The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At what point would you consider quitting?

+14
barragan
MontysMerkin
dynamark
I'm never wrong
twoeightnine
MustPuttBetter
Roller_Coaster
golfermartin
gaelgowfer
Doc
super_realist
lorus59
GPB
4putt
18 posters

Go down

At what point would you consider quitting? Empty At what point would you consider quitting?

Post by 4putt Thu 31 Oct 2013, 12:45 am

I'm at the point of saying, "enough is enough, I quit" and was wondering what it would take for other players to quit.

Basically, I'm no longer competitive off my current handicap. Is being competitive the be all and end all, after all, it's only a game.
Take yesterday for example, started off with a 10 and ended up with a 97, net 88. I've not played to anything near my handicap this year. I've gone from 5 to 9 in 3 years. The rules of the Society I play with means I don't play often enough for my handicap to be revued.
I reckon I need to play another 50 rounds of rubbish to get back to being somewhere near being competitive. For me that's about 2 years of frustration.
Then there's the finacial aspect to take into account. Why waste that money on doing something you no longer get enjoyment from?
Lastly my age. Now an OAP. Being realisic, it's probably going to be all downhill from now on. Crying or Very sad

4putt

Back to top Go down

At what point would you consider quitting? Empty Re: At what point would you consider quitting?

Post by GPB Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:06 am

I was contemplating quitting golf a few years ago.  I was a member of a country club and I was sick and tired of the Bytching and cliques and the agendas.  Then I had a crippling accident to my right arm.

The accident made my decision to quit, but I was 90% there anyways.  I still play occasionally play some charity scrambles.  I think I could play to a 18 handicap if I still played (I am a former Club champion and still hold a couple course records).

And quitting the game has put retirement that much closer for me.   And I don't really miss it all that much.  I do miss the competition and I sure don't miss those 4 footers on #9 and #18 to halve or win a nassau.

I miss the competition.  I don't miss the other stuff.

GPB

Back to top Go down

At what point would you consider quitting? Empty Re: At what point would you consider quitting?

Post by lorus59 Thu 31 Oct 2013, 4:33 am

I think it is too addictive to quit. Even though I am a lousy player and I ask myself many times (on the course) "why am I doing this?", I keep coming back for more.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 31 Oct 2013, 8:01 am

I was severely losing interest earlier this year, was telling my playing partners that same thing then bang, "hole in one" on next hole.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 31 Oct 2013, 8:19 am

It all depends on your own priorities, and what's important to you. For example I know someone who turns out rain or shine every Saturday because he enjoys the company and the craic. He's a high handicapper and will never be able to compete with the other guys, but he enjoys the company. In the same group there are a couple who are very competative and if they have a bad round will sulk, but whats important to them is winning/moaning and if they were continually sliding backwards would pack it in.

As mentioned on another thread my priorities changed and now I don't give a toss how I play, because I now enjoy being out there, either by myself or in company. I will carry on playing until my body won't allow it, but why pack it in if you enjoy it, and being an OAP it can only help your mind and body

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 31 Oct 2013, 8:21 am

Golf is not a game ... it is a journey.

Mrs Zen

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Thu 31 Oct 2013, 8:52 am

4putt

I think that the society needs to review its rule on handicap reviews. If someone is so uncompetitive that they are not enjoying the game, and considering giving up, it is incumbent upon the "powers that be" to look at that players record and adjust their handicap accordingly. They should want to retain their members.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 31 Oct 2013, 9:16 am

Agree with G Mart, if you are only going to play society golf then surely the society would want to keep you part of the fold and consider reviewing your handicap.

As an aside, how much do they need you to play? The 50 rounds in 2 years you indicate it would take (to get you competitive again) is 25 a year or once every other week. Surely that's regularly enough to base a review on when considering the 4 shots in 3 years you have risen?

Quick fix might be to join a club (assuming you aren't a member of one as you mention society golf) and put 3 cards in. Unless it's all too expensive around you of course.

Alternatively if being competitive isn't the prime motivator, do you enjoy the playing of shots, the walk and the company? If so, try ignore the scoring (v hard though it is) and carry on.

Golf can indeed be a journey. In the space of 4 hours it can take you from grassy plains, to sandy beaches to oases in the sun through dark dank forests along pathways trodden by only the very few (if you hit it as wide as I can). Still it all ends the same way, eating and drinking with friends new and old ripping the back out of each other for how bad they were that day!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 31 Oct 2013, 9:47 am

If i stopped enjoying golf i would stop playing in a second. I did the same with football, used to love it and played every day almost, got fed up and called it a day.

None of us are playing golf to make money (i assume!), we play it for fun. If it's not fun, why play?!
The question is, is it the not being competitive handicap wise that is meaning you don't enjoy it? If your handicap was upped and you could compete on a net basis would you enjoy that? Or are you just fed up of the game full stop because you can't play as you used to?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 31 Oct 2013, 9:54 am

4putt wrote:I'm at the point of saying, "enough is enough, I quit" and was wondering what it would take for other players to quit.

Basically, I'm no longer competitive off my current handicap. Is being competitive the be all and end all, after all, it's only a game.
Take yesterday for example, started off with a 10 and ended up with a 97, net 88. I've not played to anything near my handicap this year. I've gone from 5 to 9 in 3 years. The rules of the Society I play with means I don't play often enough for my handicap to be revued.
I reckon I need to play another 50 rounds of rubbish to get back to being somewhere near being competitive. For me that's about 2 years of frustration.
Then there's the finacial aspect to take into account. Why waste that money on doing something you no longer get enjoyment from?
Lastly my age. Now an OAP. Being realisic, it's probably going to be all downhill from now on. Crying or Very sad
4 putt ... need some clarification.  is your 5 to 9 h'cap in three years official?

You should count yourself lucky you can still play.  I'm currently living through a second frozen shoulder which feels like the sporting equivalent of being sent to jail.  Nevertheless, it hasn't stopped me from getting out there and trying to find a way to get the ball around the course.  I've even tried (pun alert!) my hand at one-armed golf although I have to admit, that was a spectacular failure.Very Happy Currently working on trying to get it round via extended chip with 7-wood (shoulders only - definitely nae arms!).  Given a lifetime h'cap low of 1, my current situation is pretty humbling but to stop playing is a far, far worse option for me than merely playing badly.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:03 am

I got close a few years ago as I couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo and I decided that I would give it one more go but it would require lessons. I was playing so badly that it lost all enjoyment.

Fortunately the lessons were not too painful and I started playing better than before.

The main thing for me is that golf has always been a lot about the company for me which meant that I was probably more motivated to get myself at least competitive. Also a little different as I was in my late 30s and this makes it easier to think that its not all downhill!

4putt. Surely your society could make a change of your hc. The more difficult part will be then resetting your expectations of what level you are playing at.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:03 am

gaelgowfer wrote:You should count yourself lucky you can still play.  I'm currently living through a second frozen shoulder which feels like the sporting equivalent of being sent to jail.  Nevertheless, it hasn't stopped me from getting out there and trying to find a way to get the ball around the course.  I've even tried (pun alert!) my hand at one-armed golf although I have to admit, that was a spectacular failure.Very Happy Currently working on trying to get it round via extended chip with 7-wood (shoulders only - definitely nae arms!).  Given a lifetime h'cap low of 1, my current situation is pretty humbling but to stop playing is a far, far worse option for me than merely playing badly.
Never thought i'd hear myself saying this, but what a fantastic attitude clap
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 31 Oct 2013, 6:18 pm

Surely if a society can chop a bandit down as soon as it is recognised that they are one, surely a quiet word with the organisers to explain your situation would benefit you? Ask to be paired with one of them so that they can see what you are like now.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 31 Oct 2013, 6:39 pm

I cant see quitting as an option but physical pain brought me close over the last year(feet)
played today in a better ball and only came in on six holes but a birdie and few nice pars make you realise there is some ability and enjoyment .good day out and good company

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Fri 01 Nov 2013, 8:55 am

Many thanks for everyone who took the trouble to comment.

Todays round, (different group, different handicap, 10.). Decided to make a few swing changes. Started off hitting the ball really well, 4 straight pars. On the fifth hole, 1 foot putt for par, missed it. Next hole, 1 foot putt for bogey, missed it. From then on the wheels fell off. Lost 4 balls and ended up with a 89. I even lost a ball on a practice swing. Had the caddies and playing partners diving for cover.Shocked Perhaps I should give up for the safety of others.Smile 
Despite the continuing woes, today was a bit of a reality check. I played with a Swiss friend who's just come back to Thailand after having treatment for lower jaw cancer. He looked a mess and has gone through hell the last 6 months.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 01 Nov 2013, 8:59 am

Who made you putt from a foot?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 01 Nov 2013, 9:06 am

4putt wrote: I even lost a ball on a practice swing.
clap Bin there dude!

4putt wrote:Despite the continuing woes, today was a bit of a reality check. I played with a Swiss friend who's just come back to Thailand after having treatment for lower jaw cancer. He looked a mess and has gone through hell the last 6 months.
Perspective is a wonderful thing. My game has improved immeasurably since losing my mum a couple of years ago. I don't get steamed half as much as I used to and it has resulted in better and more enjoyable golf. Hope you keep playing (or not, up to you) but be at peace, my son angel
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Fri 01 Nov 2013, 9:19 am

super_realist wrote:Who made you putt from a foot?
They don't call me 4 putt for nothing.Very Happy 

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri 01 Nov 2013, 9:32 am

if you have a tendancy to miss these short putts, always make sure you mark your ball and line it up. it is impossible to miss a 1 foot putt if you've lined it up, checked it from behind and set yourself over it correctly. i've missed a couple of silly short putts this year, but they've been due to trying to tidy up quickly and not really setting up properly - sideways stance to avoid someone elses line or something like that.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 01 Nov 2013, 9:36 am

4putt wrote:Many thanks for everyone who took the trouble to comment.

Todays round, (different group, different handicap, 10.). Decided to make a few swing changes. Started off hitting the ball really well, 4 straight pars. On the fifth hole, 1 foot putt for par, missed it. Next hole, 1 foot putt for bogey, missed it. From then on the wheels fell off. Lost 4 balls and ended up with a 89. I even lost a ball on a practice swing. Had the caddies and playing partners diving for cover.Shocked Perhaps I should give up for the safety of others.Smile 
Despite the continuing woes, today was a bit of a reality check. I played with a Swiss friend who's just come back to Thailand after having treatment for lower jaw cancer. He looked a mess and has gone through hell the last 6 months.
Sounds like putting is the root of your issue. Get some help with that? Best wishes to your friend.

I don't think I'd give the game up although I'm getting to a point where, physically, I'm not sure I will improve any more so I'm not sure how I'll manage the issue of "I used to be able to do such-and-such". TBH, I enjoy hitting a flush shot too much so even if they become a lot rarer, it'll still be worth it. I hope!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 01 Nov 2013, 9:47 am

Do you decelerate 4 putt?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:05 am

super_realist wrote:Do you decelerate 4 putt?
Decelerate, jerk, jab, twitch. You name it I do it. Add to that I probably try 3 different ways of holding the club in a round to find a solution.
For the last 5 holes today I putted al-le Michelle Wie, which seemed to work quite well.

About a year ago, our local Pro, leant me a book on putting by Dave Stockton. What he says makes a lot of sense and it did work for a while. However when I started missing short ones again, I lost confidence and started experimenting again. I've also exhange comments with David Howell via his website. Top top bloke is David, very helpfull.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:19 am

Have you tried just looking a the hole? Might help you forget about your stroke.
Also, I have a really exaggerated follow through, puts a lot of topspin on the ball and I keep my head stock still until I hear it drop (or not). Stops me pulling or pushing it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:28 am

super_realist wrote:Have you tried just looking a the hole? Might help you forget about your stroke.
Also, I have a really exaggerated follow through, puts a lot of topspin on the ball and I keep my head stock still until I hear it drop (or not). Stops me pulling or pushing it.
Or swap to putting left handed - friend of mine did this and basically transformed his game as he had to learn to putt all over again but got rid of the bad habits/yips he had in the process. He reckons he could switch back now and be fine, but is too chicken to try.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:30 am

Thanks for the tip Super. I'll give it a go next time I play.

Bob, joking aside, I am left handed, but I know what you mean. Thanks.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:36 am

4putt wrote:Bob, joking aside, I am left handed...
In that case you are the Spawn of Satan Smile 

(A lefty in the group means having to think about where to stand not to be in the back swing area or the eye line when putting).
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:48 am

Do you play left handed 4P? My dads left handed but when he played he used right handed racquets. He was truly awful and I often wondered whether he would be better off trying to learn the game t'other way round. I tried a left handed shot once and nearly broke myself.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:53 am

4putt wrote:...About a year ago, our local Pro, leant me a book on putting by Dave Stockton. What he says makes a lot of sense and it did work for a while. However when I started missing short ones again, I lost confidence and started experimenting again. I've also exhange comments with David Howell via his website. Top top bloke is David, very helpfull.
Why on Earth, if it was working, did you start experimenting again? Headscratch
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:56 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
4putt wrote:...About a year ago, our local Pro, leant me a book on putting by Dave Stockton. What he says makes a lot of sense and it did work for a while. and started experimenting again. I've also exhange comments with David Howell via his website. Top top bloke is David, very helpfull.
However when I started missing short ones again, I lost confidence Headscratch 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 01 Nov 2013, 12:09 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
4putt wrote:...About a year ago, our local Pro, leant me a book on putting by Dave Stockton. What he says makes a lot of sense and it did work for a while. and started experimenting again. I've also exhange comments with David Howell via his website. Top top bloke is David, very helpfull.
However when I started missing short ones again, I lost confidence Headscratch 
Your point being?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 01 Nov 2013, 12:49 pm

Why are parts of the quote missing?

The original post made perfect sense

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Fri 01 Nov 2013, 2:22 pm

4putt wrote: I even lost a ball on a practice swing.
I time I mentioned that I thought of quitting I did that...on a putt. I think that it was my lowest point on a golf course.

I was playing a club match and my only real contribution was to tend the flag. I finally parred a hole...the 13th and the next was a par 3. I duffed the tee shot and was about 40 yards short so chipped on and was in a massive strop. But I still had a putt for par. I lined it up and took a practice stroke which hit the ball and it shot off sideways. I picked up....

On the next tee and managed to send both my efforts at the next tee right and high over the nets that presumably the course imagined were high enough that no one would ever go over them. I had to explain to my partner that I would be walking that hole on my own.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 01 Nov 2013, 2:37 pm

I even lost a ball on a practice swing.
4 putt ... classic. Absolute bleedin' classic! notworthy 

You should have a go at switching around with the putter.  I succumbed to the yips at the age of 50 (oh how I long for those youthful days Wink  ) until, in a sheer act of desperation (I'm right-handed btw) 'borrowed' one of hubby's left-handed putters.  Strewth, did it not work and I haven't had a problem since.  I did make a pact with the devil though to hopefully reduce the chances of them ever returning.  After a hellish year which included an absolute thrashing at the hands of Mary McKenna (anyone remember her) in a Seniors' match at Gleneagles, I resolved never again to play above club level.

Some good advice has already been given but, as a female, it has always seemed to me that the biggest problem most male club golfers have is that they lash at the ball.  It's an old-fashioned concept but if you can swing to 3/4 of what your normal swing speed would be then there's a fighting chance you'll achieve better timing and rhythm.

In so far as giving up the game is concerned, well, I think Mary McKenna says it best ...

Her determination to win was matched by a passion for the game itself.  On reaching her 40th birthday on April 1989, at a time which coincided with 21 consecutive years on the Irish team, she retorted to a journalist who suggested it might be an apt landmark on which to ponder retirement “and why shouldn’t I continue to do what I most enjoy and do reasonably well? Golf is a game you can play as long as you can stand up and that’s fine by me”.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 01 Nov 2013, 2:52 pm

censored Brilliant stuff 4-putt and I know we shouldn't laugh but .... It reminds me of a couple of years ago out in Portugal. We had been looking forward to playing San Lorenzo but I couldn't get the greens at all. If I saw a break right it went left and visa versa. It was so bad that every time I had the short stick in my hand I was scared to death. Every hole seemed to be on top of a saucer so tried to dead weight everything which then moved massivley and exagerated .... On the par 3 14th I hit a great iron into the pin and finished up 9" away. Simple tap in birdie you would think, but I stroked it in my usual scared, timid way only to see the ball miss well left and pick up speed and then run down the green off the green down a shaved slope left of the green and finish up 60-yards away in the hedgeline, where I ended up carding a 9. hate those greens

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 01 Nov 2013, 3:03 pm

Mate had 55 putts somewhere in Portugal on one lap (he's now off 4 and was off 5 at the time!) and also drove a par 4 in Spain last year and came off with a 6. Most amusing.

I used to be quite regularly rubbish at putting and remember being told on the way to our 16th green that I was the worst putter in the club. The accuser then proceeded to 5 putt that very green. Poetic justice which was complemented by an absolute torrent of abuse from me. All good natured of course.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 01 Nov 2013, 3:04 pm

Davie wrote:Why are parts of the quote missing?

The original post made perfect sense
Sorry cut n paste.
Started missing then lost confidence so changed. Simples.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 01 Nov 2013, 3:10 pm

Ha, ha. Reminds me of a mate that was putting well in one round and made comment of it on the 14th. He said that he was a putting genius and then 4 putted from about 15 feet on a relatively flat green. How I laughed. On the last needing to hole a 25 footer for a win I told him I was the putting genius and promptly holed it. He didn't find it funny, I did.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down