The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions 1st Test

+19
wanderingdragon
maestegmafia
Metal Tiger
GavinDragon
littlejohn
Steffan
wales606
jimmyinthewell68
Standulstermen
jelly
majesticimperialman
Notch
flyhalffactory
t1000advancedprototype
JmD
thebluesmancometh
fa0019
RubyGuby
bedfordwelsh
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lions 1st Test Empty Lions 1st Test

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:34 am

OK just a bit of fun but we have now seen everyone (bar the injured) either start or play so out of those we have seen who, if you had would you pick for the test XV

Vunipolo
Hibbard
Jones
AWJ
POC
SOB
Heaslip
Tipuric

Phillips
Sexton

Cuthbert
Roberts
BOD
Bowe

Halfpenny

That would be mine but after all its just fun
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Lions 1st Test Empty Re: Lions 1st Test

Post by RubyGuby Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:48 am

Warburton for SOB and we are there thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:23 am

If Healy is out...

Vunipola, Hibbard, Cole, Gray, POC, Croft, Warburton, Heaslip, Youngs, Sexton, North, Tuilagi, BOD, Bowe, Halfpenny.

Jenkins, Jones, Youngs, Parling, SOB, Phillips, Farrell, Davies

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:48 am

fa0019 wrote:If Healy is out...

Vunipola, Hibbard, Cole, Gray, POC, Croft, Warburton, Heaslip, Youngs, Sexton, North, Tuilagi, BOD, Bowe, Halfpenny.

That would be near opposite of my team mate...

Vunipola
Hibbard
Jones
POc
AWJ
Warburton
Tipuric
SOB
Phillips
Sexton
North
Roberts
Tuilagi
Bowe
Hogg

But we havn't seen Jenkins, Youngs, Parling, and certain players have had a far better platform than most (Ithink the tight 5 today were hampered massively by a backrow unwilling to do the dirty work)

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:07 am

I think we need to see more forward orientated matches to make a judgement on the tight 5. Vunipola has been prominent because the style of loose rugby that has been played so far suits him, and to a lesser extent players like Grey and Healy. Hibbard, Best, Adam Jones, Evans and Cole haven't been prominent because they don't play that style of game, so you can't really make a judgement on them until a tighter match. The test matches obviously won't be as open as the matches so far.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Lions 1st Test Empty Lions with one foot in the test XV?

Post by t1000advancedprototype Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:53 am

So far...

15. Halfpenny
13. BOD
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Sexton
9. Phillips

7. Tipuric
4. POC
1. Vunipola

So far I would say those players have it to lose now but can cement their places with good performances in the coming matches.

I would expect to see Tommy Bowe to fill the 14 berth but I'm still not sure how Gatland will involve Cuthbert. I think because North has such a good all round game, he may start with Cuthbert on the bench as he would be an excellent impact sub and North has the flexibility of switching to centre instead of being subbed for Cuthbert.

I can see either Tuilagi or Cuthbert missing out on the test 23 which would be a real shame. I'd love to see 4 backs on the subs bench but it won't happen.

Competition is too high in the forwards. It's anyones guess.

Test 23 I'd expect to see.

15. Halfpenny
14. Bowe
13. BOD
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Sexton
9. Philips

8. Heaslip
7. Warburton
6. Lydiate
5. POC
4. AWJ
3. Jones
2. Hibbard
1. Vunipola

16. Gethin Jenkins
17. Tom Youngs
18. Dan Cole
19. Richie Gray
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Ben Youngs
22. Owen Farrell
23. Alex Cuthbert

Things to remember:

Gatland took Bowe, POC, BOD and Lydiate for a reason. These players are born leaders and proven stars at the highest levels. They also raise their game when the time calls for it.

Gatland loves the BOD/Roberts thing.
Gatland's game plan is built around Warburton/Lydiate
Gatland will suffocate Australia with power and intensity and bring on more mobile players when the ozzies are worn down.
Gatland loves Halfpenny. Halfpenny is a star.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:54 am

Can we merge this with the other test 1 thread?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:56 am

I would have Cuthbert over North on recent and current form.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:59 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Can we merge this with the other test 1 thread?

Insult removed

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:00 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I would have Cuthbert over North on recent and current form.

So would I'm trying to think how Gatland would do it.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:06 am

I haven't seen the game so far, but apparently from what I have been told Halfpenny was immaculate as far as place place-kicking was concerned, but in every other aspect (against a very poor Forces side) he was nothing to write home about and defence-wise he had a worse game than Hogg did against France. In fact Hogg against a more renowned experienced and very much more talented Baa Baas had an overall better game.

T1000
So apart from his kicking and lets be honest Sexton is a damn accurate kicker so we don't have to rely on 1/2p just for that (and even Hogg himself has proved to be pretty competent) where has he proved to be better than Hogg?

As far as taking players for a reason............ well of course he has!!..... JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER PLAYER ON THE PLANE

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:19 am

"Gatland took Bowe, POC, BOD and Lydiate for a reason. These players are born leaders and proven stars at the highest levels. They also raise their game when the time calls for it."

Don't you think it's a bit much throwing Lydiate in there? I mean he's a good, solid player with an awesome work rate. But he's hardly a world class heavyweight like the other three.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:29 am

Notch wrote:"Gatland took Bowe, POC, BOD and Lydiate for a reason. These players are born leaders and proven stars at the highest levels. They also raise their game when the time calls for it."

Don't you think it's a bit much throwing Lydiate in there? I mean he's a good, solid player with an awesome work rate. But he's hardly a world class heavyweight like the other three.

On top form he is just as influential......... if it wasn't for his many injuries he would already be close to them on reputation.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:40 am

How can you pick Warburton and Jenkins as starters, when they have not played a game yet?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:04 am

It was surprising how much of an impact Parling had when he came on today. Admittedly it was late on, against tiring opposition, but he still did an awful lot of good things in the short time he was on. Which is all the more surprising as he often goes unnoticed for a lot of what he does for England.

And I agree with the points above about Vunipola (and others) - still think he is a great bench option but would be wary of starting with him.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:09 am

Early days but for me

Unsure on LH status
Hibbard
Jones
Gray
POC
will say Lydiate because I don't know
Warburton
Heaslip
Phillips
Sexton
North
Roberts
BOD
Bowe
Halfpenny

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:19 am

Have said from the off that Vunipola would be great off the bench, don't think he is the best scrimmaging prop and may struggle from the off but as he proved today coming off the bench when the game breaks up he can be a handful
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:28 am

1. Mako Vunipola
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Richie Gray
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Sean O'Brien
7. Sam Warburton (c)
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Mike Phillips
10. Johnny Sexton
11. George North
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Rory Best 17. Gethin Jenkins 18. Dan Cole 19. Alun Wyn Jones 20. Justin Tipuric 21. Conor Murray 22. Owen Farrell 23. Manu Tuilagi
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:30 am

I am struggling to see why north is getting the nod ahead of Cuthbert, Cuthberts form has been better prior to the tour and he proved the other day he has a natural ability to finish.

I know his defence can be suspect but then I don't think Norths is brilliant.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:38 am

majesticimperialman wrote:How can you pick Warburton and Jenkins as starters, when they have not played a game yet?

He didn't. He picked Jenkins as a sub (fair given Healy's plight) and Warburton is the captain. Stop the obsession Madge, it's unhealthy. When are you going to start banging on about Healy and Kearney being sent home?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:45 am

i think id go along with the op but Sam going to start so id put him blindside tips at 7 8 is where i can't make my mind up but i only seen the barbarians game .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:47 am

WHY HASN'T RYAN GRANT BEEN CALLED UP BY GATLAND........ Utterly appalled.

Well taking into account some performances (especially taking into account the quality of the 2nd/3rd string Western Forces side) I am also considering players who haven't yet put on the red jersey in anger.

1. Jenkins
2. Youngs
3. Jones

4. Gray
5. POC

6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Heaslip

9. Phillips
10. Sexton

12. Davies
13. Tuilagi

11. North
14. Bowe
15. Hogg

Bench........... TBH can't be asked (distraught at Grants original omission now this is beyond a joke)
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:51 am

flyhalffactory wrote:he was nothing to write home about and defence-wise he had a worse game than Hogg did against France. I

Halfpenny didn't miss a single tackle in the game!

Whereas, Hogg missed a fairly simple tackle on Fofana and let him waltz in for the game winning try

If you didn't see the game, perhaps you shouldn't comment on it.

Halfpenny attacked the line a fair bit more than normal - probably because of the poor standard of the opposition so he wasn't needed as much behind. His only mistake in the game was losing a ball when tracking back against a winger - but he immediately made up for it by flooring the winger while at full pace.

The Lions cannot afford not to play Halfpenny when he kicks 11/11 including about 5 touchline conversions.

Hogg attacked the line a couple of times against the Baabaas,...and knocked on twice.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:54 am

Sextons goal kicking when he came on against the Baa Baas was poor as well so Halfpennys performance for me cements his place as it takes that pressure off Sexton.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:58 am

flyhalffactory wrote:I haven't seen the game so far, but apparently from what I have been told Halfpenny was immaculate as far as place place-kicking was concerned, but in every other aspect (against a very poor Forces side) he was nothing to write home about and defence-wise he had a worse game than Hogg did against France. In fact Hogg against a more renowned experienced and very much more talented Baa Baas had an overall better game
That has gotta be the best analysis ever of a players performance by someone who hasnt even seen the flipin game...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:59 am

POC and Grey are poor calls from most, AWJ had an amazing display today and Parling has looked nothing short of world class on his two appearances off the bench.

Also havn't seen Jenkins or Warbs yet so anyone putting them in your team are just taking a guess IMO

Vunipola
Hibbard
Jones
POC
AWJ
SOB
Tipuric
Heaslip
Phillips
Sexton
North
Roberts
Tuilagi
Cuthbert
Hogg

Would be my team off the last 2 games.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:03 am

Blues,

Why North, didn't think he done anything really out of the ordinary today and Bowe looked more dangerous and given Sexton kicking on Saturday compared to Halfpennys today lets hope any tries are under the posts.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:03 am

The current form backrow is Heaslip, SOB and Tipuric, but balance-wise does that work? I'd argue yes but for one problem - it reduces our line-out options. Thats why Croft/Lydiate at 6 will figure as maintaining and getting possession is more important than having a better ball carrier.

Loving the potential of BOD and Tuilagi - I'm getting an even stronger feeling about these 2 than the BOD/Roberts combo in the last tour. If these two continue to click Austraila will be in heap of trouble!

Shame about Healy as he was a good front runner, so it'll be Jenkins for me - Why are there so many calls for Vunipola? Completely untested at this level...

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:08 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Blues,

Why North, didn't think he done anything really out of the ordinary today and Bowe looked more dangerous and given Sexton kicking on Saturday compared to Halfpennys today lets hope any tries are under the posts.

I think Bowe did well but watch his runs/good work again, they were all set plays that put him in space, or he was put into space, after the first 30 he went AWOL, and rarely came in to look for work. North started slow due to the set plays going Bowes side initially, but he worked hard, broke the line and just as importantl created for other people, not to mention came in and carried in the tight a number of times.

Norths performance today was far better than Bowes IMO

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:11 am

littlejohn,

With Healy possibly out (injury or through cited) Jenkins will need to have a huge game on Saturday, I have said Vunipola would be a great bench option but he is making all the right noises to be considered as a starter.

As regards the backrow I think we all know that as captain if he's fit Warburton will start.

Out of curiosity has a tour captain ever been selected then not played the tests other than for injury?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:24 am

This is the team I would pick if I was also dictating the game plan:

Vunipolo
Hibbard
Jones
Gray
O Connell (very tight call between him and AWJ)
Sean O Brien
Tipuric
Faletau

In that pack there is enough to carry in Vunipolo, O brien and Gray (and hiibard although he is yet to show it on tour) as well as a link man in tipuric and a defensive dog in faletau as well as a leader in poc

Phillips
Sexton
North
Roberts (I will admit i find it very hard to separate him and tuilagi at present and perhaps it is welsh bias and his experience which in my mind gives him the edge for me at present)
Bod - again very close
Bowe - (Very close with Cuthbert but I think Cuthberts defence lets him down)
Halfpennny (Hogg offers the better attacking threat no doubt but it shouldnt be needed with what is in front of him)

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:24 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:POC and Grey are poor calls from most, AWJ had an amazing display today and Parling has looked nothing short of world class on his two appearances off the bench.

Also havn't seen Jenkins or Warbs yet so anyone putting them in your team are just taking a guess IMO

Vunipola
Hibbard
Jones
POC
AWJ
SOB
Tipuric
Heaslip
Phillips
Sexton
North
Roberts
Tuilagi
Cuthbert
Hogg

Would be my team off the last 2 games.

How can you say AWJ had an amazing display today when you consider his opposite numbers Battye who I believe is not even the Forces 2nd choice and Toby Lynn who has not been considered good enough to represent NZ at any level and is now looking to become a Wallaby. I have only seen the first half and The Lions have already lost a Lineout I am assuming AWJ is the lineout general not exactly the bees knees. I considered Jenkins as I haven't been impressed with the front row in both matches so far. I also haven't been as impressed with Tuilagi as some have been (albeit I have only watched the first 40 mins) out of position quite a few times.

I am amazed it took us more than 25 mins to put more than 10 points on the point. IMHO we should have beaten the 116 points that the previous Lions put on that shower the last time as 2013 Forces are an even worse team.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 am

Risca Rev wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:How can you pick Warburton and Jenkins as starters, when they have not played a game yet?

He didn't. He picked Jenkins as a sub (fair given Healy's plight) and Warburton is the captain. Stop the obsession Madge, it's unhealthy. When are you going to start banging on about Healy and Kearney being sent home?

If they are not fit enough then they should be sent home.

I am holding my thoughts about Jenkins and Warburton, untill they have played thier first game. if they come through unscathed, then i will give them the benifit of the doubt. ok.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:13 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:littlejohn,

With Healy possibly out (injury or through cited) Jenkins will need to have a huge game on Saturday, I have said Vunipola would be a great bench option but he is making all the right noises to be considered as a starter.

As regards the backrow I think we all know that as captain if he's fit Warburton will start.

Out of curiosity has a tour captain ever been selected then not played the tests other than for injury?

Agree jenkins needs a big un. His fitness will be a concern but as long as he does well i'd start with jenkins and after 50/60 mins bring on vunipola to finish off australia. Experience really counts in the front row, and we should not underestimate the aussie front 5.

On warburton i agree he will start, all i'm saying is on current form he would not even be my second choice 7!

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:13 am

Steffan wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:I haven't seen the game so far, but apparently from what I have been told Halfpenny was immaculate as far as place place-kicking was concerned, but in every other aspect (against a very poor Forces side) he was nothing to write home about and defence-wise he had a worse game than Hogg did against France. In fact Hogg against a more renowned experienced and very much more talented Baa Baas had an overall better game

That has gotta be the best analysis ever of a players performance by someone who hasnt even seen the flipin game...

Just in case you cannae read I have highlighted the part where I say FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD.............. do you want me to write it a tad slower for you so that you can be sarcastic with reason not sarcastic and a bit daft

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:17 am

People have stated that if fit Warburton will start and perhaps that will be the case....

however do we think, given the way the first two teams have been led by POC and BOD that their would be such disruption if Warburton were not picked?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:17 am

+1

Great team and best line up for 1st test.

Although I hope they feed a few less pies to hibbard before.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:18 am

majesticimperialman wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

If they are not fit enough then they should be sent home.

I am holding my thoughts about Jenkins and Warburton, untill they have played thier first game. if they come through unscathed, then i will give them the benifit of the doubt. ok.

Have you not seen them play before?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:22 am

My view on what positions are fairly nailed in for the first test:

1. * Wide open with jenkins favorite
2. * open
3. Jones
4. * open
5. POC
6. open
7 warburton (he could go at 6, esp if austrlia start with hooper and gill)
8. heaslip
9 phillips
10 sexton
11 open
12 open
13 bod
14 open
15 halfpenny

lots to play for and of course people will step it up to challenge in pretty much every position apart from 3 and 10.

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:22 am

t1000advancedprototype wrote:So far...

15. Halfpenny
13. BOD
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Sexton
9. Phillips

7. Tipuric
4. POC
1. Vunipola

So far I would say those players have it to lose now but can cement their places with good performances in the coming matches.

I would say that you are pretty close in that selection. I still think the best backrow I have seen since Dallaglio, Back and Hill is the Warburton, Tipuric and Faletau combo used in the six nations though Heaslip looked very good today.

It was a bit of a free run in the paddock though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:27 am

Jenkins
Hibbard
Jones
AWJ
Gray
Warburton
Tipuric
Heaslip
Phillips
Sexton
North
Davies
BOD
Bowe
Halfpenny

Vunipola
Youngs
Cole
Gray
SOB
Youngs
Hogg
Maitland

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:36 am

wales606 wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:he was nothing to write home about and defence-wise he had a worse game than Hogg did against France. I

Halfpenny didn't miss a single tackle in the game!

Whereas, Hogg missed a fairly simple tackle on Fofana and let him waltz in for the game winning try

If you didn't see the game, perhaps you shouldn't comment on it.

Halfpenny attacked the line a fair bit more than normal - probably because of the poor standard of the opposition so he wasn't needed as much behind. His only mistake in the game was losing a ball when tracking back against a winger - but he immediately made up for it by flooring the winger while at full pace.

The Lions cannot afford not to play Halfpenny when he kicks 11/11 including about 5 touchline conversions.

Hogg attacked the line a couple of times against the Baabaas,...and knocked on twice.

Amazing comment....... I shouldn't comment on a match if I didn't see it even though I was told by quite a few guys who was watching it.... strewth!

Are you seriously comparing Hogg missing a fast close pass of a bar of soap when justifying Halfpennys inclusion as a FB based on his kicking alone.

Three things
1. I was told by more than one person that Halfpenny was defensively not that good whether that means position-ally or tackling........... so either they are all wrong or you are, I'll reserve judge till I watch the whole match.

2. Sexton is an accurate kicker Gatland admitted that it was a close call between them and he left the final decision to Neil Jenkins as he thought that Sexton would have done an equally good job, he also made highlighted Jenkins has been working close with Hogg who has been wacking them over with ease......I believe Hogg missed one kick in his cameos for Glasgow at the end of the season and with the Ginger Monster guiding him who knows how good he is......

3. We really cant truly assess players based on the quality of opponents today. Against test quality opposition we need players who can play the best against them in all facets of the game.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:42 am

I wasn't saying Halfpenny should be selected on kicking alone, being the best defensive fullback on tour also helps

1. Halfpenny missed 0 tackles and his positioning was fine, saving the Lions when the Force made a neat chip kick through in the Lions 22

2. Halfpenny nailed 11/11 kicks, with about 5 being from the touchline - I can't think of the last time I have seen such a good display from the tee. Sexton was 2/5 on Saturday, Farrell only missed 1 on Saturday but was 1/3 against Wales in his last true test.

3. Pretty sure everyone is not just assessing Halfpenny on this game, being 6Ns player of the tournament and being consistently Wales' best player for the last year (including the tour of Australia where he missed 1 kick in 3 tests) certainly is a factor.

picard
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:50 am

As I said Wales606 guys who have regular rugby watchers (and players) have sated differently so I will reserve judgement until I watch it. If and when I see a defensive lapse I will make a note of the time and come back to you.

If I agree with you and he was defensively perfect then I will state it......... if not then I will expect a reply from you.

As for assessing 1/2p, nothing wrong with saying he is in pole position from that performance but I am sure Gatland will understand the quality of todays opponents when considering all the 23 players play.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:56 am

flyhalffactory wrote:As I said Wales606 guys who have regular rugby watchers (and players) have sated differently so I will reserve judgement until I watch it. If and when I see a defensive lapse I will make a note of the time and come back to you.

If I agree with you and he was defensively perfect then I will state it......... if not then I will expect a reply from you.

As for assessing 1/2p, nothing wrong with saying he is in pole position from that performance but I am sure Gatland will understand the quality of todays opponents when considering all the 23 players play.

Aye.

Gatland and the other coaches will also consider how many times Galfpenny has put himself on the line for his team to successfully get a result. The kid has bags of talent and gives every ounce he has.

Hoggs a fine player but he has some tough competition.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:02 am

Maesteg

Was Halfpennys' game as Wales606 stated defensively perfect?

I would have no problem in 1/2p playing and Kearney bench with Hogg not even in the test 23 as long as that was the best option for the Lions against the Aussie test side. Its just that I think Hogg is a better overall option especially if Sexton gets his kicking boots back on.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:09 am

littlejohn wrote:My view on what positions are fairly nailed in for the first test:

1. * Wide open with jenkins favorite
2. * open
3. Jones
4. * open
5. POC
6. open
7 warburton (he could go at 6, esp if austrlia start with hooper and gill)
8. heaslip
9 phillips
10 sexton
11 open
12 open
13 bod
14 open
15 halfpenny

lots to play for and of course people will step it up to challenge in pretty much every position apart from 3 and 10.

That's probably as sensible a post as I have seen today. Don't agree on 15 but apart from that I am with you 100%
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by wanderingdragon Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:29 pm

I'm not sure what Halfpenny did wrong defensively. Even when he lost the ball to the winger that was due to a high bounce and he did the right thing and nailed the tackle immediately. He didn't drop a ball and didn't miss a tackle.

His goal kicking was sublime and could be the difference in the tests.

For those of you who have forgotten, the Lions won in '97 due, in no small part, to Jenkins ridiculously high goal kicking percentage in the tests.

The Lions lost in Aus in '01 when a certain 'Saint' missed too many vital kicks in the 3rd test.

Halfpenny may not be as 'exciting' to watch as Hogg (who is unquestionably a good player) but Halfpenny will take some shifting from FB no matter how well Hogg plays (and he wasn't that great against the Barbarians - good lines but too many drops)

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:46 pm

What I'd go for currently, but it does change from hour to hour!

1.Vunipola - Healy is a big loss
2.Hibbard
3.Jones
4.Gray
5.O'Connell
6.O'Brien
7.Tipuric
8.Heaslip

9.Phillips - Youngs yet to have a real chance though
10.Sexton

11.North
12.Davies/Roberts/Tuilagi - errr give it time!
13.O'Driscoll
14.Bowe
15.Halfpenny - Hogg is nipping at his heels though

With Vunipola looking good but struggling over the full 80, Jenkins injured and Corbs so recently returned he can't be match fit LH does worry me. Prior to the tour I'd probably have considered my pecking order as Healy-Grant-Sheridan-Jenkins-Vunipola-James-Corbisiero so can't say I'm overly impressed with the replacement even as an Englishman and a fan of Corbs.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Metal Tiger wrote:

+1

Great team and best line up for 1st test.

Although I hope they feed a few less pies to hibbard before.

Youngs? based on what? Philips should start. Cole over Jones? North over Cuthbert? crazy selection.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next