The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is definitely not going to be in 1st test team?

+25
fa0019
RubyGuby
funnyExiledScot
Mad for Chelsea
George Carlin
Cyril
dragonbreath
The Great Aukster
sirtidychris
thomh
EnglishReign
maestegmafia
Ozzy3213
welshboii15
formerly known as Sam
Bonesaw's ready
majesticimperialman
Notch
theslosty
Artful_Dodger
pete (buachaill on eirne)
jelly
lostinwales
red_stag
logie28
29 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who is definitely not going to be in 1st test team?  - Page 2 Empty Who is definitely not going to be in 1st test team?

Post by logie28 Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

One of the things that stands out after the first few games is that selection for the 1st test squad is still wide open. Unlike previous tours the vast majority of the squad can still believe they have a genuine chance of getting a test spot.

Id say only Best (came in as 3rd choice and has unfortunately not shone) Ian Evans (solid, but 2d row massively competitive and others look ahead of him) and Zebo are the only certs not to be involved at this stage.

Like I say, I think this is a good sign, but are there others I'm missing?

logie28

Back to top Go down

Who is definitely not going to be in 1st test team?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is definitely not going to be in 1st test team?

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:17 am

Agree with Jelly on Tuilagi. The Manu/BOD axis has been the best midfield combo so far.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Who is definitely not going to be in 1st test team?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is definitely not going to be in 1st test team?

Post by rodders Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:00 am

Only way Tulilagi starts is if Roberts gets hit by a bus or eaten by Vianakolo.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:10 am

rodders wrote:Only way Tulilagi starts is if Roberts gets hit by a bus or eaten by Vianakolo.

I'd have Davies and BOD before Roberts or Tuilagi.

Have Tiilagi or Roberts as bench cover/impact player.

Davies and BOD are better footballers and more likely to work out and beat an Ozzie defence.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:18 am

Personally I dont think the following have been good enough:

Lydiate
Best
Cuthbert
Maitland (didnt see last game, heard he was good)
Stevens

borderline:
Warburton
Evans

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:19 am

If Kearney can't start this weekend IMO he has to be sent home and a replacement flown out ASAP.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:22 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:If Kearney can't start this weekend IMO he has to be sent home and a replacement flown out ASAP.

Surely the replacement is going to be in the same boat as Kearney; unlikely to start the 1st Test but available for later games. Kearney would have the benefit of having been with the team up to now.

It was dopey to bring half fit guys like Kearney and Jenkins in the first place but it seems silly to send him home if he is able to contribute to other games.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:24 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:If Kearney can't start this weekend IMO he has to be sent home and a replacement flown out ASAP.

He is going to be a sub I believe. Has the team been announced yet?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:25 am

red_stag wrote:

Surely the replacement is going to be in the same boat as Kearney; unlikely to start the 1st Test but available for later games. Kearney would have the benefit of having been with the team up to now.

It was dopey to bring half fit guys like Kearney and Jenkins in the first place but it seems silly to send him home if he is able to contribute to other games.

Kearney didnt get a scan until he was in HK. The Lions management did not realise the extent of his injury until he was already on route.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:28 am

GunsGerms wrote:
red_stag wrote:

Kearney didnt get a scan until he was in HK. The Lions management did not realise the extent of his injury until he was already on route.

Thats extremely poor preparation if thats the case. If he was to be sent home that was the time. Very easy to say "Rob looks like you'll be a few weeks. You'll be touch and go to feature in most of the games before first test and I want all my players at full match fitness by then."

Now though it's pointless to send him home.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:29 am

It puzzles me how Kearney has avoided the chop wheras Jenkins hasn't.

I said before the tour started that it isn't the enviroment that allows guys to get over niggling injuries.

Jenkins and Kearney have proven it. We are what 4 or 5 games into the tour? and Kearney is still taking up a slot in the touring party having played zero rugby.

Guys like Foden, Brown or Wade should be pretty miffed. Zebo's call might also be too late for him to force himself into test contention.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:31 am

Does anyone know what the deal is with the financial payments players get on tour. I heard they get about 40K eur to tour basic but is that based on being available for the full tour?

Will players who leave early still get the same amount? Will Kearney for instance get the payment even though he may not even play a game for the Lions?

Not saying money is a reason for him or any other player wanting to stay mind.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:32 am

red_stag wrote:
Thats extremely poor preparation if thats the case. If he was to be sent home that was the time. Very easy to say "Rob looks like you'll be a few weeks. You'll be touch and go to feature in most of the games before first test and I want all my players at full match fitness by then."

Now though it's pointless to send him home.

Its not that simple Stag. The scan in HK revealed nothing more that a minor tear. His rehabilitation took longer than expected. I think he just got lucky that the scan didnt reval a lot and unlucky that the rehab dragged on.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:33 am

fa0019 wrote:Does anyone know what the deal is with the financial payments players get on tour. I heard they get about 40K eur to tour basic but is that based on being available for the full tour?

Will players who leave early still get the same amount? Will Kearney for instance get the payment even though he may not even play a game for the Lions?

Its just over £50k basic wage for all tourists. Not sure about the late joiners.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:33 am

Guns I heard they didn't look at the tear properly... that the HK scan didn't reveal the actual issues and only when they got to AUS was it discovered.

Bad show by the medical staff.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 am

GunsGerms wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Does anyone know what the deal is with the financial payments players get on tour. I heard they get about 40K eur to tour basic but is that based on being available for the full tour?

Its just over £50k basic wage for all tourists. Not sure about the late joiners.

Do you think Hartley got anything bar some free kit???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 am

fa0019 wrote:

Probably not.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:41 am

fa0019 wrote:Guns I heard they didn't look at the tear properly... that the HK scan didn't reveal the actual issues and only when they got to AUS was it discovered.

Bad show by the medical staff.

They did look at it in HK, they did do a scan there but according to Kearney it only revealed a minor issue. Not sure what subsequent scans were done in England.

Not sure how culpable the medical staff really are here. Though it should have been scanned after the Rabo final when the injury occured.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:46 am

Whats all this nonsence about scans. Just send him out there and let him run it off.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm pretty much with the consensus -

Unless injuries cause otherwise, these are the players not in serious consideration for the First Test side:

Grant (could come in later after more time with Rowntree's coaching)
Best
Stevens (was never intended to be in the Tests)
Murray
Zebo
Kearney

Be surprised by the involvement of:
Evans
Croft
JD2
Maitland

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:07 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

Probably not.

If you believe the scuttlebut, the shirt's already been sold on E-bay.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2