The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio Garcia makes racist remark when asked about Tiger

+38
Aruglia
Henman Bill
lorus59
Handicap28
1GrumpyGolfer
princedracula
monty junior
MontysMerkin
Scrumpy
Skydriver
JAS
Tiler76
beninho
GT350
kingraf
dynamark
robopz
barragan
erictheblueuk
Hibbz
GPB
Lairdy
MustPuttBetter
SmithersJones
ScottieD18
Shotrock
kwinigolfer
mystiroakey
Bob_the_Job
Davie
navyblueshorts
Diggers
Roller_Coaster
Sand
incontinentia
hend085
super_realist
McLaren
42 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Sergio Garcia makes racist remark when asked about Tiger Empty Sergio Garcia makes racist remark when asked about Tiger

Post by McLaren Wed 22 May 2013, 1:38 am

Can we all now agree the guy is an arse hole?

From the Guardian;

Sergio García's ongoing spat with Tiger Woods took an unwelcome turn night, when the Spaniard made what could be interpreted as a racist remark about his opponent.

The Spaniard was on stage at the European Tour's gala players' awards dinner, where he was questioned by the Golf Channel's Steve Sands. García, who has been embroiled in verbal battles with Woods since the Players Championship at Sawgrass this month, was asked in jest if he would have the American round for dinner one night during the upcoming US Open. "We will have him round every night," García said. "We will serve fried chicken."

The statement was similar to Fuzzy Zoeller's infamous remark towards Woods in 1997. Then, after Woods won his first major, the Masters, which entitled him to choose the champions' dinner menu for the following year, Zoeller said: "You pat him on the back and say congratulations and enjoy it and tell him not serve fried chicken next year. Got it? Or collard greens or whatever the hell they serve." Zoeller later apologised and said he had been misconstrued.

García left last night before he could be asked to clarify his remarks, but later issued a statment through the European Tour, saying: "I apologise for any offence that may have been caused by my comment on stage during The European Tour Players' Awards dinner. I answered a question that was clearly made towards me as a joke with a silly remark, but in no way was the comment meant in a racist manner."

Earlier in the day he had earlier been pressed on his relationship – or lack of one – with the world No1 when previewing the PGA Championship. "I mean, you can't like everybody," the Spaniard said. "I think that there's people that you connect with and there's people that you don't. You know, it's pretty much as simple as that. I think that he doesn't need me in his life, I don't need him in mine, and let's move on and keep doing what we're doing."

When asked when this problem first came to light, García replied: "A while back. It's never really been like a true connection like I would have maybe with Luke Donald or Lee Westwood or Adam Scott or some of the other guys that I get along with well."

Paul McGinley, who will lead Europe into the 2014 Ryder Cup, used the Surrey course as the venue to announce he is increasing the captain's wildcard picks from two to three. The leading four players from the European Tour's order of merit and five from the world rankings list will gain automatic entry for the event, to be held at Gleneagles. "I feel like by giving myself an extra pick, it's a little bit of wriggle room," McGinley explained.

"Like it or not, we have to acknowledge the fact that most of the players are now based in America, playing on the PGA Tour. I think in the big scheme of things this is actually going to help the European Tour more because I am going to be watching very closely for those three picks.

"Guys who are not in the top 50 in the world, who show a bit of form on the European Tour, they are going to rank very highly with the possible opportunity of a pick.

"Ideally, I would love to be able to say I want 12 players off the European Order of Merit. But I know that's not practical or realistic and I know I wouldn't have a strong enough team to win the Ryder Cup. At the end of the day, my head will fall; it's on me and it is my decision."
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Sergio Garcia makes racist remark when asked about Tiger Empty Re: Sergio Garcia makes racist remark when asked about Tiger

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 8:03 am

Mac in faux offence shocker.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Sergio Garcia makes racist remark when asked about Tiger Empty Re: Sergio Garcia makes racist remark when asked about Tiger

Post by hend085 Wed 22 May 2013, 8:20 am

super_realist wrote:Mac in faux offence shocker.

100% Agree.
Americans like fried chicken. end of story. your interepretation of his comment is what is racist.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 22 May 2013, 8:21 am

pretty dumb thing to say. he's just making things worse for himself when he eventually has to face Woods on the course again. Imagine if they faced off in the next Ryder cup? Tiger would tear him a new one.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 8:29 am

incontinentia wrote:pretty dumb thing to say. he's just making things worse for himself when he eventually has to face Woods on the course again. Imagine if they faced off in the next Ryder cup? Tiger would tear him a new one.

Really, Nine Chins being the worst American Ryder Cup player of all time against Garcia who is one of the best Ryder Cup players of all time?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Wed 22 May 2013, 8:41 am

Clearly a pretty dumb thing to say but just wish both players and journalists would stop speaking about this 'feud'. Its seriously getting boring now.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 8:42 am

Precisely, they don't like each other, but I doubt it's any deeper than that. PLenty of people don't like each other on tour, doesn't mean they are at "loggerheads"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 22 May 2013, 8:49 am

I don't particularly like the often sullen, whiny Garcia but really think it was a flippant, silly remark as he has indicated.

Could it be interpreted as a racial comment? Yes. Was it one? No. Media twisting? Yep. Moving on time? Already.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 22 May 2013, 8:51 am

well Woods is the greatest golfer of all time, he lets his clubs do the talking.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Wed 22 May 2013, 8:54 am

Ive just read a interview on Sky Sports with McIlroy playing down the row between Tiger & Sergio, as a clash of personalities. He admits himself there are a lot of other guys on tour that he doesnt talk to either.

Thats only natural as its very competitive but seriously its time to move on.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 22 May 2013, 9:00 am

There is no debating that saying black people eat fried chicken is a stereotype based on race. Given sergio's comment was most likely meant in a negative way you all have to accept he used a stereotype about black people in a negative manner.

It is hard to see how this differs from racism.

A real shame that the sporting and in particular the golfing community yet again fail to condemn racism.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 22 May 2013, 9:02 am

Confirms what I've always thought about Garcia, he's just pretty dumb. Not much going on upstairs.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 22 May 2013, 9:06 am

McLaren wrote:There is no debating that saying black people eat fried chicken is a stereotype based on race. Given sergio's comment was most likely meant in a negative way you all have to accept he used a stereotype about black people in a negative manner.

A real shame that the sporting and in particular the golfing community yet again fail to condemn racism.
Laugh We all know you have a TW poster over your bed. Sergio moans a bit, TW is an egocentric berk. Hey! Newsflash...neither's perfect!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 9:07 am

incontinentia wrote:well Woods is the greatest golfer of all time, he lets his clubs do the talking.

But suggesting the Ryder Cup would be a suitable platform for 9 Chins to demonstrate that would probably be bad considering he stinks the place out every time he tees it up in that event.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 22 May 2013, 9:10 am

McLaren wrote:There is no debating that saying black people eat fried chicken is a stereotype based on race. Given sergio's comment was most likely meant in a negative way you all have to accept he used a stereotype about black people in a negative manner.

Don't be so daft. It is stereotyping but it's not racist. You say "there is no debating..." as if it's a dead certainty - but you couldn't be further from the truth - Black people eating fried chicken isn't a stereotype based on race - it's a stereotype based on nationality - plenty of white Americans stereotypically eat fried chicken too

If Tiger had joked he was going to invite Sergio around and feed him paella would that make Tiger racist?

McLaren wrote:A real shame that the sporting and in particular the golfing community yet again fail to condemn racism.

A real shame you have to try to make more of something than there really is

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 22 May 2013, 9:11 am

navyblueshorts wrote:

:laugh: We all know you have a TW poster over your bed. Sergio moans a bit, TW is an egocentric berk. Hey! Newsflash...neither's perfect!

A real shame you decline the opportunity agree how terrible it is to see someone get away with a racist comment in front of a packed crowd in favor of your usual dig at me.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 22 May 2013, 9:15 am

I don't buy the white Americans eat chicken theory, totally apologist.
It's a comment about race, meant in jest, doesn't make him a racist just phenomenally stupid in the circumstances.
No making up now between the two that's for sure.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 22 May 2013, 9:20 am

It may have been in jest, it just so happens it was in est of tigers race. So therefore racist.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 9:25 am

Mac, if you purposely go looking for something you hope to find, you will probably always find it.

Fried chicken is to me at least apart from being revolting a staple of the deep south, regardless of whether you are black or white.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 22 May 2013, 9:32 am

super_realist wrote:

Fried chicken is to me at least apart from being revolting a staple of the deep south, regardless of whether you are black or white.

Spot on Super

Diggers doesn't buy it though. Meh

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 22 May 2013, 9:40 am

Davie wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Spot on Super

Diggers doesn't buy it though. Meh

I don't buy it as its utterly naïve IMO.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 22 May 2013, 9:41 am

Dear Mac,

Can you also scold that nasty S_R who constantly is racist about the Irish and our sterotypical love of the potato. If you could do it soon before I head off to the chippe for breakfast, that would be great.

Cheers
BtJ
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 9:42 am

I can see how it could be construed as a racist remark by those looking for one especially the Guardian reading type who like to do such things and be offended on other peoples behalf, however I sincerely doubt that Garcia intended it to be taken in that manner and he has done the right thing and apologised.

That should be the end of the matter.

Would Mac be flipping his lid if it had been another black american golfer? Doubt it.

Bob, the Irish aren't a race.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 22 May 2013, 9:48 am

So can someone please clarify why as far as I know the only guy on tour who has been told he should eat fried chicken just happens to be black ?
Coincidence ? No, its racial stereotyping. Is that racist, not really, but it is racial stereotyping.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 9:51 am

I would imagine Bubba Watson etc eating fried chicken too.
If he really wanted to be racist he would just say he wouldn't let a black person sit at his dinner table

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 22 May 2013, 9:55 am

super_realist wrote:I would imagine Bubba Watson etc eating fried chicken too.

I'm sure he does...but its utterly not the point. Why have two players on tour specifically mentioned Woods...and Woods alone...as eating fried chicken ?
Simple question.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 22 May 2013, 9:55 am

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Laugh We all know you have a TW poster over your bed. Sergio moans a bit, TW is an egocentric berk. Hey! Newsflash...neither's perfect!

A real shame you decline the opportunity agree how terrible it is to see someone get away with a racist comment in front of a packed crowd in favor of your usual dig at me.
But I don't agree with you Mac. My dig re. the 'poster above your bed' is because you're hardly making the point from an unbiased perspective are you? Stop making it more than it is

Edit: Diggers is probably right - it's a daft thing for Garcia to have said given the speed with which anyone jumps on the offence bandwagon. For any subject, these days, it's a wonder anyone says anything to anyone when the media are present.

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Wed 22 May 2013, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 9:58 am

Diggers wrote:

I'm sure he does...but its utterly not the point. Why have two players on tour specifically mentioned Woods...and Woods alone...as eating fried chicken ?
Simple question.

So what if Garcia had said the same about Mullet Watson?
Would there be an issue, or is it that those taking "faux" fence are looking at the quote and equating Woods skin colour? That's how it looks.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 22 May 2013, 10:01 am

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:

Simple question.

So what if Garcia had said the same about Mullet Watson?
Would there be an issue, or is it that those taking "faux" fence are looking at the quote and equating Woods skin colour? That's how it looks.

But he didn't S_R. "What if" is a bit of a problem as he didn't say it re. Watson...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 22 May 2013, 10:01 am

super_realist wrote:

Um, guess Wikipedia is wrong then: "Race is a classification system used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, or social affiliation."

And the Dictionary: "A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics. 2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: example - the German race."

And to think I used to believe you to be infallible.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 22 May 2013, 10:02 am

I seem to recall Blubba served up fried chicken and macaroni cheese for his pre-Masters banquet menu choice. There were various comments about that at the time

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 10:04 am

Bob_the_Job wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Um, guess Wikipedia is wrong then: "Race is a classification system used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, or social affiliation."

And the Dictionary: "A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics. 2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: example - the German race."

Ginger hair, eyes too close together and stupid, ok, There is an irish race. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 22 May 2013, 10:08 am

super_realist wrote:
Bob_the_Job wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Ginger hair, eyes too close together and stupid, ok, There is an irish race. Laugh
Don't be a prat S_R. You get pinged by Bob and that's the level of your comeback?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 22 May 2013, 10:09 am

Davie wrote:I seem to recall Blubba served up fried chicken and macaroni cheese for his pre-Masters banquet menu choice. There were various comments about that at the time

That's about food he chose to serve. Woods hasn't as far as I know hasn't served fried chicken at any dinner. So why are players linking fried chicken with him ?
Strewth get a grip here, if I had to bet my life on listing what a black guys favourite meal would be it would be fried chicken. Quite why that should be seen as some kind of insult I don't know but it is without a shadow of a doubt a remark linked to race, much like the Irish and potatoes or even the French calling us Les Rosbifs. Its a bit of a dig. That's it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 10:11 am

Is it a big deal then? Only idiots get annoyed at Irish potato jibes and I certainly am not offended by being called a rosbif.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 10:12 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Bob_the_Job wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Don't be a prat S_R. You get pinged by Bob and that's the level of your comeback?

Come on Navy, he used Wiki as a reliable source, a quick rebuke was in order.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 22 May 2013, 10:13 am

super_realist wrote:Is it a big deal then? Only idiots get annoyed at Irish potato jibes and I certainly am not offended by being called a rosbif.

No its not a big deal but pretending its something is not is equally annoying as getting offended by it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 10:15 am

Diggers, I've said it could be construed as racist even if it wasn't intended that way and that Garcia has apologised if it had been seen in that way.

That should be the end of it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 22 May 2013, 10:20 am

So why bang on about the whole Bubba Watson thing. Just say at the start it was a bad weak joke based on race instead of making any kind of excuse for him.
Defensive arguments like that are just as responsible for keeping these kind of issues going as people over reacting.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 22 May 2013, 10:25 am

Does making excuses for other people who make these sort of remarks provide some justification for your own racist thoughts?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 22 May 2013, 10:30 am

Desperate Mac?

I said to my wife last night, lets have an indian night and i cooked a korma. How xenophobic am i??!!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 22 May 2013, 10:33 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:Desperate Mac?

I said to my wife last night, lets have an indian night and i cooked a korma. How xenophobic am i??!!

Not very, but if you were a professional golfer and apropos of nothing in a press conference you suddenly said Jeev Milka Singh only eats curry people might think that was a bit weird.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 22 May 2013, 10:42 am

McLaren wrote:Does making excuses for other people who make these sort of remarks provide some justification for your own racist thoughts?
Not even a good try Mac.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 10:54 am

Diggers wrote:So why bang on about the whole Bubba Watson thing. Just say at the start it was a bad weak joke based on race instead of making any kind of excuse for him.
Defensive arguments like that are just as responsible for keeping these kind of issues going as people over reacting.

I'm not defending the comment or Garcia, I've said he probably didn't mean it to be taken like that and he said sorry immediately as it could easily be construed that way.

I'm sure every one of us says something that would offend someone on a fairly regular basis.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 22 May 2013, 11:03 am

Diggers wrote:

Not very, but if you were a professional golfer and apropos of nothing in a press conference you suddenly said Jeev Milka Singh only eats curry people might think that was a bit weird.

True, but's that's not even close to what Sergio said is it?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 11:05 am

If he'd been having a fight with Monty and said he'd have him over for Dinner and they would serve haggis, would anyone be offended?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 22 May 2013, 11:07 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:
Diggers wrote:

True, but's that's not even close to what Sergio said is it?

Isn't it ? Why mention the food of choice of a black person ? Unless you want to make a specific reference to race I have no idea why he would have said that.
How's it going anyway MPB, been a while.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 22 May 2013, 11:10 am

super_realist wrote:If he'd been having a fight with Monty and said he'd have him over for Dinner and they would serve haggis, would anyone be offended?

What's with all the ifs ? He didn't. The question is why, no doubt with that dumb smarmy grin on his face, he said Woods would eat fried chicken. Why mention it, what's the point unless he is having a dig. He's already said he hates the bloke, its hardly like he is saying it as a compliment.
And lets face it racism is a big issue in Spain, it doesn't have the same stigma there that it does here.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 May 2013, 11:15 am

I agree it's a stupid statement to make, I think it's stupid to look for offence in it though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 22 May 2013, 11:16 am

Diggers wrote:Isn't it ? Why mention the food of choice of a black person ? Unless you want to make a specific reference to race I have no idea why he would have said that.
How's it going anyway MPB, been a while.

Maybe he mentioned the food of choice of an American person whom Sergio happens to know likes fried chicken.
My point is, jumping from Sergio mentioning fried chicken to it being in some way racist is a massive leap of assumption, not to mention a convenient one if you're a Tiger loving superfan such as Mr Mac

If Sergio didn't mean it in a racially connected way and that link was in fact made in the mind of a journalist or Mac, does that not say more about that person than Sergio?

That aside, i'm good thanks matey. Have been absent for a while with the little'n at home and a few other things but thought i'd come and have a little look at what's going on here. How about yourself?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next