The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daveed Ferrer gonna win the slam without losing a set

+17
summerblues
JubbaIsle
laverfan
Silver
JuliusHMarx
break_in_the_fifth
Haddie-nuff
FedsFan
CAS
socal1976
_homogenised_
banbrotam
Jahu
The Special Juan
Josiah Maiestas
kingraf
invisiblecoolers
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Daveed Ferrer gonna win the slam without losing a set Empty Daveed Ferrer gonna win the slam without losing a set

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 19:25

Daveed Ferrer gonna win the slam without losing a set , come on I have right to dream Very Happy

Well done Little Fella, now go all guns blazing and give it a maximum try, all stars are aligned for your win, hard work gets paid some day, lets hope Its your come sunday. Prove all the doubters wrong that you belong to the Big 5 league. Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Daveed Ferrer gonna win the slam without losing a set Empty Re: Daveed Ferrer gonna win the slam without losing a set

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 19:32

David rules the world censored drumroll drumroll drumroll drumroll notworthy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Daveed Ferrer gonna win the slam without losing a set Empty Re: Daveed Ferrer gonna win the slam without losing a set

Post by kingraf Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 19:39

Well well, I would give him a prayer. And maybe some holy water, a silver knife, Some stake, garlic, and Sunight. Then lace the ball with kryptonite, and some admantium, one of these has to stick, no¿

On a serious note, good on Ferrer for making it this far. And as an aside, I remember telling Socal a sub 6' player is going to win a slam/make the final (I cant remember which) before these 6'6+ guys he kept bigging up. So I just want to say I (might have) told you so..
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 19:49

kingraf wrote:Well well, I would give him a prayer. And maybe some holy water, a silver knife, Some stake, garlic, and Sunight. Then lace the ball with kryptonite, and some admantium, one of these has to stick, no¿

On a serious note, good on Ferrer for making it this far. And as an aside, I remember telling Socal a sub 6' player is going to win a slam/make the final (I cant remember which) before these 6'6+ guys he kept bigging up. So I just want to say I (might have) told you so..
laughing

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 19:52

David Ferrer get 20 odds to win 3-0 in the finals, who wanna take it? Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 19:57

I went to the bathroom and when I got back Ferrer and Tsonga had started AND finished the match. I did not spend that long in there..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 19:58

Josiah Maiestas wrote:I went to the bathroom and when I got back Ferrer and Tsonga had started AND finished the match. I did not spend that long in there..

laughing , post of the day. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 20:11

I'm with you IC, bel1eve in Daveed!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 7 Jun 2013 - 20:19

Ferret in 4
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 0:56

Ferrer winning is not such a pipe dream

Today when he needed to he upped his game and still had tons in reserve

Mind you Jo was particularly pathetic

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by _homogenised_ Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 1:00

The problem for Nadal is, he has played 5 sets again... Ferrer is not out of this as easily as some think. Though I'd still be surprised if he won.

_homogenised_

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 1:31

I will be stunned if Ferrer wins even a single set. No seriously, first slam final against Nadal on clay is probably not a good harbringer of a slam victory. My prediction. Nadal 7-6, 6-3, 6-1 in a horribly dull coronation for the clay court GOAT.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 1:58

The Special Juan wrote:I'm with you IC, bel1eve in Daveed!!

Life is all about belief angel Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 2:01

socal1976 wrote:I will be stunned if Ferrer wins even a single set. No seriously, first slam final against Nadal on clay is probably not a good harbringer of a slam victory. My prediction. Nadal 7-6, 6-3, 6-1 in a horribly dull coronation for the clay court GOAT.

I sincerely hope Ferret breaks that pattern, first 2 sets are very key, Ferrer need to win 1st two sets and go 5-0 up and 40-0 to make sure to be on the safer side coz he might still lose from that position if he is Almugro.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 2:34

I could see Ferrer winning the first set as Rafa possibly could feel a touch leggy. That being said, I have stopped thinking like that a bit after seeing Rafa beat Federer in 5 sets after playing 5 sets with Verdasco and watching Novak beat Rafa after 5 sets with Murray.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by _homogenised_ Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 2:48

There is a price to pay for all that running about... one day the engine is going to break. permanently.

_homogenised_

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 5:24

I would bet by house on Ferrer losing even if he was 2 sets and a double break up.

He's not gonna be able to cope under the pressure of his first slam final against the guy he walks onto court a defeated man.

He can't even cope with the pressure of a normal match against the top three.

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 13:50

In yours and Ferrer's dreams!

Sorry to pour cold water on yours hopes but it is never going to happen. If Ferrer makes it competitive even slightly that is a bonus.

Expect Ferrer to be broken in the first game and Nadal to sprint to the end in an hour and 45 minutes!

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 16:25

FedsFan wrote:In yours and Ferrer's dreams!

Sorry to pour cold water on yours hopes but it is never going to happen. If Ferrer makes it competitive even slightly that is a bonus.

Expect Ferrer to be broken in the first game and Nadal to sprint to the end in an hour and 45 minutes!

Feds Fan, never take life seriously and for sure never take dreams seriously, everybody dream a lot but they never come true most times, but dreaming is so fun. Hug

I neither tend to lose something if Ferrer lose nor tend to gain something if he wins, but now since he made finals everything is win win for the little fella and I am happy for it. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 16:41

What a load of bandwagonners Very Happy On the semi-final thread the day before yesterday I was the only one who said Daveeed would beat Tsonga.. now look at you all.. Of course the little man can win.. Rafa has the utmost respect for him and so he should have. Ive been fighting his corner for the last couple of years..All the criticism that has been levelled against him..... he is one dimensional, he has no talent .. he cant volley he is predictable and God knows what else was said about him. Just check and see his record against all the BIG men. Berdych Raonic, Murray Tsonga .. he is never intimidated. And contrary to belief though he has enormous respect for Rafa (they are after all very very good friends) that wont mean damn all to him when he goes on court.

He is my little champion and I say he can do it.. (I dont know if he can pull it off) but he has the ability to do so.. He is worthy of his semi-final place and I say Vamos Daveeed Viva España If Rafa cant get his 8th trophy then it will go to a man who is well worthy of it.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 16:45

Haddie-nuff wrote:What a load of bandwagonners Very Happy On the semi-final thread the day before yesterday I was the only one who said Daveeed would beat Tsonga.. now look at you all..

Excuse me, I said it so many times David will walk through the semi-finals , its a shame you live on your world and guess everything uttered was for your credit. furious , just on a note I even predicted a st.sets win.

So to say I am bandwagonner is like saying yourself as bandwagonner chief, if for some chance Ferrer end up beating Rafa in the finals, you would come and say "I am the only one who predicted it".

To add more not just me, many predicted Ferrer's easy win over Tsonga, only people who wanted a fairy tale finish hope Tsonga win otherwise it was one of those easy predictions. picard

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 16:48

OOOh bliddy hell ic ... who rattled your cage... did you not see the smiley or are you looking for a whipping boy this afternoon... PARDON ME WHY DONT YOU picard

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 17:00

Is anyone going to watch the final?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 17:11

Yes but then Im a typical Rafa fan Rolling Eyes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 17:16

Well, I am. I have to. But to be frank, this is what the seeding system is made for. So the Best matches are championship deciders. Of course, Nadal reached the #4 seed, than Murray dropped out, so it made no difference here. But it's funny how many people who called on the seedings to reflect the rankings, now arent going to watch because "The Real Final" happened a round earlier. Not pointing to anyone here directly, but I work in sports media, so I read a few forums looking for stories, and it's laughable.

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 17:24

Haddie-nuff wrote:OOOh bliddy hell ic ... who rattled your cage... did you not see the smiley or are you looking for a whipping boy this afternoon... PARDON ME WHY DONT YOU picard

My mistake, I was answering so many thread simultaneously that I failed to recognize your sarcasm Very Happy

@BITF

Who gonna watch the finals? certainly me, If for some reason Ferrer wins I can come back and brag here to hell laughing

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 17:27

kingraf wrote:Well, I am. I have to. But to be frank, this is what the seeding system is made for. So the Best matches are championship deciders. Of course, Nadal reached the #4 seed, than Murray dropped out, so it made no difference here. But it's funny how many people who called on the seedings to reflect the rankings, now arent going to watch because "The Real Final" happened a round earlier. Not pointing to anyone here directly, but I work in sports media, so I read a few forums looking for stories, and it's laughable.

I know, media keeps disrespecting Ferrer, when Federer was at his prime it was all about Federer, then when Nadal came in they made it a Big 2 and the focus remained only for Fedal finals and untill Djoko errupted in scene he got no credit what so ever and then it was all about Fedalovic, then it became Big 4 for all, during all these years a little fella was so consistent at no.5 and reached no.4 quite a few times and beat these guys [barring Federer] quite a couple of times yet no care for him, and they end up sprouting nonsense saying the real final was the previous round. picard

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 17:36

invisiblecoolers wrote:
kingraf wrote:Well, I am. I have to. But to be frank, this is what the seeding system is made for. So the Best matches are championship deciders. Of course, Nadal reached the #4 seed, than Murray dropped out, so it made no difference here. But it's funny how many people who called on the seedings to reflect the rankings, now arent going to watch because "The Real Final" happened a round earlier. Not pointing to anyone here directly, but I work in sports media, so I read a few forums looking for stories, and it's laughable.

I know, media keeps disrespecting Ferrer, when Federer was at his prime it was all about Federer, then when Nadal came in they made it a Big 2 and the focus remained only for Fedal finals and untill Djoko errupted in scene he got no credit what so ever and then it was all about Fedalovic, then it became Big 4 for all, during all these years a little fella was so consistent at no.5 and reached no.4 quite a few times and beat these guys [barring Federer] quite a couple of times yet no care for him, and they end up sprouting nonsense saying the real final was the previous round. picard

I do agree with you ic... he has been the most underrated player, imo, for far too long. He has always been the bridesmaid and never the bride. I have ENORMOUS respect for Ferrer and he is a role model to all the up and coming players.. work ethic is totally amazing.. making every use of the talent he has. He has a wonderful DC record and he is a credit to himself, Spain and the sport as a whole. The whole Spanish Armada hold David in great esteem. My very good wishes go with him tomorrow.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 17:55

Ferrer really has his work cut out for him. Though he is playing a Nadal who just came through an absolute war.

The most important thing for David is to get comfortable. Look at Tsonga. Not in any time of the match did he appear comfortable with the occasion. If he can do that and settle his nerves, he could push Nadal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 18:02

I believe that technically Daveed could beat Rafa but my reservation is, if push comes to shove, could he last five sets with Rafa. Rafa is very fond of Daveed but he isn´t fond enough to let him HAVE it Daveed will have to take it.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 18:03

I have full respect for Ferrer, it's simply that his style of play is not to my taste. And yes, he works very hard, but I'm sure there are some unsung journeymen that work just as hard but don't have his talent. As such, they get even less credit for their efforts than he does.

IMO if more people played like him then less people would watch tennis, whereas as if more people played like anyone else in the top 10 that would not be the case.

I don't dislike him, but I have no great interest in watching him play. I'd rather Rafa won, but fair play to him if he somehow upsets the odds.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 18:04

Haddie-nuff wrote:I believe that technically Daveed could beat Rafa but my reservation is, if push comes to shove, could he last five sets with Rafa. Rafa is very fond of Daveed but he isn´t fond enough to let him HAVE it Daveed will have to take it.

I always believed if there is one guy who can last with Rafa for a long marathon its none other than David Ferrer. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 18:12

Yes he will last the pace ic.. but will his tennis. Remember he is 31.. Im not saying it isnt possible.. but that is my only sticking point.. his tennis can go off the boil if it turns out to be a long long match. Anyway Fingers Crossed Daveed

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 18:18

Ferrer is just too limited to beat Nadal. Nadal isn't going to go on an error-fest like Tsonga. He can blow Ferrer away, but unlike Tsonga, he can also grind Ferrer down. I really like David, and he is a credit to the sport, (plus he rebuked that height nonsense Socal kept bigging up), but unless Nadal is injured/ develops an allergic reaction to Clay, Its Nadal in four at the most, straights most likely.

Last edited by kingraf on Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 18:30; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 18:23

kingraf wrote:Ferrer is just too limited to beat Nadal. Nadal isn't going to go on an era-fest like Tsonga. He can blow Ferrer away, but unlike Tsonga, he can also grind Ferrer down. I really like David, and he is a credit to the sport, (plus he rebuked that height nonsense Socal kept bigging up), but unless Nadal is injured/ develops an allergic reaction to Clay, Its Nadal in four at the most, straights most likely.

Very Happy

Can't see any kind of prayer for Ferrer, but reaching the final is its own reward, and hats off for that. Let's hope it's a somewhat competitive match?

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 18:34

Well in the final analysis that is what I hope for Daveed... go for it Daveed you have come this far clap

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 18:39

Ferrer's seasons are (Win/Loss)...

2002 - 10-6
2003 - 20-27
2004 - 29-31
2005 - 43-29
2006 - 41-26
2007 - 61-23
2008 - 44-23
2009 - 45-23
2010 - 60-24
2011 - 59-19
2012 - 76-15
2013 - 31-9 (so far...)

He is very adept on HC, Grass, Clay. One noticeable fact, is that as he has gotten older, he is losing less and less. He made Tsonga look like a club player (very much as Nadal did to Wawrinka).

He lets his racquet do the talking, unlike the pre-match Djokovic stuff (Sorry Djokovic fans - HMM, SoCal, ... - this is not belittling Djok in any way - and I expect no such belittling of Daveed, in return).

The little guy gets slated for his playing style, but there are many individual styles, but his is very effective, despite the obvious disadvantages. His heart makes up for the lack of other attributes. He is in a Slam Final and will put every effort to win the match, no matter if its is the GCOAT on the other side, or the Farmer.

@KR... He has more than a prayer, he has a racquet. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 18:42

Silver wrote:
kingraf wrote:Ferrer is just too limited to beat Nadal. Nadal isn't going to go on an era-fest like Tsonga. He can blow Ferrer away, but unlike Tsonga, he can also grind Ferrer down. I really like David, and he is a credit to the sport, (plus he rebuked that height nonsense Socal kept bigging up), but unless Nadal is injured/ develops an allergic reaction to Clay, Its Nadal in four at the most, straights most likely.

Very Happy

Can't see any kind of prayer for Ferrer, but reaching the final is its own reward, and hats off for that. Let's hope it's a somewhat competitive match?

Just ask a certain Mr. Roger Federer. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 18:49

laverfan wrote:
Silver wrote:

Very Happy

Just ask a certain Mr. Roger Federer. Wink

In my defence I also said he can win if he has - some holy water, a silver knife, Some stake, garlic,
and Sunlight.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 18:52

Ferrer is a top player. He is very economical in the way he plays. It takes him longer with his shots to open up the court, and on a clay court against Nadal who just creates the most ridiculous angles on the court totally overwhelms his opponents.

I am hoping Ferrer might try something different. He has looked good at the net this tournament when finishing off rallies. That might be an area he has to exploit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 18:55

Great posts LF. He definitely deserves respect, even if the playing style is not so pleasing on the eye at times. And as you say, he'll probably better Federer's 4 games in 2008!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 19:02

Its all going to be about legs.

We all know how far Ferrer can go in a 3 setter........................3 sets before cramp sets in (V Murray in Miami), Nadal can go 5 long sets.

So unless Ferrer can win the 1st two sets quickly, 6-3, 6-3, he ain't got a chance.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 19:03

Nice to read Rafa´s take on tomorrows match.. much respect for his compatriot

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/06/23/Roland-Garros-Saturday2-Nadal-Preview.aspx

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 19:12

Haddie-nuff wrote:Nice to read Rafa´s take on tomorrows match.. much respect for his compatriot

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/06/23/Roland-Garros-Saturday2-Nadal-Preview.aspx

Rafa doesn't feel like the favourite? He's not the underdiog, surely? Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 19:29

I dont think he think he is either JM .. its a final and to him he is playing another opponent he wont even think of who he is playing he takes nothing for granted Daveed is a face across the net.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 20:47

kingraf wrote:In my defence I also said he can win if he has - some holy water, a silver knife, Some stake, garlic, and Sunlight.

Is that what Djokovic missed on his way to the party? Laugh Or that special something from Transylvania. Wink

Seriously, Daveed has beaten Nadal at a slam, 2007 US and 2011 AO. I know there will be some excuse-making from Nadal fans, but the same thing can be said about Del Potro @US. I do not like the idea of injury granting Ferrer a possible victory, but such a probability is greater than shunya.

I would love to see law of averages applied. Nadal is the toughest on Clay, but Daveed is a David and can handle Goliaths. Can he win? Our armchair speculations may come to nought, as the time-space fabric reveals the reality starting in about 17 hours.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 20:55

JubbaIsle wrote:Its all going to be about legs.
JHM started a separate thread just for that.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 21:03

I'm actually getting really nervous for tomorrow.
I think Nadal may be a bit tired, and Ferrer actually took him really close in Madrid and Rome, so I actually see Ferrer as marginal favourite to win.

To add to my worries, Nadal has also said he doesn't feel like is favourite:

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 21:05

The main +ve for Ferrer is Nadal had to push himself really hard yesterday, his first 5 set match for a year. We don't know how well Rafa can recover, if David can push the sets close can nick one Nadal may, I say may, start to tire towards the end of a 4th or 5th. Ferrer is in better form this RG than last year, so he might be able to push Rafa for 2-3 sets.

However...Ferrer has arguably not faced any tough (in form) opponents this year. It's been relative cakewalk territory. Robredo was on one leg, Lopez on clay is fish to bicycle, same with Anderson. Tsonga decided to not show up. When he faces Nadal tomorrow the step up in quality is going to be seismic. I respect Ferrer's dogged spirit but Rafa will have him left and right for set after set, and that 5'9 frame is going to have to run very fast. After 2 brutal sets his legs will start to wilt no matter that he cycles 90 miles a day in off season. This is not the Nadal of Madrid anymore and the weather will be warm and dry tomorrow (22c). I don't think he'll be nervous because he's got to the final but Nadal will be all over him with aggression, dictating with his FH.

Last edited by lydian on Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 21:08; edited 1 time in total
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 8 Jun 2013 - 21:08

We'll see Lydian- I think this is a great chance for Ferrer, but hopefully it turns out ok for Rafa.

Fingers Crossed

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next