like their overseas internationals continuing availability for top class rugby outside the club. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilkinson, when recently re-signing for Toulon, had something in the contract negotiations that negated his availability for any rugby outside Toulon. Should he have been considered.

Yeah, maesteg, but I genuinely think Wilkinson just didn't/doesn't have the 'young man's' heart for the entire tour deal anymore. I think he feels he's possibly risen above that now at his point in his career.
No not claiming to be better than the new guys but just letting Gatland know that he's not really interested in playing himself into a Test position with the lesser games... but maybe, if Galtand himself wants a particular player to close down a series, having sustained injuries to other flyhalves, well then he might consider the trip down then.

I have respect for that. Touring, the fun at the pools, the craic, the jokes, the room sharing.... it's all really a young and entusiastic player's thing. The tests are the serious bit towards the end and Wilkinson is right to say only then would he be ready to join if injuries required it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 12 May 2013, 2:50 pm

SecretFly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Yeah, maesteg, but I genuinely think Wilkinson just didn't/doesn't have the 'young man's' heart for the entire tour deal anymore. I think he feels he's possibly risen above that now at his point in his career.
No not claiming to be better than the new guys but just letting Gatland know that he's not really interested in playing himself into a Test position with the lesser games... but maybe, if Galtand himself wants a particular player to close down a series, having sustained injuries to other flyhalves, well then he might consider the trip down then.

I have respect for that. Touring, the fun at the pools, the craic, the jokes, the room sharing.... it's all really a young and entusiastic player's thing. The tests are the serious bit towards the end and Wilkinson is right to say only then would he be ready to join if injuries required it.

Fair point.

Though i would say that there is unlikely anything that Wilkinson can do that Biggar, Madigan, Hook, etc etc etc can't. He was a great International player a decade ago but he has done nothing Internationally since for the Lions or for England. His form at Toulon is good but not spectacular.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 12 May 2013, 2:58 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Fair point.

Though i would say that there is unlikely anything that Wilkinson can do that Biggar, Madigan, Hook, etc etc etc can't. He was a great International player a decade ago but he has done nothing Internationally since for the Lions or for England. His form at Toulon is good but not spectacular.

Oh I agree with you that he wouldn't be the guaranteed first call in the event of injuries. There'd be other alternatives.
But that's what I'm saying. I think he's mature enough to know all that - he knows he's held together with glue, he knows he has mucho young competition now and would only travel down IF Galtand himself made the specific choice that he was the player he wanted as replacement for tests. Meaning, he would think about it if Gatland actually asked him again.... but full tour was always going to be a no.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 12 May 2013, 5:14 pm

SecretFly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Fair point.

Oh I agree with you that he wouldn't be the guaranteed first call in the event of injuries. There'd be other alternatives.
But that's what I'm saying. I think he's mature enough to know all that - he knows he's held together with glue, he knows he has mucho young competition now and would only travel down IF Galtand himself made the specific choice that he was the player he wanted as replacement for tests. Meaning, he would think about it if Gatland actually asked him again.... but full tour was always going to be a no.

Aye, you see with players that have suffered injury plagued careers that they know their body pretty well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun 12 May 2013, 5:30 pm

After watching the Saints v Sarries game, still struggling to understand how Farrell and Stevens are touring.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 12 May 2013, 5:48 pm

munkian wrote:After watching the Saints v Sarries game, still struggling to understand how Farrell and Stevens are touring.

clap clap clap I do so agree with you re Farrell and Stevens. they was both cr@p today.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun 12 May 2013, 6:02 pm

Vainipololo was a bit rubbish too Crying or Very sad

Brown needs to go.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun 12 May 2013, 8:17 pm

Farrell....mmmm i wonder why he was selected, Stevens, Lydiate, Jenkins, BOD, POC, what do these selections tell you about Gats....that he goes on rep as much as anything else.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 12 May 2013, 9:09 pm

I'm not sure Gatts has watched anyone play since he fell off his ladder.

It's going to be a rubbish tour sadly.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun 12 May 2013, 9:15 pm

Yes, a team full of dross Rolling Eyes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 12 May 2013, 9:20 pm

munkian wrote:Yes, a team full of dross Rolling Eyes
Not dross exactly, but poor selections, badly managed/coached and choosing the wrong tactics against Aus will not work out well. The choice of captain/favourites and long-term-injured etc will cause tensions. This could make SCW's tour look like a good one.

The players are no way up to the standard of the tour 4 years ago either. That goes across all nations/principalities.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 12 May 2013, 9:24 pm

So many soothsayers on 606. Wink I'm reassured that the result of the series is already in.

Fail.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledge the ledgebag Sun 12 May 2013, 9:31 pm

yea owen farrell sucked today, he is in for a tough tour

Ledge the ledgebag

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun 12 May 2013, 9:35 pm

Cyril, do you have the lottery numbers for next week then? Amazing powers of foresight there.

The only thing more incompetently run than Woodwood's lions tour was the Children's Crusade.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 12 May 2013, 9:38 pm

munkian wrote:Cyril, do you have the lottery numbers for next week then? Amazing powers of foresight there.

The only thing more incompetently run than Woodwood's lions tour was the Children's Crusade.

Just saying what I see. If it turns out well I'll be surprised.

The whole set-up seems mis-judged and badly-organised. I actually agree with your principalityman, Mr Stephen Jones in The Times, where he says getting embarrassing how badly put together the whole thing is.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 12 May 2013, 9:43 pm

What is really sad about this tour is that Gatland as had over a year to get an idea of who the players are in would take..But he does come across as though he as the same players in mind that played in the last Lions tour. with the exception of one or two others.

He should of selected players that are on form. and not on past reputations.

If he does manage too pull off a win, a series win against Australia, he will be come the King of rugby.

How ever if he does not pull off any wins. then those who have slated his selection/s will be proved right. he did pick on reputation rather than form.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun 12 May 2013, 9:46 pm

Ah, the font of all knowledge, Stephen 'love knuckle' Jones, explains an awful lot. He's as Welsh as Shane Howarth.

How, exactly, is it badly organised ? You are privy to schedules ? Training regimes ? Dietary plans ? Hes picked a very strong core squad with one or two surprising additions. They haven't even trained together yet you are prophesying doom already Rolling Eyes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 12 May 2013, 9:48 pm

Stephen Jones is VERY Welsh.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sun 12 May 2013, 9:49 pm

I get the impression that some posters on here are rubbing their grubby little mitts together in glee at the thought of being proved 'right'.

Congratulations, you won at the internets !!
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 12 May 2013, 10:15 pm

Mr Stephen Jones is going to have a tough few months. Every column he writes now will have to be supplemented with a top secret totally reverse opinion so that he doesn't get caught out with tight deadlines..... and God forbid he publishes the wrong one in the panic to have the 'right' story earliest told! Yahoo

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Mon 13 May 2013, 2:57 am

what worries me about the team is that there is so much size and power, much of it is creaking, and we have no shane/billy whizz types.....why not take zebo or wade as a true bolter

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by wanderingdragon Mon 13 May 2013, 4:16 am

If BOD had to withdraw you would hope he would be replaced by a 10 as Farrell was dire (again) yesterday and looks woefully short of confidence.

No need for extra cover at 13 as with Davies, Tuilagi, Bowe there is enough cover there anyway.

Hopefully O'Brien will be fit. If not I would go for Kelly Brown as he has been in much better form than the knackered-looking Robshaw of late. Alternatively Ryan Jones as he was fantastic in the 6N and his experience could be useful.

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Mon 13 May 2013, 4:28 am

Not Brown! Jones is the man, leadership, utility and an experienced lion

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 13 May 2013, 8:52 am

Ryan Jones is a good shout but still imjured no ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 13 May 2013, 9:01 am

100%beefy wrote:Not Brown! Jones is the man, leadership, utility and an experienced lion

Apart for the Lion bit, that all describes Brown - add in Form then you have it

Brown is the man, leadership, utility and an on spanking good form

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next