The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is definitely not going to be in 1st test team?

+25
fa0019
RubyGuby
funnyExiledScot
Mad for Chelsea
George Carlin
Cyril
dragonbreath
The Great Aukster
sirtidychris
thomh
EnglishReign
maestegmafia
Ozzy3213
welshboii15
formerly known as Sam
Bonesaw's ready
majesticimperialman
Notch
theslosty
Artful_Dodger
pete (buachaill on eirne)
jelly
lostinwales
red_stag
logie28
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who is definitely not going to be in 1st test team?  Empty Who is definitely not going to be in 1st test team?

Post by logie28 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 4:49 pm

One of the things that stands out after the first few games is that selection for the 1st test squad is still wide open. Unlike previous tours the vast majority of the squad can still believe they have a genuine chance of getting a test spot.

Id say only Best (came in as 3rd choice and has unfortunately not shone) Ian Evans (solid, but 2d row massively competitive and others look ahead of him) and Zebo are the only certs not to be involved at this stage.

Like I say, I think this is a good sign, but are there others I'm missing?

logie28

Back to top Go down

Who is definitely not going to be in 1st test team?  Empty Re: Who is definitely not going to be in 1st test team?

Post by red_stag Tue 11 Jun 2013, 4:50 pm

I'd say add Ryan Grant and Matt Stevens.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Who is definitely not going to be in 1st test team?  Empty Re: Who is definitely not going to be in 1st test team?

Post by lostinwales Tue 11 Jun 2013, 4:52 pm

Stevens. Kearney almost certainly (sadly) Davies in the centers hasnt had much chance at all but also seems unlikely. Murray. Probably Grant

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Tue 11 Jun 2013, 4:53 pm

Can't see Murray being involved as it stands. He is behind Phillips as a physical 9 and Youngs offers a totally different option. Think those other 2 will share Test duties.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 11 Jun 2013, 4:58 pm

I would say

Grant-Best-Stevens
Evans
Murray-Farrell
Kearney

are the lads who definitely will not start

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:04 pm

I think Farrell has still a chance of starting.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:06 pm

red_stag wrote:I think Farrell has still a chance of starting.

Yeh if Sexton gets hit by a bus or something.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:11 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:

Sexton would still start, I reckon. Wink
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:14 pm

I think if anyone outs their hand up at hooker they are pretty much in the test team. None of them are. None of them are ruled out therefore.

I think Hibbard will start, yes, but he's not beyond being ousted.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:16 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:

Is Sexton back too full fitness yet.

But after to days game those who will not make the test. Matt Stevens. Rory Best. those 2 will be lucky to get test time. in my opinion.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonesaw's ready Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:17 pm

Kearney, Zebo, Farrell, Ian Evans

How you select that back row is beyond me, so much competition

Bonesaw's ready

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:25 pm

This is a silly thread- John Hayes was a test lion in 2009 and he wasn't even with the touring party at this stage on that tour.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:25 pm

Notch wrote:I think if anyone outs their hand up at hooker they are pretty much in the test team. None of them are. None of them are ruled out therefore.

I think Hibbard will start, yes, but he's not beyond being ousted.

It has been a massive fall from grace for Rory Best.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:30 pm

Rory Best just lookes tired. Not seen his performance today but heard both him and Hibbard struggled at the darts. Slightly ironic that the one hooker who went on tour with a reputation for being a touch iffy at the lineout at times is the one looking the most comfortable throwing in. Especially on the back of his worst lineout performance of the season in the AP final (though he was a monster everywhere else).

Don't rule out Farrell, he's previously overtaken more rounded 10s at club and country with his dad on the coaching team.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:38 pm

We took the wrong Saracens 10!

I find it hard to draw conclusions about certain players especially in the tight five because the games have been so, so easy. How are you going to win turnovers, disrupt rucks, run up a big tackle count when the opposition doesn't have the ball?

I hope that the Brumbies and Waratahs actually clarify the pecking order because your forwards are never going to hit top gear when second gear wins 70% of the ball.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:54 pm

I think Murray as offered more than youngs so far but thats my opinion but hes similar to Phillips.

But stevens, Grant, maybe manu or davies im torn, zebo, t.youngs.

What could be done in my eyes is Hogg could push for the 10 shirt because I was really impressed by him and personally I don't think iver sexton or farrell have been wprthy of the 10 top

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:08 pm

welshboii15 wrote:
What could be done in my eyes is Hogg could push for the 10 shirt because I was really impressed by him and personally I don't think iver sexton or farrell have been wprthy of the 10 top

Laugh
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:10 pm

Farrell or sexton have played in the form that got them on the tour, yea sexton hasn't been bad but he
Hasn't been good hes been average

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:21 pm

Notch wrote:We took the wrong Saracens 10!

I think I have said the same before. Very happy to see Hogg play well today.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:33 pm

Farrell did well against, by far, the toughest opposition yet.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:35 pm

EnglishReign wrote:Farrell did well against, by far, the toughest opposition yet.

He's growing as the games go on which is massive

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:47 pm

welshboii15 wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:Farrell did well against, by far, the toughest opposition yet.

Exactly, I think a lot of the criticism is unfair. You can see flashes of an attacking game, we just want to see more of it...and the goal kicking is superb.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:49 pm

welshboii15 wrote:I think Murray as offered more than youngs so far but thats my opinion but hes similar to Phillips.

But stevens, Grant, maybe manu or davies im torn, zebo, t.youngs.

I think that's harsh on the Youngs brothers. Tom has had the most secure lineout of all the hookers so far, and Ben played very well against our hardest opposition.

Really don't think there's any chance of Hogg playing 10 in the tests except in a real emergency. He's there as a full back who can make the odd appearance at 10 to take the pressure off Sexton and Farrell, rather than a realistic test option.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:53 pm

EnglishReign wrote:
welshboii15 wrote:

Exactly, I think a lot of the criticism is unfair. You can see flashes of an attacking game, we just want to see more of it...and the goal kicking is superb.

I think giving him a chance out side mike Phillips and in side Roberts and BOD he could shine plus with halfpenny kicking if he is starting then thats another pressure off his shoulders will also help him

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:57 pm

I just don't think ben has shown his spark which he has and im just not sure about tom he has been throwing well but when hes bad he couldn't hit a barn door where hibbard and best will hit 8/10 line outs most games

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 11 Jun 2013, 7:02 pm

welshboii15 wrote:I just don't think ben has shown his spark which he has and im just not sure about tom he has been throwing well but when hes bad he couldn't hit a barn door where hibbard and best will hit 8/10 line outs most games

Best has missed 5 lineouts in 80 minutes so far and didn't have a good six nations either.

Also, remember that this is a thread about who WILL be selected, not who should be. Best wasn't selected in the original squad so would have needed a big performance when he started to get past the other two. Didn't really get one.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 7:05 pm

No this thread is about who won't be in test team

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 11 Jun 2013, 7:07 pm

welshboii15 wrote:No this thread is about who won't be in test team

That's the same question really, and I was giving a reason why, whatever your personal view on Best/Youngs, Youngs is clearly preferred by the coaches.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 7:10 pm

thomh wrote:
welshboii15 wrote:No this thread is about who won't be in test team

That's the same question really, and I was giving a reason why, whatever your personal view on Best/Youngs, Youngs is clearly preferred by the coaches.

Yea I know what your saying and they clearly know more than I do its just my opinion

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 11 Jun 2013, 7:57 pm

I just don't think ben has shown his spark which he has

Boii, Ben had one game against the toughest opposition with Farrell at 10 for a good portion of it. He provided more creative spark that the other two 9s, mugged off an opposition backrow for a try and passed and kicked well. He didn't get the arm chair ride Phillips has had. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't start, particularly with his record against Australia.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 8:06 pm

Lets be fair the pack made that try by disrupting thw scrum and he just had reaction to dive on the ball. Having farrell out side him would be better because he knows his game, he hasn't been at his best and yes mike had an easy game but lets be fair Murray and youngs are there because their the best back ups to mike

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by logie28 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 8:46 pm

Think the arguments indicate the competitive nature of this squad., So where have we got to? Seems consensus is Stevens can be added to the 'definitely out' brigade. Fair to add Kearney and Grant to the list, so...

Grant, Best, Stevens, Evans, Kearney and Zebo the 6 who have absolutely no realistic chance of being involved?

logie28

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:16 pm

I predict that some of the players being written off will be test lions- I bet all three hookers will win test caps for instance, if they make it uninjured to the tests, the rates of attrition being massive.

Trying to predict what happens on a Lions tour isn't easy. We'll probably see another injury exit or two before the tests and that could propel any of the guys into the 23.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:45 pm

Notch wrote:I predict that some of the players being written off will be test lions- I bet all three hookers will win test caps for instance, if they make it uninjured to the tests, the rates of attrition being massive.

Trying to predict what happens on a Lions tour isn't easy. We'll probably see another injury exit or two before the tests and that could propel any of the guys into the 23.

I agree

There is little to call between so many players in the squad. Even if you look at the players who are nailed on certainties their back up is pushing hard for inclusion and we are lucky to have this situation.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Tue 11 Jun 2013, 10:37 pm

But the question isn't about the test series, it is about the first test (and I think most have done it assuming no more injuries)

Was just watching the second test from 97 and you see people like Bentley, Healey and Miller who were all a long way from the test team 10 days before the first test. There will no doubt be another couple of injuries before the 1st test and probably 5 or 6 by the time of the last test. All the players there (yes maestegmafia, even Farrell) deserve to be there and will hopefully do themselves and the Lions proud if and when they get their chance.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Tue 11 Jun 2013, 11:24 pm

Sheridan/James
Hartley/Ford/Owens
Ross/Murray
Hamilton/Launchberry
Hines/Lawes/Ryan
Brown/Wood/Jones
Robshaw/Rennie/Armitage
Morgan/Beattie/Easter
Care/Laidlaw
Wilkinson/Hook/Madigan/Biggar
Visser/Gilroy
Barrit/Twelvetrees/Darcy
Scott/Earls/Williams
Ashton/Wade
Foden/Brown/Goode

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by logie28 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 11:41 pm

i reckon that squad could make a good fist of taking on the aussies sir!

logie28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 12 Jun 2013, 12:09 am

Gatland should have sent Bowe and Kearney home. Hogg, Halfpenny and Maitland have done well enough and now Zebo is another option. Kearney having no training time can't be selected now, and keeping Bowe is just undermining those who are there as it shows Gatland isn't backing them in the faint hope that Bowe does miraculously become fit enough.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Wed 12 Jun 2013, 12:19 am

If his dad shoots Gatland in the back of the head and buries him in the outback

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Wed 12 Jun 2013, 12:21 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
I just don't think ben has shown his spark which he has

Boii, Ben had one game against the toughest opposition with Farrell at 10 for a good portion of it. He provided more creative spark that the other two 9s, mugged off an opposition backrow for a try and passed and kicked well. He didn't get the arm chair ride Phillips has had. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't start, particularly with his record against Australia.

Prepare to be disappointed

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 12 Jun 2013, 8:35 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Ben had one game against the toughest opposition with Farrell at 10 for a good portion of it. He provided more creative spark that the other two 9s, mugged off an opposition backrow for a try and passed and kicked well. He didn't get the arm chair ride Phillips has had. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't start, particularly with his record against Australia.
+1

The Lions have had one properly testing game so far and both Youngs and Farrell played well.

Youngs could edge Phillips. Farrell will be back up to Sexton.

I've read quite a few write-ups of the Reds game and almost all gave marks of 7/10 to both Farrell and Youngs. Amazing how some learned posters on here thought they played badly.

A 7/10 against the Reds is worth rather more than an 8 or 9 against some makeshift group of possum farmers and wallaby tamers.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Jun 2013, 9:05 am

I agree it's wide open. The Brumbies game is going to be very tough as they've rotated their squad well this season and have quite a battle hardened crew. I still think that we've at least one major injury blow to come, by the law of averages because the S15 franchise players will definitely have a crack.

What will help us a little is that the international window is now open and a lot of S15 franchise players have been called up on international duty, as Scotland found out to its cost last weekend.

Am not generally a fan of negative threads but I would say that Stevens, Murray, Zebo and possibly also Best are not currently the fashionable options.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 12 Jun 2013, 9:20 am

Stevens is well behind Cole and Jones, so would probably be ruled out on that basis.

Grant will probably get a chance in one of the remaining two games to push himself up there, but you'd think he's struggling at the moment.

Best hasn't had a good tour so far, and considering he was only picked as a replacement is surely unlikely to make the squad (first test) at this point.

Evans has been comfortably the worst (or least good if you prefer) of the second row players. Solid player but won't make the first test squad ahead of the other four.

Backrow: so many options, impossible to say right now. Think Croft may be slightly down in the pecking order?

Half-backs: think Murray is well behind Philips and Youngs. Sexton will start (if fit) with Farrell on the bench.

Wings: Zebo should get a chance to prove himself, but at the moment must be behind the other three.

Full-back: Halfpenny seems nailed on, Hogg may well make the bench (hopefully not covering 10 though), can't see Kearney in the mix at this stage.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Jun 2013, 9:28 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Stevens is well behind Cole and Jones, so would probably be ruled out on that basis.

Grant will probably get a chance in one of the remaining two games to push himself up there, but you'd think he's struggling at the moment.

Best hasn't had a good tour so far, and considering he was only picked as a replacement is surely unlikely to make the squad (first test) at this point.

Evans has been comfortably the worst (or least good if you prefer) of the second row players. Solid player but won't make the first test squad ahead of the other four.

Backrow: so many options, impossible to say right now. Think Croft may be slightly down in the pecking order?

Half-backs: think Murray is well behind Philips and Youngs. Sexton will start (if fit) with Farrell on the bench.

Wings: Zebo should get a chance to prove himself, but at the moment must be behind the other three.

Full-back: Halfpenny seems nailed on, Hogg may well make the bench (hopefully not covering 10 though), can't see Kearney in the mix at this stage.

Why?

He certainly showed he could play there yesterday.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 12 Jun 2013, 9:34 am

I think it's unlikely that Grant and Zebo will make the 1st Test - neither having played a game yet with a week to go. I think it's too late for them both. Same with Kearney.

Stevens shouldn't be anywhere near the 23, and I very much doubt Rory Best will make it. I think Hibbard will start with Youngs coming on for impact.

I also don't think Parling will make the Test side, but that's more perception than justified based on his performances.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 12 Jun 2013, 9:42 am

People writing Evans off clearly don't know the player - He was one, if not the stand out 2nd row player in the 6 nations and is probably the most abrasive 2nd row we have. I find it a little hysterical that he is being judged on 2 performances in which his team has put 50 or 60 points on the opposition. Cometh the hour it will be those hard men who will stand up and be counted in the Tests as opposed to the cameo boys running things in for fun etc. Gatland, thankfully knows what this fella brings and he won't be discarding him as easily as some have on here. If the going gets tough it's people like Evans I would want in the boiler room alongside POC - as it stands I would take POC & Grey but it remains to be seen as we need to judge players when the heat comes on to see what they are really capable of. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 12 Jun 2013, 9:53 am

how else do you expect him to be judged Ruby?

Do coaches pick players solely on performances 4/5 months ago? Was he playing well... sure. But playing well when you have no competition is different when you do. He was playing week in week out, their was no change of personnel and players weren't under pressure to perform personally right at that minute unlike Lions tours.

Is he a good player, absolutely... is he on form.... not as much as others. The best players tend to stand out from the crowd amongst their peers. This is especially true in lions tours.

Same with AW Jones. Happened in 09, its happening now.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 12 Jun 2013, 9:53 am

Everyone bar Murray, Best, Kearney and Tuilagi have a shot of a starting spot or bench spot imo.

I think the test side is pretty much selected with the only question marks being Loosehead, backrow and right wing.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Jun 2013, 10:10 am

I actually think that the position where posters seem to be most divided is at lock. Wildly differing views as to how well players have played and what their value is. I don't see Parling except at lineouts, for example, but it's clear some people vehemently disagree. Whomever is chosen to partner POC needs to complement him, however and this has to be borne in mind when picking a partner.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Wed 12 Jun 2013, 10:12 am

Tuilagi? I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start on Saturday and then, if he has a good game, he has a good chance of being in the 23 for the first test and possibly starting ahead of Roberts.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next