The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who to open the batting with Cook in the first ashes test?

+31
KP_fan
chrisss
Mat
hodge
Fists of Fury
liverbnz
Gregers
meden_820
robbo277
alfie
Marcus
Good Golly I'm Olly
ShankyCricket
teassoc
guildfordbat
hampo17
msp83
JDizzle
Mad for Chelsea
Hoggy_Bear
jimbohammers
dummy_half
Duty281
Mike Selig
Stella
LivinginItaly
Corporalhumblebucket
NickisBHAFC
Shelsey93
GSC
gboycottnut
35 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Who to open the batting with Cook in the first ashes test? - Page 3 Empty Who to open the batting with Cook in the first ashes test?

Post by gboycottnut Tue 28 May 2013, 10:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

With Nick Compton failing with the bat in both test matches V NZ and with him only averaging around the 30 mark overall in test match cricket since his test debut V India last winter, what should England's selectors now do for the first ashes test match?

1) Stick with Compton but on a match by match basis (similar to what the selectors did with Botham's captaincy in 1981)
2) Move Trott up to open the batting
3) Move Bell up to open the batting
4) Move Root up to open the batting
5) Bring in someone like a Michael Carberry
6) Bring back Michael Vaughan out of retirement!

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Who to open the batting with Cook in the first ashes test? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who to open the batting with Cook in the first ashes test?

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:41 pm

Mat wrote:Moeen Ali the first man to 900 first class runs this season and can bowl a tidy bit of spin. Maybe he should bat number 6!

In all seriousness, the selectors must be very confident in the abilities of Root AND Bairstow to go for what is quite a bold move. Hopefully Root proves himself a capable international opener, because he was certainly proving to be an excellent middle order option.

Agreed it is a very bold move by the selectors, as I am far from convinced about Bairstow at 6, but at least we know in Prior at 7 we have a quality wicket keeper batsman
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Who to open the batting with Cook in the first ashes test? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who to open the batting with Cook in the first ashes test?

Post by chrisss Tue 25 Jun 2013, 4:59 pm

JDizzle wrote:That's true, it has been a lot better recently. I personally think Taylor would be a better option than Bell at the top of the order but with KP coming back we will not find out. He struggles as he is really competing with Trott for a place and with the runs he is scoring atm, Taylor has no chance! Woakes being mentioned earlier on in the thread as being picked in the ODI side when a better 4 day player when Taylor is the other way round was the one that set me off!

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Taylor's picked for the Australia ODIs- as you've got to imagine that after playing the NZ Test series, the NZ ODI series, the Championship Trophy and the Ashes at least one of Cook, Bell and Trott will be rested for the Aus ODIs.

chrisss

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 25 Jun 2013, 5:33 pm

I'd imagine Bell will make way for KP anyway. Dropped dressed up as rotation.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Jun 2013, 6:40 pm

Im happy to see Root going up to open, he is the future, compton isnt.

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 26 Jun 2013, 10:52 am

Root has been selected as an opener.....on the basis of his good show in the middle order against NZ.Shocked

Firstly it is middle order......secondly it is NZ.

and by no means it means that he will succeed against Australia as an opener.....where a completely diffrent set of dynamics of feet movement, hand-eye coordination and temperment is required.

So is this a gamble ??

A huge one.....a possibly triple negative......
--higher chance of losing a wicket early as the opener is tooo adventrous and strokeful
--Losing the more assured runs from Root coming from middle order...
--surrendering early advantage to Australia....if the above two were to be true.

It is too big a gamble in the opening tests of a vital series.

a more balanced and assured approach would have been to keep Compton as the opener for the first two tests......gain some ascendancy in the series and then throw Root in as an opener if Compton still didn't work.

I just believe that england has made a bad move here.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 11:04 am

He's a natural opener though, it's his best position.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 11:11 am

As Root opened in county cricket for Yorks in testing circumstances at headingley for some time, he might be able to adapt quickly. But yes, he did look natural in the middle order, and more importantly, provided the middle order a sense of solidity and solved England's long term problem with the number6 position. It remains to be seen whether Bairstow will be able to job. And also interesting to see how long it takes for Root to get used to opening at international level. Seems like England have made up their mind about Root opening in place of Compton, but if he failes to deliver at the top in the warm-up match, and if Compton goes on to score some big runs in the tour match, things might change again.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 26 Jun 2013, 11:48 am

Can anyone advise what will selectors do if Root fails as an opener in let's say first two tests ??

--will they carry on with him as an opener?

--will they remove him as an opener.....and if removed, who will come back to open ? Compton ?

--will they move Root back to middle order?.....what if Bairstow had gotten two 50s in two tests.......will they drop Root completely from the XI Shocked

Or will they drop Biarstow who has scored two fifties Shocked

The Americans coined a phrase that sounds very apt in this situation:

if it ain't broke don't fix it'

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 11:56 am

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013/engine/match/566928.html

Somerset batting against an Australian XI right now. Compton unbeaten on 15 so far. A ton would really make the selectors think...

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed 26 Jun 2013, 11:59 am

How close to the preferred test XI do you think the Aussies line-up vs Somerset is?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 26 Jun 2013, 12:00 pm

Hoggy_Bear wrote:How close to the preferred test XI do you think the Aussies line-up vs Somerset is?

Doubt they will play Khawaja and Hughes. Can't see five bowlers plus Watson either.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed 26 Jun 2013, 12:05 pm

Yeah. I suppose Warner or Rogers will come in (possibly both)

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 26 Jun 2013, 10:22 pm

Compton got 81 today.

Also the England selectors have got him a game for Worcestershire against the Aussies next week.

Obviously not as out of the plans as we first thought
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 26 Jun 2013, 10:23 pm

And Somerset had a collapse and a half.

Went from 304-2 to 320 all out!!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed 26 Jun 2013, 10:43 pm

If he had failed he wouldn't have been in the Worcestershire game

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 11:05 pm

I'm not sure that either of you are correct about Compton and Worcester...

My understanding is that Worcestershire made an approach about getting a ringer or two in and were given Compton. It is highly unlikely that he will displace Bairstow at this stage but England were happy to give him FC cricket as he would likely play if one of the top three were injured. I think he'd have been playing in that game whether he made 0, 81 or 300 today. The move makes sense for all parties: adds something extra to the fixture for Worcs, provides a stiffer challenge for Oz, gives him practice if one of the top 3 breaks a finger before the 1st Test and shows Compton himself that his dream isn't quite dead.

Bairstow's position might not be entirely secure but I can't see Root being shuffled down again (although I believe he is best used at 5 or 6). That might provide an opportunity for the in form Bopara, though probably not until a couple of Tests have passed.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 26 Jun 2013, 11:07 pm

Ah I thought the ECB put him in ala Strauss with Somerset a few years back
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 26 Jun 2013, 11:10 pm

Compton shouldn't play in the ashes end off. Not up to the standard yet.

KP in for him, were sorted.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 27 Jun 2013, 12:40 am

He just scored 81 against the test standard attack England are about to play.

And back to back centuries over the winter.

You may want to consider your standards.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Thu 27 Jun 2013, 9:28 am

Shelsey93 wrote:I'm not sure that either of you are correct about Compton and Worcester...

My understanding is that Worcestershire made an approach about getting a ringer or two in and were given Compton. It is highly unlikely that he will displace Bairstow at this stage but England were happy to give him FC cricket as he would likely play if one of the top three were injured. I think he'd have been playing in that game whether he made 0, 81 or 300 today. The move makes sense for all parties: adds something extra to the fixture for Worcs, provides a stiffer challenge for Oz, gives him practice if one of the top 3 breaks a finger before the 1st Test and shows Compton himself that his dream isn't quite dead.

Bairstow's position might not be entirely secure but I can't see Root being shuffled down again (although I believe he is best used at 5 or 6). That might provide an opportunity for the in form Bopara, though probably not until a couple of Tests have passed.

I'd be a bit disappointed if that's true. Great chance for some of our younger lads who have been playing well lately like Pardoe, Fell, Leach to get perhaps a once in a lifetime chance to play against an Australian side. But with Compton to come in, it's likely one of those will drop out. Not sure what Worcestershire get out of it all, Compton is hardly going to sell tickets, which is pretty irrelevant anyway as I'm fairly certain the tickets are nearly sold out.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 27 Jun 2013, 10:25 am

If Compton continues to get runs in the tour game next week as well, if he scores a ton+, it will be difficult to drop him I suppose. Root has been an impressive young lad and I believe he shouldn't have too many problems opening the innings, but him in the middle order gives England's lineup a greater sense of solidity and security about it. So I hope Compton gets a big one against the Australians and make himself undroppable.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 27 Jun 2013, 10:44 am

I think the decision's already made, unfortunately.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 27 Jun 2013, 11:19 am

NickisBHAFC wrote:Compton shouldn't play in the ashes end off. Not up to the standard yet.

KP in for him, were sorted.

You say "yet" but I think it is now or never for Compton, as I feel that if he does improve in the next couple of years he will be deemed a bit too old to be brought back into the side. If he gets better he will probably be the next Carberry i.e. one of the outstanding openers at county level but a bit too old to be bringing into the England team.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 27 Jun 2013, 11:26 pm

Mat wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:I'm not sure that either of you are correct about Compton and Worcester...

I'd be a bit disappointed if that's true. Great chance for some of our younger lads who have been playing well lately like Pardoe, Fell, Leach to get perhaps a once in a lifetime chance to play against an Australian side. But with Compton to come in, it's likely one of those will drop out. Not sure what Worcestershire get out of it all, Compton is hardly going to sell tickets, which is pretty irrelevant anyway as I'm fairly certain the tickets are nearly sold out.

Now now Matthew, it's all about coming together to beat the Australians.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 27 Jun 2013, 11:43 pm

Wouldn't have thought Somerset would agree if the ECB didn't request it, seeing as how he will miss games for Somerset in that time.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:09 am

Correct Hodge - it was an ECB request.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 28 Jun 2013, 12:41 pm

this is a no brainer isnt it.

J Root

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Sun 30 Jun 2013, 12:03 am

I see from Twitter we've now got Boyd Rankin playing for Worcs against the Aussies as well now. A bear in our shirt, god I feel sick already. Guess it's all for the greater good, apparently.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 30 Jun 2013, 7:28 am

I don't think it's in stone that Compton won't start the first Ashes test.

By "dropping" Compton, it gives Compton two matches to prove his form, and also allows the selectors to have a look at Root at the top of the order. They can still revert to Root in the middle for the tests. If Compton then doesn't get runs in the first couple of tests, they'll have more of an idea about whether Root should open.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 30 Jun 2013, 10:14 am

robbo277 wrote:I don't think it's in stone that Compton won't start the first Ashes test.

By "dropping" Compton, it gives Compton two matches to prove his form, and also allows the selectors to have a look at Root at the top of the order. They can still revert to Root in the middle for the tests. If Compton then doesn't get runs in the first couple of tests, they'll have more of an idea about whether Root should open.

that is the most accruate summation of the situation as it stands now OK
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 30 Jun 2013, 10:22 am

Aye, it does give the selectors the best of both worlds really. Compton gets 2 games vs the Aussies to prove his form, and Root gets a chance to open for England.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 30 Jun 2013, 2:05 pm

I just don't understand why people want Compton to start ahead of Root or KP. Ahead of Bairstow maybe. 

I do really hope Compton can find his form again and make a return to the England side, after the ashes.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 30 Jun 2013, 2:10 pm

I thought it was obvious to everyone that Bairstow was the one to be dropped and Root would stick to his position in the middle order.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Jun 2013, 2:10 pm

Roots score today seemed par enough with a good SR..

Kp looks in amazing form on his return as well

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Jun 2013, 2:12 pm

GSC wrote:I thought it was obvious to everyone that Bairstow was the one to be dropped and Root would stick to his position in the middle order.

you think its obvious that compton should retain his place!!!!

Its a big discussion dude.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 30 Jun 2013, 2:13 pm

No, obvious that if he played, Bairstow was the one to be dropped.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 30 Jun 2013, 2:15 pm

KP looks in great touch, which is great news!

He means if Compton is coming back in mysti bairstow would be dropped not KP/Root as Nick says
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Jun 2013, 2:16 pm

I see . Soz GSC

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 30 Jun 2013, 3:23 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:I just don't understand why people want Compton to start ahead of Root or KP. Ahead of Bairstow maybe. 

I do really hope Compton can find his form again and make a return to the England side, after the ashes.
What has KP got to do with this!? If he's fit, he plays, as England's best batsman!. No discussion on his place whatsoever. Actually it isn't even about Root as such. The decision England need to make is, who between Compton and Bairstow. If they go for the latter, Root has to move up to open as a consequence.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Jun 2013, 3:56 pm

msp83 wrote:
NickisBHAFC wrote:I just don't understand why people want Compton to start ahead of Root or KP. Ahead of Bairstow maybe. 

What has KP got to do with this!? If he's fit, he plays, as England's best batsman!. No discussion on his place whatsoever. Actually it isn't even about Root as such. The decision England need to make is, who between Compton and Bairstow. If they go for the latter, Root has to move up to open as a consequence.

Surely Cook is England's best batsman?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 30 Jun 2013, 4:10 pm

I'd argue Trott...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 30 Jun 2013, 4:41 pm

KP is the best, then Trott.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 30 Jun 2013, 4:53 pm

there is KP
then there is daylight

then there are Prior, Trott, Cook etal
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 30 Jun 2013, 4:55 pm

Cook>>>KP>Trott
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Jun 2013, 5:05 pm

I'd probably say Cook, then KP, then Trott, then the rest.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 30 Jun 2013, 5:12 pm

KP, Cook, Trott.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Jun 2013, 8:40 pm

Cook = KP > Trott .

Root will make 4th his own very soon. And shortly after will be contending the top 3.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 30 Jun 2013, 8:41 pm

No pressure on the lad then.

I'd say hes quite far off Prior atm.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Jun 2013, 8:45 pm

He isnt reading

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 30 Jun 2013, 8:47 pm

Matty Prior is quality, I'd have Root level/just behind Bell at the moment he's had a good start to his career but Ravi Bopara looked the next big thing in Tests once. Got a long way to go yet
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next