The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Danny Cipriani - back on the right tracks?

+11
jimmyinthewell68
propdavid_london
offload
LondonTiger
lostinwales
thomh
funnyExiledScot
Geordie
Hound of Harrow
100%beefy
robbo277
15 posters

Go down

Danny Cipriani - back on the right tracks? Empty Danny Cipriani - back on the right tracks?

Post by robbo277 Wed 22 May 2013, 11:01 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/club-rugby/danny-cipriani-takes-new-outlook-on-life-following-controversial-year-8626615.html

Interesting to read this interview with Danny Cipriani. He's obviously a talent but for the last 5 years or so it's looked like that talent could be wasted. It's fine saying these things now, but it will be interesting to see if there is any improvement in his game next season.

Cipriani has so much more natural ability than Stephen Myler, our newly called-up 10, but his form definitely doesn't deserve a call-up. If Cipriani does knuckle down and get back to his best, however, Cipriani could find himself back in England contention in the lead up to the home World Cup in 2015.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Danny Cipriani - back on the right tracks? Empty Re: Danny Cipriani - back on the right tracks?

Post by 100%beefy Thu 23 May 2013, 12:05 am

Cipriani + Lancaster camp does not compute

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Danny Cipriani - back on the right tracks? Empty Re: Danny Cipriani - back on the right tracks?

Post by Hound of Harrow Thu 23 May 2013, 1:58 am

Lancaster's not camp.

Whistle

Cipriani was the most gifted 10 England have had in my lifetime. But a bad leg break, being brought back into the England team too soon and a love of the limelight, has seen him lose out.

I think he has his head screwed on now, but I can't see him featuring while SL* is in charge.

*RobotsRus and make sure you are 'on message' and fully conversant in 'positive message'.

That shoite won't win us important matches. Playing the best players in their best positions might give us a chance.

thumbsup

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 23 May 2013, 8:48 am

I personally dont want him anywhere near the England squad.

We should be able to find a quality 10 from Farrell, Burns, Slade, Flood, Joel Hodgson, Ford, etc etc....that dont have to bring that utter waste of space back into the squad..

PS As beefy Says...he's not the type of player Lancs would have in the squad anyway...well with the exception of Calum Clark.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 May 2013, 8:57 am

He's still only 25, and still has good pace and plenty talent. I think he should forget England for now. In that regard his talking has to be on the pitch, a newspaper interview changes nothing.

Delon Armitage had an interview in the Sunday Times a few weeks back, saying how he's grown up since moving to Toulon. Well that new leaf lasted less than a month.

He needs to continue playing for Sale at 10, have a strong season and build from there. If Diamond can sort out the Sale pack and give Cipriani a platform, then I still believe he's good enough for international rugby. He needs to prove himself consistently though, and stay out of trouble. I don't mean for weeks or months, I mean for a couple of years. When he does that, and his form is so compelling that even the Welsh fans have to concede he's a decent player, only then should Lancaster (or whoever is coaching England by then) consider calling him up. His baggage means he has more to prove than others. Harsh but fair.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu 23 May 2013, 9:12 am

It's been five years, two leg breaks, three clubs and a bus collision since he showed his best form, so I don't think we should hold our collective breath. If he's actually got his head together then that's only a good thing, but for the moment I'm far too busy building up Burns and Twelvetrees to knock them down later to worry about Cipriani.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 23 May 2013, 9:16 am

I really do hope he sorts himself out but he is good at saying the right thing then doing the wrong thing.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 23 May 2013, 10:10 am

Did Cipriani not do this exact same interview a year ago?

And 18 months before that when he joined the Rebels?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 May 2013, 10:30 am

Exactly my point - the words are meaningless. You can only judge rugby players by their rugby and the manner with which they conduct themselves off the pitch - in other words actions.

In fact I question whether he should have been doing the interview in the first place. Next time he makes the papers, it needs to be a positive report regarding his performances on the pitch, not a scandal or self-promoting interview.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 23 May 2013, 10:36 am

A few less words Mr Cipriani....and a little more action. When it comes to show and tell, only the show matters. Let your actions do the showing and time the telling.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 23 May 2013, 11:34 am

I will believe it when I see it.
Get your head right - run the ball a little more and kick less.
Remember the player you were before your injury - that is all.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 23 May 2013, 11:42 am

propdavid_london wrote:I will believe it when I see it.
Get your head right - run the ball a little more and kick less.
Remember the player you were before your injury - that is all.
and read up on ur green cross code Shocked

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 23 May 2013, 11:57 am

It's all a load of hot air until he proves it with his play on the field.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 23 May 2013, 12:43 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote: and read up on ur green cross code Shocked

Green cross code? ..........I'm old enough to remember my Tufty's Kerb Drill
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 23 May 2013, 1:52 pm

I'll believe it when I see it too. The long and the short of it is that he has spent longer out of form than he ever has in form. Despite his woeful tackling I feel he should spend a couple of seasons back at full back. He will lose the pressure of trying to run/force a game, yet can still act as a 2nd receiver and play maker and he might actually be able to build a run of performances. Regardless of SL, he is a long way off making back into the England set up. I would suggest England were more likely to ask Hodgson or Wilkinson to come out of retirement than ask Cipriani back into the fold. At present he is simply just not good enough to be anywhere near that squad. His sole focus should be on finding form at club level, but somehow I think we'll see him in the gossip pages more than the back pages...
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 23 May 2013, 1:55 pm

HKC,

Full Backs nowadays seem to be required to make much fewer tackles than in days of yore. Catching kicks seems to be their main defensive duty now. So Ciprianis tackling weakness would be less of an issue at FB.

(Mike Brown 36 in 16 matches, rob Cook 39 in 19, Alex Goode 18 in 11, Matt Tait 22 in 13 for example)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 23 May 2013, 1:58 pm

Mind you, FB tackles tend to be try saving tackles when made.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 23 May 2013, 3:58 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Mind you, FB tackles tend to be try saving tackles when made.

Absolutely, they really get noticed at FB. Wasn't there talk a season or two agio about him going to Tigers as a FB?
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 23 May 2013, 5:17 pm

He's not going to do an interview and claim he's been brilliant for the last few years and say he's going to carry on being a bell end is he?

If he gets back on track, on the pitch not in interviews, then he could be brilliant but if not then it's a massive waste of talent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu 23 May 2013, 8:32 pm

Cipriani is being kept out of the Sale side by Nick McLeod......................................................................................................................................

I rest my case!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 23 May 2013, 9:13 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Mind you, FB tackles tend to be try saving tackles when made.

Absolutely, they really get noticed at FB. Wasn't there talk a season or two agio about him going to Tigers as a FB?

I believe such an offer was made to him last Summer, which he declined.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down