The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When is quitting acceptable

5 posters

Go down

When is quitting acceptable Empty When is quitting acceptable

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun May 08, 2011 10:59 pm

Bit of a follow up to an article that is already on hear...

When Ortiz fought Maidana he quit in the 6th round. Dress it up how you want, but Ortiz decided he wasnt up for a fight a decided to leave it at that.

Now I'm all for preserving a fighters health, but the fact of the matter is that they are being paid to entertain, which is what boxing is. If they quit (for no good reason) they still get paid whilst the fans may feel short changed. I can think of no good reason why a fighter would quit when they are in no real trouble. Having boxed myself my fighters pride would not let me quit.

When is it right for a fighter to quit?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

When is quitting acceptable Empty Re: When is quitting acceptable

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun May 08, 2011 11:02 pm

When he feels like it. The Ortiz one I give him the benefit of the doubt, he was young and redeemed himself, in my eyes anyway when he picked himself up off the floor to beat Berto.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun May 08, 2011 11:06 pm

So a boxer can just leave the ring when he feels like it. What about the fans that are essentially paying the wages. Would a footballer be allowed to leave the field because the tackles are a bit tough. No, they have to suck it up and get on with it.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun May 08, 2011 11:07 pm

Was Nigel Benn a quitter after the debacle with Collins?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun May 08, 2011 11:12 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:So a boxer can just leave the ring when he feels like it. What about the fans that are essentially paying the wages. Would a footballer be allowed to leave the field because the tackles are a bit tough. No, they have to suck it up and get on with it.

Football's a bit different though; it's not the primary objective to hurt people in football. Good call on sticking this thread up, I'd considered it myself, but I'm lazy. Very Happy

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun May 08, 2011 11:16 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:So a boxer can just leave the ring when he feels like it. What about the fans that are essentially paying the wages. Would a footballer be allowed to leave the field because the tackles are a bit tough. No, they have to suck it up and get on with it.

Football's a bit different though; it's not the primary objective to hurt people in football. Good call on sticking this thread up, I'd considered it myself, but I'm lazy. Very Happy

I agree, they are different, but I feel strongly that a boxer should try his best to entertain fans of the sport. For me quitting is not an option and when I have been in a position of getting battered I have always tried to tough it out.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun May 08, 2011 11:17 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

I agree, they are different, but I feel strongly that a boxer should try his best to entertain fans of the sport. For me quitting is not an option and when I have been in a position of getting battered I have always tried to tough it out.

Heart's important, but so is protecting yourself at all times. If a boxer is smart enough to realise when he can't do that, he should quit.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun May 08, 2011 11:20 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Heart's important, but so is protecting yourself at all times. If a boxer is smart enough to realise when he can't do that, he should quit.

Using Ortiz as an example, do you think he really thought he had nothing nothing left. For me he lost his bottle and decided he wanted to go home, pay cheque in his pocket.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun May 08, 2011 11:23 pm

Personally, no. I don't think he had nothing left. I think he probably didn't fancy his chances and didn't want to burn himself out over one fight. Hard to say, I know, but I don't think he'd have just arbitrarily quit. There are a lot of examples of guys who go through a war and come out spent, win or lose. Marquez-Vasquez, Meldrick Taylor...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun May 08, 2011 11:25 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Using Ortiz as an example, do you think he really thought he had nothing nothing left. For me he lost his bottle and decided he wanted to go home, pay cheque in his pocket.
Not sure it had much to do with his pay cheque tbh. He had been in quite soft up until that point and maybe didn't know how to handle what had happened during the Maidana fight. Would you rather see Ali v Holmes?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun May 08, 2011 11:29 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Not sure it had much to do with his pay cheque tbh. He had been in quite soft up until that point and maybe didn't know how to handle what had happened during the Maidana fight. Would you rather see Ali v Holmes?

I'm not some blood thirsty yob who thinks boxers should give themselves brain damage, but when a fighter quits for no reason it annoys me. He (in the instance of Ortiz) was being paid very handsomely for fighting Maidana and I expect him to try his best for the people paying his wages.

If he quit because he didnt know how to handle Maidana then that is just shameful.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun May 08, 2011 11:34 pm

He was young and like I said had been in soft up until that point. He had never experienced anything like that before. He probably shouldn't have quit but he was a bit inexperienced in that sense.

I'm willing to give Ortiz the benefit of the doubt because I think he redeemed himself against Berto imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun May 08, 2011 11:38 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

When a boxer is fighting, he doesn't think of his pay cheque. He normally things of winning (I say normally as there are professional opponents) first and foremost. When you are not feeling right, not up for it and gassed, dont fight. No sense in pleasing the fans at the espense of your health and livelihood. Most fans are sadists anyway.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun May 08, 2011 11:41 pm

azania wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

When a boxer is fighting, he doesn't think of his pay cheque. He normally things of winning (I say normally as there are professional opponents) first and foremost. When you are not feeling right, not up for it and gassed, dont fight. No sense in pleasing the fans at the espense of your health and livelihood. Most fans are sadists anyway.

He wasnt gassed, he quit like a dog. He will probably be ashamed for his actions and that may have spurred him in the Berto fight. Nothing more humiliating than being labelled a quitter when you are a fighter.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun May 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
azania wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

He wasnt gassed, he quit like a dog. He will probably be ashamed for his actions and that may have spurred him in the Berto fight. Nothing more humiliating than being labelled a quitter when you are a fighter.

No point in debating further. Enjoy.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Tue May 10, 2011 9:42 pm

if your past your prime or feel you are destroying your career by absorbing the punishment and accept its not your night and you fight on in your career.

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed May 11, 2011 12:04 am

KO-KING wrote:if your past your prime or feel you are destroying your career by absorbing the punishment and accept its not your night and you fight on in your career.

What's your point mate?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down