The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal Sets New Slam Winning Streak

+8
invisiblecoolers
JubbaIsle
bogbrush
User 774433
_homogenised_
lydian
lags72
hawkeye
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Nadal Sets New Slam Winning Streak - Page 2 Empty Nadal Sets New Slam Winning Streak

Post by hawkeye Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:10 am

First topic message reminder :

With this years win at the French Open Nadal has now won at least one slam in 9 consecutive years starting with his first win way back in 2005. This is a new record. The previous record was 8 consecutive years and was jointly held by Borg, Sampras and Federer.

For a player who many thought might have a relatively short career to end up as one of the most enduring is remarkable.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Nadal Sets New Slam Winning Streak - Page 2 Empty Re: Nadal Sets New Slam Winning Streak

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:33 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
lydian wrote:Lol BB, careful, spouting out records in a long list like that will have you deemed a Fedalito Fanboy. At the end of the day we all know the only record that truly counts is slam number. That's the hard currency modern tennis achievement has become defined by. Lets see where all these current guys ended up when they're playing on the Champions Tour...however, 17 is unlikely to be beaten by anyone anytime soon.

The accepted term is 'Fed-worshipper', I believe.

u remind me of classic "TETRA-TIGER n "IMPARTIAL LION" era.

we also had a brief "Jewell of East" and Saint - Seppi" era for a while, no idea which one was golden and which was weaker, the Tiger/Lion might be golden one I guess.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Nadal Sets New Slam Winning Streak - Page 2 Empty Re: Nadal Sets New Slam Winning Streak

Post by lydian Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Aye JHM, it's Big in Japan apparently...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:48 pm

lydian wrote:Lol BB, careful, spouting out records in a long list like that will have you deemed a Fedalito Fanboy. At the end of the day we all know the only record that truly counts is slam number. That's the hard currency modern tennis achievement has become defined by. Lets see where all these current guys ended up when they're playing on the Champions Tour...however, 17 is unlikely to be beaten by anyone anytime soon.

I'm not so sure. There is someone who could do it. Can you imagine if he did? I would write an article about it and be accused of being a young (attractive...) girl. Ha ha! I can't wait. I think all the "anti-rafelitoes" on 606v2 might get so mad the place might almost self destruct in a puff of smoke. Pfft! But then the dust would clear and bogbrush would write a long winded article explaining how 18 was really less than 17... If anyone said "18" again they would be accused of being a wum. Wink

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:36 pm

lydian wrote:Aye JHM, it's Big in Japan apparently...

Actually Indonesia .censored

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:53 pm

hawkeye wrote:

I'm not so sure. There is someone who could do it. Can you imagine if he did? I would write an article about it and be accused of being a young (attractive...) girl. Ha ha! I can't wait. I think all the "anti-rafelitoes" on 606v2 might get so mad the place might almost self destruct in a puff of smoke. Pfft! But then the dust would clear and bogbrush would write a long winded article explaining how 18 was really less than 17... If anyone said "18" again they would be accused of being a wum. Wink
Waffle.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:57 pm

I don't want to recite them, I just understand Rafalitos getting excited when they have a record all of their own to shout about.

Personally, I think right up there with17 Slams is 302 weeks at #1. Bottom line is that being the best player is biiiiiig. Especially when he did it over stiff competition including Nadal for most of his career, and over Djokovic & Murray even after his 31st birthday!

Is that a record? I don't know, probably Hawkeye could do a table.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:05 pm

bogbrush wrote:
I don't want to recite them, I just understand Rafalitos getting excited when they have a record all of their own to shout about.

Personally, I think right up there with17 Slams is 302 weeks at #1. Bottom line is that being the best player is biiiiiig. Especially when he did it over stiff competition including Nadal for most of his career, and over Djokovic & Murray even after his 31st birthday!

Exactly, and the worst part is even if requested to do all celebrations in a single thread rather than multiple thread they will still jump on us citing we are getting irritated for his achievements picard , so just to make them happy I even declared Rafa as "THE GREATEST TENNIS PLAYER OF ALL TIME Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:25 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Exactly, and the worst part is even if requested to do all celebrations in a single thread rather than multiple thread they will still jump on us citing we are getting irritated for his achievements picard, so just to make them happy I even declared Rafa as "THE GREATEST TENNIS PLAYER OF ALL TIME Very Happy

bogbrush. Everyone is well aware of what a great player Federer is. I am a fan. You don't have to shout his statistics just because Nadal has records of his own. Also if Nadal does pass the 17 slam mark it won't make Federer a lesser player. IMO whatever number of slams both players end up with wont affect how they are remembered. You should stop being so insecure.

invisiblecoolers. If you think that all talk of Nadal should be confined to one thread. What about other players? I thought this was a general tennis forum. If you don't like one topic of conversation create another yourself. I noticed you posted one recently celebrating the score in a recent Federer match. Or you could even let off steam in the recent name calling of Nadal fans thread "Excitement in the Nadal kids camp"? You don't have to discuss how Nadal has broken a long term record set by Borg. Why are you so irritated that others might be interested?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:33 pm

hawkeye wrote:

invisiblecoolers. If you think that all talk of Nadal should be confined to one thread. What about other players? I thought this was a general tennis forum. If you don't like one topic of conversation create another yourself. I noticed you posted one recently celebrating the score in a recent Federer match. Or you could even let off steam in the recent name calling of Nadal fans thread "Excitement in the Nadal kids camp"? You don't have to discuss how Nadal has broken a long term record set by Borg. Why are you so irritated that others might be interested?

If you would have made a thread to congratulate Rafa's feet I would be one of those first to congratulate Rafa and his fans for achievement, but rather tamely you been something else.

I didn't open a thread to celebrate Fed's amazing scoreline against Zverev, I am was surprised how pathetic a player could rather play given Zverev's capability, it was just another example of how back wards Tennis is going, Fed didn't play anything special in that match to get any credits, that was an average Federer schooling an average Tennis player playing below average.

Finally I didn't ask you to curtail a player to a thread, a player can have numerous threads for various themes, but we don't need numerous for one motto i.e celebration of an achievement.

Anyways do what ever you prefer HE, I never ordered you to do it, I just placed a request for some sense to prevail, if you think 1000 more threads are required for this achievement go ahead and do it, you certainly have some backup from die hard Rafitos, so go ahead.OK

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:42 pm

I thought this was a significant achievement - was quite happy to see it celebrated on it's own thread. It's an unmatched feat of longevity.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:45 am

It's impressive alright. But when people talk of slam runs, titles, Borg, etc, this isn't bad either:

1959 Wimbledon: Runner-up
1959 US Championships: Quarter Final Loser
1960 Australian Championships: CHAMPION
1960 French Championships: Round of 32 Loser
1960 Wimbledon: Runner-up
1960 US Championships: Runner-up
1961 Australian Championships: Runner-up
1961 French Championships: Semi Final Loser
1961 Wimbledon: CHAMPION
1961 US Championships: Runner-up
1962 Australian Championships: CHAMPION
1962 French Championships: CHAMPION
1962 Wimbledon: CHAMPION
1962 US Championships: CHAMPION
1963 French Pro: Runner-up
1963 Wembley Pro: Quarter Final Loser
1963 US Pro: Runner-up
1964 French Pro: Runner-up
1964 Wembley Pro: CHAMPION
1964 US Pro: CHAMPION
1965 French Pro: Runner-up
1965 Wembley Pro: CHAMPION
1965 US Pro: Runner-up
1966 French Pro: Runner-up
1966 Wembley Pro: CHAMPION
1966 US Pro: CHAMPION
1967 French Pro: CHAMPION
1967 Wembley Pro: CHAMPION
1967 US Pro: CHAMPION
1967 Wimbledon Pro: CHAMPION
1968 French Open: Runner-up
1968 Wimbledon: CHAMPION
1968 US Open: Round of 16 Loser
1969 Australian Open: CHAMPION
1969 French Open: CHAMPION
1969 Wimbledon: CHAMPION
1969 US Open: CHAMPION
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:31 am

lydian. Those stats are Lavers. Allowing for the pro equivalent to stand in for a slam his streak isn't as long as Borg, Sampras and Federer let alone Nadals 9 year record. 1963 let him down. I wonder what were the reasons? It is very difficult to produce an excellent performance every year over a long period of time even for the best players. 8 or now 9 years is a long time in terms of tennis. The rivals and challenges Nadal had in 2005 were very different than those he faces today. And of course 8 or 9 years is representative of the time span of many players entire career.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:37 am

hawkeye wrote:lydian. Those stats are Lavers.  1963 let him down. I wonder what were the reasons?
Straightforward - when he got into the pro game he found he had to jack his standard up to compete - it took him a year to get there, his experience was in common with that of most amateurs converting, although he got there quite quickly.  That's why Emerson's tally of 12 slams (half in the smaller field Australian Championships) should never be mentioned in the same breath as the modern slam accumulations by pro's.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2