The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who to open the batting with Cook in the first ashes test?

+31
KP_fan
chrisss
Mat
hodge
Fists of Fury
liverbnz
Gregers
meden_820
robbo277
alfie
Marcus
Good Golly I'm Olly
ShankyCricket
teassoc
guildfordbat
hampo17
msp83
JDizzle
Mad for Chelsea
Hoggy_Bear
jimbohammers
dummy_half
Duty281
Mike Selig
Stella
LivinginItaly
Corporalhumblebucket
NickisBHAFC
Shelsey93
GSC
gboycottnut
35 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Who to open the batting with Cook in the first ashes test? - Page 4 Empty Who to open the batting with Cook in the first ashes test?

Post by gboycottnut Tue 28 May 2013, 10:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

With Nick Compton failing with the bat in both test matches V NZ and with him only averaging around the 30 mark overall in test match cricket since his test debut V India last winter, what should England's selectors now do for the first ashes test match?

1) Stick with Compton but on a match by match basis (similar to what the selectors did with Botham's captaincy in 1981)
2) Move Trott up to open the batting
3) Move Bell up to open the batting
4) Move Root up to open the batting
5) Bring in someone like a Michael Carberry
6) Bring back Michael Vaughan out of retirement!

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Who to open the batting with Cook in the first ashes test? - Page 4 Empty Re: Who to open the batting with Cook in the first ashes test?

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Jun 2013, 8:58 pm

Some sportsmen have something different. You can smell it, you can see it from the first few moments of watching them..

Anyway at the moment Root has no level- he needs at least 20 matches before we can really asses him. I am going on my gut.. I am sure the feeling is in all your guts as well. You just dont wanna jinx him or sound ott over him Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Who to open the batting with Cook in the first ashes test? - Page 4 Empty Re: Who to open the batting with Cook in the first ashes test?

Post by Carrotdude Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:15 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread for this so bear with me. Just had a look at Ian Bell's Test match record over the last couple of years and was a bit surprised. Since his 235 against India in 2011 he has batted 34 times, scored 1 hundred and averaged just over 32. Really thought he'd been doing better than that - I wonder if his place will be questioned if he has a bad Ashes series?

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:26 pm

I don't want to turn this thread into one of my fav subjects(bell bash!!)

But it is kind of disapointing I agree Carrotdude!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:30 pm

Bell might well be feeling the pressure from Taylor if he has a poor series.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 01 Jul 2013, 6:24 am

I'd say Trott and KP above Cook. Cook still looks a bit vulnerable to quality swing bowling IMO.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 01 Jul 2013, 9:05 am

KP the main man for me - so much more talented than the rest and far more destructive whilst being just as consistent statistically.

Cook and Trott next in line in, though Ian Bell is the second most talented man in that team.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:12 pm

Maybe Graeme Swann should open with Cook?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:20 pm

Ooops.
Jinxed him:doh: 

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 7:48 pm

Hoggy_Bear wrote:Maybe Graeme Swann should open with Cook?
And Tim Bresnan at 3!!!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Mon 01 Jul 2013, 8:46 pm

Or we could just drop Swann, keep Bairstow AND Compton, and use Root as our spin-bowling all-rounder.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 01 Jul 2013, 8:52 pm

^^^^^

I am not sure which suggestion is crazier!!

kiss 

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 01 Jul 2013, 9:35 pm

Even more radical, bring in Dernbach
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 01 Jul 2013, 9:42 pm

GSC wrote:Even more radical, bring in Dernbach

Not a bad option to have in event that Australia need to score 190 to win off about 20 overs in order to win/save the series.  (He's certainly got his act together again for the most recent couple of T20 matches for Surrey.) But on the whole not a good idea to select anyone for a test match against that unlikely scenario. Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:45 pm

GSC wrote:Even more radical, bring in Dernbach

tbf i would play Dernbach in the 20/20 but no other format.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 7:20 am

Dernbach's obvious ability to bring the best out of batsman should make him England's next batting coach!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 02 Jul 2013, 1:54 pm

England's best net bowler...

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:07 am

How about we all just play for England Instead.

I play at number 3..But unlike Trott my SR is 200

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:40 am

What's your average though mysti?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:44 am

about 7

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:00 pm

Compton with another 50 today against Aus and still going I believe

Bairstow not really impressing in the Essex game.

Not looking like a tough decision at the minute
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:04 pm

Theyve clearly made the decision to go with Root to partner Cook at the top, so Compton isnt going to displace Bairstow in the middle order
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:19 pm

I agree GSC but why play him against the Aussies? Weird!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:20 pm

Compton on 57. He really needs to convert this into a hundred if he has to make the selectors rethink.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:24 pm

Olly wrote:Compton with another 50 today against Aus and still going I believe

Compton can't be trusted. Bairstow can though.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:25 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:
Olly wrote:Compton with another 50 today against Aus and still going I believe

Compton can't be trusted. Bairstow can though.

Trusted to do what?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:47 pm

Bairstow can be trusted to get bowled by a straight ball from any seamer in the world, whilst attempting to play around it. He's a liability.

Pleased for Compo showing the selectors that they were FAR too hasty in their decision.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 4:12 pm

Compton has moved along to 71, but he hasn't been scoring that much in this partnership with Mitchell. Think Compton has to play a free game here as well to push his case. A big hundred, playing positively should clinch the case.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:10 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23174449

Think Compton may have just kept himself dropped...

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 04 Jul 2013, 12:01 am

Stella wrote:I agree GSC but why play him against the Aussies? Weird!

Trott at the Oval in 09, never hurts to have a backup plan with an inexperienced player.

And yeah, that probably wasn't the smartest interview Comptons ever given
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by DouglasJardinesbox Thu 04 Jul 2013, 7:44 am

If we are using these warm up matches as trials, then Onions for Finn surely?

DouglasJardinesbox

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Jul 2013, 8:01 am

Well all I can say . Thank the ECB and the cricketing gods that sense has prevailed.

Don't get me wrong Compton is an ok open batsmen. But he isn't the future.. He is 30, he has limitations in his shots selections. He scores slow, he isn't busy. he is what he is and will not change. If we had to replace Cook or maybe Trott further down- Ok maybe Compo has a shot.. But not with them two about!!

J root on the other hand. All the shots in the book, busy bee type player, great at singles, great at scoring options, good technical ability, very quick and reactive when batting- will learn so much going in early yet is still performing at a very decent level any way. The sky is the limit.

If you are good enough you are old enough
If you are good enough you are experienced enough

Compton just doesn't balance the England side in my book.. Root is a natural opener in the modern game - Someone to get the innings of in a busier fashion without pinch hitting.

Its time for the middle order to step up- Seeing Swannys and Bresnans scores - even the tail has!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 04 Jul 2013, 1:38 pm

The biggest issue with dropping Compton is that his replacement (in the team) has barely played any cricket over the last 9 months - and ironically it's Team England who are to blame for Bairstow carrying drinks for the majority of the winter and a large part of this summer. Yet if Baistow doesn't hit the ground running people will calling for his head. In fact, the knives are already out as shown further up this thread.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4