The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What will be success next season?

+6
Wilder
theundisputedY2D2
liverbnz
ML
Dr Gregory House MD
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
10 posters

Go down

What will be success next season? Empty What will be success next season?

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 May 2011, 12:43 am

Pretty simple really what will constitue as success next season?

Liverpool haven't had a great season but could still finish 5th above Tottenham. A champions league spot isn't unrealistic. They seem to have money to spend and have some excellent players at the club already.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

What will be success next season? Empty Re: What will be success next season?

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 09 May 2011, 12:47 am

Im not a Liverpool fan but one spot higher in the league than this year should always qualify as sucess when a team is building as they are

A run in a cup could be a possibility as well as they have proven that they can beat anyone in a one off game

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Tue 10 May 2011, 1:53 am

Liverpool should aim for a top 4 spot next year. The January transfer window showed that the new owners are prepared to make decisions quickly. I just hope they have the sense to acquiesce to Kenny's request that he has final say on all transfers in and out of the club not Comolli, as that seems to be the only stumbling block to him being given the manager's role on a permanent basis.

It is good to see Kenny back in the manager's dugout - and good too, to see him so enthused with the game once more. A class act and a Liverpool legend.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 10 May 2011, 12:08 pm

Back in the Champions League places is the most realistic target. In my most optimistic moments I think we can challenge for the league, but in reality I think we're a couple of years away.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 May 2011, 5:25 pm

Probably depends on how much money they spend and how well Sir Kenny spends it. Hope he doesn't buy Charlie Adam he isn't needed. Gerrard,Meireles, Lucas and Shelvey are good enough.

A centre back for alongside Carragher, a good left back and a genuine winger wh puts top quality service in the box could see Liverpool challenging for the title imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed 11 May 2011, 11:20 am

Realistically, with a few genuine quality signings, we should be looking to finish in the top 4 and any one of the cups would be a nice bonus.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilder Wed 11 May 2011, 2:44 pm

Top four would be good enough for me. And with Kenny at the helm i think we will be a real force next year.

I agree about Charlie Adam, too. Before X-mas i would have taken him, but his form has taken a serious dive since then, and with the current form of our midfielders i struggle to see a place for him.

Wilder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramilas1 Thu 12 May 2011, 4:38 pm

The best signing of the year has now been confirmed with Kenny getting a 3-year deal ...... but let's not get carried away.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13378374.stm
or
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/kenny-signs-three-year-deal

I reckon a League challenge, consistently around the top four or five through the whole season, with a T4 place a realistic goal, will do for his first year - with some good Cup days/nights in the domestics and, possibly, the Europa if it happens.
Ramilas1
Ramilas1

Location : Warsaw, Poland; formerly Bracknell, Loughborough, Bordon, several others - and Ireland originally

Back to top Go down

Post by Guybrush Threepwood Fri 13 May 2011, 4:42 pm

I think it will very much depend on this summer.

Currently, I think we need some decent supply from out wide to get maximum benefit from Carroll, competition / cover at left-back and I'd suggest probably another forward who will go in behind the back line, as opposed to coming towards the ball.

Right now, I'm hopeful that at least some of this will be addressed, with possibly two marquee-type signings and some bolstering to the squad depth.

On that basis, given what Dalglish has accomplished with the current personnel, I'd optimistically like to see top 3 next season, pushing the teams above us.

Another important factor for us will be what other teams do this summer. I think Man Utd are at something of a watershed - nobody quite knows how they stand in terms of spending power anymore. The indication was seemed totally hamstrung, having £80m in the bank and barely touching it, but then re-signing Rooney with (apparently) promises of investment in the team. This summer will be telling I think.

Chelsea are in a similar position. They've signed Torres, so there are some big decisions to make in the coming months over the likes of Drogba and to a lesser extent Anelka and Kalou. They have an experienced, but aging squad with quality players but not the quality in depth pushing them anymore. I'd expect Abramovic to open the chequebook again myself.

Then we've got Arsenal who need some steel, leadership and graft, but have a manager who may well turn a blind eye to that again.

Man City who look to have learned to galvanise but still rely too much on Tevez for cutting edge.

Spurs who have a very astute chairman who will do good business if they decide to address their striker problem, but a fraud for a manager, making excuses left right and centre now he's been found out again. I wonder if he'll be there again next season or will they disrupt their preparations by replacing him?

Guybrush Threepwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 13 May 2011, 5:42 pm

A few of my friends are Liverpool fans and there expecting to be in around the title race but I think going into next season the main thing for them is to finish in the top 4.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Mon 23 May 2011, 6:44 pm

If we hadnt dropped so many points from winning positions this season then we could have sneaked into a Champions League place so 3rd or 4th next season would be a good target and a Cup win. Hopefully either Man City and/or Chelsea finish outside top 4 as well.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down