The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roger´s fears about the growing use of Mobile phones on court

+3
laverfan
lydian
Haddie-nuff
7 posters

Go down

Roger´s fears about the growing use of Mobile phones on court Empty Roger´s fears about the growing use of Mobile phones on court

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 1 Jun 2013 - 9:45

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/tramlines/federer-fears-over-court-phone-164608703.html

I have to admit though I saw both Stakhovsky and Montfills with mobile phones on court that it never occurred to me, until i read this article about Roger´s concerns, that how this practice could lead to misuse and even cheating.
Do you think they should be banned on court or is this yet another sign of the times ??

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Roger´s fears about the growing use of Mobile phones on court Empty Re: Roger´s fears about the growing use of Mobile phones on court

Post by lydian Sat 1 Jun 2013 - 13:12

I hadn't thought of the coaching angle with phones...clearly an opportunity for misuse. Perhaps they'll negate that by doing what the WTA do and allow the coach on the court once per match. They can't allow detailed instructions via phone to be fed to the players though. So Fed has a point.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Roger´s fears about the growing use of Mobile phones on court Empty Re: Roger´s fears about the growing use of Mobile phones on court

Post by laverfan Sat 1 Jun 2013 - 19:20

In schools in my area (VA US), all electronic devices are banned on the day of examinations. A calculator is allowed for Engineering students only.

No one has yet shown a desire to hack a TI85 to add WiFi/3g/4g and use SMS/email for such purposes though.

It is sad to see technology being abused, but human ingenuity has no bounds.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 1 Jun 2013 - 19:33

Hadn't thought of it but he's right. They should be banned, it's a no-brainer.

Monfils is completely in the clear though, he asked for permission as per the rules.

Stakhovsky is a known fool.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 1 Jun 2013 - 19:38

I am with Roger Federer on this one. I see absolutely no need for players to have them on court anyway. Aside from the coaching what about if they were to get random phone calls mid-rally. laughing
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 1 Jun 2013 - 19:44

Surely the biggest issue here is gambling.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 1 Jun 2013 - 20:01

I personally agree with Roger the more I think about it the possibilities of cheating and of course what you suggest djl are endless. I see no reason why a player would want to take a mobile phone on court anyway.

There would be ways that a player could receive text messages without even living the court to use the rest rooms .

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 1 Jun 2013 - 20:53

The gambling is probably a slightly scarier scenario. Imagine a guy serving in the beginning of the second set, during a 250, being messaged to DF the first point of the set. We'd never know, and it wouldnt mean a thing in the bigger picture.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 1 Jun 2013 - 21:32

I agree but also the scenario of having the phone on mute and receiving a text message from the coach in the change over or between sets.The phone concealed in the bag with the clean shirt and could be viewed without anyone seeing.
How do we know this hasn´t already been happening. ??

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down