The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian Wade gets Lions call up (and so does Bradd Barrit)

+15
red_stag
LondonTiger
Bristolian
Hood83
maestegmafia
doctor_grey
glamorganalun
wales606
jelly
Duty281
Cyril
Breadvan
HammerofThunor
nathan
GLove39
19 posters

Go down

Christian Wade gets Lions call up (and so does Bradd Barrit) Empty Christian Wade gets Lions call up (and so does Bradd Barrit)

Post by GLove39 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:02 pm

Fresh from twitter, the speedster gets the Lions call up.

He'll arrive in Aus on Monday. Wonder if he'll be catapulted straight into the Brumbies game on Tuesday?

Last edited by GLove39 on Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Christian Wade gets Lions call up (and so does Bradd Barrit) Empty Re: Christian Wade gets Lions call up (and so does Bradd Barrit)

Post by nathan Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:03 pm

There's your bolter!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Christian Wade gets Lions call up (and so does Bradd Barrit) Empty Re: Christian Wade gets Lions call up (and so does Bradd Barrit)

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:06 pm

This had better be a urine take. Can't they leave us to build a squad with taking our players for the bench or pointless mid-week games? mad

I really don't like the Lions

Edit: or is it after the game tonight? Still annoyed.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:09 pm

Bowe not expected to recover at all?  Please for the lad but would've preferred he stayed in Argentina...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:11 pm

Yeah, pleased for Wade but I guess this means he's not playing this evening against Argentina?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:12 pm

He is playing tonight for England and setting off for oz after the game.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:14 pm

Withdrawn from tonight's game I think. mad

Could it be Jason Robinson 2001 all over again?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:15 pm

Jonny May in for his debut in place of Wade.

No way they would let him play tonight if they might need him on Tuesday.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:17 pm

Wow

2 wingers and 2 LHPs called up

Any idea why he has been called

I have a really bad feeling this could mean Bowe, North or Roberts are out of the series Sad
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:17 pm

This confirms Maitland was a poor selection.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:19 pm

Blimey wales606, if that's true we have some big injury worries!!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:22 pm

wales606 wrote:Wow

I have a really bad feeling this could mean Bowe, North or Roberts are out of the series Sad
I agree, that would be bad. North in particular. Australia have no one to match him. But looking forward, having Zebo on one wing and Wade on the other wing looks really fun on paper. Neither are the best defenders, so we might be moving towards Cricket scores.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:23 pm

doctor_grey wrote:

I agree, that would be bad.  North in particular.  Australia have no one to match him.   But looking forward, having Zebo on one wing and Wade on the other wing looks really fun on paper.  Neither are the best defenders, so we might be moving towards Cricket scores.

We're gonna score one more than you! Lions!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:24 pm

doctor_grey wrote:

I agree, that would be bad.  North in particular.  Australia have no one to match him.   But looking forward, having Zebo on one wing and Wade on the other wing looks really fun on paper.  Neither are the best defenders, so we might be moving towards Cricket scores.

Can't see Wade making the test team this late in the day.

If North and Bowe are out, then I guess Cuthbert and Zebo start and we pray they stay fit for 240 minutes of rugby, while Wade and Maitland start the midweek games
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:25 pm

Duty281 wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

We're gonna score one more than you! Lions!

Halfpenny's gonna convert them all, all the doodaa day
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:27 pm

Well done Wade, the superb season he has had is now rewarded by international recognition on the biggest stage....

He was many valuable posters bolter for the tour, great to see him out there. I hope that the Lions let him play vs the Argies tonight first

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:28 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

. I hope that the Lions let him play vs the Argies tonight first

Highly doubt that, I imagine they will want him to start on Tuesday with only 3 fit wingers - they will want to rest a couple for the first test if North isn't fit
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:31 pm

Delighted for Wade but gutted for England. I really wanted to see him against a fired up Argentina side (albeit, 2nd or 3rd string)

Fingers crossed this means a very well deserved start for May though and he shows us what he can do...what bet on Strettle starting instead :-(

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:39 pm

I've not posted on any Lions-related threads because I normally abide by the principle that if you have nothing good to say, say nothing (also because I could not give a fiddler's f**t about the Lions). However I'm now really annoyed that another one of our players has missed out on a cap (and further building the England squad) so he can play one or two unimportant midweek games for an antiquated British Empire throwback team.

I appreciated that almost all the fully fit professional players in Wales have gone, but surely Scotland or Ireland have some other wingers they can waste?

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:52 pm

I hope that Wade at least gets a chance to compete for the test lineup for 2nd or 3rd test. Otherwise it would seem a shame to miss out on your second cap merely to be a tackle bag carrier.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:02 pm

What problem do England fans have?

Wade is the ONLY winger they have 'lost' to the Lions. Wales have Cuthbert and North, Ireland have got Bowe and Zebo, Scotland have Maitland.

Get a grip.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:05 pm

red_stag wrote:What problem do England fans have?

Wade is the ONLY winger they have 'lost' to the Lions. Wales have Cuthbert and North, Ireland have got Bowe and Zebo, Scotland have Maitland.

Get a grip.

Well from my point of view I'd only rather players I didn't want playing for England on the Lions tour.mI wanted Wade to get some experience playing for England. This has now been taken away. I don't really care who Wales or Ireland have lost. It's not a contest.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:05 pm

For example Barritt has been called up apparently!! That's fine from my point of view

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:06 pm

Barritt has been called up!!!

Good god, is there no one else?

Luke Marshall?
Matt Scott?
Anyone...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:07 pm

Brad Barrit called up aswell according to sky?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:07 pm

I mentioned wingers because Wade is a winger, I appreciate he is the only England winger to be called up. However I didn't want any England players going on this jolly, would've preferred that they go to Argentina or even better, get a summer off.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:08 pm

Hammer I was referring to Bristolonian who called on Ireland, Scotland, Wales do give wingers.

Thunor to be honest your attitude is similar to somebody saying I don't want Tom Croft, Dan Cole, Ben Young wasted in the 6 Nations when there is a Premiership to be won.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:10 pm

Why would you rather they played against an awful Argentina team (some of the players last week weren't even full time pros) then get experience in a lions squad?

Surely playing and training with all these great players is better for them. Cannot believe what I am reading.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:13 pm

red_stag wrote:What problem do England fans have?

Get a grip.

If you're referring to one particular poster, name them and don't tar all of one nation's fans with the same brush.

As an England fan, I have no problem with Wade being called up, or anyone for that matter. It's a huge honour.

That was an unfair comment Stag.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:14 pm

Can't believe that Barrit's been called up especially the way Matt Scott's been playing. Scott must have shaken the ladder that Gatland fell off...

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:15 pm

Sorry Blue. Didn't think it was unfair. Apologies if it offended you.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:15 pm

red_stag wrote:Hammer I was referring to Bristolonian who called on Ireland, Scotland, Wales do give wingers.

Thunor to be honest your attitude is similar to somebody saying I don't want Tom Croft, Dan Cole, Ben Young wasted in the 6 Nations when there is a Premiership to be won.

It is very similar. And if they prioritise the premiership over internationals that's up to them. In the same way it's up to me whether I prioritise England over the Lions.

PS If the winger replacement isn't English he's to have to come Wales, Scotland or Ireland aren't they.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Aelandor Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:15 pm

Wade deserves the call, but Baritt??? What are Gatland and co. thinking? I mean surely 12trees was the centre cover. Can anyone explain why Barritt?

Aelandor

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:17 pm

So from this, I am assuming that firstly

- It is safe to say Roberts is out of the first test with Barritt called up
- It is likely that Roberts is out of the tour
- It is likely that North is out of the first test
- It is possible North is out of the series
- It is possible Tuilagi injury is more severe than revealed
- It is possible Bowe is unlikely to return for the second test at least.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:18 pm

RWC or not, selection for the Lions remains the pinnacle of individual achievement for a British or Irish player. Has nothing to do with the Empire or anything else; once every four years only, you get the chance to play with the creme de la creme of four different countries - what could be better?

I doubt that Wade will be able to get to Australia fast enough, either for his own dreams or for the midweek needs of the tour party.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:19 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Why would you rather they played against an awful Argentina team (some of the players last week weren't even full time pros) then get experience in a lions squad?

Surely playing and training with all these great players is better for them. Cannot believe what I am reading.

If that's the case I'd rather they spend the summer training with the All Blacks. This just means their season is extended longer and it'll effect their next season.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:20 pm

It didn't offend me, it was just unfair. Some England fans are happy for him.

Barritt is an extremely odd choice. The way Scott is playing right now, I'd have called him up!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:24 pm

You'd have to imagine right now we're looking at:

09 Phillips
10 Sexton
11 Zebo
12 Davies
13 O'Driscoll
14 Cuthbert
15 Halfpenny

20 Youngs
21 Farrell
22 Kearney

If North or Tuilagi are fit they will come into contention but it appears they will not be ready for 1st Test.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:27 pm

red_stag wrote:You'd have to imagine right now we're looking at:

09 Phillips
10 Sexton
11 Zebo
12 Davies
13 O'Driscoll
14 Cuthbert
15 Halfpenny

20 Youngs
21 Farrell
22 Kearney

If North or Tuilagi are fit they will come into contention but it appears they will not be ready for 1st Test.

Probably, still not a bad side though

I expect Hogg will be 23 over Kearney though

The problems is that is there is one more injury, there will be more drops in quality - if Barritt ends up in the tests we will be screwed
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:29 pm

red_stag wrote:You'd have to imagine right now we're looking at:

09 Phillips
10 Sexton
11 Zebo
12 Davies
13 O'Driscoll
14 Cuthbert
15 Halfpenny

20 Youngs
21 Farrell
22 Kearney

Hogg for Kearney and I reckon you are right.

My only issue with Wade being called up is he has been stood down from the test tonight yet isn't flying till tomorrow. I thus feel it is a shame that he is missing out on what would be only his second cap. He may go on to have a long career, but equally he could suffer from injuries and not have many more chances for a cap.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Sat 15 Jun 2013, 5:31 pm

Leinster - The experience of playing in a midweek team against the combined country which contained how many full time professionals? Or the Western Force 2XV? Or the Barbarians?

Stag - I don't have the temerity or arrogance to call on Ireland, Scotland or Wales to provide players. That would be gross hypocrisy on my part, as I feel that the Lions are a relic of the British Empire, an entity which (amongst other, vile, things) was based on telling other nations what to do, and is one of the reasons I am at best indifferent towards the Lions.

I stated the reasons I have not posted on any Lions threads, I certainly didn't want to offend anyone.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down