The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland team for Samoa!

+27
Biltong
highland_scot
IanBru
RDW
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
tigertattie
Captain_Sensible
RuggerRadge2611
EST
bsando
GLove39
Cryptoyourisan
Majestic83
Notch
reallybored
Fluxy
flyhalffactory
Imperialbigdave
George Carlin
Pat_Mustard
bluestonevedder
Bathman_in_London
R!skysports
funnyExiledScot
ChequeredJersey
sensisball
31 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scotland team for Samoa! Empty Scotland team for Samoa!

Post by sensisball Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:04 pm

A youthful team selection for Samoa match:

Greig Tonks (Edinburgh),
Sean Lamont (Glasgow),
Alex Dunbar (Glasgow),
Matt Scott (Edinburgh),
Tim Visser (Edinburgh),
Tom Heathcote (Bath),
Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh),
Ryan Grant (Glasgow),
Pat MacArthur (Glasgow),
Euan Murray (Worcester),
Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh),
Alastair Kellock (Glasgow),
Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan),
Kelly Brown (Saracens) (Captain),
Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier).

Replacements: Stevie Lawrie (Edinburgh), Alasdair Dickinson (Sale), Geoff Cross (Edinburgh), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester), Ryan Wilson (Glasgow), Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow), Peter Horne (Glasgow), Duncan Taylor (Saracens).

Not a very dynamic second row pairing or a well balanced back row but nice to see MacArthur, Dunbar and Tonks getting their debuts.
Discuss

Last edited by sensisball on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistakes!)

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Scotland team for Samoa! Empty Re: Scotland team for Samoa!

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:23 pm

To be fair, with Rennie and Barclay both out you were going to struggle with balancing the backrow
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:57 pm

Looks a good team selection to me, particularly the backline. Pleased in particular to see Scott and Dunbar starting together in the centres - a very promising combination in my opinion, and a good chance this for Tom Heathcote to start a game.

No choice really with the backrow - injuries to the opensides leaves us short, and given this is Samoa, a big and physical backrow, albeit short on pace, isn't a bad thing to have. Ryan Wilson a tad unlucky not to oust Beattie after a very strong finish to the season.

I'm going to feel very guilty this weekend sitting indoors watching both the Lions and Scotland play, especially if this glorious weather persists.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:01 pm

FES - I think it is going to rain, so it is all right to stay in and watch

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:06 pm

I was going to watch anyway.......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:10 pm

I was sure you would, but this is just added joy

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:25 pm

On the debut front also worth mentioning Steve Lawrie and Duncan Taylor who would come off the bench to make debuts. Lawrie has been around a while but I can honestly say his performances for Edinburgh this season have been first rate. As for Taylor, just ask IBD. Future king of kings.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:55 pm

Does anyone know whether this is likely to be a full strength Samoan squad?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:57 pm

Wonder why the Scotland match is not referenced in the Fixtures page on the BBC?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:17 pm

What's happened to Rob Harley? Is he not touring?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:54 pm

Rob Harley hasn't made the cut.

Risky - it's because Jonny Wilkinson isn't playing.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 04 Jun 2013, 3:00 pm

Thanks FeS.

I thought he had a decent Six Nations to be honest. I'm surprised he's not there. But then, I don't get to catch too many Rabo games so unsure of his club form.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Tue 04 Jun 2013, 3:04 pm

His performances have confirmed that he is an outstanding defensive blindside but his handling and carrying need work. I'd still have taken him instead of Strokosch, especially given the emphasis on building for the future in this tournament. Also he scored the winning try on his debut last time we played Samoa!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 04 Jun 2013, 3:16 pm

Pat_Mustard wrote:His performances have confirmed that he is an outstanding defensive blindside but his handling and carrying need work. I'd still have taken him instead of Strokosch, especially given the emphasis on building for the future in this tournament. Also he scored the winning try on his debut last time we played Samoa!

He is certainly a big old physcial blindside. I was impressed. Can't recall any stand-out attacking moves by him though, so maybe it was the best idea to leave him at home. Strokosch is dependable at least, but certainly nothing spectacular. It's odd that if Harley was left because of his lack of attacking game, that Strokosch was selected instead. He's hardly a carrying blindisde?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Tue 04 Jun 2013, 3:23 pm

I agree entirely. Maybe the management decided it would be better for him to rest up ahead of next season. I don't know if he's carrying any injuries but there might be something minor we don't know about. Does seem strange to me otherwise.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Jun 2013, 3:52 pm

Or the Samoans look so scary we needed to field someone who looks as though he eats nails for lunch and whose hair has retreated from his head in fear. Not that the colour of Harley's own heed isn't reasonably terrifying in its own right.

I'm assuming that Big Jim is still trying to replace the 10kg of fluid he lost in Honkers so my only real worry is Gilchrist matched with the Ruck Inspector which lacks both real bulk and real dog. Like the halfbacks, like the centre combos, like the fact that Tonks is getting a chance rather than Murchie. Schlong will bring his usual approach and his experience will be welcomed although I think that Tommy Seymour offers more.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 4:28 pm

George Carlin wrote:Or the Samoans look so scary we needed to field someone who looks as though he eats nails for lunch and whose hair has retreated from his head in fear. Not that the colour of Harley's own heed isn't reasonably terrifying in its own right.

I'm assuming that Big Jim is still trying to replace the 10kg of fluid he lost in Honkers so my only real worry is Gilchrist matched with the Ruck Inspector which lacks both real bulk and real dog. Like the halfbacks, like the centre combos, like the fact that Tonks is getting a chance rather than Murchie. Schlong will bring his usual approach and his experience will be welcomed although I think that Tommy Seymour offers more.

I heard big Jim had a breakdown after he dropped below the 30 stone mark for the first time since his fourth birthday

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Jun 2013, 5:39 pm

It was pretty funny watching Big Jim trying to cover the wing against Alex Cuthbert in Hong Kong - always going to be a try. Articulated lorry vs Ferrari!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 04 Jun 2013, 6:14 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote: As for Taylor, just ask IBD. Future king of kings.

hell yeah!

Ps. membership to the Duncan Taylor fan club is now open. Upon joining, you will receive a 6x2 poster of Duncan, a mug, a "Dieux au stade" calander, featuring only Duncan, and an afro wig. Just quote promo code: IWANTDUNCANSBABIES for a 5% discount.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Jun 2013, 6:20 pm

Laugh

I prefer ASBO's Bennett fanclub. Upon joining you get a bucket and spade, a dummy (for spitting out upon non-selection) and a crown of thorns. No discount though.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 04 Jun 2013, 6:23 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote: No discount though.

And thats where it falls down. Just like Mark himself when he tries to take his first steps
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Jun 2013, 6:26 pm

On the upside, with Bennett, you do get eternal salvation.
Have to factor that into any vfm analysis.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Jun 2013, 6:37 pm

George Carlin wrote:On the upside, with Bennett, you do get eternal salvation.
Have to factor that into any vfm analysis.

We're lawyers GC, no need for eternal salvation. We don't commit sins, we just faciliate them. Pretty sure my engagement letter has words to that effect anyway!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 04 Jun 2013, 6:40 pm

Yea, no lawyer ever got into heaven. You can give yourselves to the messiah all you want, the fire and brimstone of Duncan Taylor beckons.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Jun 2013, 6:40 pm

Totally. We are also happy to structure fee arrangements appropriate to the level and nature of sinning required. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 04 Jun 2013, 7:04 pm

At last Dunbar and Scott, that's a potential marriage made in heaven........ would have liked to seen Horne start at 10 tho

Mr Gatland take note

Midfield
12 An effective, skilful, opportunity creating I/C
13 An effective, aware, pacey good off both feet, aware and strong O/C

Back Three
Two strong, pacey, direct footballers & wingers, and an equally rapid FB

Half Backs
Fast distribution, very accurate open play and dead ball kicking, and intelligent pivotal decision making

Mr G you know it makes sense
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Tue 04 Jun 2013, 7:08 pm

Stupid question, but why's happened to Denton? Would've thought he'd be perfect to play against Samoa.

Although Samoa did get drubbed by the golden Lions the past weekend.

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Tue 04 Jun 2013, 7:16 pm

Really pleased to see Dunbar and MacArthur get their debut, both have played well this season and deserve a chance.

Excited to see Heathcote get a proper opportunity but it's a shame Weir is missing.

Not a bad side considering we're missing Ford, Gray, Rennie, Barclay, Cusiter, Weir, Maitland and Hogg.

Are people confident?

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 04 Jun 2013, 7:45 pm

Any news on the Samoa team?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 7:46 pm

Fluxy wrote:Stupid question, but why's happened to Denton? Would've thought he'd be perfect to play against Samoa.

Denton intimated he would prefer not to play this game as the Samoans are a bit rough and might mess up his new
hair style!!

Seriously though Denton is extremely lucky to be on tour. Terrible season for Edinburgh and his attitude at the moment
is really letting him down as it seems the 15minutes of fame from his first season with Scotland has gone to his head
by all accounts!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 04 Jun 2013, 7:46 pm

Fluxy wrote:Stupid question, but why's happened to Denton? Would've thought he'd be perfect to play against Samoa.

I would have thought he will be in against SA, although he has had a poor season to be honest
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Jun 2013, 7:48 pm

reallybored wrote:Really pleased to see Dunbar and MacArthur get their debut, both have played well this season and deserve a chance.

Excited to see Heathcote get a proper opportunity but it's a shame Weir is missing.

Not a bad side considering we're missing Ford, Gray, Rennie, Barclay, Cusiter, Weir, Maitland and Hogg.

Are people confident?
Well, this definitely helped OK :

Golden Lions smash Samoa in Johannesburg
Article Published: Saturday 1 June 2013

http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=39275

Samoa came unstuck in the set-pieces and defensively as they crashed to a humiliating 74-14 defeat at the hands of the Golden Lions in their match at Ellis Park on Saturday.

The Lions scored 10 tries and most of them came from a long way out, especially in the second half when they capitalised on a 27-14 lead at the break.

The Samoans were penalised heavily at the scrums and battled at the lineout and this, together with their lacklustre defence, especially out wide, allowed the Lions to run rampant.

Although the visitors have been disrupted by several injuries, they are going to have to pull themselves together quickly if they are to be competitive in the quadrangular series with Scotland, Italy and South Africa that starts next weekend.

The Lions were on the scoreboard first through a penalty by flyhalf Marnitz Boshoff in the third minute, but it was Samoa who grabbed the first try as they attacked well on the blindside and wing Alesana Tuilagi powered over the line.

However, Lions flank Derick Minnie, who had been brought on as a 15th-minute replacement for Jaco Kriel, then scored a hat-trick of tries to put them on the front foot.

The home side were lethal on the drive in the first half, putting the Samoans under enormous pressure in the tight exchanges.

Although eighthman Ofisa Treviranus scored for the tourists on the stroke of half-time, the Lions produced a sizzling second-half display to complete the rout.

The Samoans were burned on the outside by the Lions' pace and wing Anthony Volmink scored first after the break with the try of the day, running 95 metres to score after a turnover on attack by the visitors.

The Lions then successfully shut their opponents out of the game as fullback Chrysander Botha, replacement flyhalf Lionel Cronje, outside centre Stokkies Hanekom (twice) and substitute scrumhalf Ross Cronje all scored tries after long-range breakouts.

Judging by their display, these are darks days indeed for Samoan rugby.

Final Score Golden Lions 74 (27) Samoa 14 (14)

Scorers

Golden Lions
Tries: Derick Minnie (3), Anthony Volmink, Chrysander Botha, Lionel Cronje, Stokkies Hanekom (2), Ross Cronje, Deon van Rensburg
Conversions: Marnitz Boshoff (3), Lionel Cronje (6)
Penalties: Boshoff (2).

Samoa
Tries: Alesana Tuilagi, Ofisa Treviranus
Conversions: Ki Anufe (2).

Teams

Golden Lions

Chrysander Botha, Deon van Rensburg, Stokkies Hanekom, Alwyn Hollenbach, Anthony Volmink, Marnitz Boshoff, Michael Bondesio, Warren Whiteley (captain), Warwick Tecklenburg, Jaco Kriel, Hugo Kloppers, Gavin Annandale, Ruan Dreyer, Robbie Coetzee, JC Janse van Rensburg.

Replacements: Francois du Toit, Jacques van Rooyen, Willie Britz, Derick Minnie, Ross Cronje, Lionel Cronje, Dylan des Fountain, Ruan Combrink/CJ van der Linde.

Samoa

15 Paul Williams (c), 14 Sinoti Sinoti, 13 Seilala Mapusua, 12 Isaia Tuifua, 11 Alesana Tuilagi, 10 Ki Anufe, 9 Junior Poluleuligaga, 8 Ofisa Treviranus, 7 Fa'alemiga Selesele, 6 Alafoti Faosiliva, 5 Charles Baggot, 4 Fa'atiga Lemalu, 3 James Johnston, 2 Manu Leiataua, 1 Sam Aiono.

Replacements: 16 Wayne Ole Avei, 17 Sakaria Taulafo, 18 Logovi'i Mulipola, 19 Hannes Ludick, 20 Jason Fraser, 21 Alatasi Tupou, 22 Robert Lilomaiava, 23 Brandon Va'aulu.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 04 Jun 2013, 9:09 pm

Im amazed Derrick Minnie never got picked up by another team when the Lions went under. Along with Strauss he was part of a pretty good backrow, for all their failings in other departments.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 9:15 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:Im amazed Derrick Minnie never got picked up by another team when the Lions went under. Along with Strauss he was part of a pretty good backrow, for all their failings in other departments.

Totally agree, one of the best opensides in South Africa and also the super rugby last season. Would be a great signing for any team and wouldn't be too expensive considering the low wages for rugby players in SA. I'm surprised Strauss hasn't mentioned him to the Glasgow management since they are looking for a 7 and the fact he is uncapped.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 9:18 pm

reallybored wrote:Really pleased to see Dunbar and MacArthur get their debut, both have played well this season and deserve a chance.

Are people confident?

That's pretty impressive actually, they'd all start except Barclay if fit and on form.

Confidence wise, I don't have confidence for Scotland they usually save their bet performances when I've completely given up on them i.e last 10minutes against England and Ireland, Australia after a Wooden spoon and Italy this year after four straight defeats and their victory against France contrasting with performances against Wales, Tonga and the annual first game of the six nations before which I've convinced myself (and attempted to convince everyone on here) that it's Scotland's years and then the first game produces a slow start and a disappointment.

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 9:21 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:Im amazed Derrick Minnie never got picked up by another team when the Lions went under. Along with Strauss he was part of a pretty good backrow, for all their failings in other departments.

Totally agree, one of the best opensides in South Africa and also the super rugby last season. Would be a great signing for any team and wouldn't be too expensive considering the low wages for rugby players in SA. I'm surprised Strauss hasn't mentioned him to the Glasgow management since they are looking for a 7 and the fact he is uncapped.

Just seen a video of him on youtube there's no doubt about his nationality

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 04 Jun 2013, 9:39 pm

I take it back, it appears that hes also playing for the sharks this season.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:42 pm

Is the Samoan team out yet?

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Jun 2013, 11:03 pm

Cryptoyourisan wrote:Is the Samoan team out yet?
Nope.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 11:13 pm

If anyone's interested here's the highlights of Samoa's (74-14) mauling at the hands of the Golden Lions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t8cwovVC0ME

Not sure if we can read too much into it since not all of the Samoan team had arrived in time to play this game (although there were some big names on display like Paul Williams, Alesana Tuilagi & Mapusua).

From that game, Samoa's fitness looks suspect, they were absolutely hammered in the 2nd half and there defence out wide looks very vulnerable. Plus their pack was heavily penalised.
So here's hoping this team turns up in Durban come Saturday!!!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 05 Jun 2013, 12:28 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22765007

Really? Bunch of bloody softies...

Did Scotland have any water breaks during their searing hot tour of the Pacific Islands?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 05 Jun 2013, 12:55 am

The midfield that I have been looking forward to! Heathcote, Scott and Dunbar together has got to be the midfield trio with the most promise that Scotland have fielded for a generation.

I hope they can click! Add in Horne and the Messiah and we are finally starting to have some decent options going forward. I am really looking forward to this series, should be a belter!

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Jun 2013, 7:08 am

GLove39 wrote:If anyone's interested here's the highlights of Samoa's (74-14) mauling at the hands of the Golden Lions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t8cwovVC0ME

Not sure if we can read too much into it since not all of the Samoan team had arrived in time to play this game (although there were some big names on display like Paul Williams, Alesana Tuilagi & Mapusua).

From that game, Samoa's fitness looks suspect, they were absolutely hammered in the 2nd half and there defence out wide looks very vulnerable. Plus their pack was heavily penalised.
So here's hoping this team turns up in Durban come Saturday!!!
I'd love this to be a sign of a new era of rugby crapness for our Samoan brethren (at least for as long as it takes us to leapfrog their world ranking) but to be absolutely fair there's another factor that nobody has mentioned - altitute. Soccer City and Ellis Park are the highest stadia in South Africa. If you've been playing at sea level all season and are then plonked 1700m above it and asked to play a team that run at that level every week, the difference will be marked. The Samoans are all big boys - no wonder that it looked like they were unfit.

Obviously, you would argue that they might have factored that into their training but I remember at the World Cup it affected footballers very badly and they're much lighter and more cardio-centric than your average rugby player. I'm fairly sure that Nelspruit is wetlands territory and so there won't be the same problem for the Samoans when they play us. Just saying, like.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:00 am

Looks like a strong Scotland team, I'm glad Heathcoate is getting a good chance after his terrible start at the hands of Robinson.

Interesting to see how Dunbar and Scott get on, it's weird seeing a centre combination that won't rely on route 1 rugby.

As for the backrow we weren't overflowing with options since our primary 7s are both injured.

Oh and It's nice to see the pocket battleship MacArthur getting a start.

Nice team IMO.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:58 am

Bad injury for Healey against the Farce. Will that mean Grant gets a call from Gatland? He may be unavailable for the Samoa game.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Jun 2013, 12:44 pm

I'd imagine it'll either be Grant, Sheridan or Paul James.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 05 Jun 2013, 12:53 pm

Surely it has to be grant???

Bias or not, he has been such a good player in the last 6 months
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 12:54 pm

Grant might have politics on his side too as well as being the best player

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 05 Jun 2013, 2:24 pm

Woah, don't forget that fatty Stevens was taken for his "versatility", being able to "play" on both sides of the scrum - could be a Jonny W call-up!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 05 Jun 2013, 3:25 pm

I think they need another loosehead. Jenkins isn't 100% fit yet, and Vunipola, whilst making a good impression so far, isn't really an 80 minute player.

Stevens is not a good loosehead. He struggles enough in the set piece on his preferred side.

I'd go for either Sheridan or Grant personally. Grant probably deserves it, but I think Sheridan would make a real mess of some of the midweek scrums.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next