The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open 2013 Finals Thread - David vs Goliath ,Rafa to roll for 8th Crown in history?

+25
break_in_the_fifth
Silver
Jahu
michael_o
HM Murdock
laverfan
shivfan
Tropicalfruiter
lags72
kingraf
NickisBHAFC
kemet
The Special Juan
summerblues
bogbrush
Haddie-nuff
JuliusHMarx
CaledonianCraig
Henman Bill
lydian
yloponom68
socal1976
Gerry SA
User 774433
invisiblecoolers
29 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

French Open 2013 Finals Thread - David vs Goliath ,Rafa to roll for 8th Crown in history? - Page 6 Empty French Open 2013 Finals Thread - David vs Goliath ,Rafa to roll for 8th Crown in history?

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 09 Jun 2013, 1:46 am

First topic message reminder :

Massive favorite vs major underdog could be the theme of the finals, can David beat the Goliath for a career rewarding title?

I guess I owe a good thread in this FO series and here I go, the match starts roughly at 3.00 PM, nice start time for Canadian fans, as it will be 9 AM in the morning.

Let Analyze do David have it in him to win Rafa aka slay Goliath? the straight forward answer would be no, some of them has gone so far saying I won't mind betting my house on Rafa win even if David is 2 sets up, such is the impact of Rafa. What I find strange is punters fear, they are giving only 4 odds on David to win the first set, are they seeing the match to be closer than what a general tennis fan would see? Indeed Djoko got 2.9 odds on him, so chance of upset tomorrow is only marginal compared to Rafa's semifinal opponent? chin

Rafa to win 3-0 gets 1.72 odds and 3-1 gets 3.50.

Whoever gonna win it was an eventual tiresome tournament with so many upsets, with Robredo being the chief culprit, it was a fun enjoyable tournament and I hope we get a fitting finale with the biggest upset. Fingers Crossed

Let the game Begin.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

French Open 2013 Finals Thread - David vs Goliath ,Rafa to roll for 8th Crown in history? - Page 6 Empty Re: French Open 2013 Finals Thread - David vs Goliath ,Rafa to roll for 8th Crown in history?

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:40 pm

Red wrote:Don't worry, I already have that sorted.

#rafitoisking

I prefer #doritoisking

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

French Open 2013 Finals Thread - David vs Goliath ,Rafa to roll for 8th Crown in history? - Page 6 Empty Re: French Open 2013 Finals Thread - David vs Goliath ,Rafa to roll for 8th Crown in history?

Post by kingraf Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:41 pm

I really liked IMBL, always made me think of the song...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmezIIrFQmY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvmezIIrFQmY
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:42 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

#rafitoisking

I prefer #doritoisking
That's not going to annoy Nadal hatahs is it warning

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:43 pm

Sounds good but ....er ..... you've already given it away ....the idea is to keep us guessing for as long as possible (although that's usually not very long, it must be said ...)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:45 pm

lags72 wrote:Sounds good but ....er ..... you've already given it away ....the idea is to keep us guessing for as long as possible (although that's usually not very long, it must be said ...)
Not really, considering you can just go on TWS (Tennis Weekly Series) at the top of the tennis page, and just see who the authors are. Wink

Next time I'll take a vote.
Maybe back to Amritia3ee, or Fearless.

I like the sound of Fearless actually.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:47 pm

Red wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

#rafitoisking

I prefer #doritoisking
That's not going to annoy Nadal hatahs is it warning

No, but it'll annoy Kettle Chip fanboys

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:48 pm

Red wrote:
lags72 wrote:Sounds good but ....er ..... you've already given it away ....the idea is to keep us guessing for as long as possible (although that's usually not very long, it must be said ...)
Not really, considering you can just go on TWS (Tennis Weekly Series) at the top of the tennis page, and just see who the authors are. Wink

so you weren't really afraid Daveed was going to win?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:50 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Red wrote:

I was only slightly worried if Nadal was tired- but I knew if Nadal was at his best he would have no problem.

Fearless and Red are both albums by the same person btw.
P.S. Don't you dare anger Kettle Chip fanboys steam

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:53 pm

Never let it be forgotten that Red had Rafa down as seventh favourite to win RG before the tourney began. Subsequently amended to ..... er ..... "sixth favourite" (presumably after Andy withdrew)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:55 pm

Well Almagro was in great form so don't blame me.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:55 pm

lags72 wrote:Never let it be forgotten that Red had Rafa down as seventh favourite to win RG before the tourney began. Subsequently amended to ..... er ..... "sixth favourite" (presumably after Andy withdrew)

I'd forgotten that. Given that we know Red never wums, that's a truly awful prediction.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:56 pm

kingraf wrote:I thought the 2008 chasing pack only took 41 games?

Games at 2008 FO v Nadal.
R1 - Bellucci - 9 (5,3,1).
R2 - Devilder - 5 (4,0,1).
R3 - Nieminen - 5 (1,3,1).
R4 - Verdasco - 3 (1,0,2).
QF - Almagro - 3 (1,1,1).
SF - Djokovic - 12 (4,2,6).
F - Federer - 4 (1,3,0).

41 Games.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:57 pm

That was a joke of course, I didn't actually think he was seventh favourite Wink

Of course firstly I was worried whether he would be fit for FO, secondly I thought he was genuinely second favourite behind Djokovic if he was fit.

At the end the SF was a close run thing- in the 606v2 poll I think many people did vote for Djokovic against Nadal before that as well.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:57 pm

Lol, I can't quite put my finger on it but get the impression JHM isn't too happy with Nadal slam #12 today.

Hey I like kettle chips, except when I bite one sideways and a piece goes right up into my gum and I scream for my mother! Sometimes you feel you could cut through sheet metal with a kettle chip.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:58 pm

Red wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Red wrote:

I was only slightly worried if Nadal was tired- but I knew if Nadal was at his best he would have no problem.

I gave up after the disappointment of Speak Now

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:59 pm

Indeed Red

Your predictions of scorelines & results started off poorly early in the season, but since then you've gradually managed to lower your standard even further ......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:59 pm

lydian wrote:Lol, I can't quite put my finger on it but get the impression JHM isn't too happy with Nadal slam #12 today.

Hey I like kettle chips, except when I bite one sideways and a piece goes right up into my gum and I scream for my mother! Sometimes you feel you could cut through sheet metal with a kettle chip.

No, I'm fairly indifferent to Rafa winning, but very glad Ferrer didn't win.
TBH I prefer Kettle Chips to Doritos.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:00 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Red wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Red wrote:

I gave up after the disappointment of Speak Now
Oh cmon, Mine was an absolute masterclass from that one.
The bit when they sat on the boat and he made her look the other way was genuinely heart-warming (watch the video if you haven't).

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:00 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:The scoreline was so one sided!? Also just read that there was an on court intruder. That must have been the most interesting part of the match

Someone tried to light Ferrer's Flare. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:01 pm

Red wrote:That was a joke of course, I didn't actually think he was seventh favourite Wink

Was it WUMming, by SB's yardstick, though? chin

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:04 pm

laverfan wrote:
Red wrote:That was a joke of course, I didn't actually think he was seventh favourite Wink

Was it WUMming, by SB's yardstick, though? chin
Not really, I don't think anyone got really wound up by it. (wum standing for wind-up-merchant that is)

The only people who could get really angry were hardcore Nadal fans who could think I was disrespecting their hero, but considering I'm the one who gets angry at that stuff, and I won't get angry at myself, the chances of that are actually quite low.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

French Open 2013 Finals Thread - David vs Goliath ,Rafa to roll for 8th Crown in history? - Page 6 Empty David Ferrer is clear favourite for the Wimbledon Title

Post by User 774433 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:05 pm

lags72 wrote:Indeed Red

Your predictions of scorelines & results started off poorly early in the season, but since then you've gradually managed to lower your standard even further ......
Don't worry Lags, when it comes to Wimbledon all my predictions will be trustworthy and reliable.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:13 pm

I hope so. Guess there's a first time for everything. Like with Rafa's 8th RG - which you very pointedly failed to even vaguely predict ahead of the tourney itself.

Bit worried about you being suspected of wummery. Never a good thing - unless it happens to be exceptionally high quality and original wummery, in which case I respectfully suggest you will need to raise your game somewhat .... Shocked

Last edited by lags72 on Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:13 pm

Anyway as we're a bit off topic, here's something I'd like to share with you guys.

It's about a bad experience I had on the X Factor a few years ago- infact it was so bad I only just recently got over it.
Here's the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqVOIWgtu50

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:16 pm

OMG - you're Simon Cowell!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:16 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:OMG - you're Simon Cowell!
Laugh

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:10 pm

socal1976 wrote:I have no doubt that Nadal would have more slams than Federer already if not for his serious and chronic leg problems.

Excuses and makeup are you key forte, if a player A can't do it coz he had some injuries, he had some XXX problems etc,.., but if player B whom you don't like achieve something big then the answer is oh yea weak era and rubbish, you will never change. picard

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:12 pm

socal1976 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
socal1976 wrote:I have no doubt that Nadal would have more slams than Federer already if not for his serious and chronic leg problems. I don't see Federer being number one or winning wimbeldon with Nadal in the field. I mean Nadal has always had the beating of Federer and in the early days these two were the main two guys who were contesting every major prize. I personally don't think Nadal will top Federer. I think Djokovic will make sure of that and Murray to a lesser extent. Not to mention we don't know when that last injury will happen that he just can't comeback and dominate after will happen. Although it is quite clear that this last injury wasn't that hampering of his level of play.

Perhaps if not for Rafa's serious and chronic leg problems he and Fed would both be on 17 and Djoko would be on 1. Or has only Fed benefitted from Rafa's serious and chronic leg problems in the last 4 years?

Mainly Fed, since Djokovic in 2011 overtook Nadal. Maybe Novak would lose a little Roger a whole lot more, especially in light of how much more lopsided the Rafa v. Fed rivalry is compared to the rivalry with Djokovic.

If Djoko would have played in Fed's prime year 1 slam is the maximum he would have achieved. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:17 pm

Red wrote:Julius- you didn't say the same to Eman when he was talking about the French Open.
Be fair warning

Michael- you should watch re-run of Queen's 2008, really enjoyable matches.

If not for my injuries and lack of interest I would have won 20 FO's by now, I can excuse myself for the first 5-6 years of life I was too young to think tennis, so the reality figure might have been 20.

To Socal, Rafa never beaten me in a game of Tennis and never can beat me warning Sorry Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:19 pm

lags72 wrote:Never let it be forgotten that Red had Rafa down as seventh favourite to win RG before the tourney began. Subsequently amended to ..... er ..... "sixth favourite" (presumably after Andy withdrew)

Red's "sense of humor itself itself is a sense of humor" . furious

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 10 Jun 2013, 8:18 am

Red wrote:Fearless and Red are both albums by the same person btw.
JuliusHMarx wrote:I gave up after the disappointment of Speak Now
Can we start a Taylor Swift thread?

Despite only knowing a couple of her songs, it's a subject on which I have many thoughts and discuss with great enthusiasm.

Or perhaps this is best added to the Sharapova's Legs thread?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 10 Jun 2013, 8:51 am

You know a couple of Taylor Swift songs? Shocked
Oh hang on...who is Taylor Swift?

Agree, needs to go into Room 101 (Shazza Legs thread) Laugh
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:05 am

Taylor heart

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6