The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish Pro team thread

+44
justified sinner
jebus
Welshmushroom
Brendan
Tattie Scones RRN
reallybored
VinceWLB
Biltong
Captain_Sensible
Totalflanker
bsando
furra_linee
tigertattie
alexgmacdonald
Imperialbigdave
jimbopip
Portnoy's Complaint
allyt2k
RuggerRadge2611
Weegie Wizard
Manky-Flanker
EWT Spoons
nickj
Solid8
Tramptastic
21st Century Schizoid Man
IanBru
GLove39
funnyExiledScot
EST
CraigS1874
highland_scot
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
George Carlin
JayMaster3000
RDW
Dorothy_Mantooth
Majestic83
Pat_Mustard
whocares
cakeordeath
Kingshu
InjuredYetAgain
48 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Scottish Pro team thread - Page 2 Empty Scottish Pro team thread

Post by 123456789 Mon 27 May 2013, 5:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

There doesn't seem to be much going on but I thought it might be an idea to set up a thread devoted to transfers, coaching news and general new information to do with the Scottish pro clubs over the summer

Back to top Go down

Scottish Pro team thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Scottish Pro team thread

Post by RDW Mon 03 Jun 2013, 1:47 pm

George Carlin wrote:I see that Sean Kennedy has signed his first senior professional contract with Edinburgh to keep him at Murrayfield until 2015. There's quite literally no beginning to the excitement in the capital now.

What you talking about? I've just bought a season ticket due to this news!

Joking aside it is a good thing to happen, particularly as you weedge wanted him so badly! laughing

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 03 Jun 2013, 1:58 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Unbelievably Edinburgh are back at pre-season today - has the season not just ended??

At least they will have had plenty training before the season starts!

Wow, that's early. Still after last year think it's fair to say they need all the practice they can get!
Any word on new coaching staff?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 03 Jun 2013, 2:16 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I see that Sean Kennedy has signed his first senior professional contract with Edinburgh to keep him at Murrayfield until 2015. There's quite literally no beginning to the excitement in the capital now.

What you talking about? I've just bought a season ticket due to this news!

You mean you didn't rush out and buy one when we signed Nikki Walker! Erm

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 04 Jun 2013, 6:34 pm

Fair enough. Theyve got a hell of a lot of work to do, not only to regain the support they lost last season, but for their own pride. I hope they are hurting, and I hope they channel that into something positive this season. Only issue is that the leaders are all away from the rest of the squad atm apart from Cox...
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 9:38 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:Fair enough. Theyve got a hell of a lot of work to do, not only to regain the support they lost last season, but for their own pride. I hope they are hurting, and I hope they channel that into something positive this season. Only issue is that the leaders are all away from the rest of the squad atm apart from Cox...

What I don't understand was that at the end of last year your team looked awesome yet now it looks pish poor and the only important player who left was Mike Blair, I think he's another example of us not appreciating how good a Scottish player is, he's been a massive loss to Scotland and Edinburgh.If you can get Ford, Nel, Rennie, Denton, Van der Westhuizen and MacInally operating then you'll have a dynamic pack especially if Gilchrist kicks on, add Kennedy,Scott, Farndale, Visser and Tonks to that then you have an exiting team. Next year I'd go for a starting squad of:

1. Dickinson
2. Ford
3. Nel
4. Van Der Westhuizen
5.Gilchrist
6. MacInally
7. Rennie
8. Denton
9. Kennedy
10. Leonard
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. Fife
14. Farndale
15. Tonks

16. Yapp
17. Lawrie
18. Cross
19. Cox
20. Grant
21. Laidlaw
22. De Luca
23. Brown

That side is exciting young and dynamic, if a bit lightweight, also all except Yapp are either Scottish or uncapped, Farndale and Visser are try scorers as is Tonks. Kennedy is a scrum-half in the Mike Blair mould which is what Edinburgh need, as well as that it is mainly players trying to gain an international recognition and as a result you would remove the mercenary attitude of some of the players last year. I'd work the players to an inch of their lives in pre-season and remind them what being a professional player means.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Jun 2013, 11:07 pm

You do need to get rid of Cox, constant though he has been.
All mouth and no trousers. Nothing to do with his silly beard, either.

Well, not much to do with it.

Has Perry Parker vanished from the reckoning then?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Jun 2013, 8:09 am

Cox has been a decent player for us, and was colossal on our hk run - particularly against Ulster. He does have temperament issues but considering the rest of the pack are soft as hell I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Good player to have around I think but is a more limited player.

happy to have Perry parker - he's a big athletic lad and lets not forget last season was his first in proper pro rugby. Like a lot of Edinburgh players he struggled for consistent game time so let's see how he does this year.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:56 am

I have no issues with Cox. He's basically our version of Al Kellock. He's the talker and the pack leader, and runs the lineout. Hopefully VDW will turn out to be the more complete lock, and then he can Gilchrist can take things forward, but Cox is an important part of the squad.

Agree with RDW on Parker. Showed some nice touches when given a chance, and with Gilchrist on international duty this summer, he, Cox, MacAlpine and VDW will need to kick the season off for us. I don't see lock as a big issue anymore. No world beaters, but all pretty solid options, and better than Turnbull....

123456 etc. - I also rate Kennedy highly but there's no chance that Laidlaw won't be first choice next season. Kennedy will be an impact sub, which I think will suit him well. He's still a little erratic, and can play at a speed beyond his abilities sometimes - almost the opposite of Laidlaw.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:02 am

Al Kellock is probably a fair comparison - good in the air, a good motivator, but not overly physical.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 12:44 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I have no issues with Cox. He's basically our version of Al Kellock. He's the talker and the pack leader, and runs the lineout. Hopefully VDW will turn out to be the more complete lock, and then he can Gilchrist can take things forward, but Cox is an important part of the squad.

Agree with RDW on Parker. Showed some nice touches when given a chance, and with Gilchrist on international duty this summer, he, Cox, MacAlpine and VDW will need to kick the season off for us. I don't see lock as a big issue anymore. No world beaters, but all pretty solid options, and better than Turnbull....

123456 etc. - I also rate Kennedy highly but there's no chance that Laidlaw won't be first choice next season. Kennedy will be an impact sub, which I think will suit him well. He's still a little erratic, and can play at a speed beyond his abilities sometimes - almost the opposite of Laidlaw.

I don't think Laidlaw suits Edinburgh's style of play, he's just too slow

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 05 Jun 2013, 1:09 pm

Think Laidlaw will probably start the season as first choice but Kennedy will get his chance in the Autumn Test window and would not be surprised if he performs well enough to hold onto the 9 shirt

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 2:35 pm

Any news on the Edinburgh coaching situation?

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Jun 2013, 3:04 pm

123456789 wrote:Any news on the Edinburgh coaching situation?

Don't be silly. Rumours are a current Super XV coach with International experience, but I can't remember where I read that. Seems a bit adventurous.

If it is a Super XV coach we'd no doubt have to wait 'til the end of their season.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Wed 05 Jun 2013, 3:18 pm

HC draw:

Glasgow have Toulon, Cardiff Blues and Exeter

Edinburgh have Munster, Perpignan and Gloucester.

not bad at all, both have avoided the toughest second seeds.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Jun 2013, 3:29 pm

Glasgow vs Exeter - ASBO will have his loyalties tested.

Not too happy about Edinburgh having Munster again, their competitiveness and work ethic doesn't suit us.....

Edinburgh vs Glaws should be a good pair of fixtures. Both notoriously flimsy sides who like to chuck the ball about.

I expect Perpignan will destroy us in France, but as always against French sides we'll have a prayer at Murrayfield.

Glasgow must fancy their chances against Cardiff and Exeter at Scotstoun. Toulon will be tough with that pack of theirs, but Glasgow have the fire power to score tries against anyone.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Jun 2013, 3:36 pm

Forgot about the HK draw – must actually be busy at work! Groups are by no means a disaster but are tough groups. Glasgow definitely should be aiming to come 2nd in that group, although I think it will be tough to be one of the best runners up.

Edinburgh will probably be fighting it out with Gloucester for last place, but TBH I would just be happy with respectability after last season!

Absolute farce that Connacht and Zebre are in the same group again.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 05 Jun 2013, 4:48 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Glasgow vs Exeter - ASBO will have his loyalties tested.

Not too happy about Edinburgh having Munster again, their competitiveness and work ethic doesn't suit us.....

Edinburgh vs Glaws should be a good pair of fixtures. Both notoriously flimsy sides who like to chuck the ball about.

I expect Perpignan will destroy us in France, but as always against French sides we'll have a prayer at Murrayfield.

Glasgow must fancy their chances against Cardiff and Exeter at Scotstoun. Toulon will be tough with that pack of theirs, but Glasgow have the fire power to score tries against anyone.

Not at all - will be wearing my Chiefs shirt and my Warriors hat at Sandy Park, and my Warriors shirt and my Chiefs hat at Scotstoun - happy daze Ale

Chief Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:16 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
123456789 wrote:Any news on the Edinburgh coaching situation?

Don't be silly. Rumours are a current Super XV coach with International experience, but I can't remember where I read that. Seems a bit adventurous.

If it is a Super XV coach we'd no doubt have to wait 'til the end of their season.

They'll probably appoint Stuart Lancaster to come in 2016 having failed miserably at a home world cup and with a point to prove in the meantime you'll be coached by Mark Dodson's brother in laws nephew

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:46 pm

I'm officially back on 606. I know you guys were worrying...
123456789 wrote:in the meantime you'll be coached by Mark Dodson's brother in laws nephew
If you're from the Isle of Mull, pretty much everyone is your brother-in-law's nephew. Even the ladies. I helped to build my parents' house there a couple of years ago, and half the builders/plumbers/plasters on the project were related to me in some way or another. Makes a drunken night out a bit of a minefield.

Back to the matter at hand, I know the Toulon fixtures are going to be tough, but I can't help being ridiculously excited by the prospect of Jonny, Bakkies, Mathieu et al walking out to the wee Scoutsoun car park (dodging the black ice and sink holes/puddles) with their £300k/anum tails between their St Tropez tanned legs. I want Mr Armitage given a proper shoeing by Bluto and Big Al. I want Gitteau heckled remorselessly for a certain kick in 2009. Then after the game, I want a hot french girl to cook me coq au vin.

Exeter and Cardiff, they'll be fun too.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:58 pm

IanBru wrote:I'm officially back on 606. I know you guys were worrying...
123456789 wrote:in the meantime you'll be coached by Mark Dodson's brother in laws nephew
If you're from the Isle of Mull, pretty much everyone is your brother-in-law's nephew. Even the ladies. I helped to build my parents' house there a couple of years ago, and half the builders/plumbers/plasters on the project were related to me in some way or another. Makes a drunken night out a bit of a minefield.

Back to the matter at hand, I know the Toulon fixtures are going to be tough, but I can't help being ridiculously excited by the prospect of Jonny, Bakkies, Mathieu et al walking out to the wee Scoutsoun car park (dodging the black ice and sink holes/puddles) with their £300k/annum tails between their St Tropez tanned legs. I want Mr Armitage given a proper shoeing by Bluto and Big Al. I want Gitteau heckled remorselessly for a certain kick in 2009. Then after the game, I want a hot french girl to cook me coq au vin.

Laugh Fixed that for you too OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:04 pm

IanBru wrote:I'm officially back on 606. I know you guys were worrying...

Back to the matter at hand, I know the Toulon fixtures are going to be tough, but I can't help being ridiculously excited by the prospect of Jonny, Bakkies, Mathieu et al walking out to the wee Scoutsoun car park (dodging the black ice and sink holes/puddles) with their £300k/anum tails between their St Tropez tanned legs. I want Mr Armitage given a proper shoeing by Bluto and Big Al. I want Gitteau heckled remorselessly for a certain kick in 2009. Then after the game, I want a hot french girl to cook me coq au vin.

Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 05 Jun 2013, 7:11 pm

Laugh laughing Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 12 Jun 2013, 11:44 am

Did anyone see that John Plumtree of the (south african) Sharks will be leaving at the end of the season? Tied in with the rumours Edinburgh are getting a SH coach... any basis for joy then?

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 12 Jun 2013, 11:51 am

Ooh good work - is this the Super XV sharks? Why would he want to come to Edinburgh??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 12 Jun 2013, 11:55 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Ooh good work - is this the Super XV sharks? Why would he want to come to Edinburgh??

Yeh the Super XV Sharks...

I suspect Mark Dodson is holding his children hostage in a basement in Leith, there's no other logical reason for him to come to Edinburgh is there? Mind you if he gets them playing to a mid-table level with 3 wins in the Heiniken cup then that can be seen as a win in anybodys eyes! It's all win/win for him!

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 12 Jun 2013, 12:01 pm

He's a Kiwi coaching a South African team who has also coached in Wales - perfect for a Scottish club!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Plumtree

I also see he's coached the SA 7s team - is that the 'international experience' the new Edinburgh coach is rumoured to have??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 12 Jun 2013, 12:04 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:He's a Kiwi coaching a South African team who has also coached in Wales - perfect for a Scottish club!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Plumtree

I also see he's coached the SA 7s team - is that the 'international experience' the new Edinburgh coach is rumoured to have??

Not bad credentials like, have heard the opinion that the sides he coached have a tendency to be inconsistent... maybe Biltong can shed light on him for us?

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Jun 2013, 12:06 pm

Plumtree is good - 2 Currie Cups isn't bad at all. He's still in his 40s too, so young and hungry.

On the other hand, he is accused of having 'discovered' Gavin Henson whilst coaching Swansea. Just goes to show that we all have our flaws.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 12 Jun 2013, 1:08 pm

He's also just been fired by the Sharks and replaced with Brendan Venter of "Sireli Bobo, quality player, ya..." interview fame

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 12 Jun 2013, 1:16 pm

Frankly if he's coached rugby before and has an IQ over 50 we should snap him up, on the one condition that he doesn't subscribe to the philosophy that form players should be dropped!

It seems to be taking an awful long time to find a coach for Edinburgh - I can't help but feel that there have been a fair few rejections.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 12 Jun 2013, 1:40 pm

There's an interview with new Sharks CEO John Smit (the hooker) where he says he will see through his contract until October, suggesting he will miss the start of the season if it is him.

Can't see him wanting to hang around once the Super XV is over though...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 12 Jun 2013, 2:48 pm

John Smit would be good, if for no other reason than for one on one sessions with Ross Ford teaching him how to throw consistently straight!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 12 Jun 2013, 3:27 pm

GC raised the point on another thread about the lack of signings so far with the pro teams, and I thought this would be the best place to discuss it.

I share GC’s worries – I’m pretty sure this time last year Edinburgh had signed half of the rugby Championship. Surely most deals will have been done by now, suggesting if they haven’t signed anyone then we’re going to be stuck with rubbish players!

As GC said Edinburgh not having a head coach is maybe messing things up, although with Lineen doing his scouting job for Glasgow hopefully that won’t be an issue.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 12 Jun 2013, 3:55 pm

Am I right that the signings of Nikki Walker and Ali Dickinson to Edinburgh are confirmed? If so that's much better business than we did last year already! Just a top quality flanker/number 8 or two needed and we'll be ready to take mid-table mediocrity by storm!

Glasgow have been surprisingly quiet, signing only Vernon and Bordill to my knowledge, and promoting Finn Russell, but I suspect this Kiwi flanker on the horizon will be a Glasgow signing, and an excellent one at that.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:13 pm

The point about Edinburgh not having a head coach yet is also a good one. Better the new guy gets to pick his players next summer, with a bigger budget, than having mediocre players foisted on him by the men in suits at the SRU.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:17 pm

Can imagine that job interview:

“Right, by the time you start we will have brought in lots of young, inexperienced amateur players, a couple of over the hill Pacific Islanders and 3 second rows from the Championship. Also when you are in charge you will have no influence on the players brought in to the club. – I’m assuming that’s OK?”

Can see why they are finding it a difficult sell.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:19 pm

This is all assuming that the new coach is not a figment of the SRU management's collective imagination.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:26 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Am I right that the signings of Nikki Walker and Ali Dickinson to Edinburgh are confirmed? If so that's much better business than we did last year already! Just a top quality flanker/number 8 or two needed and we'll be ready to take mid-table mediocrity by storm!

Glasgow have been surprisingly quiet, signing only Vernon and Bordill to my knowledge, and promoting Finn Russell, but I suspect this Kiwi flanker on the horizon will be a Glasgow signing, and an excellent one at that.

FES where did you hear about a Kiwi flanker?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:30 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Am I right that the signings of Nikki Walker and Ali Dickinson to Edinburgh are confirmed? If so that's much better business than we did last year already! Just a top quality flanker/number 8 or two needed and we'll be ready to take mid-table mediocrity by storm!

We managed to get Bordill on an EDP contract - not sure how we managed that as he's already a pro with the Sharks, but good work nonetheless.

Price, Bordill, Ashe, Hughes and Rae are all Scotland U20s and Ashe looks like an excellent young prospect at 8 if he can start eating those pies and getting to the gym in order for him to lose all his pace and handling skills. With the reciprocity of not getting killed by your average Rabo loose forward.

If Glasgow really can get John Hardie to back up Fozzy, then we'll be nigh on perfectly equipped for a new season. By nearly, I do of course mean that I'm holding onto the hope that we've signed Beauden Barrett to replace the flaky Rhubarb. Hmm. There should really be a student band called Flakey Rhubarb if there isn't already.

But I'm worried about Edinburgh. They really need to have much more of a clear out. There should never, ever, be another Mike Penn or Sep Visser purchased. It's not fair on Edinburgh fans - IBD and FES could just stay home and spend the money on maroon/cream (respectively) tweed slacks instead.

Last edited by George Carlin on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:30 pm

nickj wrote:

FES where did you hear about a Kiwi flanker?
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/8778699/Scotland-targeting-Highlanders-flanker-Hardie
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm

Fantastic. Thanks GC. Fingers crossed eh.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:49 pm

Completely agree GC - so more NSQ journeymen.

On that topic, I of course omitted our other big name signing this summer - the 35 year old hooker Lutui. Can't believe I forgot about him......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:50 pm

On a 2 year deal..

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:51 pm

picard

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 12 Jun 2013, 5:32 pm

I'd forgotten about him. Still don't understand that one.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Wed 12 Jun 2013, 5:43 pm

The lack of signings compared to last year surely has alot to do with Edinburgh's run in the Heineken cup. As I recall that alone, generated millions more than would have otherwise been the case. No doubt the extra cash was used to sign players like Strauss, maitland, Nel, Van de Westhuizen etc. The idea being you have to invest to get more success - unfortunately this season Glasgow and Edinburgh got destroyed in Europe. So its all kinda backfired. Less cash = less signings, or at least high profile signings.

Instead we are signing guys like Vernon, Lutui, Walker etc who are 'better value' for money.

Of course, there is always the chance I'm talking out my backside. The above is all speculation, but it makes sense to me raspberry

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed 12 Jun 2013, 6:33 pm

Manky-Flanker wrote:The lack of signings compared to last year surely has alot to do with Edinburgh's run in the Heineken cup. As I recall that alone, generated millions more than would have otherwise been the case. No doubt the extra cash was used to sign players like Strauss, maitland, Nel, Van de Westhuizen etc. The idea being you have to invest to get more success - unfortunately this season Glasgow and Edinburgh got destroyed in Europe. So its all kinda backfired. Less cash = less signings, or at least high profile signings.

Instead we are signing guys like Vernon, Lutui, Walker etc who are 'better value' for money.

Of course, there is always the chance I'm talking out my backside. The above is all speculation, but it makes sense to me raspberry

How has it backfired?  Strauss and Nel were signed as Project players and are both on course to qualify for Scotland.  Strauss certainly will walk into the team imho.  Maitland has already done well enough for Scotland that he is a British & Irish Lion!

Speaking for Glasgow, our new signings so far have been by and large low key (although I think Vernon is a good signing and is getting a raw deal from some on here).  But the SRU have spent a lot of money re-signing a large number of the squad, mostly all on improved deals. Securing a stable squad for the next couple of years.  Also Maitland was signed outside of last years budget, so although he is not a new signing his wages have to be absorbed into our budget this year.

Its still early in pre-season, both teams will bring in more new faces over the Summer, remember Glasgow never added Niko and Strauss until well into July.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed 12 Jun 2013, 6:43 pm

Hi all! Newly joined and thought I would join in.

The way I see it is Edinburgh are a 10 and a 13 away from having a good enough starting XV let alone enough strength in depth. I know I should not be saying this as a Glasgow supporter but I will never understand why Jackson is not sent along the M8 - suits Edinburgh's game and both he and Weir will be playing most weeks.

If the Hardie from the Highlanders comes to Glasgow then that is great but the focus for the rest of the summer from the SRU should be on Edinburgh.

Also agree with the saint in the previous comment that Vernon will be a quality addition for the Warriors.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 12 Jun 2013, 7:13 pm

Welcome Weegie Wiz,
as you will find out we are somewhat outnumbered by our Eastern friends on here so you really are welcome to the fray.Scottish Pro team thread - Page 2 3933776953   

Don't agree with you re Jacko though - he is a good rugby player who should be persevered with and anyway we need him with Dunky Weir out.  I still prefer Peter Horne at 12 and Jacko always does well from the bench .

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed 12 Jun 2013, 7:34 pm

Don't get me wrong I think Jackson is a good player and still capable of being a lot better.

I mean, for both Edinburgh and the national team, it would make sense to have both him and Weir playing each week and having the team rely on them performing consistently over the season.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next